Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city drinking water update

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭buckrodgers

Leeside wrote: »
    Many thanks to Laura McGonigle for coming on here and clarifying the position. I have water at present I will now sleep a little easier tonight. My heart goes out to people who look like facing all next week without any water.

Will schools who don't have water close next week? If toilets can't be flushed, I'd imagine a health hazard could be created very quickly

I agree, thank you Laura. I had been running around filliing everything I could find with water! My thoughts are also with everyone who doesnt have water. Is there anything those with water can do to help?

Schools affected will be closed, my kids are in one of them, the school texted me to say they wouldnt be open on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 LauraMcGonigle

I agree, thank you Laura. I had been running around filliing everything I could find with water! My thoughts are also with everyone who doesnt have water. Is there anything those with water can do to help?

Schools affected will be closed, my kids are in one of them, the school texted me to say they wouldnt be open on Monday.

I think the City is really depending on a community spirit. Check on those who may not have acces to the water depots, especially the elderly.

Consider collecting rain water for friends and family to use in cistern!

Offer someone the use of your shower?!?! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Water gone to a trickle here in shanakiel/hollyhill now. was ok until an hour or so ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

I think the City is really depending on a community spirit. Check on those who may not have acces to the water depots, especially the elderly.

Consider collecting rain water for friends and family to use in cistern!

Offer someone the use of your shower?!?! ;)

You can use mine anytime Laura :D

Nice to see you here ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

josieo wrote: »
    living on summerhill north water gone since early this morning 3 kids its a joke city flooding yet we cant wash or use toilet and nobody seems to know whats going on

I posted on one of the other threads earlier that people are criticising the council unfairly. Nobody was expecting this and they are doing a good job of providing general assistance with the water tanks. They don't have the resources to provide individual help. We need to work with them and help one another out with the minor things while they work on the bigger job of restoring water supply.

Anybody who needs individual assistance with anything just has to contact the local garda station and they will provide help.

Thanks to LauraMcGonigle for coming on here with an official update. No other public representative has used message boards and twitter to pass on information. That update will calm a lot of stressed people tonight. I'm sure now that Laura has found us she will post more updates in the coming days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I think it's great to see a Deputy Lord Mayor engaging with the discussion forums and twitter.

Thanks for the updates and the useful info!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Well done Laura for keeping people informed.

No doubt questions, about the ESB decision to unleash so much water from the Inniscarra dam, will be seriously looked at in the coming days.

Insurance companies are launching investigations into the devastation caused by the ESB move but for now its of paramount importance that people read Laura's posts, her website and the City Council website on how to turn around a dire situation and use some innovative alternative methods as suggested earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Big Tone wrote: »
    Please read the advice from city council website carefully, you have options.

Here are the extracts applicable to your situation which you might find helpful.

"Toilet flushing

If there is no water for flushing toilets, it is important that all water used for washing, bathing, and from cooking (i.e. water from boiled vegetables) or washing up is saved in buckets to be used for flushing....."

Tip: DO NOT pour hot water into your toilet, it can crack the bowl / cistern!!
    Also, don't put anything that can clog the cistern valves into the tank e.g. strained carrots :D

Stargate wrote: »
    You can use mine anytime Laura :D

Nice to see you here ;)

Ha Ha!! Thanks for the offer!! Be prepared though - things gonna get smelly as the week goes on!!

sunnyside wrote: »

Thanks to LauraMcGonigle for coming on here with an official update. No other public representative has used message boards and twitter to pass on information. That update will calm a lot of stressed people tonight. I'm sure now that Laura has found us she will post more updates in the coming days.

Yip will keep ye as updated as I am! But best place to get updates in on my website at www.lauramcgonigle.ie where you can sign up to receive daily updates!

• Advertisement

Big Tone wrote: »
    Well done Laura for keeping people informed.

No doubt questions, about the ESB decision to unleash so much water from the Inniscarra dam, will be seriously looked at in the coming days.

Insurance companies are launching investigations into the devastation caused by the ESB move but for now its of paramount importance that people read Laura's posts, her website and the City Council website on how to turn around a dire situation and use some innovative alternative methods as suggested earlier.

Definately questions to be asked, but not right now - we need to use all our energies to put right the situation at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Atlantic1

Agree with previous posters, Laura. Nice to see you here!

Ha Ha!! Thanks for the offer!! Be prepared though - things gonna get smelly as the week goes on!!

Theres a Texaco garage nearby Laura , i know how to use the carwash hose :D

A lot of people will have an easier sleep tonight because of your updates ;)
    Fair dews to you for coming on here and letting us know what was going on !
    I`ll keep you in mind for the shower LOL :cool: oh and my vote too hehehe:p

tryin to work out where u live if there is a texaco nearby!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

She's only been here 5 minutes and she has friends already:D

tryin to work out where u live if there is a texaco nearby!!

LoL Laura :p Theres another garage nearer to me , but to be honest the hose wouldnt be powerful enough for a good wash :D , hence the meantion of the Texaco garage :eek: plus you get an extra blast of Techron in your tank , now that cant be all bad eh? :P:cool:

LoL Laura :p Theres another garage nearer to me , but to be honest the hose wouldnt be powerful enough for a good wash :D , hence the meantion of the Texaco garage :eek: plus you get an extra blast of Techron in your tank , now that cant be all bad eh? :P:cool:

I think i may just take my chances!!

sunnyside wrote: »
    She's only been here 5 minutes and she has friends already:D

I've kinda come into contact with her recently, in her capacity as a Councillor. She's a representative for our area. Class act!

Atlantic1 wrote: »
    I've kinda come into contact with her recently, in her capacity as a Councillor. She's a representative for our area. Class act!

I could get a swelled head if this keeps going!

But ye are keeping me company while I'm getting leafets ready for tomorrow's drop!

I think i may just take my chances!!

HeeHee :D;):p

Very Refreshing Laura to see you here on this forum . Nice to see THAT HAPPENING with all thats going on all over the city these past few days Laura !!

Will you be hanging round here again or is it just while the floodings about?
    Good way to get to grass root problems this way , plus make friends and offers of a powerful hose down should you ever need one LOL :cool:

• Advertisement

I could get a swelled head if this keeps going!

But ye are keeping me company while I'm getting leafets ready for tomorrow's drop!

People who do their jobs and do them well , deserve to have their heads swollen :D

HeeHee :D;):p

Very Refreshing Laura to see you here on this forum . Nice to see THAT HAPPENING with all thats going on all over the city these past few days Laura !!

Will you be hanging round here again or is it just while the floodings about?
    Good way to get to grass root problems this way , plus make friends and offers of a powerful hose down should you ever need one LOL :cool:

Stargate, stop trying to hit on Laura!!! :D

HaHa that made me burst out laughing Atlantic1 , did i beat You to it then eh? :p

EDIT ; besides Laura is far too busy now ;-) Hope the drop goes well tomorrow and this City recovers real fast

HaHa that made me burst out laughing Atlantic1 , did i beat You to it then eh? :p

Maybe we should both stop before Laura gets totally carried away with all this attention. Having said that, we could always have pistols at dawn..... :D

Maybe we should both stop before Laura gets totally carried away with all this attention. Having said that, we could always have pistols at dawn..... :D

Atlantic1 ...... Im answering 2 threads with you LOL ;) all i asked was if your water was clear :eek: :P

EDIT : did you mean Water pistols ;-)

Atlantic1 ...... Im answering 2 threads with you LOL ;) all i asked was if your water was clear :eek: :P

EDIT : did you mean Water pistols ;-)

Sorry Stargate. A bit slow there. Heading to bed. Must harvest all those rainwater receptacles early in the morning! ;)

Sorry Stargate. A bit slow there. Heading to bed. Must harvest all those rainwater receptacles early in the morning! ;)

Me too Atlantic1

Catch ya about i hope , sleep well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I am sure you've already heard it before but it cant be stressed enough, stay well clear of mains tap water, even stored tap water.

I am a qualified plumber in the north east, since I heard about the dangers on fri I have been trying to contact the emergency/volunteer groups so I can go down there and help out all to no avail. I am certain I can be of use. When systems come back in line, their will be massive amounts of water problems and help will be required.

Can someone please send me contact details for any of the volunteer groups via private message? I would like to make my way down on Monday to help out but I've no idea where to go.

Many thanks.

items wrote: »
    I am sure you've already heard it before but it cant be stressed enough, stay well clear of mains tap water, even stored tap water.

I am a qualified plumber in the north east, since I heard about the dangers on fri I have been trying to contact the emergency/volunteer groups so I can go down there and help out all to no avail. I am certain I can be of use. When systems come back in line, their will be massive amounts of water problems and help will be required.

Can someone please send me contact details for any of the volunteer groups via private message? I would like to make my way down on Monday to help out but I've no idea where to go.

Many thanks.

Hiya Items ;)

If you contact Laura , she has been on the Forum with us here tonight !

At

http://lauramcgonigle.ie/contact-me/

She maybe able to point you in the right direction

She is The deputy Lord Mayor of Cork

Hope thats a help to you !

Stargate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Hiya Items ;)

If you contact Laura , she has been on the Forum with us here tonight !

At

http://lauramcgonigle.ie/contact-me/

She maybe able to point you in the right direction

She is The deputy Lord Mayor of Cork

Hope thats a help to you !

Stargate

Thanks, just sent her a message through this site, will see how it goes, hope yous are all OK down there.

Advertisement