Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭loopyloulou

Lads is it just me or were there TWO French players OFFSIDE when that ball was played into the box before the handball???? Why didnt the linesman pick that up straight off??? Gutted for the lads, they played their hearts out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Yeah loopy, it was also off-side :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Havent read the whole thread and cant reply in the Soccer forum, but has anyone actually contacted the FAI and FIFA to air their grievances?
    I as much as the next person love a good old rant, but i think in this case we all need to get off the forums and facebook and start sending emails/ringing the FAI and FIFA, or this will be old news by tomorrow, and any chance of any replay will be gone.

Dont do the typical Irish thing of "ah well, sure we played really well", lets get off our @rses and DO something for once in our lives!!

Here is FIFA's email contact page

http://www.fifa.com/contact/validate.htmx

And FAI's email is info@fai.ie

Take a few minutes and send an email, and register your disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Justind wrote: »
    Yep, an horrible way to get knocked out indeed. What irks me is that a lot of those miserable over this manner of goal celebrated it in 1986.
    CCCP^ wrote: »
    Talking out your arse mate. I don't recall anyone going on about England after that match

you gotta be kiddin, i can clearly remember the great delight in this country when maradona did one over on england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

REPLAY REPLAY REPLAY CHECK BELOW

Precedent
    It appears there is a precedent for replaying play-offs following Fifa's decision to order Uzbekistan's World Cup qualifier against Bahrain to be held again following a dubious refereeing decision.

With a place in a decisive play-off for the 2006 World Cup finals up for grabs, Uzbekistan won the opening leg of their Asian zone play-off 1-0 but they were infuriated by a bizarre incident where a penalty was disallowed for an attacking player encroaching.

Rather than retaking the penalty, a free-kick was awarded to Bahrain. Uzbekistan called for the game to be given to them 3-0, but were left incensed after the match was ordered to be replayed in its entirety due to the technical error by Japanese referee Toshimitsu Yoshida.

Yoshida should have allowed the penalty to be retaken rather then disallowing the goal.

Fifa gave their verdict on the decision to replay the Uzbekistan-Bahrain tie on their official website in 2005 but curiously chose not to mention the controversy surrounding the crucial goal in the France v Republic of Ireland game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭j1smithy

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Havent read the whole thread and cant reply in the Soccer forum, but has anyone actually contacted the FAI and FIFA to air their grievances?
    I as much as the next person love a good old rant, but i think in this case we all need to get off the forums and facebook and start sending emails/ringing the FAI and FIFA, or this will be old news by tomorrow, and any chance of any replay will be gone.

Dont do the typical Irish thing of "ah well, sure we played really well", lets get off our @rses and DO something for once in our lives!!

il give you a hint as to what that will achieve.......... 0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Justind wrote: »
    Well, I've supported the soccer team if thats what you mean, yes. I was very disappointed at the result and at Henry's actions.

Being a soccer fan shouldn't blind you from seeing the one-eyed hypocrisy of the outraged media and fans out there. Aside from all the hoohah, don't forget Robbie Keane and Damien Duff both took dives for strategic free kicks. Keane even handled the ball (though not a peep from the blinkered out there, I guess).
    One goal was always going to be a very stressy lead against France at home. Had even one of the chances been taken, nobody would give two stuffs over Henry handling the ball in an offside position.

Its easy to be all diplomatic and look at the bigger picture when you dont give a bollocks about the result. Funny that the people who have only a passing interest in football are always the ones going on about hypocrisy, so don't act like you give more than 2 fucking shits about the result when after being robbed you are going on about dubious decisions in the campaign before that. Keane handled it and got penalised every time, whats your point? Its not only the "one eyed irish" that are going mad either.
    j1smithy wrote: »
    how can you say that?

Are you a fan of the irish football team? Because if your not i dont want to listen to your bullshit excuses and defending of Henry. Let me guess, Arsenal fan? ****.

they are two chances of a replay,

1.slim & 2.f&ck all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Two in the hand is worth one in the goal.

The old saying needed updating...

Davei141 wrote: »
    Its easy to be all diplomatic and look at the bigger picture when you dont give a bollocks about the result. Funny that the people who have only a passing interest in football are always the ones going on about hypocrisy, so don't act like you give more than 2 fucking shits about the result when after being robbed you are going on about dubious decisions in the campaign before that. Keane handled it and got penalised every time, whats your point? Its not only the "one eyed irish" that are going mad either.

Are you a fan of the irish football team? Because if your not i dont want to listen to your bullshit excuses and defending of Henry. Let me guess, Arsenal fan? ****.

where have i defended him? it was a handball,he should not have done it. i think the hate groups and insults for the man is a bit much, no irish player has ever or will ever be fit to lace his boots. that my friend is a fact

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MC2009

2 of them were offside, and as for that other cheating B Anelka, he should have been red carded earlier for diving.

Platini was quick to ban Eduardo, Lead by example and ban Henry

Fifa Fair Play my ****

fryup wrote: »
    they are two chances of a replay,

1.slim & 2.f&ck all
    Some would have given us the same chance against France before the games

It might achieve nothing, but at least we can say we tried.

Doing nothing is definitely gonna get NOTHING!!:mad:

It wont kill ye ffs! Ye're spending enough time here whinging, whats another 2 mins out of your day??!!

T

where have i defended him? it was a handball,he should not have done it. i think the hate groups and insults for the man is a bit much, no irish player has ever or will ever be fit to lace his boots. that my friend is a fact
    STFU

Some would have given us the same chance against France before the games

and that is how it transpired!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I'd love to Hear the spin the FIFA Fairlplay are going to put on this.

STFU

truth hurts?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ah i see, this is why I've been getting texts with jokes about Thierry Henry all morning, sometimes having no interest whatsoever in football is both a curse and blessing :D

truth hurts?
    What's the Truth? France cheated and qualified. Yeah that hurts. Your comment about Henry's boots......... LOL get a life

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Rein-in

Let Platini know how you feel too.

info@uefa.com

Remind him of what he said recently...

'Magnificent sport'
    "For me, football remains a magnificent sport," Mr Platini said in concluding. "But if we want everything to remain as it is, everything must change. If we want to prevent football from losing its soul and being eaten away from within, we need to take the initiative and radically change certain types of behaviour and, in particular, certain rules. I will do all I can to make this happen."

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=64/newsid=801478.html

• Advertisement

Volvagia wrote: »
    I'd love to Hear the spin the FIFA Fairlplay are going to put on this.

They seem to be ignoring the fact it even happened, so unless people inundate them with emails, we will get no response, good or bad, and i think we at least deserve an acknowledgement that it happened! :mad:

But then, we are the bloody gullible paddies, what do we care if people constantly disregard us and pull the piss?!:mad:

:mad:

It wont kill ye ffs! Ye're spending enough time here whinging, whats another 2 mins out of your day??!!

well if you must know i'd rather spend it having a ****:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Post in this thread again and I will ban you.

and that is how it transpired!!
    LOL wind up merchant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Davei141 wrote: »
    Its easy to be all diplomatic and look at the bigger picture when you dont give a bollocks about the result. Funny that the people who have only a passing interest in football are always the ones going on about hypocrisy, so don't act like you give more than 2 fucking shits about the result when after being robbed you are going on about dubious decisions in the campaign before that. Keane handled it and got penalised every time, whats your point? Its not only the "one eyed irish" that are going mad either
    So what qualifies me to be above "passing interest" then? I've been to all the home internationals. Travelled to USA in 1994 for the group games.

I give a stuff enough to shout for the team and support them. Its not being diplomatic. Just a refusal to be an immature hypocritical sook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

To FIFA

Thanks for your comments, your message has been succesfully submitted.

krudler wrote: »
    Ah i see, this is why I've been getting texts with jokes about Thierry Henry all morning, sometimes having no interest whatsoever in football is both a curse and blessing :D

jokes:) go on then give us a few......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Lol...

Brady, Giles, Keane & McGrath. And if we include NI, Georgie Best.

Better players than Henry.

By miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Lads is it just me or were there TWO French players OFFSIDE when that ball was played into the box before the handball???? Why didnt the linesman pick that up straight off??? Gutted for the lads, they played their hearts out!!

I couldn't agree more

I think when Bill O'Herlihy and co. were debating if there were 'too many bodies in the way for the linesman to see', they were referring to UEFA and FIFA.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

CCCP^ wrote: »
    Talking out your arse mate. I don't recall anyone going on about England after that match, same as I don't recall anyone going on about Liverpool after that Sunderland match. Get your hat agus coat.
    You honestly don't recall celebrations when England were knocked out following that match?
    Hmmm . . .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement