Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city drinking water update

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blackest

Tweedmount just got its supply back a little brown slow and spurting but its here :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

I rang yesterday at around 4:30pm and they said it would be back in 24 hours. Still nothing.

I rang again just now and they said it would be Wednesday at the latest.

Great. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Quyxat

Another CC update:

"The majority of affected households north of the River Lee – North Channel have had their supply restored, however there are some areas still affected on which work is continuing to restore supply. It is expected that the majority of households in these areas will be reconnected by Tuesday, 1st December 2009."

Source: http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22328,en.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cupple

Just wondering are people having problems with their gas boilers over the last 2 days ..even those whose water hadnt been shut off. Im wondering is it down to the low water pressure now!! The heating is not working upstairs in my house and water is not heating up either..If it is down to low pressure generally aroud the place. Shouldnt the City Council be warning people about this ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭corkfella

ya i've been 10 days without water and now due to the water pressure going out of my boiler, no heat for 2 days, its getting a bit to be a bit of a fupping pain, but at least we are in better condition than the west. although I think the council have been fairly poor in this respect, I don't believe this one in 800 year event and the sooner plans are made to relocate the lee road treatment plant the better.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Still no water on Tower Street. Even though I know everything that can be done to restore water is being done. It is nonetheless complete bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I live on western road and we had water back two days after the flood. It then went again for 5 days and now its back, spurting and a little brown at times. Almost no pressure from the cold tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Can't sleep so did a bit of digging around, compared to the 1986 flood (previous worst flood) we were well in excess of what was experienced back then. Peak inflow into the reservoir behind Inniscara in 1986 was 504 metres cubed/second* (approx 500 tons of water a second if that makes it easier to imagine) and peak discharge was 331. This time around, the numbers I've been hearing tossed about have been around 850 m3/s inflow and 520 m3/s discharge at peak.

The scale of the increase is insane and gives an idea of how exceptional the circumstances lying behind this were. (68% more water flowing in behind the dam per second than the previous high mark set by the previous worst flood)

ESB report on the 1986 flood is here for any who are interested: http://www.floodmaps.ie/View/GetReport.aspx?ReportID=228

*Quoted as 600 in a newspaper article, I assume that 504 is the correct figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Still only have a damp squib of water! Cant have showers, cant put on washing! It is gone beyond annoying at this stage and the novelty of flushing the toilet without having to manually fill the cistern has worn off. I just want water!

It makes you wonder why you pay taxes when they cant even provide a basic infrastructure of water. Surely they need to build a backup now so that this doesn't happen again. Also the lack of leadership and information has been a disgrace throughout this whole mess.

Every time you ring the council number you get a different story and yarn of when the water will be back etc. Monday by the latest, then Tuesday by the latest, now Wednesday! Not to mention being told, "oh you were never without water", "you don't get your water from the lee road and never did".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭corkfella

I just rang them up now, I'm on windmill road and they say it will be tomorrow, nearly 2 whole weeks without water...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Just phoned again about Ballinlough/temple. They said maybe tomorrow, but they couldn't guarantee anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

Hi Nesf like myself i tend to wake early too! In your research how you come across the pipeline network in the city. what has puzzled me from the first day of this crisis is why city council could not indicate the areas (if any) in the city which were supplied from the Inniscarra Treatment Plant and thereby would not be affected. My interest is partly created by a visit recently to the Inniscarra Plant and there was a large map on a wall indicating the routes of the pipelines with live flashing indicators showing from memory the levels of various reservoirs. If people had known that they would not be affected there would not have been the near panic of buying bottled water..several 5 litre flagons in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

No chance we could keep the flood chatter to the cork city & esb at war over floods thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Update on the council website:

"Cork City Council wishes to advise the media and the public that the roll-out of mains water supply is now nearing completion"

No mention that the supply is so weak you cant use anything with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

dewdrop wrote: »
    Hi Nesf like myself i tend to wake early too! In your research how you come across the pipeline network in the city. what has puzzled me from the first day of this crisis is why city council could not indicate the areas (if any) in the city which were supplied from the Inniscarra Treatment Plant and thereby would not be affected. My interest is partly created by a visit recently to the Inniscarra Plant and there was a large map on a wall indicating the routes of the pipelines with live flashing indicators showing from memory the levels of various reservoirs. If people had known that they would not be affected there would not have been the near panic of buying bottled water..several 5 litre flagons in our house.

Honestly, I've no idea why this wasn't done. There might be some good reason for not doing it but I don't know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Saltour Sossiez

http://lauramcgonigle.ie/2009/12/02/water-update-hopefull-the-last-one/

Hopefully I'll have some kind of water later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Just talking to someone on High Street, still no water - 14 days off at this stage. Nice service.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nizarol

evilivor wrote: »
    Just talking to someone on High Street, still no water - 14 days off at this stage. Nice service.

got ours back this morning, old blackrock road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

we got our waterback last sunday night after it being out for a week. it was all browny yellowly for the first 2 days and then went the right colour. I don't we can drink it yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

When the water is back everywhere all the posters should have a drink!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I'm up in Glasheen and the water has been back for several days - but I don't know whether I can drink it, or how to find out if I can drink it? It's running clear and seemingly at full strength, but I'm still wary.

Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

_Roz_ wrote: »
    I'm up in Glasheen and the water has been back for several days - but I don't know whether I can drink it, or how to find out if I can drink it? It's running clear and seemingly at full strength, but I'm still wary.

Anyone know?

You should be good for drinking the water, as far as I knew the boil water notice was only on the northside of the city & some county areas to the north as well. The boil water notice has been lifted now anyway.
    As the supply of mains water has returned to normal, Cork City Council, following consultation with the HSE, has lifted the Boil Water Notice covering mains water supplied by Cork City Council to all areas north on the River Lee – North Channel (including those areas outside the city boundary as detailed on attached map) from 16:00 hours today (Wednesday, 2nd December 2009).

Cork City Council is happy to advise the media and the public that the quality of its mains water supply has returned to its pre-emergency levels. Supplies to the affected areas of the southside are expected to return to normal over the coming hours and should be fully restored in virtually all areas by tomorrrow.

Cork City Council wishes to thank the people of Cork for their patience, forbearance and co-operation in overcoming the inconvenience caused by the recent unprecedented flooding in the city.
    Link

Awesome, cheers, just wanted to check. Now going to ingest vast quantites of good ole H2O :D

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

I'd still be a bit wary. We've had our water back all week, but it's still a bit yellow.
    This might be completely coincidental, but one of my housemates, and a few other people I've heard of have been struck with 24 hour vomiting bugs. Nothing too unusual in winter, and it could easily have been something they picked up through human contact.
    You may draw your own conclusions. Me, I'll shower and wash clothes happily, but I'm sticking to drinking bottled water for another while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

It's over. Official.

Cork City Council – End of Civic Emergency (12 noon, Friday 4/12/09)

As the supply of mains water to the city and its environs has returned to normal, City Manager Joe Gavin has formally declared an end to the Civic Emergency caused by the recent unprecedented flooding in the city.

http://corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22348,en.html

Yeah my water still tastes a bit odd, so I'm only drinking a little when I run out of bottled stuff (which I usually drink anyway.)

Advertisement