Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF Season 10 - US aired discussion - CONTAINS SPOILERS for delayed Setanta show

Options
  • 06-11-2009 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

right as per my request in the original TUF 10, to prevent pages of spoilers im starting this for discussion of the earlier US aired shows :D
    *this is being set up without prior consent of mods (please feel free to tell me im doing something wrong if thats the case :confused:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

posts taken from other thread re Episode 08
    Shazbot wrote: »
    I thought it was a good performance by Marcus. Didn't try strike which i was surprised by, a big guy with hands that size you expect to just throw wild punches. Wasn't expecting the good wrestling and BJJ. 3 submission attempts in about 40 seconds.

Really getting sick of all the back and forth Rampage and Rashad crap. Although i thought it was a nice gesture by rampage to apologize to Darrill. I thought the titty grab was hilarious.

With Marcus set to fight Darrill i'd say Rampage will be dying to win it.
    Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    Great showing from Big Baby there I have to say, against someone with main show experience too. I can see him in the final for sure!

Again with the "Will kimbo get back in zomg" stuff. It would be funny if he doesn't actually get back in at all after nearly every episode ending with "KIMBO BACK IN NEXT WEEK???!?!"

Good show. Every show makes me more and more disappointed that we wont get to see rashad/rampage though...
    Devastator wrote: »
    Yeah he fought well, he was determined to rip his arm off after the picture incident, which I thought was blown out of proportion(for tv purposes?), but at same time understand Marcus is a grown man with a family.

The whole kimbo thing will go on for next 2/3 episodes I hope you realise. Its obvious he's not going to fight in next episode because they already announced match up. So from trailer it looks like he's taking Mitrione(sp?) place(due to him being a nutcase), but why not give Mitrione every chance to get right and allow his fight last(giving him extra recovery time), after all he won his fight.

I've enjoyed last couple of shows more because there has been less of kimbo and more about the other fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

I don't see the point of this thread, you have just C&P'd comment from an existing thread on here and as far as I can see this offers nothing different to what the existing thread is doing.

well it saves having to spoiler any posts up until the irish broadcast. i also find highlighting posts inconvenient, not to mention receiving email updates on the thread which i have to come on to boards to read (and highlight).
    as i said if the mods feel there isnt a need for it, then fine, but i did get the feeling i wasnt the only one who was feeling the need for this
    by the way i c&p'd those comments to get the thread off an running so thought they were relevant, ill can remove yours if ud prefer?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

I say fair play Jonny for starting this thread. I stopped looking in the other one because it just got rediculous with all the spoiler nonsense.

On the show, I have to say that overall the season has been a massive letdown so far. The three big characters of Kimbo, Roy Nelson and Wes Simms have been brutal. Only one won their fight, the other two didn't come close, the sheen is removed on account of Rampage-gate (sorry!), the fights (by and large) have been awful et cetera et cetera.

I'm not a big TUF fan anyway, but this season was BUILT UP like nobodies business (which you can't really blame the UFC for) and it has been average at best.

That said, think it's fairly clear Kimbo will come back in in the quarters or semi's at some point, more than likely just because he's Kimbo.

I hope Marcus wins on account that he seems like a nice down to earth guy who just loves the sport and is keen on learning and bettering his skills.

I was really impressed with marcus, didnt expect his ground game at all even after other fighters hinting at him hurting their arms. it was really refreshing to see to be honest, certainly locked it in very quickly and with his power, could do some damage if someone didnt tap quick enough or the ref was napping
    sims was again being a d!ck, i can understand him playing with someone in general but mitrione looks to have a bad concussion, time and place
    i hope they pick something decent for this years coach's contest, something intense that gets them in each other's faces, id watch a whole show of that than a c0cky roy nelson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 pharmergriffin

Marcus was awesome on the ground. Even though it was a short fight in my opinion it was one of the best ones. They didn't have a chance to gas, as seems to be the norm in this season. Considering the other guy had some experience he wasn't very convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

posted this on the other thread too, but it seems relevent.

I thought that Marcus looked very slick for such a big guy on the ground, but I thought the little bit of stand up we saw looked very poor. He pretty much just walked forward with both hands out looking for the clinch, no set up, and no strikes worth speaking of. looked very awkward, and I was afraid the chin was going to get tagged

yeah, he had an 8" reach advantage in this fight so it prob didnt bother him much but other fighters will be closer to his size. the 'mummy' comparison was well earned :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 pharmergriffin

I agree. His stand up looked pretty reckless. He was just looking for the clinch and in the end the the other guy went for the take down and that back fired on him. Really impressed with his attacking ground game.

Maybe Marcus's coaches will focus on his stand up for his next fight.

The "Mummy" was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

It looks like Kimbo will be back for at least one more fight because of Matts injury but he does not reach the finale because he is scheduled to fight Houstan Alexander at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Good stuff Johnny. The spoilers on the other thread were really annoying. :mad:

I was really impressed to see a 6ft 6, 260 pound man, pull of an armbar like that! I wouldnt be too surprised if he makes the final..

I hope matt beats the piss out of mcsweneey. i cant stand him.

Matts a weirdo, but i kinda like the guy! (no homo!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Houston Alexander??? Eh isn't he a 205'er. Strange. I'm surprised that information is available while the competition is still going on.

I actually read a spoiler in a previous thread about Rampage losing 7-1 in the match ups and who the two finalists were. I'm annoyed I read it. Cause it looks like it'll come true. Again I don't know how anyone has found this out.

Dan Henderson told me he signed a 5 million dollar confidentiality contract when he was doing TUF. I'd keep my mouth shut if I signed that!

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    It looks like Kimbo will be back for at least one more fight because of Matts injury but he does not reach the finale because he is scheduled to fight Houstan Alexander at it.

FU.CK OFF with fúcking spoilers for the final show. FFS.

We don't want to ****ing know. Read the thread title perhaps? You absolute fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

We don't want to ****ing know. Read the thread title perhaps? You absolute fool.

Unless you don't want a spoiler for future UFC events I don't see how that spoils anything. Looks like doesn't mean is and it looks like he might based on the preview, I'd bet he won't and that match has already been booked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

GSPfan wrote: »
    Houston Alexander??? Eh isn't he a 205'er.

Kimbo isn't exactly a huge heavyweight. Wouldn't be surprised to see him fight at 205.

Was impressed with Marcus overall though his standup was definitey suspect. He also seems to be a decent down to earth guy, hope he goes far.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I is angry i am:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Don't go turning green on me now :pac::pac::pac:
    My bad if I upset anyone else bout this. I am taking the Kimbo part from the preview at the end of the last show and I saw the alexander fight part on MMA live this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

Firstly well done OP, this thread needed to be made.

I don't really understand all the Rampage hate as he has had me in absolute stitches throughtout the show. His exchanges with 'titties' are comedy gold.
    On Kimbo Slice, I reckon Mitrione is definitely concussed so that would mean Kimbo could take his spot (isn't there a minimum month lay off after a concussion?) which in my eyes would only be a good thing.
    Roy Nelson seems like an out and out knob. I really don't know how much of that is put on but if it isn't he strikes me as a dick. Dana White hates him and praised Justin Wren in his last fight so I wonder if Dana made that fight in the hopes that Wren would knock Nelson out of the competition. From his fight Nelson really doesn't have any reason to be that cocky I mean Kimbo rocked him a few times.
    Rashad ripping on Tito following Rampage around needs to probably look at McSweeney who is nothing short of being Rashad's loyal dog. Every scene with Rampage and Rashad exchanging abuse McSweeney is waiting in the wings to protect his master.
    Wes Sims is one of the funniest characters, everything he does seems to crack me up!
    Has Wes Shivers gone home? He didn't feature at all in that episode?

Marcus Jones is far and away my favourite fighter on this year's show. He seems like an all round nice guy, eager to learn and with a genuine passion for the sport. I was impressed with his performance the guy was very good on the ground and from the looks of things his sheer power means that if he locks any kind of submission his opponent wont have a chance to struggle out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭mmafan81

GSPfan wrote: »
    Houston Alexander??? Eh isn't he a 205'er. Strange. ]

Apparently Houston and Kimbo are fighting at a cache weight - 215

Perhaps it's my bad. I mean, maybe Kimbo won't come back and then nothing has been spoiled. But if he does come back and fight then that whole episode is ruined for me.

Tbh I'm just gonna unsubscribe from the TUF threads and not look in here till it's over before any more of the last few shows are ruined for me..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Joke decision in that fight. It should have went to the third round.

its actually beyond me how nelson won the first round, i would watch it again but it was like 2 guys fighting after a night out, wild swinging and bellys wobbling. how 'athletes', and i use that term lightly, get themselves into that kind of state is beyond me, best you can be and all that, esp when u consider how other HWs like carwin etc are so ripped. i know it came up in the fedor fight thread but at least u can still see the muscle.
    must be the most boring season ever in terms of out of the gym drama. maybe thats why they keep filling it with the get kimbo back or rampage's attention seeking and subsequent arguments. the producers must be telling them to do this stuff, afterall the same crowd manage to make great drama out of a family of bike builders (alas im glued to that also)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Maynard

Yeah, I was sure when there was a decision reached that it had to be for Justin...I mean, I've been watching MMA for quite a while now, live events, live tv, dvds and I've been training in it for a bit too now...But apparently I don't know ****, because it seems any time a fight goes to the judges lately (unless it's a totally whitewash) I get the call wrong. Go figure.

If this show is ultimately designed to find a competant prospect for the UFC's heavyweight division (it couldn't just be a publicity machine right??;)) then frankly they're wasting their time. You could cut all but two fighters right now IMHO. Big Marcus and Big Country. And I'm just talking potential here.

Anyway, tv is tv I guess. But talentwise, the barrel has been scraped so hard here that we're looking out the other end of the yoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Justin gassed early, and let Nelson finish the first round strong. Judges seem to weight the latter half of the round heavier than the first imo, as its fresher in the mind. It was a close round, cant see why ppl are that surprised that 2 of the judges gave it to Nelson. Justin was gassed for the 2nd round, and would have probably got Tko'd in the 3rd.

Another boring boring fight, another cardio failure, at least the prank was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I definitely thought it should have gone to a 3rd round, even if Justin was barely able to keep his hands up. Roy's jab was working very well late in the second and he would have used it to setup some bigger shots in the 3rd, he definitely seemed to have some gas left.

I know it's an entertainment reality show and not a serious sports documentary or anything, but did they really need to spend 10 whole minutes on the chicken prank?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭cletus

lafortezza wrote: »
    I definitely thought it should have gone to a 3rd round, even if Justin was barely able to keep his hands up. Roy's jab was working very well late in the second and he would have used it to setup some bigger shots in the 3rd, he definitely seemed to have some gas left.

I know it's an entertainment reality show and not a serious sports documentary or anything, but did they really need to spend 10 whole minutes on the chicken prank?

It just shows the dearth of actual entertaining footage they managed to glean from the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

lafortezza wrote: »

It is an incredibly boring season so they needed to show something. I did however laugh at the segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I thought Wren won the first round, therfore it should have gone to a third, but i'm glad it didn't. Watching two gassed fatties throwing clean air shots is not high on my list of priorities.

What happened to the wrestling and Ju-Jitsu that these two guys are 'world class' at?

Another poor episode, two guys with no cardio, and no intrigue in the house except for Mittrione who is so BORING.

Lets hope next season they go for lighter fighters who are at least athletic and not have two coaches with very little to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

It's pointless having these fights when the judges are not impartial. Wren won the first round, 100% and if Wren won the first round then Nelson can't get the decision. I don't care what people might have to say about any potential third round, nobody can read the future.

The decision was a total disgrace and it has been a boring season overall. I hope McSweeney is not robbed in a similar fashion, I was very impressed with his fight and I am pretty sure that he won't run out of steam during a fight given his background. He will batter Matt if Matt fights him and I hope he wins the season taking Nelson out in the semis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I hope McSweeney is not robbed in a similar fashion, I was very impressed with his fight and I am pretty sure that he won't run out of steam during a fight given his background.

Are you joking? That was one of the worst fights I'd seen up to that point with regard to gassing. Shivers spent half the second round with his hands on his hips and McSweeney wasn't a whole lot better.

Advertisement