Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

During the Falklands war

gotcha-headline.jpg

HMS-Antelope-exploding

HMS-Antelope-exploding.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Are you sure that that's a thermobaric bomb? Looks to me like a GBU Paveway bomb. Designed to penetrate bunkers and destroy the aircraft underneath.

It's part of a test sequence for the small diameter bomb series, if you go back a few pages I have a link to a page with a great looking slow motion of a similar test (steeper angle) where you can see the bomb pierce before going off. Very cool looking.

Don't think you could call it iconic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

silverharp wrote: »
    During the Falklands war

gotcha-headline.jpg

Absolutely disguisting and abhorrent. People died, it wasn't a game of tag ffs. Our family has never bought the Sun and that's one of the major reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Absolutely disguisting and abhorrent. People died, it wasn't a game of tag ffs. Our family has never bought the Sun and that's one of the major reasons.

I was only a kid during it but its not an image you forget in a hurry. I vaguely remember cheering on Argentina:o I believe there were cheers in the pubs when the news showed a British ship getting it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Cheat!!!!!

article-1023170-016EF48100000578-716_468x593.jpg

Cheats - plural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

http://www.antiwar.com/news/?articleid=2444

Abu Ghraib Prison Abuse photo's - might have been already posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

above, a photograph from the 1995 BBC documetary called 'The Dying Rooms'. This really shook my world. It wasn't caused by famine or war, it was as a result of China's 'one child' policy.

see clip below (some disturbing images)

http://www.unmadeinchina.org/galleria.asp?lang=en&idPag=206

****ing hell, thats one of the hardest things I've ever had to sit through, how could anyone leave children in those conditions, that kid in the picture looked so pathetic and ill it was hard to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Sleepeee

http://www.unmadeinchina.org/galleri...g=en&idPag=206

I don't want to copy and paste your image again DEtectivFoxtrot, but that has really shook me. I followed the link also and watched the short clip and I am numbed. It is similar to the orphanages I saw a documentary on in Russia, why Debbie Deegan set up to russia with love. It's one thing to hear stories but it's only when you see images like this that it becomes real.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Are you sure that that's a thermobaric bomb? Looks to me like a GBU Paveway bomb. Designed to penetrate bunkers and destroy the aircraft underneath. I first thought Iraq (Gulf War 1990-1)
    Agreed, it's a penetration bomb rather than a thermobaric device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

This is the best thread i've ever seen on boards.

Insignificant compared to some of the images but this is Roger Bannister redefining the perceived limits of mans physical capabilities with the first sub 4 minute mile.

RogerBannisterB&W.tif.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

El Siglo wrote: »
    I don't know if this is iconic or not, but it says a lot about the US being the greatest super power... well in Vietnam anyway!
    This is a CH-47A Chinook from the Army of the Republic of Vietnam (ARVN) being dumped overboard during the final days of the Vietnam War, circa 1975. It is the only known photograph of a Chinook getting dumped into the sea and is a rare shot of a Chinook with the rotor blades folded. Found it here.

I've seen video footage of them dumping aircraft from the carriers but can't find any on youtube. They had to dump them to make room for more and more that were landing with US troops and staff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

FX Meister wrote: »
    I've seen video footage of them dumping aircraft from the carriers but can't find any on youtube. They had to dump them to make room for more and more that were landing with US troops and staff

I find this picture far more iconic than the chinook one but same situation:

carrieredge.jpg

For me the below picture signifies America's entry to World War 2:

k13513.jpg

Best picture I could get. The Arizona was a battleship that was hit by Japanese dive bombers at Pearl Harbour, its magazine section exploded and the ship itself was destroyed. America declared War the next day and after WWII their influence on world politics has been enormous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Fall of Saigon
    fall_of_saigon.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

first moonwalk ,shook music world49-michael-jackson-moonwalk-lg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Tsar Bomba - the most powerful nuclear weapon ever used, detonated by Russia near Sibera/Arctic region.
    picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=1113

That's a French nuclear bomb. Taken in 1970 when the French mil*i*tary tested a num*ber of nuclear bombs on the French Póly*ne*sian islands of Mururoa and Fán*gata*ufa.

Still a beautiful pic.

The aul Tsar Bomba was much much larger.

tzarbomba.jpg

NukeCompa2.JPG

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Colonel Stanislav Yevgrafovich Petrov

Some of us might not be here if it wasnt for this man.

sp2.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

435572a-f1.2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Two opposing photo's.

Tenzing Norgay at the summit of Mount Everest in 1953.

tenzing-norgay-on-everest-summit.jpg

Don Walsh and Jacques Piccard inside Trieste, at the bottom of the Mariana Trench in the Pacific ocean 1960.

369px-Bathyscaphe_Trieste_Piccard-Walsh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

The damage to the Apollo 13's service module.

apollo_13_damage.jpg

Neville Chamberlain's diary entry

v0_master.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

skulls.jpg

Victims of Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

article-1224976-0709FCF0000005DC-145_634x497.jpg

Heil Hitler on The Mall: The day London played host to a Nazi funeral . . . within yards of Buckingham Palace

The above extraordinary photo captured in April 1936, showed the funeral of the German Ambassador Leopold Von Hoesch, with the people clearly giving the Nazi salute on the balcony of the Germany Embassy on Carlton House Terrace, overlooking The Mall.The above image and footage were unearthed for the Discovery Channel programme: ‘Wartime London with Harry Harris’, a London cab driver and historian who has driven a taxi for two decades.

http://iconicphotos.wordpress.com/2009/11/03/a-nazi-funeral-in-london/

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Dentist - Nature Style.
    97689.jpg
    Cancer Cell Moving down a pore *shudders*
    cancer%20cell%20down%20a%20pore.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Malty_T wrote: »
    Cancer Cell Moving down a pore *shudders*
    cancer%20cell%20down%20a%20pore.jpg

WOW :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Saibh wrote: »
    Whiddy island - 08 January 1979. Oil tanker Betelgeuse exploded at the offshore jetty of the Whiddy Island Oil Terminal, due to the failure of the ship's structure during an operation to discharge its cargo of oil. The explosion and resulting fire claimed the lives of 50 people (42 French nationals, 7 Irish nationals and 1 United Kingdom national).

Betelgeuse1.JPG

And one dutch diver whilst raising the wreck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I wish I didn't see that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Irelands first, and only, Olymic gold boxing medal
    michaelcarruth.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Piper Alpha:

piper-alpha_lg.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

I'm gonna just link this one, because some people will probably throw up, but freaks like me will enjoy it.

http://www.derrenbrown.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tongue-eating-parasite.jpg

http://twistedsifter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tongue-eating-parasite.jpg

Cymothoa exigua or the Tongue eating louse is a parisitic crustacean of the family Cymothoiadae. It tends to be 3 to 4 cm long. This parasite enters through the gills of a fish, and then attaches itself at the base of the fish's tongue. It then proceeds to extract blood through the claws on its front three pairs of legs. As the parasite grows, less and less blood reaches the tongue, and eventually the organ atrophies from lack of blood. The parasite then replaces the fish's tongue by attaching its own body to the muscles of the tongue stub. The fish is able to use the parasite just like a normal tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I'm gonna just link this one, because some people will probably throw up, but freaks like me will enjoy it.

http://www.derrenbrown.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tongue-eating-parasite.jpg

http://twistedsifter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/tongue-eating-parasite.jpg

Cymothoa exigua or the Tongue eating louse is a parisitic crustacean of the family Cymothoiadae. It tends to be 3 to 4 cm long. This parasite enters through the gills of a fish, and then attaches itself at the base of the fish's tongue. It then proceeds to extract blood through the claws on its front three pairs of legs. As the parasite grows, less and less blood reaches the tongue, and eventually the organ atrophies from lack of blood. The parasite then replaces the fish's tongue by attaching its own body to the muscles of the tongue stub. The fish is able to use the parasite just like a normal tongue.

dear God, imagine pulling a bird in coppers or some joint of equally low esteem and her having a parasite as a tongue. and then complaining that you wouldn't score with her cos she deals with it just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

^^

In the first pic...it reminds me of Mr. Burns :o

Advertisement