Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city drinking water update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Vivara wrote: »
    Also, does anyone know whether teachers will continue to strike? I thought the only ones deferring it were those who could help in flood effort (doctors, nurses, public aid workers, etc).

Thanks.

From RTE:
    Members of SIPTU, IMPACT and the TEEU have deferred their planned industrial action in Galway, Cork and Clare on Tuesday, to work on recovery efforts following devastating floods.

No mentions of the teaching unions withdrawing strike notice. Looks only to be those involved in the flood effort. Doctors weren't going on strike anyway btw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I feel for those without water but I was wondering do the rest of us with water have to modify our water usage or does it help in any way?
    I was about to wash the cars this morning but thought it might be a bad idea so abandoned the plan.
    I don't want to make matters worse but don't want to hold back unnecessarily, I in the southern suburbs.

I'd say it might be a good idea to hold off on that for a while. The City may be drawing more of the water from the "City & Harbour Scheme" that feeds the southern suburbs than it usually would be.

So, I'd say the less strain on tight resources the better!

The rain will do a good job on the car in the meantime :D

Back a few pages ago we were talking about how CBC was opening tomorrow..

Someone I know suggested that they could be connected to an old water supply providing the barracks, which is very close.

But then again, the building is only 20 years old, so why would it be? Scoil Mhuire just down the end of the same hill has no water, and a house even closer, which is also older, has no water supply too.

We first thought it could be because they would've had a half day at 12.00 anyway, but now it seems they will open for the whole week.

Can anyone shed some light? Have a look at this map illustrating locations of the various places I've mentioned.

Also, does anyone know whether teachers will continue to strike? I thought the only ones deferring it were those who could help in flood effort (doctors, nurses, public aid workers, etc).

Thanks.

I'm not sure, the supply system is pretty complex and has many quirks!

If the don't have water though, I would say parents (and students) will kick up quite a stink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

I feel for those without water but I was wondering do the rest of us with water have to modify our water usage or does it help in any way?
    I was about to wash the cars this morning but thought it might be a bad idea so abandoned the plan.
    I don't want to make matters worse but don't want to hold back unnecessarily, I in the southern suburbs.

It helps a lot - thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Solair wrote: »
    It's really strange though the way some places have it and a couple of streets away the taps are dry.

I've mentioned this a few time's so far but I am going to repeat myself again, I cant stress this enough.

There might be a case where houses are receiving water through back siphon of the mains supply. If you picture a house on top of a hill and one on the bottom of the same hill, its possible for the lower house to siphon the water supply from the higher house during a time mains supplies are shut off. In an ideal situation with a house plumbed to the regulations this might not happen but unfortunately in Ireland it can happen.

If you have received a notice that your water is turned off and you run out of water but it suddenly comes back on without notice be very careful as the water may be contaminated.

If in doubt boil the water first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

cop on adam please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

adamd164 wrote: »
    -post edited-

Dont think that was called for tbh , it was only a question about the water situation !!! Some people can be so smug !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

It is difficult to comprehend the idea of having no water, after all it's not something that happens regularly, and people are stressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

We have no water up here in the montenotte area either. it went off this morning. I heard on the radio that its not going to be back on until at least next weekend. Is that true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

suppafly wrote: »
    We have no water up here in the montenotte area either. it went off this morning. I heard on the radio that its not going to be back on until at least next weekend. Is that true?

Probably but we aren't likely to get any information at midnight on a Sunday night. I expect there will be lots of updates tomorrow.

• Advertisement

items wrote: »
    I've mentioned this a few time's so far but I am going to repeat myself again, I cant stress this enough.

There might be a case where houses are receiving water through back siphon of the mains supply. If you picture a house on top of a hill and one on the bottom of the same hill, its possible for the lower house to siphon the water supply from the higher house during a time mains supplies are shut off. In an ideal situation with a house plumbed to the regulations this might not happen but unfortunately in Ireland it can happen.

If you have received a notice that your water is turned off and you run out of water but it suddenly comes back on without notice be very careful as the water may be contaminated.

If in doubt boil the water first.

it regularly happens in britain too. We're the only countries in the world with attic tanks! Most sensible countries have non return valves at the demarkstion point between the house & the public network.

I think though, given the volume, cleanliness and pressure of the water coming through in some areas it's just intermittent supply or complex & quirky pipe layouts.

I'd agree though, if your water is on unexpectedly boil it!
    No point in taking chances!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Solair wrote: »
    it regularly happens in britain too. We're the only countries in the world with attic tanks! Most sensible countries have non return valves at the demarkstion point between the house & the public network.

I think though, given the volume, cleanliness and pressure of the water coming through in some areas it's just intermittent supply or complex & quirky pipe layouts.

I'd agree though, if your water is on unexpectedly boil it!
    No point in taking chances!!

If I was living in Cork City the first thing I would do is shut off my own mains supply, all those houses have a NRV more than likely located under the kitchen sink, a manual one called the stopcock.

What bothers me most, we all know a lot of water is lost in the mains water supplies from the source, old leaking lead pipes, old cast cracked etc. Even tho the source is safe its possible that it can be contaminated on the way to the outlet, contaminated flood water can be drawn into the mains via the leak points. I could be going a bit over board but giving the situation down there, its very hard to rule it out especially if that contaminated water is coming from sewage and waste water etc. Unless all the toilets are working A OK and not backing up, and coming out of AJ's etc to be mixing with the flood waters, you could rule it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Back a few pages ago we were talking about how CBC was opening tomorrow..

Someone I know suggested that they could be connected to an old water supply providing the barracks, which is very close.

But then again, the building is only 20 years old, so why would it be? Scoil Mhuire just down the end of the same hill has no water, and a house even closer, which is also older, has no water supply too.

We first thought it could be because they would've had a half day at 12.00 anyway, but now it seems they will open for the whole week.

Can anyone shed some light? Have a look at this map illustrating locations of the various places I've mentioned.

Thanks.

I live just off wellington road and i have water. 96fm has no water and theyr very near me so it's a bit hit and miss so maybe CBS have water too.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

Any updates on the water at all? I haven't had any since Friday morning but haven't heard any updates on when it might be back etc. Where are people finding out any info or updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

mimihops wrote: »
    Any updates on the water at all? I haven't had any since Friday morning but haven't heard any updates on when it might be back etc. Where are people finding out any info or updates?

The only website I've found updates on has been www.corkcity.ie

Very helpful regarding where to access the free water tanks. If anyone has any other useful websites can they post them please?

I'm sure I've asked this question in another thread but does anyone know if it's true that we will be without water for the week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 GeistigerMuell

NoDice wrote: »
    I'm sure I've asked this question in another thread but does anyone know if it's true that we will be without water for the week?

I heard different stories so far. Some say for at least 5 days from today, but nothing official yet.

From www.corkcity.ie I just saw that
    The plant at Lee Road Waterworks has been accessed and damage is currently being assessed.

From what I understand it's not completely clear how big the damage is yet. I don't get my hopes up though, I guess it will take the better part of the week before water is running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The best site for frequent updates is Laura's :
    http://lauramcgonigle.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Looks like Douglas & Well Rd areas, might be getting some sort of water back. Laura McGonigle was just on 96fm. When they were building the new Tesco, they put in a pump that connects the County water supply to the city, so they are now trying to get this working to get water back to some houses.

Fair play like, they were there at midnight last night, so nobody cant say they are working hard. Hopefully there is something they can do for the Northside now as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Spindle wrote: »
    Looks like Douglas & Well Rd areas, might be getting some sort of water back. Laura McGonigle was just on 96fm. When they were building the new Tesco, they put in a pump that connects the County water supply to the city, so they are now trying to get this working to get water back to some houses.

Fair play like, they were there at midnight last night, so nobody cant say they are working hard. Hopefully there is something they can do for the Northside now as well.

I'm on the Douglas Road and we have water this morning. Not sure if this is why but I'm not complaining.

The best site for frequent updates is Laura's :
    http://lauramcgonigle.ie/

Along with the Cork City site, quite poor really :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

RoverJames wrote: »
    Along with the Cork City site, quite poor really :(

Laura McGonigile is doing trojan work to keep people informed as to what's going on. She's gone way above and beyond the call of duty.
    She could just attend council meeting and little else but she is, off her own bat, providing information on her web site, on twitter and is also answering questions directly on this forum (and maybe others), while having leaflets printed and distributed and going on the radio. She's probably doing more that I'm not aware of too.

Your lack of appreciation is not appreciated.

I, for one, hope that all her out of pocket expenses will be well covered.

Yes, the information on the city council site could be better - hardly surprising really!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Laura McGonigile is doing trojan work to keep people informed as to what's going on.

she really is. fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Laura McGonigle lives in my estate so for once I am glad to live near a councillor! If she gets water then so will I, win win! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

phi3 wrote: »
    I live just off wellington road and i have water. 96fm has no water and theyr very near me so it's a bit hit and miss so maybe CBC have water too.

Actually, they don't have water, but a reserve tank that should last a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

In fairness she's not the only councillor who is on the ball. I met a colleague of hers yesterday up in Blackpool. Sad to say, same party as Laura - do the "ruling" classes not care? I was surprised to hear Prendy on 96fm this morning saying that Biffo is "coming to gawk".

Valerie is doing a reasonable job but there does seem to be a dearth of information regarding a number of areas that were ok until some time on Saturday and Sunday but then lost water from Saturday onwards despite suggestions that anybody who wasn't already hit would be ok. This doesn't appear to be the case, I'm hearing reports of pockets of areas still loosing services today. I wasn't too impressed to read about 2 areas having services restored just minutes after losing my own service late afternoon on Saturday.

Whats been poor is the following:
    1. 3 days (almost) to provide emergency supplies to city centre fringe areas
    2. no reliable supply of suitable containers - I see neighbours trying to collect rainwater in tiny pots and pans for flushing, clearly they've got nothing else suitable
    3. a particular lack of consideration for non car-owners in terms of emergency provision
    4. information has been patchy and sometimes inaccurate - for example it was widely reported on the radio on Friday that ALL access into/out of the city was disrupted on Friday when in reality the 2 bridges East of Patricks bridge were ok. Another problem is lack of maps defining where areas are located which makes information on disconnects and reconnects difficult to interpret for lay persons.
    5. And of course a real key problem is that because of the nature of the area impacted, there are whole extended families being hit - I know families where maybe one house out of 3 or 4 have still got water which not only means that all their relatives are descending on one house, its making it impossible for people with no family in Cork to get help because friends are impacted also and anybody they do know is already snowed under helping out their own families first.
    6. Why can the council not provide public showers somewhere where services are not impacted for people who don't have somewhere else to go (work/family/friends)?
    7. Why not provide port-a-loo servies dotted around high density residential areas to encourage people to conserve limited supplies rather than waste vast amounts of water on flushing bogs (it takes at least 6 litres of water per flush - so a household of 5 flushing just once a day is 30 litres - now think of a house like mine where there are at least 15 people living - thats 90 litres - a lot of water wastage there)?

shoegirl wrote: »
    think of a house like mine where there are at least 15 people living

15! :eek: wtf?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

kingtut wrote: »
    15! :eek: wtf?!

Actually the house is divided into 12 flats, only about 2 are "single" units, which means that potentially, there could be up to 22 people living here.

Thats actually the case for at least 4 or 5 other houses on the same terrace BTW.
    Overcrowding is a very real issue in this area of the city that isn't even visible really as an issue.
    15 is a "minimum" guess by the way, as far as I know 2 of the "double bedroom" units have just one person living there and at least 3 are couples, possibly well more.

Welcome to the real world of renting in converted properties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Old Youghal Road/Glen area here. Been using the 5L containers from Tesco - and they're in the Mace down the street now.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

kingtut wrote: »
    Laura McGonigle lives in my estate so for once I am glad to live near a councillor! If she gets water then so will I, win win! :D
    Pff! Laura McGonigle doesn't live in Cork City! I don't think she ever has, in fact. It's just politically advantageous for her to work in this ward. She wouldn't say hello to you unless she considered that it was politically advantageous. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Pff! Laura McGonigle doesn't live in Cork City! I don't think she ever has, in fact. It's just politically advantageous for her to work in this ward. She wouldn't say hello to you unless she considered that it was politically advantageous. :rolleyes:

Well she has a house in the same estate as me, maybe she does not 'live' in it but she still has a house there. I have never bothered asking her if she sleeps there.
    She wouldn't say hello to you unless she considered that it was politically advantageous. :rolleyes:

Are you speaking from experience? I have no interest in politics or politicians however I would never bad mouth them unless I had first hand experience of it...

Advertisement