Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city drinking water update

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Dublin media don't give a monkeys either. On about the strike on Tuesday and the Henry handball. HALF THE COUNTRY IS ****ED, pull your heads out of your asses and consider the rest of us for once!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

sunnyside wrote: »
    It has been to the extent that the majority of the city centre was cleared of water within hours, the drinking water didn't get contaminated. Clean water is being provided in tanks. Nobody was killed or hurt, nobody in Cork is going to die of cholera.....to that end it's a success. Of course it's going to be majorly inconvenient but that's not as bad as putting people in danger.

People will die mainly elderly and the sick because of this.
    The water tankers are a joke unless you have access to transport and large water containers they are useless. Most old people in the city do not have there own cars, nevermind water container.
    The bottom floor of an acute hospital had to be evacuated.
    This is a major disaster and its only developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lisnsooz

I'm on Victoria Road and we lost our water yesterday (Saturday) between 2 and 3pm (cos I went out and came back to no water). The garage across the road is merrily cleaning cars all morning though (maybe they've a tank or something). Am a bit bemused about it all I have to say! I thought we were OK as made it to Saturday with water (and lucky when the Old Blackrock Road and other nearby roads behind us has none since Friday!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭craigb

im in greenmount and woke this morn to have water back on again , its been off for the last 2 days , still dont no how clean or contaminated it is

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nizarol

Solair: just to be sure to be sure..a normal GFCH system is ok to use with the water off?? (Brothers house)

for a combi-boiler the options are heating and water/ off/ water only..can the i use the heating function? (my house)
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭dewdrop

It seems incredible to me from the start of this problem that City Hall did not give precise details either by map or otherwise of the areas which get water from the unaffected Inniscarra Treatment Plant. People in these areas have been caused unnecessary worry and expense and should be offering water to the less fortunate people who are cut off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭craigb

nizarol wrote: »
    Solair: just to be sure to be sure..a normal GFCH system is ok to use with the water off?? (Brothers house)

for a combi-boiler the options are heating and water/ off/ water only..can the i use the heating function? (my house)
    thanks

yes and yes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭sporina

we have no cold water but we have water - can we use this a little or is there a risk of ruining the tank - boiler is the tank runs out?
    we have oil heating which heats water in the rads..

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The water in the hot tap is from the tank in the atic I'd say keep it for flushing the toilets while you have it. Use bottles water for drinking etc. Dont think you'd ruin anything by using it. As was said the heating is a sepertate system its ok to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

sporina wrote: »
    we have no cold water but we have water - can we use this a little or is there a risk of ruining the tank - boiler is the tank runs out?
    we have oil heating which heats water in the rads..

thanks in advance

The only real problem is that when the water comes back on, your system will start to re-fill the hot water tank. The water's likely to be dirty & gritty for a while, and that's likely to end up in your hot tank.

also, don't shower in it if the heats on. You could get very hot water!

Make sure the electric immersion is fully off!!
    Do not use shower pumps

You are unlikely to damage the tank by using it, but it's just a better idea to leave the cylinder full.

If you've no option, use it!

It's unlikely you'll get much water out of it anyway, as ultimately it's all pressurised by your cold water system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭munstercork

If any one needs water give me a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Anyone know if MacCurtain St. Area has water?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭munstercork

phi3 wrote: »
    not drinking water anyway

my mate lives in an apartment in union house and they have water - off there now to have a shower.

oh thats on the road after mccurtain st - after the traffic lights

Solair wrote: »
    The only real problem is that when the water comes back on, your system will start to re-fill the hot water tank. The water's likely to be dirty & gritty for a while, and that's likely to end up in your hot tank.

also, don't shower in it if the heats on. You could get very hot water!

Make sure the electric immersion is fully off!!
    Do not use shower pumps

You are unlikely to damage the tank by using it, but it's just a better idea to leave the cylinder full.

If you've no option, use it!

It's unlikely you'll get much water out of it anyway, as ultimately it's all pressurised by your cold water system!

hot water GONE now - will there be any unsavory consequences apart from dirty water (when it comes back on)?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Dob74 wrote: »
    The water tankers are a joke unless you have access to transport and large water containers they are useless. Most old people in the city do not have there own cars, nevermind water container.

People won't die. Folk still have electricity. Water tankers aren't a joke - folk can get water there. Neighbours will distribute water . The Guards up Northside are distributing water.

Get over your sensationalism - it's a crisis but it's not New Orleans.

What do you expect to happen ? Do you expect the waterworks to suddenly rise out of the river miraclously dry ?

The information vacuum from the council is questionable but at least they are out there with water and working on the issue.

Now would be an ideal time for all local councillors (who have been briefed) to go around door-to-door in their own areas and help out. They can do it at election time so they should be able to do it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Dob74 wrote: »

:rolleyes: Obviously it's not ideal but that's why we have to help one another out especially elderly people. Massive water containers aren't essential, a few 2 litre bottles from a supermarket means people will have drinking water.

Does the city centre have water? I've got this image of very long toilet queues in places like McDonalds and annoyed business owners..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Unfortunately in Ireland Plumbing and Heating systems are installed and maintained under extremely minimal regulations. All over Ireland every single tom dick and harry can "have a go" with Plumbing systems, this also includes sanitation and waste services.

Anyone who is in an effected area with water services turned off that "suddenly" return to use this may be as a result of "back siphonage". Their is a possibility that water is being available to some households as a result of back siphonage and its possible that water is contaminated.

I would be extremely cautious when using the water supplies, look out for signs of lower water pressure than normal, aeration (air in water) and discoloration of the water.

When the water supplies are turned back on further delays are to be expected, blockages in mains supplies, blockages in outlets (ball cock attic tank), air locks throughout the plumbing system, waste and sanitation blockages and many more.

I have contacted the Cork Co Councilor posting on this site looking for the contact information of the emergency/volunteer groups located in Cork, I have yet to receive a reply. If anybody reading this knows contact detail's of any of the above can your forward them to me via private message. I am finding it difficult to make contact with the emergency/volunteer groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

items wrote: »

I have contacted the Cork Co Councilor posting on this site looking for the contact information of the emergency/volunteer groups located in Cork, I have yet to receive a reply. If anybody reading this knows contact detail's of any of the above can your forward them to me via private message. I am finding it difficult to make contact with the emergency/volunteer groups.

From her updates she was up half the night printing leaflets which she planned on dropping to 2000 houses today with the help of some volunteers, starting at 1pm today. So she's just not at a desk at the moment to be replying to emails and PM's but she will definitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 talbina

Hi

I am new to Cork. I live on Wellington Road and do not have a car (or tons of containers suitbale to carry water over long distances).
    I have been trying to find out if any of the water stations are close to me with no success.
    I also do not own a radio and really have no idea what is going on since the information online is so patchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

talbina wrote: »
    Hi

I am new to Cork. I live on Wellington Road and do not have a car (or tons of containers suitbale to carry water over long distances).
    I have been trying to find out if any of the water stations are close to me with no success.
    I also do not own a radio and really have no idea what is going on since the information online is so patchy.

Hi Talbina. So you have no water? I presume that means Christian Brothers College will have none either and will have to close.

Here are the water stations around the city (as posted before):

• Ballyvolane Shopping Centre
    • Blackpool Shopping Centre
    • Hollyhill Shopping Centre
    • St. Mary’s Orthopaedic Hospital, Gurranabraher
    • Nemo Rangers GAA, South Douglas Road

Hydrant Stand Pipes are also in place in the following areas:
    • Musgrave Part (Entrance), Pearse Road, Ballyphehane
    • Ardmahon Estate, Ballinlough
    • Junction Togher Road / Clashduv Road
    • Sandymount Drive, Summerstown Grove, Glasheen
    • Mardyke Walk (opp. UCC Sports Complex)

EDIT: Talbina, you can use Google Maps (http://maps.google.com) and click 'Get Directions', then input where you are and one that seems close to you. It will tell you how to get there. —Ed

If schools have stocks of hand sanitizing gel do they have to close? Or is it purely because of non-flushing toilets and the health risks that can cause?

UGH! We got water back (on the Douglas Road) for a few hours, but it was probably something to do with 'back siphonage' as described earlier by a poster. Disaster altogether really.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

Hi

Heya, you can listen to 96fm online, just google it. Found the station to be very helpful and up to date. News reports are on the hour. If you text in any q's i'm sure they'd be willing to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 talbina

I already tried to look up the water stations on Google maps, they all seem like they are more than a half an hour away from me, the ones that I could find!
    How am I supposed to carry water for such a long distance! This is beyond terrible.
    I had water until this morning but now my taps are completely dry. I do not know anybody in the city that has a car. These solutions are not helpful to people new to the city or those that do not have a car.
    Does anybody now if downtown has water like Merchants Quay and such?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Hi

I am new to Cork. .

there's a camping supplies shop, called the Tent Shop on York St. York st. is the hill that runs down from wellington road to macurtain st. (there's a small corner shop at the top). you should be able to buy a container for water in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Vivara wrote: »

If schools have stocks of hand sanitizing gel do they have to close? Or is it purely because of non-flushing toilets and the health risks that can cause?

UGH! We got water back (on the Douglas Road) for a few hours, but it was probably something to do with 'back siphonage' as described earlier by a poster. Disaster altogether really.

Ed.

If a schools water supply is shut off it would have to close, same with collages etc, any public building really with a high volume of citizens would have to close if it had no mains water supply over a prolonged period of time.

Were you given notice of your water been shut off and then it came back on without any notice? Then went back off again? Is this happening in many areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

There is sone kind of a supply in the city centre, I can only assume that there is a contingency system allowing water to be transferred from the City & Harbour network ie the water works at inniscarra dam. This might explain the low water pressure & the odd intermittent supply in the low lying suburbs ie the system pressure must be extremely low. I would suspect this might explain supplies rather than just back syphioning.

Anyone who is getting any unexpected water supplies should boil it!
    There could be contaminated water in the Lee Rd supplied system, so just treat it with caution & boil!!

If a schools water supply is shut off it would have to close, same with collages etc, any public building really with a high volume of citizens would have to close if it had no mains water supply over a prolonged period of time.

Anyone catch what they said on 96fm about CBC on Wellington Road (very close to their studio)? All I heard was 'Christian Brothers, yes' and something about them being close. I can't see how if that area has no water how they could open if it's such a health risk.
    Were you given notice of your water been shut off and then it came back on without any notice? Then went back off again? Is this happening in many areas?

It had been gone since Friday morning like everyone else pumped by the Lee Road. But early this morning we got water and taps that made very strange noises and then it went off again a few hours later. As someone explained, I think it was because of 'back siphonage'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

craigb wrote: »
    im in greenmount and woke this morn to have water back on again , its been off for the last 2 days , still dont no how clean or contaminated it is

I live near there & have water upstairs but not downstairs :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Vivara wrote: »
    Anyone catch what they said on 96fm about CBC on Wellington Road (very close to their studio)? All I heard was 'Christian Brothers, yes' and something about them being close. I can't see how if that area has no water how they could open if it's such a health risk.

It had been gone since Friday morning like everyone else pumped by the Lee Road. But early this morning we got water and taps that made very strange noises and then it went off again a few hours later. As someone explained, I think it was because of 'back siphonage'.

Ed.

They said Christians School is opening.

• Advertisement

They said Christians School is opening.

I don't understand how they can if the Wellington Road area has no water. As we established, it is a health risk.

Advertisement