Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

_38103755_manunited300x180.jpg

Ok didnt shake the world but anyone remember when the guy on the left somehow managed to get into the photo pretending to be a player

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kilkenny_kid

_42369730_ap_castro203.jpg

picture of the dove landing on Castro’s shoulder, an event considered as symbolic of his powers by believers in santeria.

FROST-NIXON.jpg

Frost and Nixon, Where Nixon spoke about Watergate, can't find proper picture.

The next picture is pretty shocking

crash2.jpg

The black Dahlia
    I linked this because it's purely disgusting. Look at it on your own free will.

http://poetry.rotten.com/black-dahlia/black-dahlia-6.jpg

marilyn-monroe.jpg

Norma Jean Baker

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭md23040

bush.jpg

At approximately 8:48 a.m. on the morning of September 11, 2001, the first pictures of the burning World Trade Center were broadcast on live television. The Pentagon, the White House, the Secret Service knew that three commercial airplanes had been hijacked. They knew that one plane had been flown deliberately into the World Trade Center’s North Tower; a second plane was wildly off course and also heading toward Manhattan; and a third plane had abruptly turned around over Ohio and was flying back toward Washington, DC.

So why, at 9:03 a.m.—fifteen minutes after it was clear the United States was under terrorist attack—did President Bush sit down with a classroom of second-graders and begin a 20-minute pre-planned photo op? No one knows the answer to that question.

What exactly was he thinking about for a whole six minutes? However far more telling is the reaction after Chief Of Staff Andrew Card informs Bush of the second impact (without mentioning the fact that more hijacked planes were in the air), then immediately steps back without waiting for a reply. What damns the Bush and Card is they should be reacting to a surprise attack, but Card acts like he is delivering a progress report and Bush does not act surprised.

However, no matter what the internet debate surrounding this (and Bush has never given any account of his actions for sitting like a stooge), his consequences afterwards are well documented with his neo-con cronnies changing the internal political landscape soon after and polorising world relations.

***Add/on The message on the blackboard to Bush's expression holding a book, really says it all, and truly ironic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭imstrongerthanu

paddyland wrote: »
    What a great story, I never knew that. A sober lesson about taking things at face value, about ASSUMING anything in this life. A moving story too. Well done. Thanks Liam.

Here's a more modern one, from the internet age. Neda Agha Soltan, shot by a sniper in Iran. A ripple went around the Earth when this YouTube video appeared...

neda-iran-video.jpg

Have a guess the sniper wasn't Iranian.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

Roy Keane ending the career of Man Citys Alfie Haaland

Let's not get off topic, but you could at least get your facts right if you're going to post the above. Haaland retired due to an injury to the opposite knee. Keane's tackle certainly did not end Haalands career, and Haaland admitted this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

The_Thing wrote: »
    Not earth-shattering, but interesting none the less:

Iran before the Islamic Revolution -> http://www.pagef30.com/2009/04/iran-in-1970s-before-islamic-revolution.html

Ah yes. If only America had kept it's nose out, Iran might still be like the earlier photos.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'%C3%A9tat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Sleipnir wrote: »
    Ah yes. If only America had kept it's nose out, Iran might still be like the earlier photos.....

Good ole' Operation Ajax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Cambodia and remains from the infamous "Killing Fields"

skulls.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

El Siglo wrote: »
    Cambodia and remains from the infamous "Killing Fields"

skulls.jpg

Eh...I posted this 3 pages back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Sleipnir wrote: »

Jesus, I never knew that.

By the way, just in addition to the Alfe Inge Haaland thing, the original poster would do well to remember that, as has been pointed out, Haaland retired from an injury to his other knee, and actually played a game for the Reserves the following week. And it is in no way comparable to the Munich Air Disaster.

Anyway...

Kent State Massacre:

18679-kent_state_massacre_nbsp_victim.jpg

Mary Ann Vecchio, a 14 year old runaway, kneeling over the body of Jeffery Miller after he was fatally shot by the National Guard. This image only strengthened American sentiment against the US invasion in Cambodia and the Vietnam War in general.

Ernesto Nhamuave:

2541550785_5d4c042d47_o.jpg

Ernesto was a Mozambique international burned to death in South Africa's xenophobic riots in 2008. Amazing how a country that had suffered so much through apartheid allowed this to happen.

His story is here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1024858/The-tale-flaming-man-picture-woke-world-South-Africas-xenophobia.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Ayankabroad

Earthhorse wrote: »
    byer16_jpg.jpg

Cyndie holds Derek on May 8. He is on medication that hinders his speech and keeps him awake at night. Except for a few minutes while hospice nurses are with him, Cyndie spends nearly every moment of the day at his side. "I was exhausted beyond belief but I had to do this. He would call my name and always expects me to be there," Cyndie said.

byer17_jpg.jpg

In an effort to get Derek outside, Cyndie wheels him through the front door passing by artwork and cards given to her son by classmates at Bridgeway Island Elementary School. "Just like a newborn, he needs to get out and get some air," she says. It was his last trip outdoors.

byer18_jpg.jpg

Cyndie French fights her emotions May 10, as she prepares to flush out Derek's catheter with saline solution before hospice nurse Sue Kirkpatrick, left, administers a sedative that will give the 11-year-old a peaceful death. "I know in my heart I've done everything I can," Cyndie says.

byer19_jpg.jpg

Cyndie rocks her dying son as the song, "Because We Believe," plays on a cd. She sings along with Andrea Bocelli in a whispery voice. "Once in every life/There comes a time/We walk out all alone/And into the light..." From left, family friends Ashley Berger, Amy Morgan and Kelly Whysong offer comfort as Cyndie tells Derek, "It's OK, baby. I love you, little man. I love you, brave boy. I love you. I love you." Derek died soon after in his mother's arms on May 10, 2006.

byer20_jpg.jpg

Cyndie leads Derek's casket to burial with assistance from her sons Anthony Moffe, foreground, Micah Moffe, opposite him, and Vincent Morris, who is not visible, as well as several friends. "I will forever carry your memory in my heart and remind others to give of their time, energy and support to other families like ours," Cyndie says at the funeral. Derek was buried in Mount Vernon Memorial Park in Fair Oaks, California, on May 19, 2006.

Definietly puts life back into perspective. Seem to loose sight of the important things in the day to day huslte without taking time to account for how lucky we can be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I am reposting this, as I want to say this is the post that I keep remembering. There is so much humanity in all its aspects represented.
    majiktripp wrote: »
    Banksy1.jpg
    An altered photo to drive home a point.
    Lipstick & The liberation of Nazi death camp, Bergen-Belsen

I can give no adequate description of the Horror Camp in which my men and myself were to spend the next month of our lives. It was just a barren wilderness, as bare as a chicken run. Corpses lay everywher, some in huge piles, sometimes they lay singly or in pairs where they had fallen.

It took a little time to get used to seeing men women and children collapse as you walked by them and to restrain oneself from going to their assistance. One had to get used early to the idea that the individual just did not count. One knew that five hundred a day were dying and that five hundred a day were going on dying for weeks before anything we could do would have the slightest effect. It was, however, not easy to watch a child choking to death from diptheria when you knew a tracheotomy and nursing could save it, one saw women drowning in their own vomit becasue they were too weak to turn over, and men eating worms as they clutched a half loaf of bread purely because they had had to eat worms to live and now could scarcely tell the difference.

Piles of corpses, naked and obscene, with a woman too weak to stand propping herself against them as she cooked the food we had given her over an open fire; men and women crouching down just anywhere in the open relieving themselves of the dysentery which was scouring their bowels, a woman standing stark naked washing herself with some issue soap in water from a tank in which the remains of a child floated.

It was shortly after the British Red Cross arrived, though it may have no connection, that a very large quantity of lipstick arrived. This was not at all what we men wanted, we were screaming for hundreds and thousands of other things and I don't know who asked for lipstick. I wish so much that I could discover who did it, it was the action of genius, sheer unadulterated brilliance. I believe nothing did more for those internees than the lipstick. Women lay in bed with no sheets and no nightie but with scarlet red lips, you saw them wantering about with nothing but a blanket over their shoulders, but with scarlet red lips. I saw a woman dead on the post mortem table and clutched in her hand was a piece of lipstick. At last someone had done something to make them individuals again, they were someone, no longer merely the number tatooed on the arm. At last they could take an interest in their appearance. That lipstick started to give them back their humanity.

An extract from the diary of Lieutenant Colonel Mervin Willett Gonin DSO who was amongst the first British soldiers to liberate Bergen-Belsen in 1945. Source: Imperial War Museum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

pebbles21 wrote: »
    _38103755_manunited300x180.jpg

Ok didnt shake the world but anyone remember when the guy on the left somehow managed to get into the photo pretending to be a player

Is there any link to a story about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Is there any link to a story about this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

Virginia Tech:
    virginia-tech-cho-seung-hui.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Folks I'm keeping an eye here and removing any posts of pics already posted. Nothing to worry about, just a bit of house keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭smodgley

link to a photograph of the moment a plane breaks the sound barrier apparently

http://rhoughton.co.uk/images/photos/sightofsound.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

JCDUB wrote: »
    Virginia Tech:
    virginia-tech-cho-seung-hui.jpg

I feel sorry for him, but at the same time, what he did was absolutely terrible and unforgiveable. So much so that I just forget about feeling sorry for him, he ended so many lives the lunatic.

There has been pictures already posted on the difference in Iran from 60s to the current day. I tried to find them but couldn't in the thread (obviously hiding).

This picture shows the difference in 20 years.

6C0F28E79C2B475DB7FA6EDEB3E23DDE.jpg

Tehran 1986 Veiled women learn how to shoot. A powerful photo of veiling women although heavily controlled by fundamentalist rules are still willing to defend their country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

The aforementioned Rosa Parks.
    Rosa%20Parks.jpg

Lech Walesa.
    wal1-003.jpg

Child Labour around the time of WWI in the US.
    BreakerBoys.jpg

Betty Grable, now found on Empty Pockets' menus everywhere. As a casual aside, she was also arguably the worlds first pinup.
    grable2.jpg

LBJ takes the oath.
    johnson.jpg

• Advertisement

Ok couldn't resist posting these ;);););)
    Although I am sure these changed the world as it was known in the 1930s.

gone-with-the-wind.jpg

wizard-of-oz-dvdcover.jpg

snow_white.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

6a00d83451b92469e201156f76b473970c-800wi.jpg
    Jaysus they just never stopped talking about it did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

motorola-dynatac-8000x-pic-2.jpg
    I think this is the first mobile ever made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

1219494115.jpg

Jocelyn Wildenstein, after $4 million worth of plastic surgery...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

elius wrote: »
    motorola-dynatac-8000x-pic-2.jpg
    I think this is the first mobile ever made

Are are kidding .. that's slimline compared to this one :D

78700.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,509 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

eng_US_embassy_bomb_628525g.jpg

The US Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya following a truck bomb in 1998.

The attacks on US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania led to Osama Bin Laden making his first appearance on the FBI's Most Wanted List.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

bed.jpg

Bryan Lee Curtis

He wanted you to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

What a fantastic thread and I am only on page 18.
    I have gone through some range of emotions this morning .

Well done to all

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Louise Brown, the world's first test tube baby, 1978

louisebrown_2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Fred and Rose West

1362_show_image_xlarge.jpg

Advertisement