Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Match **DO NOT START OTHER MATCH THREADS**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Nice to see Fianna Fail jumping on the populist bandwagon....what business is it of any government minister, except for the minister for sport perhaps, what happens in a soccer match?

To see/hear the likes of Ahern and the rest of them using their position to try and influence an outcome is somewhat sickening (even I agree with the sentiment) and I can only personally see it as an attempt at vote winning and pandering to the understandable outrage of an awful lot of people out there. Cynical at best IMO.

I'm sorry but as big a travesty as it is, there are many more important issues facing the country and for our justice minister to speak at length on this debacle whilst other issues directly relating to his office go on the long finger is nothing short of a disgrace.
    This isn't any anti-FF stuff either...I'd be saying the same no matter who it was was in power and making this a political issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Its interesting that the Irish government are getting involved, you'd think they would be hiding in the grass with the heat being taken off them for a while!!

Also with the recent Lisbon Treaty being passed, maybe the government feel like the French owe us a favour, maybe Cowen might be on the dog and bone to Sarkozy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

Almost 58,000 people. We should call for a boycott of Gillette. That's a whole lot of shavers out there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

We have a link here to the official petition with an actual message signed by people and their full names unlike that Facebook one full of insulting pictures and pretty nasty comments.

Support has been requested from the FAI and major dublin radio stations.

http://www.gopetition.com/online/32214/sign.html#se

Please sign and spread if you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Wertz wrote: »
    Nice to see Fianna Fail jumping on the populist bandwagon....what business is it of any government minister, except for the minister for sport perhaps, what happens in a soccer match?

To see/hear the likes of Ahern and the rest of them using their position to try and influence an outcome is somewhat sickening (even I agree with the sentiment) and I can only personally see it as an attempt at vote winning and pandering to the understandable outrage of an awful lot of people out there. Cynical at best IMO.

I'm sorry but as big a travesty as it is, there are many more important issues facing the country and for our justice minister to speak at length on this debacle whilst other issues directly relating to his office go on the long finger is nothing short of a disgrace.
    This isn't any anti-FF stuff either...I'd be saying the same no matter who it was was in power and making this a political issue.

I can see where your coming from but for f*ck sake i am sick to the f*cking tits turning on the TV seeing sh*t about the recession, Turning on the radio and hearing more crap, and then going on Afterhours and seeing more tripe.

Its a welcome break and distraction in my opinion from the reality facing us, i think the government too are human, need a break sometime also.
    I'd imagine a lot of them are Irish supporters.
    So lay off it a little FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

whycliff wrote: »
    maybe Cowen might be a dog and bone Sarkozy!!!

Dirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

I think there is to much hatred of Henry, yes he was a cheating so and so, but in the game everyone does something outside the rules, andd that's fine as long as they're caught and penalized. I see it as completely the refs fault for not being in a position to see such an obvious handball, same goes for the line men. Even when Thierry Henry admitted to the ref he handled the ball he said "you're not the ref". I think there may have been some bias on the refs part and I can see that the greater ad revenue from a population of France watching their team progress compared to Ireland's would be sway with FIFA too.

TL;DR it's not that fooking long, just read it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Dionysus wrote: »
    Here's some perspective for everybody. It's a poll from today's Le Monde newspaper in France. Over 88% of those who voted said the Irish deserved to win the match and go forward to the World Cup:

http://www.lemonde.fr/sport/sondage/2009/11/19/les-bleus-meritent-ils-leur-place-a-la-coupe-du-monde_1269027_3242.html#ens_id=1245881

I heard about this survey on the radio earlier. Good to hear, even if they hate Domenech with a passion.

Apparently, the Bill O'Herlihy of French TV, said he felt embarrassed [FONT=&quot][/FONT] by the French players' celebrations after the game, and the celebratory comments made by the management team made him very sad, as it was a total injustice. He also said - if it were any other nation, there would have been riots after the game and possibly killings..it was because the Irish people are so nice that there wasn't, he said..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

The 'Furore' and the support from the rest of the world is truly great but I think FIFA are going to try throw a bucket of icy cold water over this as soon as possible.

We have a link here to the official petition with an actual message signed by people and their full names unlike that Facebook one full of insulting pictures and pretty nasty comments.

hey 12,000 signatures, that's pretty good number in less the 24 hrs.

I encourage everyone to sign

• Advertisement

I can see where your coming from but for f*ck sake i am sick to the f*cking tits turning on the TV seeing sh*t about the recession, Turning on the radio and hearing more crap, and then going on Afterhours and seeing more tripe.

Its a welcome break and distraction in my opinion from the reality facing us, i think the government too are human, need a break sometime also.
    I'd imagine a lot of them are Irish supporters.
    So lay off it a little FFS.

As am I...I don't think anyone likes it: either the non-stop coveraghe nor the actual financial fallout.
    Of course the government are human and of course they deserve a break, and I have no doubt that they support the team just like any of the rest of us...but there are proper channels for all this and I can only see this as being a bandwagon to jump on, as a means to win back some popularity or to deflect criticism on so many other issues where they have failed to perform.
    Hey I'm just expressing an opinion here...I don't really expect to be heeded...as for laying off them? F*ck them...they get paid enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭Tomebagel

I signed,said i was from france and thought france didnt deserve to go to SA.
    altho,the 'Mc' in my name isnt very french:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Henry is a liar, one tell of someone lying is alot of blinking and he was doing exactly that when he said it wasnt deliberate

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I really don't care what the goverenment/Ahern's agenda is, it made the lead story on Sky Sports News. If people want a replay, then these are the headlines we need "The Irish Minister for Justice wants a replay".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thierry Henry, I'm real happy for you and I'ma let you finish, but Diego Maradona had the best handball of ALL TIME!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Wait, why are we boycotting Gillette? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I really don't care what the goverenment/Ahern's agenda is, it made the lead story on Sky Sports News. If people want a replay, then these are the headlines we need "The Irish Minister for Justice wants a replay".

Lead story on Six One RTE too.

Ah come on lads, you've got to hand it to Gallas...

Good goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭dubrov

The link I was looking at for the match fifa match report was

http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1136903.html#final+four+through+europe

It really missed some improtant points

TheZohan wrote: »
    Lead story on Six One RTE too.

Was never really going to be anything else, bar the whole country sinking under the atlantic...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Its interesting that the Irish government are getting involved, you'd think they would be hiding in the grass with the heat being taken off them for a while!!

Also with the recent Lisbon Treaty being passed, maybe the government feel like the French owe us a favour, maybe Cowen might be on the dog and bone to Sarkozy!!!

It's a standard distract the populous on the lead up to the budget trick.

protip => google image search for "le cheat"

defecate bricks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

j1smithy wrote: »
    that is hilarious!

and no you cant include george best, he never played for the south

Neither did Brady or Giles. They played for Ireland. Not Cork or Kerry or Waterford.

I hate that fucking oxymoronic term "The South".

segaBOY wrote: »
    It's a standard distract the populous on the lead up to the budget trick.

...and the French are in on it too, I'll bet!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Fu**ing cheeky ..
    "Neither the French government nor the Irish government should interfere in the functioning of the international federation."

Francois Fillon

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

Its quite strange.. ten years of passing incompetence of government and corruption and what not, and we don't kick up to much fuss, but a handball in football sets the country alight in bureaucracy and forward action :rolleyes:

any thoughts? obviously there has been strikes etc. but in relative terms, the footys gettin lots more attention :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Adyx wrote: »
    Wait, why are we boycotting Gillette? :confused:

its a good thing he doesn't promote Durex;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Football is more than a game, football is life!

On a side note lads, Carlos Tevez would make a great turtle-neck jumper model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

On the RTE news they said that in a playoff match for 2006 World Cup between two teams(forget who they were), there was a blatant peno yet the ref gave a free out. This match was replayed then(dont kno the outcome). Surely the same should happen here?? This was far worse than that and a HUGE BLATANT INCIDENT OF CHEATING that cost Ireland millions and world cup qualification.
    Henry needs to come out and say he handballed, the refs need to come out and say they got it wrong, the FFF need to do the right thing and offer a replay. When will this cheating and stupid decisions that cost clubs/countrys millions ever stop.
    FIFA FAIR PLAY ME BO!!OCKS!:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement