Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

rizzee wrote: »
    On a side note lads, Carlos Tevez would make a great turtle-neck jumper model.

ya, whats the story with his neck:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

GerCPM wrote: »
    On the RTE news they said that in a playoff match for 2006 World Cup between two teams(forget who they were), there was a blatant peno yet the ref gave a free out. This match was replayed then(dont kno the outcome). Surely the same should happen here?? This was far worse than that and a HUGE BLATANT INCIDENT OF CHEATING that cost Ireland millions and world cup qualification.
    Henry needs to come out and say he handballed, the refs need to come out and say they got it wrong, the FFF need to do the right thing and offer a replay. When will this cheating and stupid decisions that cost clubs/countrys millions ever stop.
    FIFA FAIR PLAY ME BO!!OCKS!:rolleyes:

Bahrain VS someone....

FIFA gotta do something....... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

fryup wrote: »
    ya, whats the story with his neck:confused:

I think he was scalded as a youngster. Lol @ turtle neck model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu7i5CJq3mg

this cheered me up no end this evening.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Tbh Im suprised that their hasnt been video ref'ing/extra linesmen behind the goals in this day and age with the amount of things ref's have missed etc. over the countless years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

As a Liverpool fan I never called for a replay when Luis Garcia claimed and was awarded a goal that never was in 2005 vs Chelsea in the CL semi.

I didn't hear Man U fans call for a change to the score when Owen scored 7 minutes into injury time - beyond what was allocated - to beat Man C.

As an Irish fan I do not now have the right to call on the French to agree to a replay of this tie.

He tried it on, the ref didn't see it, he got away with it.
    This is part and parcel of the game as currently constituted.
    Not right - but part of football none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

davey boy wrote: »
    Heard the the headline in tomorrows mirror will be "hand of frog crushes ireland"
    TheZohan wrote: »
    We'll have less of that thank you.

When I read this last night I thought DaveyBoy was just tryin to be funny with a little racism thrown in .. (as undertandably TheZohan did too it would seem).

Then this morning I bought a few papers for the train and couldn't believe The Sun's headline actually was the above quote!

The Sun then went on to say the Ref was Swedish and had a photo of him with the linesmen entitled "Hansson leads out fellow Turnips".

Now, I think the guy cheated - no doubt, but how does The Sun get away with this level of racism?? Not nice today to read that if your French in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

“There is precedent for the invalidation of such results. In 2005, the Bureau of the Fifa World Cup organising committee reached a decision to invalidate the result of a World Cup qualification match between Uzbekistan and Bahrain on the basis of a ‘technical error by the referee of the match’.

The Uzbekistan and Bahrain game was replayed on the grounds of a technicality issue. The referee's descision last night was one of 'judgement' i.e. It was his belief at the time, that Henry didn't handle the ball. He didn't give an incorrect decision in breach of the rules of the game, as there was no foul or free awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's on CNN's homepage - http://edition.cnn.com/

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

wow, what a lot of sore losers, how many matches are decided by a dodgy refereeing decision? Lots!

This isn't the first time, it won't be the last, it won't be replayed.

If you replayed every football match where an incorrect decision led to a goal (that altered the result of a match) then I guess you'd be replaying at least 1 in 10 professional matches, probably more.

It just can't happen, yea Ireland lost, it was disappointing to lose that way, but you can't go down a replay path, just imagine if one team knew the ref had screwed up in the first 20 minutes - FREE GAME - if you win you win, if you lose you whine and get a replay - not a sustainable system I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

pH wrote: »
    wow, what a lot of sore losers, how many matches are decided by a dodgy refereeing decision? Lots!

Nothing wrong with trying to change that, is there?

There won't be a replay, but if FIFA ignore this they'll be completely discredited as the governing body of the world game

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

If nothing else. If this is the game that brings video referee's into the game. Our place in South Africa will be a Honnest price to pay.

Also, Boycott Gillette untill they drop him

j1smithy wrote: »
    YES! An online petition will get the result of the match changed. Why didn't I think of that?:rolleyes:

Cause your not creative enough maybe?

This one was succesful ..

http://www.arbuz.com/showthread.php?t=24035

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

wow, what a lot of sore losers,

Are you fucking serious? That's such a stupid thing to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭kevinkilbane

If you replayed every football match where an incorrect decision led to a goal (that altered the result of a match) then I guess you'd be replaying at least 1 in 10 professional matches, probably more.

It just can't happen, yea Ireland lost, it was disappointing to lose that way, but you can't go down a replay path, just imagine if one team knew the ref had screwed up in the first 20 minutes - FREE GAME - if you win you win, if you lose you whine and get a replay - not a sustainable system I'm afraid.

you are right indeed. i hate that we are not going to the world cup, but its over, lets face it, it is over...
    the amount of matches that are decided by a poor decision.
    a reply???? sure then that could happen every week in every league throughout the world. id say it be alot more than 1in 10 matches.

If nothing else. If this is the game that brings video referee's into the game. Our place in South Africa will be a Honnest price to pay.
    Also, Boycott Gillette untill they drop him

I think if all the international footballing managers / countries going to the world cup that are pro-video-ref were to come out and support us then we'd have a shout at a replay.

FIFA would fear an orginised backlash and maybe even the threat of a boycott. Losing face and getting the name of 'you can cheat and win' should be enough to further our plight.

We just need some big names behind us fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Nothing wrong with trying to change that, is there?

There won't be a replay, but if FIFA ignore this they'll be completely discredited as the governing body of the world game

Agreed...if this incident is the one that pushes the video review or additional goalmouth officials into the game, then at least it might be the last time such injustice leads to broken hearts for players/fans of club or country.
    If things remain as they are and we all just "move on" :rolleyes: then it's a very bitter pill to have to swallow and ultimately damages the game and it's support-base...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Cause your not creative enough maybe?

This one was succesful ..

http://www.arbuz.com/showthread.php?t=24035
    With 2500 they were successful.

Here we have at this second 12221 signatures and rising @ approx 2.5 sigs per second.

I think we may have a pretty good chance of achieving some form of a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

You're joking right? Even the French public are agreeing with us, ffs..It was an incident that could have easily been avoided i.e. if the assistant-referee actually assisted, or/and if they introduced video evidence into soccer. If only soccer was a game of 'Fair Play' like most other sports, or run by people with brains in their heads e.g Rugby, Golf, Tennis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

Just came across this comment by a Serbian. He posted it on the article about the match on the Fifa website;

I'm sorry the Irish people, because the Irish deserved to go to the World Cup, I hope that France will fall to us (Serbia) in the group at the World Championships, AND SERBIA WILL avenge IRELAND

• Advertisement

sure then that could happen every week in every league throughout the world. id say it be alot more than 1in 10 matches.

Nonsense.

This is not a LEAGUE game and it's not an EVERY WEEK game.

This is the WORLD CUP qualifiers. This is the pinnacle of INTERNATIONAL SOCCER. The soccer watching world seen this and it was a disgrace.

First handball was not a cheat as it was ball to hand and you could argue it was instinctive. Second was HAND TO BALL and was cheating!!

If what you say was held up as an argument againist Video Refs in Rugby then it would not be being used there now as it is today! Come on now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

No they won't there have been hundreds (ffs probably thousands) of controversial goals, dives, sending offs and other forms of cheating and referee mistakes that have changed the results of games. Just because this one happened to Ireland doesn't make it special.

For example (this isn't special it's one of hundreds - this is football ffs - Italy's exit from Korea 2002) ...

Franco Carraro, president of the Italian football federation: "The whole of world football has had its reputation blemished. Trapattoni and his players did their best. Somebody else didn't. I'm very sorry for the Italian fans and for our players."

There you go world footballs reputation was already blemished in 2002!

400,000 angry Italian emails later ... result stands ... man up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

you are right indeed. i hate that we are not going to the world cup, but its over, lets face it, it is over...
    the amount of matches that are decided by a poor decision.
    a reply???? sure then that could happen every week in every league throughout the world. id say it be alot more than 1in 10 matches.

On a side note, well done Kev. Great performance by you and the lads. Also 60, was it, international starts in-a-row for you. Legend.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Nonsense.

This is not a LEAGUE game and it's not an EVERY WEEK game.

This is the WORLD CUP qualifiers. This is the pinnacle of INTERNATIONAL SOCCER. The soccer watching world seen this and it was a disgrace.

First handball was not a cheat as it was ball to hand and you could argue it was instinctive. Second was HAND TO BALL and was cheating!!

If what you say was held up as an argument againist Video Refs in Rugby then it would not be being used there now as it is today! Come on now.

im not against video refs... i was just saying about the sore loser and replay part...

first off your whole arguement is biased, completely! if this happened to any other team, or if we got through this way, you would say f*** them! am i wrong. no im not!!!!

things like this have happened plenty of times in big games, WC,CL the biggest stages. sure remember Oz were robbed against Ital in the world cup (first one that came to my head). my point is this happens quite often.
    even though i would like a replay, and ireland to be playing next summer, it aint happening. lets face it, move on. jut stop making the irish look stupid!

. man up.

People should "Man up" because they want pressure put on FIFA to implement Video-Reffing in Soccer?? Or for trying to get a reply as has been given before??

Maybe YOU should "MAN UP" and get behind people who actually trying to do something about the situation rather than sit back and criticise those who are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Fifa can't wash their hands of this.

No they won't there have been hundreds (ffs probably thousands) of controversial goals, dives, sending offs and other forms of cheating and referee mistakes that have changed the results of games. Just because this one happened to Ireland doesn't make it special.

For example (this isn't special it's one of hundreds - this is football ffs - Italy's exit from Korea 2002) ...

Franco Carraro, president of the Italian football federation: "The whole of world football has had its reputation blemished. Trapattoni and his players did their best. Somebody else didn't. I'm very sorry for the Italian fans and for our players."

There you go world footballs reputation was already blemished in 2002!

400,000 angry Italian emails later ... result stands ... man up.

I have to disagree with you, it is a special case. Why?.. because the world's media has got behind it, not just the weekend tabloids or national TV

There's been massive pressure on FIFA for a ages now about modernizing the game, and I'd honestly be surprised if this doesn't play a huge part in finally making them take action

if this happened to any other team, or if we got through this way, you would say f*** them!

What do you know what I'd do??? Many times I have called for video reffing and had I of seen something this obscene happen in a match before, then your Goddamn right I'd be calling for them to get a replay!"
    am i wrong.

Yes, you are!

• Advertisement

Takk wrote: »
    On a side note, well done Kev. Great performance by you and the lads. Also 60, was it, international starts in-a-row for you. Legend.

i think its 52 competive starts in a row, unsure, sure whos counting? he was excellent last night, you can never knock his effort.
    he is a living legend.
    as dunphy said, kilbane is a sportman's sportman!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement