Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

vinylmesh wrote: »
    I think the obvious compromise would be to have video refs only for goals.

But you can then make the argument that if the goal came from a missed call a few minutes before then video refereeing for goals only isn't going to be enough. I mean football tends to be low scoring anyway, technically every decision is important.
    So where do you draw the line?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Is "the Match" a new tv show or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

http://www.rte.ie/
    Lads go onto the RTE home page and look at the face on damien duff at the end of teh match ,he is crying it means that much to him.
    Its heart wrenching.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

But you can then make the argument that if the goal came from a missed call a few minutes before then video refereeing for goals only isn't going to be enough. I mean football tends to be low scoring anyway, technically every decision is important.

Each manager gets to make one appeal to the video referee.
    Be it a penalty decision, or a hand ball that leads to a goal.
    It may also encourage players to not cheat, and have some balls, thiery henry showed no class last night celebrating like a fu*king goon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If the country of France and more importantly Sarcosy has any dignity, he should say he wants a reply too at the very least.
    Otherwise France might be considered in the same "league" from here on in as the two below!
    Cheaters!

aub2xf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

I would propose doing it by how far up the pitch the incident happened (i.e if the incident happens in the box it should definitely be reviewed by video refs, possibly if it happened in that half (up for discussion), definitely not if it was on the other side of the pitch). The fact that football is low scoring is the exact reason why video reffing for goals could work so well.

Btw, i love the way one of the articles mentions the vandalism done to his wikipedia and facebook pages (I helped make news!). Pity they didn't mention the ****storm on french yahoo answers :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

You actually comtacted gillette to say you were boycotting them? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!

The chap earns about 100 grand a week and you're talking about hitting him in the pocket, yeah good luck with that one!

Jesus people are really losing it, we lost and that's it.

Doesn't matter anyway. Gillette are backing Henry.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/1119/france_ireland5.html

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭threeleggedhors

Jaysus, I'd rather listen to women talk about handbags than Trappatoni's Itallenglish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Gillette Spokesman: "This is not going to affect our relationship with Thierry Henry"

Well of course not. Hes making them a packet and will continue to do so. Why let the little matter of fair play get in the way. Pretty much somes up the whole fiasco. Big business and the mighty dollar make the world go around. Little aul Ireland can get back in their box where they belong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

vinylmesh wrote: »
    I would propose doing it by how far up the pitch the incident happened (i.e if the incident happens in the box it should definitely be reviewed by video refs, possibly if it happened in that half (up for discussion), definitely not if it was on the other side of the pitch). The fact that football is low scoring is the exact reason why video reffing for goals could work so well.

Aaaaaaaaaand we're now playing American football.

Frankly, i prefer it with fallible referees. Fine, stuff like this occasionally happens and it sucks if you're on the receiving end. But it can also work in a teams favour. It adds an element of random chance that i like in sports. If i wanted omnipresent adjudication, I'd play FIFA or PES.

It may not a popular sentiment right now, but c'est la vie.

And lets not fool ourselves, had a suspect decision gone our way we wouldn't be screaming to high heaven for a rematch, the level of protesting in general is hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Even the Swedes are up in arms over it (the officials were Swedish) saying the ref should be sacked by FIFA!

Who are these "The Swedes"?

Front page of Aftonbladet a tabloid has a go but thats about it that I can see (jag kan lese svenska).

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

How bout retrospective punishment?

E.g It's up to the player to retain a code of honour and acknowledge stuff like blatant handballs or fouls that lead to a penalty or goal, or sending off, or some other match changing event.
    If the player doesn't acknowledge it then he is liable to suspension by a review panel after the game.
    That way the games flow is held and players are forced to become more honest, because the frankly the way the game is headed now is towards an air of dishonesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

John Delaney on Sky News now. Says theyve sent their 'position' to FIFA and the French FA. Hes hoping the French FA in particular might show some integrity and accede to a replay...................... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Justind wrote: »
    Who are these "The Swedes"?

Front page of Aftonbladet a tabloid has a go but thats about it that I can see (jag kan lese svenska).

http://www.thelocal.se/23366/20091119/

and various other news sites =)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

Aaaaaaaaaand we're now playing American football.

You said yourself football is low scoring. It wouldn't be like american football at all.
    Frankly, i prefer it with fallible referees. Fine, stuff like this occasionally happens and it sucks if you're on the receiving end. But it can also work in a teams favour. It adds an element of random chance that i like in sports. If i wanted omnipresent adjudication, I'd play FIFA or PES.

It may not a popular sentiment right now, but c'est la vie.

I don't think a bit of extra excitement for fans at home should count for anything. I'd be suprised if many players appreciate your sentiment of allowing unfair decisions for the sake of entertainment.

Secondly, you're jumping to the massive conclusion that such unfair decisions are always random. After last night, an awful lot of people are suggesting otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Lol...

Brady, Giles, Keane & McGrath. And if we include NI, Georgie Best.

Better players than Henry.

By miles.

that is hilarious!

and no you cant include george best, he never played for the south

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Jimmyboss wrote: »
    Former France international David Ginola on BBC Radio 5 Live: "I'm very embarrassed by the situation. I don't feel very proud to be French this morning. The Irish played very well and they deserved to go through as much as France, maybe more. I'm very surprised Fifa haven't mentioned anything about it - the whole world saw the handball. This is a pure injustice. Everyone in France, the press and everyone, says there should be a replay."

See, some people DO have a conscience........

no hes saying that as he knows nothing will happen. sounds good though, makes him look like a nice guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

TheZohan wrote: »
    Post in this thread again and I will ban you.
    j1smithy wrote: »
    that is hilarious!

and no you cant include george best, he never played for the south
    j1smithy wrote: »
    no hes saying that as he knows nothing will happen. sounds good though, makes him look like a nice guy

Banned for trolling and ignoring warnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

that press conference was a damp squib

trappatoni's broken english came across all wrong, he needed someone like Brady there to make a more forceful case

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Takk wrote: »

Big opps there! LOL
    Talk about unlucky timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Here's some perspective for everybody. It's a poll from today's Le Monde newspaper in France. Over 88% of those who voted said the Irish deserved to win the match and go forward to the World Cup:

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/sondage/2009/11/19/les-bleus-meritent-ils-leur-place-a-la-coupe-du-monde_1269027_3242.html#ens_id=1245881

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Was reading that some French supporters are planning to boycott product's Henry sponsors. Can I ask you all out there, would you consider the same thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Was reading that some French supporters are planning to boycott product's Henry sponsors. Can I ask you all out there, would you consider the same thing?

I'm sure he's signed his contracts and made enough to live off. Boycotts won't hurt him much now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Takk wrote: »
    I'm sure he's signed his contracts and made enough to live off. Boycotts won't hurt him much now.

Henry won't be hurt, but the companies who have signed him on as a sponsor may be hurt, especially by bad publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I think every team through (except France oc) to the WC finals should refuse to play until we get a replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Had to laugh at all the new "experts" that talk about the match. A lot of them don't know who Keith Andrews is or who Damien Duff plays for. Here's hoping you all stay on the bandwagon and support the team for Euro 2012 qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Over 55,000 people have joined the facebook group, Petition to have Ireland v France replayed. It's growing in numbers literally by the second.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petition-to-have-IRELAND-Vs-FRANCE-REPLAYED/180940979795?ref=nf#/pages/Petition-to-have-IRELAND-Vs-FRANCE-REPLAYED/180940979795?ref=nf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

galwaybabe wrote: »
    Over 55,000 people have joined the facebook group, Petition to have Ireland v France replayed. It's growing in numbers literally by the second.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Petition-to-have-IRELAND-Vs-FRANCE-REPLAYED/180940979795?ref=nf#/pages/Petition-to-have-IRELAND-Vs-FRANCE-REPLAYED/180940979795?ref=nf

Jesus, that is gaining momentum. 30 people joining it every few seconds =o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement