Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Sticking with depraved serial killers:

Ian Brady
    ian-brady-404_682265c.jpg

Myra Hindley
    myraDM1507_468x655.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭md23040

El Siglo wrote: »
    Sticking with depraved serial killers evil nutter:

200px-Father_Smyth1.png

One of the first exposed, that shook this religion to its core both nationally then internationally, and has continued really ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭md23040

Years later caught out....

brendan-smyth.jpg

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Are are kidding .. that's slimline compared to this one :D

78700.jpg

Sure that might as well be an ipod nano in comparison to this yoke!:D

cellular1.jpg

md23040, they're pretty bad bastards alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

idi-amin-mohamed-amin1.jpg

Mohamed Amin, no relation of Idi and do yourselves a favour and read his book "The man who moved the world", brilliant read

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Oklahoma City Bombing:

oklahoma-city-bombing-4.jpg

Mother Theresa receiving the Nobel Peace prize:

A_025_1979_OsloNobel.jpg

Building the Statue of Liberty:

The-Statue-of-Liberty-Constructi-8.jpg

Winston Churchill's 'V for Victory'

6547.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

An amazing thread, lots of variety, and lots of information in the links. Its a terrible indictment that so many of the images are horrific but thank you to everyone for posting them.

I'd like to contribute the 2 photos that shook me up the most, but after lots of searching I just can't find them. Perhaps someone more used to image searches might be able to help.

The first was published with this article http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article3953910.ece
    It clearly showed the little girls legs on top of the rubble. So near yet so far. The phrase a parents worst nightmare is regularly overused but I think this would be mine.

The other was published with an article similar to this http://www.nytimes.com/1994/05/28/world/bodies-from-rwanda-cast-a-pall-on-lakeside-villages-in-uganda.html
    It showed bodies "skewered" together in the lake. How someone can do that to another human being is beyond me.

Thanks again to all the contributors.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ernesto Nhamuave:

2541550785_5d4c042d47_o.jpg

Ernesto was a Mozambique international burned to death in South Africa's xenophobic riots in 2008. Amazing how a country that had suffered so much through apartheid allowed this to happen.

His story is here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1024858/The-tale-flaming-man-picture-woke-world-South-Africas-xenophobia.html
    [/COLOR]

Link mightn't have been a bad idea here tbh.. very upsetting image

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Cian Barry gets his dogs back after they had been stolen.

10453xk.jpg

Didn't change the world but always makes me smile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

argosy2006 wrote: »
    first moonwalk ,shook music world
    That's Michael Jackson's first moonwalk, not the first moonwalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

2pac-tupac-amaru-shakur-10-biggie.jpg

The only photo of Tupac Shakur (2pac) and Christopher Wallace (The Notorious B.I.G), who were the main focal point of a supposed East Coast - West Coast hip hop rivalry in America, and who both lost their lives as a result.

1999_tupacmom_biggiemom_03.jpg

Afeni Shakur and Voletta Wallace, parents of Tupac and Biggie respectively, meet for the first time at an awards ceremony.

May not have shook the world, but a big deal to some people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Are are kidding .. that's slimline compared to this one :D

78700.jpg

My pops worked in the UK in the 80s and 90s and used to have one of these.
    motorola-4500x-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

First Heart Transplant performed 03 December 1967

washkansky.jpg
    Groote Schuur Hospital was placed centre stage in the world's spotlight when Professor Christiaan Barnard performed the first human heart transplant on the third of December 1967. Sadly, Mr Louis Washkansky (pictured left) only lived for 18 days, succumbing in the end to pneumonia. His new heart beat strongly to the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jackthekipper

Archimedes wrote: »
    The only photo of Tupac Shakur (2pac) and Christopher Wallace (The Notorious B.I.G), who were the main focal point of a supposed East Coast - West Coast hip hop rivalry in America, and who both lost their lives as a result.

Afeni Shakur and Voletta Wallace, parents of Tupac and Biggie respectively, meet for the first time at an awards ceremony.

May not have shook the world, but a big deal to some people.

Scumbags

Consider again at that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
    The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.
    Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
    The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.
    It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

earth-pale-blue-dot.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Cyndie holds Derek on May 8. He is on medication that hinders his speech and keeps him awake at night. Except for a few minutes while hospice nurses are with him, Cyndie spends nearly every moment of the day at his side. "I was exhausted beyond belief but I had to do this. He would call my name and always expects me to be there," Cyndie said.

In an effort to get Derek outside, Cyndie wheels him through the front door passing by artwork and cards given to her son by classmates at Bridgeway Island Elementary School. "Just like a newborn, he needs to get out and get some air," she says. It was his last trip outdoors.

Cyndie French fights her emotions May 10, as she prepares to flush out Derek's catheter with saline solution before hospice nurse Sue Kirkpatrick, left, administers a sedative that will give the 11-year-old a peaceful death. "I know in my heart I've done everything I can," Cyndie says.

Cyndie rocks her dying son as the song, "Because We Believe," plays on a cd. She sings along with Andrea Bocelli in a whispery voice. "Once in every life/There comes a time/We walk out all alone/And into the light..." From left, family friends Ashley Berger, Amy Morgan and Kelly Whysong offer comfort as Cyndie tells Derek, "It's OK, baby. I love you, little man. I love you, brave boy. I love you. I love you." Derek died soon after in his mother's arms on May 10, 2006.

Cyndie leads Derek's casket to burial with assistance from her sons Anthony Moffe, foreground, Micah Moffe, opposite him, and Vincent Morris, who is not visible, as well as several friends. "I will forever carry your memory in my heart and remind others to give of their time, energy and support to other families like ours," Cyndie says at the funeral. Derek was buried in Mount Vernon Memorial Park in Fair Oaks, California, on May 19, 2006.

These photos are so beautiful and so tragic at the same time, they really make me cry. Having lost a young relative to cancer, I can really identify with these pictures... the joy Cyndie is trying to bring into her son's last moments is selfless and full of love. What a brave little boy. Seeing things like this make me sick to think how selfish we all are.

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I noticed that myself on the use of black. And I wasn't giving a full history of the Somailia/US issue. Similiar things have have happened elsewhere in Africa and in the Middle East with US soldiers & others.

I was actually looking for a different photo, but obviously couldn't find it. The one where the US soldier is being pulled behind the jeep. I think in the one I was looking for he was alive, but dragged to his death - not sure though.

Have absolutely no idea if the soldier above is dead or not.

Shocking photo indeed, pity about the nonsesne tag, clearly made up for the viral email brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Consider again at that dot. That's here, that's home, that's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
    The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.
    Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
    The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.
    It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

[/IMG]

Carl Sagan, very intelligent and intriguing man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Just watching a TV special on Michael Dwyer, the Tipperary man who was shot by Bolivian police on suspicion of anti goverment military activity. There was no guns found in his room yet police claimed they engaged in a 30 minute shoot out before killing Dwyer and 2 of his companions. Witnesses say there was no such lengthy shootout. The programme concludes that we may never know the real truth about what happened that night. RIP.

michael_dwyer_shell.jpg

• Advertisement

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Carl Sagan, very intelligent and intriguing man.

Indeed, like the David Attenborough of astronomy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

little known bit of ww2
    ustachi brutality
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usta%C5%A1e
    ustase_jasenovac.jpg

one of the sparks in the bosnian war many years later

Mousey- wrote: »
    little known bit of ww2
    ustachi brutality
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usta%C5%A1e
    ustase_jasenovac.jpg

one of the sparks in the bosnian war many years later

Christ, what a complicated region.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Miami Weiss

Amazing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Christ, what a complicated region.
    The man in the photo you quoted was beheaded, he was a priest apparently. Theres a photo of those same soldiers holding his head in the WW2 forum. Its not too horrible but its smarter to just not post it on this thread.
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055271064

Its around page 4 for those interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

spurious wrote: »
    That's the first one I thought of too. Terrible.

Pet food sales rose 3.2% in 2009, yet Every day, almost 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes--one child every five seconds.

We can feed our dogs and cats but let a child die,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

bhrainbowwarrior3.jpg

The story behind it.

Check out youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ML1S76ejg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    There has been pictures already posted on the difference in Iran from 60s to the current day. I tried to find them but couldn't in the thread (obviously hiding).

This picture shows the difference in 20 years.

6C0F28E79C2B475DB7FA6EDEB3E23DDE.jpg

amazing..what happened to these women after? whats the article please?

• Advertisement

Rodney King beatings .. and the LA Riots.

rodney-king.jpg

la-riots.jpg

la%20riots.gif

rodneyking.jpg

why?...biggest question and lie of an answer we will get

Advertisement