Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

I did get a feeling when Mc Shane came on that a calamity was inevitable though. Sure enough, Mc Shane not one to disappoint after just a few minutes absolutely homped Anelka, there was enough time between Anelka having a touch on the ball and Mc Shane to deploy the Smack for me to have a sip of beer and an oul meat and veg reshuffle. Extra time and Mc Shane again felt the urge to rise to the occassion by allowing the ball to pass him by and onto Thierry Sticky Fingers Henry. P.S. why the bloody hell was Gallas standing on his own straight in front of the net. Ahh, who cares, let them go to South Africa, they'll be lucky to even get out of whatever group they're in, a poor French squad i.m.o.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

Former France international David Ginola on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I'm very embarrassed by the situation. I don't feel very proud to be French this morning. The Irish played very well and they deserved to go through as much as France, maybe more. I'm very surprised Fifa haven't mentioned anything about it - the whole world saw the handball. This is a pure injustice. Everyone in France, the press and everyone, says there should be a replay."

See, some people DO have a conscience........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Lets hope it's a slow news week and the media stick with the story like a dog with a bone. Maybe we can shame FIFA into a replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭crushproof

FIFA invalidates Uzbekistan-Bahrain result; match to be replayed
    (FIFA.com)

Tuesday 6 September 2005

FIFA confirmed today that the result of the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™ qualifying match between Uzbekistan and Bahrain on 3 September 2005 has been declared invalid and must be replayed. In order to respect the drawn order of the matches, the first leg is to be replayed in Uzbekistan on 8 October 2005, with the second leg match to be rescheduled for 12 October 2005 in Bahrain.

The decision was taken by the Bureau of the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™ Organising Committee following a formal protest from the Uzbekistan Football Federation concerning a technical error by the referee of the match.

According to Art. 12.4 (b) and 14.1 of the Regulations for the 2006 FIFA World Cup™, all protests, including those against technical errors committed by referees, are to be decided by the Organising Committee for the 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™. A bureau of the Organising Committee may pass a decision in lieu of the plenary committee in urgent matters.

The Bureau, composed of Chairman Lennart Johansson, Deputy Chairman Julio Grondona, Dr Chung Mong Joon and FIFA General Secretary Urs Linsi, took the decision based on the following facts:
    1) At the score of 1-0 in favour of Uzbekistan, in the 39th minute of the match, the referee decided to award a penalty kick to Uzbekistan;
    2) The penalty kick was taken and led to goal in favour of Uzbekistan;
    3) Before the penalty kick was carried out, an Uzbek player entered the penalty area;
    4) Consequently, the referee awarded an indirect free kick to the Bahrain team;
    5) However, in such a situation, the Laws of the Game require the referee to order the penalty kick to be retaken;
    6) The captain of Uzbekistan team protested to the referee immediately after the mistake had taken place and before the game had restarted. This protest was confirmed after the match;
    7) This technical error was confirmed by the match commissioner and the referee inspector in their respective reports;
    8) Uzbekistan protested the decision of the referee in a written request, asking for the match to be "cancelled" and be evaluated with a 3-0 forfeit result;

The bureau, taking into consideration that the referee in the match in question had indeed committed a technical error, established that, as a consequence, the match needed to be replayed. As a result, the protest put forward by the Uzbekistan team for the match to be considered a forfeit with a 3–0 result is rejected. In accordance with Art. 12.6 of the Regulations 2006 FIFA World Cup Germany™, this decision is final and binding.

Hmmm.....interesting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

thierry henry.jpg
    The poor chap couldn`t help it...:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭OnTheBalls

Ah you have to hand it to Henry. He did get France to the world cup after all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

OnTheBalls wrote: »
    Ah you have to hand it to Henry. He did get France to the world cup after all?
    Ha Fupping Ha. Bad taste

• Registered Users Posts: 3 convex02l

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Ireland are out because of Henry's hand :mad: - the lads were great last night played their hearts out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Thierry Henry had about five seconds in which to decide to join the immortals. While William Gallas wheeled away from the point-blank header which gave France the lead over the Republic of Ireland during extra time in their World Cup play-off last night, Henry's reaction could have gone one of two ways.

In the act of controlling the ball before providing Gallas with a perfect cross, France's captain had handled it. Not once, but twice. The first time might have been almost inadvertent, a pardonable reflex action as it was about to go out of play. The second, in which he scooped the ball with his left hand, redirecting it to drop nicely on to his right foot, was clearly intentional.

Even there, it could be argued that an element of reflex was involved. But in the few seconds that followed, Henry had two options. He could pretend that he had not broken the most basic law of outfield play. Or he could take the opportunity to neutralise the effect of his reflexes. To erase an error. To right a wrong. To be a man.

The world, or quite a lot of it, was watching. His president was in the seat of honour in the Stade de France. Almost everyone important in French football had assembled to cheer the team on in this vital match. It was the perfect stage for an act of unselfishness, of honesty, of genuine sportsmanship.

Such incidents are not confined to the pages of history. In 1997 Robbie Fowler unsuccessfully pleaded with the referee to rescind the award of a penalty to Liverpool at Highbury after the whistle had been blown for a perceived foul on him by David Seaman. In 2000, while playing for West Ham, Paolo Di Canio stopped play by catching the ball when he saw that the opposition's goalkeeper, Paul Gerrard of Everton, was lying helpless in the penalty area after twisting his knee while clearing the ball. Last March, during a Romanian first division match between Rapid Bucharest and Otelul Galati, Costin Lazar of Rapid refused to take a penalty because he did not believe he had been fouled, and eventually the official agreed with him.

I don't know anything about Costin Lazar, but I do know that Fowler was a streetwise scally and that Di Canio, who once pushed the referee Paul Alcock to the ground after being shown a red card, was in the habit of exchanging Fascist salutes with his hometown supporters at Lazio. Those incidents shifted our perception of them. Some seed of goodness had to lurk within men capable of such essentially unselfish acts. And they are there forever, in black and white, on the public record.

We all know which way Henry decided to go. With a broad, exultant beam on his face, he raced away from the scene of the crime to join Gallas and their team-mates in celebration of a goal that all knew was likely to be decisive in the battle for a place in next summer's World Cup finals.

For this was no ordinary piece of cheating. National pride and tens of millions of euros were at stake. So much greater, then, would have been the admiration of a decision to own up. Instead Henry chose to go down a path which exposed not just his own human frailty but the paranoid fear of failure running through a French squad (and their manager) haunted by comparisons with the glories of the recent past.

Henry was a hopeless captain at Arsenal and he is a hopeless captain of France. On Wednesday he did not have the gumption to say, "OK, that wasn't a goal" – an admission on which the referee would have been obliged to act – "but we'll use the remaining quarter of an hour's play to demonstrate that we are better than the Irish and more deserving of a place in the final 32 in South Africa next year."

And, being Henry, he reacted to the final whistle not by celebrating with his team- mates but by making a show of going over and sitting down on the turf to commiserate with the dejected Richard Dunne, the most heroic of Irish players. He told Dunne that the Irish had deserved to win, and admitted that he had handled the ball. "But," he added, "I am not the referee."

No, mon brave, but you are the captain of France, the country that gave us the World Cup, and here you had the chance to show us what sport can mean – or, at least, what we tell our children it means.

To rank the incident in Paris alongside Diego Maradona's "Hand of God" in 1986 is misleading. That was a street kid's instinct, acclaimed by his compatriots as revenge for Antonio Rattín and the Malvinas. Henry may come from Les Ulis, a quartier difficile outside Paris, but he is a sophisticated man, and a much decorated one. A chevalier of the Legion d'Honneur should have done better – by his opponents, by himself, and by the game.

• Advertisement

Lads i'm serioulsy pis*ed with Trap for the press conference he gave a short while ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just read the France Football and Le Monde sites and the French are not happy. Luis Fernandes is saying Domenech needs to be supervised and suggests giving him a selection committee. The minister for health and sport questions Domenech and says, "the French team was strangled and only got a draw from a major refereeing error". Domenech says "I know you (the French fans) are angry that we didn't play the perfect game, and I agree but we have qualified for the World Cup"

There's also a fb group called "Ashamed of the national team and Thierry Henry" For a team that's just qualified for the World Cup they're an awful bunch of moaners.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Reading that decision from the Uzbeki game, I think it's different, in that instance it was the ref not knowing the laws of the game, in Irelands instance he left his glasses at home and failed to see two handballs.

Also in St. Denis last night over 50 vehicles were burnt out.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Ahern on Sky News, legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Even the Swedes are up in arms over it (the officials were Swedish)

saying the ref should be sacked by FIFA!

If nothing else comes out of this at least there's pressure on FIFA to change how some things work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

mike65 wrote: »
    newsarse wrote:
    Thierry Henry picked up the ball and threw it at William Gallas in the move which led to France’s winning goal.

It's nice to laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Hi guys please see my request on forum help for a new thread . New Thread Advise - Thierry Henry "Gillette Champion" Lets hit him in the pocket " http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744896 "

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Does this mean we won't have to sit through loads of boring world cup coverage?

ScumLord wrote: »

Sure does,Maybe you can knit yourself a nice cardigan instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

The silence from Fifa is deafening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Anybody know where I can get a t-shirt with "Henry - Le Cheat" on it???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

ScumLord wrote: »

I'll still be watching every match i can. Even the likes of North Korea v New Zealand. It's the World Cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

RonMexico wrote: »

There's a few t-shirt shops around the place who will be happy to oblige i'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

RonMexico wrote: »

Vistaprint will do one for you. Just get a picture of Henry and you can design the print for the t-shirt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The silence from Fifa is deafening.

Very true!

Don't know if this has been mentioned already but here this is:
    "There is precedent for the invalidation of such results. In 2005, the bureau of the Fifa World Cup organising committee reached a decision to invalidate the result of a World Cup qualification match between Uzbekistan and Bahrain on the basis of a 'technical error by the referee of the match'.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8368100.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    Hi guys please see my request on forum help for a new thread . New Thread Advise - Thierry Henry "Gillette Champion" Lets hit him in the pocket " http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055744896 "

Copied my post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

saying the ref should be sacked by FIFA!

If nothing else comes out of this at least there's pressure on FIFA to change how some things work

Sacked, no chance, they'll give him a medal, he brought the fix in.

Reform. That requires common sense and no corruption. At FIFA, the former gets a 404 error not found and as for the latter, Jack Warner says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

jobyrne30 wrote: »

You actually comtacted gillette to say you were boycotting them? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

The chap earns about 100 grand a week and you're talking about hitting him in the pocket, yeah good luck with that one!

Jesus people are really losing it, we lost and that's it.

• Advertisement

Great article.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement