Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭PaulByrne'sBald

Malty_T wrote: »
    435572a-f1.2.jpg

Sorry i dont understand, could you explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

This thread has actually made me realise how humanity will destroy everything including each other,for what I can see,no good reason.

Well, mostly in the name of one religion or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I`ve read the thread start to finish , what can you say ? Some of the pictures leave you feeling helpless as a human being , some are very sad , great thread
    Thanks to everyone !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Kittykook wrote: »
    That is just heartbreaking...shame on
    humanity

The clubbing of white seal cubs have been banned since the 1980's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

testicle wrote: »
    The US Army are doing the dragging here (Nam)

WPF+1966.jpg

AFAIK they were dragging him to be buried, but dragging nevertheless.

Just to clear up something here.

Most likely there's nothing sinister going on in this photo, dragging bodies to a place of safety is common enough practice by all armies in conflict zones.

For various reason's some dead bodies are just too dangerous to manually handle, most common is booby traps or unexploded ordnance on the decease's body.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

General Sergio Arellano Stark and General Augusto Pinochet a few hours before the departure of the Caravan of Death in September 1973.

CaravanDeath.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Trees have very slow sex.

3664.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

435572a-f1.2.jpg
    Sorry i dont understand, could you explain?

That's a graph of the matter distribution of the universe, including dark matter false-coloured to white. For a better description than I could muster, check out http://www.ted.com/talks/george_smoot_on_the_design_of_the_universe.html, from 9:45 onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Kittykook

The clubbing of white seal cubs have been banned since the 1980's.

its not actually...canada is known for its seal clubbing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

United Colours of Benetton have always courted controversy with their ad campaigns.Here are some of their most striking ads.
    1991-babysmall.jpg
    unitedcolorsofbenetton_31.jpg
    unitedcolorsofbenetton_54.thumbnail.jpg
    benetton1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭selfbuildache

ZiMZuM wrote: »
    This was the 1st picture that came to my mind..
    sad.jpg

Thank you. My final reminder to go and donate to Concern again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

81354182.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934B869679A269F9CCF3BF32E9C501FF4826FD13ED7B73D4BC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Kittykook wrote: »
    its not actually...canada is known for its seal clubbing

'It is illegal in Canada to hunt newborn harp seals known as "whitecoats". It is also illegal to hunt young, hooded seals (bluebacks). When the seal pups begin to molt their downy white fur at the age of 12–14 days, they are called ragged-jacket and can be commercially hunted.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_hunting

It seals looked like crabs/lobsters/octopuses (which are often boiled alive in water to cook them) there wouldn't be an out cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Knut - born in German zoo. Hand reared by one of the keepers after he was rejected by his mother.

49699b92ba.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

Saibh wrote: »
    Knut - born in German zoo. Hand reared by one of the keepers after he was rejected by his mother.

49699b92ba.jpg

didnt shake the world,

i hate how some pictures ruin this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Tomebagel wrote: »
    didnt shake the world,

It didn't shake the world - it made the news worldwide. There is a mixture of all type of pictures in the thread. It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.

Also
    Despite the title, photos do not have to be world-shaking. Iconic and inspiring photos are also welcome. Thank you for sharing those beautiful images.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Saibh wrote: »
    It didn't shake the world - it made the news worldwide. There is a mixture of all type of pictures in the thread. It doesn't have to be all doom and gloom.

Also

Plus it's so darned cute.:)
    Alex the African Grey Parrot, so famous, he even got a mention in TIME magazine.
    Numerous obituaries were published by various media outlets at the time of his death.
    The parrot is reknowned for making us think twice about the term "bird brain".
    alex_parrot.jpg
    Alex had the intelligence of a five-year-old child and had not reached his full potential. He had a vocabulary of 150 words. He knew the names of 50 objects and could, in addition, describe their colours, shapes and the materials they were made from. He could answer questions about objects' properties, even when he had not seen that particular combination of properties before. He could ask for things—and would reject a proffered item and ask again if it was not what he wanted. He understood, and could discuss, the concepts of “bigger”, “smaller”, “same” and “different”. And he could count up to six, including the number zero (and was grappling with the concept of “seven” when he died). He even knew when and how to apologise if he annoyed Dr Pepperberg or her collaborators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

didnt shake the world,

How does that picture ruin this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

CCCP^ wrote: »
    How does that picture ruin this thread?

Polar bears hate Christmas.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

i have just spent the last 4-5 hours looking through this thread and clicking on all the various links and looking through wiki for all the things i didnt know about. All i can say is thank-you boards.ie. This is without doubt, for me, the best thread on boards that i have ever seen. I'm going to sleep on it and hope that i can think of something suitable to add to the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

CC_LLAMAS-ON-M50102_394161t.jpg
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭g-whizz

BluesBerry wrote: »
    CC_LLAMAS-ON-M50102_394161t.jpg
    :D:D:D:D:D:D

a grand tracksuit on yer man in the background....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

nachtweyromania.jpg

_659042_orphans300.jpg

Romanian orphans 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Excaptain

Some of those pictures are pretty horrific. It would make you wonder how far humanity has come.

Why would anyone post a picture of Man Utd after seeing say a holocaust picture....strange folk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

didnt shake the world,

Have to agree, it could be a great thread if I didn't have to wade through the crap photos that people post because its just a nice photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Have to agree, it could be a great thread if I didn't have to wade through the crap photos that people post because its just a nice photo.

I too agree.

It should be divided into three threads.

Photos that Shook the World ..

Photos that made people in the World smile or frown a little ..

Photos that that are kinda cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jeege

Thank you. My final reminder to go and donate to Concern again...

I saw a piece with the photographer on telly recently, broke my heart. This picture does make you think, that poor poor child. Maybe we should count our blessings that our own children will never end up like that. Truly heart breaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I too agree.

It should be divided into three threads.

Photos that Shook the World ..

The problem is "Photos that shook the world", is still too black and white. For instance I would regard the transistor as one the inventions that has shaken this world over and over (if it wasn't for it we might be posting here). The photo's backs in it's day hardly raised a stir in the world, but nowadays the transformation we got from it makes it hard to even comprehend what life without such an invention would have been like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

The problem is "Photos that shook the world", is still too black and white. For instance I would regard the transistor as one the inventions that has shaken this world over and over (if it wasn't for it we might be posting here). The photo's backs in it's day hardly raised a stir in the world, but nowadays the transformation we got from it makes it hard to even comprehend what life without such an invention would have been like.

We could subdivide it into two threads, so, one for Photos that shook the world and Photo of things or events that shook the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jayo007

omaghbombing.jpg

Advertisement