Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Off Topic Thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Anyone here a fan of Ryvita and if so what Ryvita product would you say is the best? Im cutting out bread and have tried a few oatcakes as a replacement recently and think they are lovely, really filling with a bit of hummus on them. If you like oatcakes would you like Ryvita? And also, what are the healthiest toppings for them? CHeers.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Anyone here a fan of Ryvita and if so what Ryvita product would you say is the best?
    dunno what you mean by "best", but I find the tastiest is the sesame seed one. Probably one of the higher calorie ones though, not hugely more though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im sick to death of trying to salvage a few leaves from iceberg lettuce heads to use as wraps so I buckled today and went to superquinn to buy some flour tortillas

on my way out of superquinn I decide I'll tip into the health food store that opened last week and ask futily if they had any coconut flour so I could make my own low calorie wraps

turns out they do, and it's cheaper than amazon. which is pretty awesome.

coconut flour so I could make my own low calorie wraps
    Coconut flour is relatively high calorie. Mine is 62% fat, not sure if it would make a wrap which would hold together.

I got mine for €2.75 for 400g in the Asian shop in blackrock market in dublin. I asked them to get it in for me, but I still saw some there only a week or so ago. Not sure of the price now. They are open 7 days a week 10am-8pm everyday

They are up the back of the market, where the green arrow is pointing here
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=53.300859,-6.178485&hl=en&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Let us know how the turn out Sir Digby

• Advertisement

rubadub the recipes I saw online gave pretty low calorie counts for the coconut flour tortillas although it's hard to say exactly what size they made them I suppose

even if they were almost equivelant in calories, or just a little bit less.. i'd assume the coconut flour would work in a similar way to coconut oil? high in fat so it'll keep me fuller for longer as opposed to flour wraps which are basically a sliced pan that's been jumped up and down on several times.

I'll try make them on saturday stenchblossoms, hopefully they turn out ok.

http://askgeorgie.com/coconut-flour-tortillas-grain-free-gfcf-paleo-gluten-free-younameit/

i guess they are quite small but 46 calories per tortilla is pretty good. i think the small el paso ones are 137 each

also 2 euro for 400g? wish there was an asian shop in carlow :/ 8 euro for 500g here although it is fairtrade and 100% organic so hooray for hippies I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

they look awesome, be sure to report back, pics preferably.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

I'm intrigued, though wonder if coconut flour is too high fibre for my IBS.:(

I've spent years looking for a good bread replacement, I did have a little success with some tapioca/rice flour combo, but they were so calorie dense, I'd be hungry again within the hour.

actually.. in that recipe (and others ive seen) they specify egg whites...

maybe this should go in the cooking forum but i'll ask here, anyone know why only egg whites?

actually.. in that recipe (and others ive seen) they specify egg whites...

maybe this should go in the cooking forum but i'll ask here, anyone know why only egg whites?

Probably to stop it tasting 'eggy', as in more like an omlette.

• Advertisement

ill try it with whites first I guess... although I'll have to look up how to seperate the yolk properly

ill try it with whites first I guess... although I'll have to look up how to seperate the yolk properly

Easiest way to do it for beginners I find is to:

Thoroughly wash your hands.
    Crack the egg into your hand and let the white fall between your finger tips.

I've cooked with coconut flour before and it needs quite a lot of eggs but I'm not sure why that recipe only uses the whites.

Gonna have to try that.

that is... awesome

rubadub the recipes I saw online gave pretty low calorie counts for the coconut flour tortillas although it's hard to say exactly what size they made them I suppose
    I think they might be calculating it using "defatted coconut flour", which is a sort of by product left over from when they extract the coconut oil from the whole coconut.

Mine was "east end" brand
    http://www.fatsecret.co.uk/calories-nutrition/east-end/coconut-flour/100g
    Energy 604 kcal
    Protein 5.6 g
    Carbohydrate 6.4 g
    Fat 62 g

This one is reduced fat and way less kcal
    http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=4445&prodid=5236
    Per 100g Serving:
    Energy 368kcal
    Protein 17.4g
    Carbohydrates 21.7g
    of which sugars 6.8g
    Cholesterol 0g
    Fat 15.1g
    of which saturates 14g
    Dietary Fibre 37.6g
    Sodium 0.2g
    Calcium 50mg
    Iron 11.8mg

As you say it may keep you full better. I was just concerned you might have thought they were lower cal than regular ones, and be scoffing loads!

Though my flour is high in fat it does not really seem like it is. I was cooking chicken in the oven and rolled it in a mixture of garlic powder, corn flour and coconut flour to see if it would go crispy as the fat liquefied, came out looking like a dry coating though.

the second one there is the one I have, 368kcal per 100g

i guess thats why it's more expensive? less calories + more protein per 100g?

i guess thats why it's more expensive? less calories + more protein per 100g?
    I would say the organic bit bumps it up a lot, and the fair trade. They are quite sneaky, dessicated coconut is pretty cheap per kilo, it is like they split it in 2, make oil, have leftover coconut baking flour, and charge a fortune for both of them per kilo.

The defatted ones are meant more as a substitute for wheat flour in baking, so it is probably more likely you will get the reduced fat one in health shops. While mine is really floured coconut, just finer than dessicated, and probably used in curries, so probably more likely to see full fat in asian shops.

Gram flour might be of interest to you
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055573644
    I see it in my local tesco these days, but much cheaper in asian shops. A Indian takeaway near me now sells ingredients openly, they have catering size bags too. They had 2kg bags of gram flour, while most supermarkets are only 500g.

hrm. ill have a look for gram flour when i'm running low on the coconut stuff, thanks

http://seemichellecook.com/2011/05/18/chick-pea-tortillas/

not having to mess about de-yolking eggs is certainly a plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

What dietary issues are generally linked with eczema?

My T line on my face along with my hair line is all red and inflamed. I've taken to rub e45 in.

Could I not getting enough vitamins/omega 3 or could it be something like wheat?

• Advertisement

not dietary.. but try a honey face mask (i do about 5-10 minutes) in the morning before you shower and then moisturise after with a little bit of coconut oil. dont have eczema but i have rosacea and seb derm (well I might have eczema, im not paying 50 euro to find out and I'd be doing the same thing i'm doing now anyway) and the honey/coconut oil combo has been helping it quite a bit.

Actually I look more like I have seb derm

iirc a big trigger for seb derm is sugar, natural or .. like.. sugar.. whats the word, refined?

just settle on a skincare regimen that works for you and try to eat healthy, not much more than that you can do. I will say don't stress about it. I was pretty annoyed for a year or more after I was diagnosed with rosacea but at this stage I'm just *le shrug*. There's nothing that can be done about it so there's no reason to get worked up about it, it is what it is.

iirc a big trigger for seb derm is sugar, natural or .. like.. sugar.. whats the word, refined?

just settle on a skincare regimen that works for you and try to eat healthy, not much more than that you can do. I will say don't stress about it. I was pretty annoyed for a year or more after I was diagnosed with rosacea but at this stage I'm just *le shrug*. There's nothing that can be done about it so there's no reason to get worked up about it, it is what it is.

This makes sense as it flared up over weekend and I did have more sugar then I normally would. Just have to eat as nutritious as possible.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar - Did you make the wraps?

no, i was gonna make them saturday but I went out drinking and then sunday I stayed in dying. wont be back home until wednesday now so I'll try them wed or thursday

What dietary issues are generally linked with eczema?
    Some say nightshade family plants are related to eczema & other similar skin conditions. This would be tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers & others.

The lack of sunlight will also be a factor as you have reduced vitamin D production. So eating foods higher in Vit D might help. I have a UVB light which simulates sunlight so the body generates its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

no, i was gonna make them saturday but I went out drinking and then sunday I stayed in dying. wont be back home until wednesday now so I'll try them wed or thursday

Simply not good enough. :p

i brought the coconut flour to my parents so I'll give them a crack today :)

ill put pics up whatever way they turn out, hopefully I get it right

• Advertisement

well, first batch was a disaster

i was unable to prevent a yolk from dropping into the mixture so the .... i can only call them pancakes were very eggy tasting

the mixture itself was too thick as well so i wasn't able to get them thin like a tortilla should be

http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/index.cfm/2010/9/29/coconut-flour-tortillas

used this recipe except I only had bread soda instead of baking powder.. and i doubled everything to try two tortillas

ill look more online for a recipe that uses metric measurements instead of bastard cups and tablespoons. if I have exact weights and numbers I'll have less scope to screw it up

Advertisement