Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Amazing thread. Makes us cop on and realise how minor our problems are. Lot of sadness in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Hijacked Passenger Airplanes Burning in Jordan Desert, 1970
    Story: http://www.corbisimages.com/Enlargement/Enlargement.aspx?id=U1671802&ext=1

U1671802.jpg?size=67&uid=452E5D82-C82B-48D0-9B4A-4F3B74A4F5A2

"Huge columns of smoke pour from the wreckage of three multimillion dollar international airlines destroyed by Palestine Liberation Organization guerillas at Dawson's Field in the Jordan desert. The planes, a BOAC VC10, a Swissair passenger airplane and TWA Boeing 707 were hijacked by the PLO during the preceding week. More than 200 passengers and crew are still in Arab custody in Amman while negotiations go on to exchange them for Arabs held in western jails."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Christ, what a complicated region.

Here's another few mad photographs from the Yugoslavia, these are Muslim Bosniaks in the SS (13th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Handschar (1st Croatian)). Guess the 'master race' weren't too picky when it came to their recruits in this region! And like the image of the Ustaše, it is one of those things that Serbians never really forgot about.

Hanjar_div_Himmler_Sauberzw.jpg

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101III-Mielke-036-23%2C_Waffen-SS%2C_13._Gebirgs-Div._%22Handschar%22.jpg

Something a bit modern related to the other images, is a photograph of Slobodan Milosevic making his infamous speech at the 600th Anniversary of the Battle of Kosovo in 1989. It's important for the political and ethnic connotations he invoked at the time when tensions were already running high in Yugoslavia.

milosevic-1989.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

The two photos on this link always stick in my mind.

http://www.snopes.com/katrina/photos/looters.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

mission_accomplish_1112950c.jpg

3118000837_1d1dbe57f0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sleepeee

Mountain gorillas in the regions of Congo, Uganda and Rwanda are killed by local guerillas, they are now highly endangered species. They have been known to cut off their heads and hands which they sell to people (the bodies are left as no use is made of the meat). They continue to threat to kill more if demands for immunity are not met. Sometimes they capture baby gorillas and hold them ransom.

gorillas_wideweb__470x351,0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

^^
    Ugh, that's awful.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Just watching a TV special on Michael Dwyer, the Tipperary man who was shot by Bolivian police on suspicion of anti goverment military activity. There was no guns found in his room yet police claimed they engaged in a 30 minute shoot out before killing Dwyer and 2 of his companions. Witnesses say there was no such lengthy shootout. The programme concludes that we may never know the real truth about what happened that night. RIP.

michael_dwyer_shell.jpg

nice SS runes on his tattoo there!:rolleyes: This guy wasn't an innocent bystander.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

nice SS runes on his tattoo there!:rolleyes: This guy wasn't an innocent bystander.

Re: Michael O Dwyer.
    The programme didn't suggest he was an innocent bystander either. Obviously the photo above and video clips aired prove that he had a fascination with guns but he was unarmed when he was shot through the heart at close range. His involvement in mercenary activity in Bolivia was deliberatley over-stated by police informants to the point where the police wrongly believed him to be a central player in anti government militia.

Clearly he got involved with hardened mercenaries and ended up way out of his depth. The other two men killed that night were experienced in the Balkan conflict, and out of some sense of misplaced adventure he bought into their ideas. It cost him his life. Former colleagues here in Ireland said they never knew him to be interested in subservise political matters. Yes he liked to live up to a macho image but that doesn't mean he deserved to die the way he did. They also spoke to the tatoo artist who did the job on his arm, and there was no SS loyalties in his design, whether thats entirely true is another point we'll probably never know. A sad case for his family and friends who have to live with his loss and the mystery that will always surround it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

nice SS runes on his tattoo there!
    huh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Gurgle wrote: »
    huh?

fair enough, you don't see them clearly there but there are 2 SS runes at the base of that tattoo. There are better pics of it around, and this subject has already been discussed at length on these boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭md23040

paddyland wrote: »
    1219494115.jpg

Jocelyn Wildenstein, after $4 million worth of plastic surgery...

Brigitte Bardot and Chewbacca's love child....

chimp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

chimp.jpg

What's this about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I've returned from Bannedville :) Brilliant thread guys some pictures here are amazing keep it up!

keefg wrote: »
    What's this about?

On September 23, 2008, Dorothy, a female chimpanzee in her late 40s, died of congestive heart failure. A maternal and beloved figure, Dorothy had spent eight years at Cameroon’s Sanaga-Yong Chimpanzee Rescue Center, which houses and rehabilitates chimps victimized by habitat loss and the illegal African bushmeat trade.

Szczupider, who had been a volunteer at the center, told me: “Her presence, and loss, was palpable, and resonated throughout the group. The management at Sanaga-Yong opted to let Dorothy's chimpanzee family witness her burial, so that perhaps they would understand, in their own capacity, that Dorothy would not return. Some chimps displayed aggression while others barked in frustration. But perhaps the most stunning reaction was a recurring, almost tangible silence. If one knows chimpanzees, then one knows that [they] are not [usually] silent creatures."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The Red Army raising the Soviet Flag over the Reichstag, Berlin in May 1945 signifying the destruction of Nazi Germany:

soviet-flag-raised-above-the-reichstag2.jpg

The first images returned from the surface of another planetary body. The Soviet probe Luna 9 landed on the moon in Feb, 1966 and photographed it's surroundings:

1966luna9soviets.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

waco.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

evil_seed wrote: »
    waco.jpg
    Is that the Waco seize?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

W_CHILD_wideweb__470x274,0.jpg

elephantiasis.gif

I don't know about you lot but after videos etc. i'm sh!tting this -

mayancalander.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Nixon resigns:
    picture-31.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Don't know if it has been posted already but here's a photo's that definately shook the world.

The death of the biggest drug dealer of all time, Pablo Escobar. The damage that this man done to society was unreal. He was also a killing machine. Murdering thousands of people.

97665845thedeathofpablo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭alabamawhurley

Great pics, the one I wanted to post I cant find. It was the one at the Wellington Quay Bus Crash, where Bertie Ahern is walking away from the scenes looking horrified. Ok, didnt rock the world but definately rocked Dublin. What a sad day for all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Don't know if it has been posted already but here's a photo's that definately shook the world.

The death of the biggest drug dealer of all time, Pablo Escobar. The damage that this man done to society was unreal. He was also a killing machine. Murdering thousands of people.
    Is it wrong that I feel no sympathy for this man even though he has died

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

Wow, I remember watching that live, Thats basically for alot of Iraqi people the beginning of an era.

+1 I woke up and though what the f is going on

anything with 9 11 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

smk89 wrote: »
    Is it wrong that I feel no sympathy for this man even though he has died

Hell no. Thats like saying is it wrong to feel no sympathy for Hitler when he died. The public has been crying for his head for years. The man was pure evil. He had no regard for human life. This picture was celebrated all over Columbia and the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kittykook

newbie2 wrote: »
    seal_clubbing_image_2_224556181.jpg

That is just heartbreaking...shame on humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

This thread has actually made me realise how humanity will destroy everything including each other,for what I can see,no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

you only realise that now bro?

humanity is the greatest threat to this earth since armageddon!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

you only realise that now bro?

humanity is the greatest threat to this earth since armageddon!!

They say 'life is hard' but reading this thread it seems to me that 'life is easy' - it's Humans that MAKE it hard.

Don't think any God could be responsible for any of this stuff.

Advertisement