Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January Exams

Options
  • 21-11-2009 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

How hard are they? was talking to a girl in my course (mature student) and she was saying that they are harder than the LC. I know its early enough to be talking about them, but im curious! Should I be studying now for them??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Really, it depends on a number of factors. What year are you in? I assume first year - the exams get increasingly harder as you go on as there is more in depth material to study. However, in first year they are relatively easy if you are familiar with the material and do the work given to you.

Tbh, I have never found them harder than then the LC and if you are generally smart you should pass them grand. If you are having problems with a certain subject you should put a good bit of work into that.

I usually start studying around now for the exam but again, it depends on the amount of study needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

How hard are they? was talking to a girl in my course (mature student) and she was saying that they are harder than the LC. I know its early enough to be talking about them, but im curious! Should I be studying now for them??

thats ballix, the exams are very straight forward imo, get the past papers, get the notes off moodle, and just write out short bullet point notes you'll be grand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Any idea when the exam timetable goes up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Any idea when the exam timetable goes up?

think its first week of december so next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 butter_cup

The exams timetable is up on the ITT Dublin website
    http://www.ittdublin.ie/StudentLife/ExamTimetables/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

They are not hard, but they are more focussed than the Leaving Cert.

If you know the material, of course they won't be hard. As others have said, the key is doing past exam papers to get a feeling for the type of questions to expect.

This will also give you points to revise.

Edit: If you need some advice from somebody who has set exams not only at ITT and other ITs, feel free to ask. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Anyone know how the marking goes? I got a B in a continous assesstment, it was worth 35% overall, so what % would I have got?

Also is an overall pass 35% or 40%?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Anyone know how the marking goes? I got a B in a continous assesstment, it was worth 35% overall, so what % would I have got?

Also is an overall pass 35% or 40%?

You have to pass both the CA element and the exam element - so if you have a B (call it 80% ) in a 35% that's 28 marks towards your 100%

You still need 40%+ in the written or 26 marks to "pass" the written section giving you a minimum of 52 marks out of 100 as a starter

The pass mark can be variable - depending on if you are allowed to compensate a grade to a pass etc.

macrubicon wrote: »
    You have to pass both the CA element and the exam element - so if you have a B (call it 80% ) in a 35% that's 28 marks towards your 100%

You still need 40%+ in the written or 26 marks to "pass" the written section giving you a minimum of 52 marks out of 100 as a starter

The pass mark can be variable - depending on if you are allowed to compensate a grade to a pass etc.

There is no written, it's all CA.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭macrubicon

There is no written, it's all CA.

Then it's just a case of passing each of your CA's....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I only have two exams after Christmas ... :)

Exams are fine, once you're prepared for them and know the course content fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Exams are fine, once you're prepared for them and know the course content fairly well.

Eggs won't give you salmonella if you prepare them correctly...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Power-surge

I cant study for these exams at all. No motivation what so ever!!

1st year, only 3 exams, it's night before studying for me (I already have a bit of % in all 3).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭wirelessdude

what are the bands for grades in 4th year. i know 80%+ is considered a 1:1 and below 40% is a fail but what bands are a 2:1 and a 2:2

is it 50-69% for a 2:1 and 40-59% for a 2:2

I have 6 exams, its like the LC all over again :( I havent opened a book and the exams are in 9 days...i'll try and get a bit of work done today but I doubt i'll stay long at it!!

Examination Timetables

The January 2010 Examinations
    Winter Semester Examinations
    Thursday 7th - Saturday 16th January 2010
    Please Click HERE for the January 2010 Exam Timetables
    IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR ALL STUDENTS:
    · All 1st, 2nd & 3rd year exams are held in the National Basketball Arena unless otherwise stated on exam timetables.
    · A shuttle bus service will run from IT Tallaght to the National Basketball Arena (and vice versa).
    · Strictly 45 mins before the commencement of the exams.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: STUDENT ID CARDS

IT IS THE STUDENTS RESPONSIBILITY TO PROVIDE CURRENT VALID STUDENT ID CARDS FOR ALL EXAMINATIONS. FAILURE TO PRODUCE THIS ID AT EACH EXAM WILL RESULT IN THE ISSUING OF A CHARGE OF €30.00. EXAMINATION RESULTS WILL BE WITHHELD FOR NON-PAYMENT OF THIS CHARGE.

PART TIME STUDENTS CAN COLLECT STUDENT CARDS FROM THE LIFELONG LEARNING OFFICE.
    FULL TIME STUDENTS CAN COLLECT STUDENT CARDS FROM THE REGISTRARS OFFICE.
    Repeat Exam Form January 2010 If you have any queries please contact the Examinations Office ( examinationsoffice@ittdublin.ie ) or select the links above on the right hand side to find out about directions to the exams, floor-maps, disability and special needs and other frequently asked questions.

Anyone elses exam times change? Two of mine were at 9.30 and now they're at 12.30.

Heres hoping it snows heavy as predicted for Thursday and the exams are cancelled!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Heres hoping it snows heavy as predicted for Thursday and the exams are cancelled!! :D

i would probaley explode with happyness

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Best of luck in your exams people! :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cheers Bryn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Anyone elses exam times change? Two of mine were at 9.30 and now they're at 12.30.

Mine went from 9-30 to 15-30. Either way it's going to be a joke for me getting up. Don't want to drive either. The state of the country roads out here.

Is there any chance at all they will be cancelled? I live a good bit away from the college and the snow is falling very heavily around here. I heard its very bad in Tallaght aswell. How are the country people supposed to get to college if public transport is affected??

Is there any chance at all they will be cancelled? I live a good bit away from the college and the snow is falling very heavily around here. I heard its very bad in Tallaght aswell. How are the country people supposed to get to college if public transport is affected??

Same boat as myself. Cars are blocked in, in my area. Buses have been cancelled and tbh the train will have me leaving 2-3 before I'd like and plus the money issue. 20 quid is fairly steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

They should definitely cancel them, but at the moment it's not looking good. Snow has stopped, and it's not quite that bad. Most of the secondary and primary schools are off. Guess we're just not that lucky. :(

Go onto the college website, they have pushed the exams back half an hour. What good is that?? Do what Letterkenny IT did and cancel them!!

Go onto the college website, they have pushed the exams back half an hour. What good is that?? Do what Letterkenny IT did and cancel them!!
    It's a load of bull. I'm going to have to leave at 8 to get up there all buses in my area have been cancelled until Friday.

Have to be called off ffs, I do't have exams till Saturday, but Dublin Bus might not be running tomorrow, trains might be disrupted, etc... Meant to hit -12 or something tonight and with Tallaght near the mountains it's going to be crazy.

• Advertisement

They are not being called off as Dublin Bus services will be resumed in the morning.

That's the quote I got from our class rep...

Looks like I'm going to have a long journey tomorrow so.

Advertisement