Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city drinking water update

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

themonboys wrote: »
    I heard Sunday is the earliest that the water might return, anyone else hear this?

Yes this is absolutely true. It will be no sooner than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

Vivara wrote: »
    Yes this is absolutely true. It will be no sooner than this.

Thanks, it's going to be a smelly weekend!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

themonboys wrote: »
    Thanks, it's going to be a smelly weekend!!!!!

Most of the gyms and hotels around the city centre have opened up their gym shower fascilities to people who need them. Info on the corkcitycouncil website.

sunnyside wrote: »
    Most of the gyms and hotels around the city centre have opened up their gym shower fascilities to people who need them. Info on the corkcitycouncil website.

Thanks for that but I'm ok, got a sister living in the countryside with loads of water!!!
    I was more thinking about other people who aren't so lucky!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 LauraMcGonigle

People over the last few days have been asking who they should contact if they want to volunteer to help out.

Advice from City Hall is that those who wish to help out are being asked to contact the Cork Volunteer Centre on 021 4559296

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭nattyguest

Just a post for anyone in the North East - there's been a tanker at the Boherboy road junction just inside Ashmount since last Friday. People have been filling up drinking water from it but now it's been finally added to the website:

Water for Sanitary purposes only

Water for sanitary purposes only is available at the following locations:

North East

§ · Silversprings Hill/ Boherboy Road Junction

http://www.corkcity.ie/news/mainbody,22267,en.html

Update: A nice engineer from the council called me and explained the sanitary water is the same water given for drinking but doesn't go through as rigourous as QC testing. Seems this site wasn't indicated correct at the site level or website level that it was sanitary only so they're going to look into that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I just rang the freephone helpline for the water department as I heard that water from the Lee waterworks was being pumped and would return to householders in the area over the next day or two. They have issued a boil notice on this water. We are in the Ballinlough area and have not had water since Friday last until yesterday, so we presumed we were supplied by the Lee waterworks. However the person on the council helpline was adamant we weren't supplied by the Lee waterworks and had no explanation as to why we lost our water. What I want to know is does anyone know what areas are supplied by the Lee Waterworks so I know whether to adhere to the boil notice or not? And how can I find out what was wrong with our water supply and when it will be back as the council helpline didn't know why our area was without water? Bearing in mind there are water tankers all around the area too so everyone around locally was without water. Its very confusing when you can't seem to get accurate information on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Spindle wrote: »
    I just rang the freephone helpline for the water department as I heard that water from the Lee waterworks was being pumped and would return to householders in the area over the next day or two. They have issued a boil notice on this water. We are in the Ballinlough area and have not had water since Friday last until yesterday, so we presumed we were supplied by the Lee waterworks. However the person on the council helpline was adamant we weren't supplied by the Lee waterworks and had no explanation as to why we lost our water. What I want to know is does anyone know what areas are supplied by the Lee Waterworks so I know whether to adhere to the boil notice or not? And how can I find out what was wrong with our water supply and when it will be back as the council helpline didn't know why our area was without water? Bearing in mind there are water tankers all around the area too so everyone around locally was without water. Its very confusing when you can't seem to get accurate information on this.

You are definitely pumped by the Lee Road. Don't listen to him! It's all CITY northside and, CITY Douglas, CITY boundary side of Blackrock, Ballinlough and all along Boreenmanna Road. All pumped by Lee Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

Anyone know if the water is back around the Barrack Street- Magazine Road area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

Return of piped water supply – advice to householders – NEW (4.15 p.m., 26/11/09)

FREEFONE 1800 283 034 (8am – 10pm)

Outside of these hours, please telephone the 24-hour emergency number 021 4966512

It is anticipated that normal piped water supplies will roll-out to the affected areas of the northside of the city over the coming days.

Cork City Council wishes to advise that customers may experience difficulties with regard to pressure, air locks and discoloration as the supply is restored. These difficulties are normal and to be expected after the major disruption that has occurred to the water supply system.

Among the difficulties that can be expected are:

· Fluctuations in water pressure – will affect the rate of flow from taps.

· Discoloration – may occur, but will dissipate over time.

· Airlocks – impeding the flow of water.

Consumers are asked to allow time for water to settle in their storage tanks/pipes and to ensure the clarity of water before using washing machines and other washing appliances so as to prevent staining.

Meanwhile both emergency drinking water (subject to ongoing advice re boil before use) and sanitary water will continue to be made available at 55 locations around the city and will continue until water supplies are satisfactorily restored to all areas. Details of locations are available on the Cork City Council website www.corkcity.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Right, some details/explanation for people:

First I'm not an engineer or anything like that so my explanations will not necessarily be fully correct but I know a lot of people will be confused as to how fast they'll get water back so I'll try to clear up a few things.

It's going to take time for the system to repressurise fully. This means that water will be restored fastest to homes closer to the pump station and downhill areas. Water will get to all parts of the city but this will take time and some areas will suffer from lower water pressure than others for a while. A few days should see these problems resolved.

There will be some problems with the water system due to silting (build up of silt in the main water pipes etc) and this will affect water quality for a time. This again will resolve itself after a while.

Water will be restored fully to everyone but it will take time. It's just the nature of the beast unfortunately. The pumps have been up and running since yesterday (late evening) filling the reservoirs and repressurising the system so people hopefully will see water back in their taps very soon!

For those frustrated by this: Honestly, guys have been working crazy hours around the clock to get the pumps back online and all the associated pieces of electrical gear back in place. Everything had to checked, dismantled, cleaned, repaired etc. It could not have been done any faster in fairness to the people involved and both public and private sector workers have done an excellent job getting everything back in place so quickly and they should be commended for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

My heart goes out to all you flood victims, just wondering is it possible to have a standby pumping equipment that could be installed in future as a back up instead of having to wait to repair existing plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

danjo-xx wrote: »
    My heart goes out to all you flood victims, just wondering is it possible to have a standby pumping equipment that could be installed in future as a back up instead of having to wait to repair existing plant?

The standby pumps were in the same building due to the nature of the task and were damaged along with the active pumps.

Basically the building sits on top of an underground multi-million litre tank of clean water that's been processed by the water treatment facilities. The pumping equipment needs to be on top of this tank to get water flowing. The long-term solution to this will be to move the station out to the dam (not official, just my thinking!) but this will take years to get done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Water seems to be back in our place now on Blarney Street. Not sure for how long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

plazzTT wrote: »
    Water seems to be back in our place now on Blarney Street. Not sure for how long.

According to this you may have it back for good. There is a boil notice on anything used for drinking, cooking etc.

Hope it gets back round my way soon. I have just used the last from the tank. :(

I just passed by Shandon St and there was a worker releasing water down the street from a valve/manhole , trying to get air locks out I'd say. Looks like the water is back in your area for good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

As per the link in Mudokon's port:
    Cork City Council wishes to advise that water is now being restored to the following streets and surrounding areas:

Lee Road
    Sunday’s Well Road
    North Mall
    Shandon Street
    Great William O’Brien Street
    Watercourse Road
    Thomas Davis Street
    Commons Road to junction with Pophams Road
    Blarney Street

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Im only around the corner and still out. Getting closer though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

From what I've read on the council website, the areas on lower elevations are to be pumped to first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I know that we are being told that this is a once in 800 years event etc etc but, there are a number of short to medium term concerns raised:

1: what makes people so sure that it won't be repeated. Weather patterns are changing and all of the global warming climate models point towards that exact kind of extreme weather for Ireland and Britain.

2: why is one of the most essential pieces of infrastructure in the city installed at almost water level and not flood proof?!?

3: it sends out a message that water supplies to the city centre and northside are insecure. The length of time that water has been off in the Northern half of the city in particular is bordering on ridiculous at this stage. Many areas now face into their 9th day without water and it's going to be anything up to 11 days or more by the time it is restarted.

What worries me is that this will make investors (both Irish & overseas) nervous about siting major facilities or critical operations in the City Centre & northside.

Given that we are in urgent need of jobs, this issue needs to be addressed very quickly! If the waterworks needs to be moved the ball needs to start rolling now. The existing plant equipment also needs to be flood proofed ie things like control systems etc moved to a higher level or up a floor.

We simply cannot afford to have this happen again!

There are plenty of already struggling businesses who have been crippled by this fiasco.

We simply have to fortify the infrastructure & be seen to be doing something too!

This entire episode sends out a very negative message - it screams of poor and insecure infrastructure.

If we want an economy this simply cannot be allowed to ever happen again!

The scale and duration of this disruption are quite frankly unacceptable in a developed country!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

They need to build an interconnector to join both supplies in the city together!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

I'm living on the north mall, directly opposite where the quay wall collapsed. We weren't affected and I considered myself really lucky. Even the water was fine bar one day last weekend.

But I got up this morning and all of the water was a blacky yellow! the taps, shower, toilet.. :(

Any ideas why it would only be affecting me now??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

System is getting flushed out and therefore the silt gets disturbed in the pipes and hence the discolouration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

What about the southside, areas like High Street/Capwell, any idea when they'll get water back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

To be honest I don't care what people say about them working hard/doing the best they can etc. Its an absolute joke of the highest order and an utter disgrace. 9 days without water, your having a laugh. I drove past the water works sun or monday night and there was 1 car outside there and I couldn't see anyone doing anything. There should be teams and teams of people working flat out 24/7 to get it back. Shocking effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭nacl

They need to build an interconnector to join both supplies in the city together!

This is doing wonders for North-South relations.

I had a shower on the southside last week. Fascinating people down there.

Might even go back someday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

evilivor wrote: »
    What about the southside, areas like High Street/Capwell, any idea when they'll get water back?

I'm not far from there, I just phoned the council helpline & they reckon it will be the early part of next week before water is back. :(

That is one of the things about this, there is still very little information being passed on by the council unless you go looking for it. :mad: Surely using the web as a source of information is more effective in situations like this rather than a phone line.

I know they would have to provide the phoneline as well for people who dont have access to the web but it would reduce the volume of calls to the helpline

Advertisement