Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UGG Thread - Read first post BEFORE posting [Updated 17/11/2010]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

No.

And as someone else pointed out, they never were! Those and ballet flats will go down in history as the most unflattering shoe in history.

Bin if you own a pair of either!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Recent UGG threads merged into UGG megathread (it's been a while since I had to do this :))

My opinion is that any shoe which requires you to shuffle and clomp is not a shoe. It's a slipper and best suited to indoor wear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

dudara wrote: »
    Recent UGG threads merged into UGG megathread (it's been a while since I had to do this :))

My opinion is that any shoe which requires you to shuffle and clomp is not a shoe. It's a slipper and best suited to indoor wear.

I adore my Uggs, I don't feel the need to shuffle & clomp in them! I tend to be able to walk normally! lol :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

anna080 wrote: »
    Hehe

Penney's 'Uggs'! lol

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    Gonna continue on wearing my pair regardless once the weather is cold enough again! You just cant argue with that level of comfort <3

I can't wait to wear mine again, I am missing them! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭colmufc

cat_dog wrote: »
    Let me guess.. you're a guy.. Sorry if I'm wrong :p

yes I am but honestly I've never thought anything except trailer trash when I see them there ugly as hell and maybe at 1st there were okay but within weeks of 1st hearing of them they were taken over by the pajama crowd and there is noting I hate more than people going to the shop in pajamas

abacus120 wrote: »
    Hi all,my cousin is going to America next week and I am going to get her to buy me real uggs.
    Just wondering about the sizing,i am a 5 so should I get a 5 or go up/down a size,thank you :)

I would just get the size you normally wear, that's what I have done. They tend to stretch out a bit eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I adore my Uggs, I don't feel the need to shuffle & clomp in them! I tend to be able to walk normally! lol :rolleyes:

I don't shuffle or clomp either. I feel like some people are talking about genuine Ugg boots and others are talking about fake Ugg boots.
    I bought mine in New York 7 years ago along with a bottle of the cleaner stuff and they still look great. The soles are not worn down at all (note - the ones with the worn down soles are obviously fake) and there are only a few noticeable marks.
    I think 7 years is a brilliant amount of time to get out of any type of footwear.

I don't shuffle or clomp either. I feel like some people are talking about genuine Ugg boots and others are talking about fake Ugg boots.
    I bought mine in New York 7 years ago along with a bottle of the cleaner stuff and they still look great. The soles are not worn down at all (note - the ones with the worn down soles are obviously fake) and there are only a few noticeable marks.
    I think 7 years is a brilliant amount of time to get out of any type of footwear.

Exactly, If they are the REAL Uggs, then you are right, you wouldn't be shuffling or clomping in them!? I have 4 pairs of different styles of Uggs, 3 of them bought in the USA at different times. I have 1 pair about 7 years too and you wouldn't know it to look at them. I am very careful with clothes & shoes though, and I treat my Uggs like the holy grail, seeing as I saved so hard to even get them (although one pair were a gift!). I only got around to buying the cleaning set last year in Brown Thomas, and it works brilliantly!
    I see some people who have real Uggs, and they are wrecked. I can't understand why some people wouldn't look after them. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Hey,

I'm getting Uggs brought back from OZ for herself. Looking at her boots and shoes, they range from size 5 to size 6, however the EU size is always 38.

Do Uggs over in Australia follow the same measurements as over here? My worst nightmare would be that I get them brought all the way home, only for them not to fit. Is there any conversion chart or something, or if I was to say get a size EU 38, would that be ok? I've heard they're meant to be really thick boots so maybe it might even be a good idea to go half a size bigger??

Sorry for the basic questions but I just want to make sure i don't ruin the xmas present!!!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The normal size should be fine. You are supposed to wear them barefoot to get the full coziness. They do feel a bit tight at first but stretch out and kind of mold to your foot after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Well I don't think she'd wear them barefoot. I don't know if thats normal but thats the first i've heard of it.

If she was to wear them with socks, then i'd probably have to go a half size bigger, i'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

If they are the UGG Australia brand then go for a 38. They stretch like flip too so they'll be too big and get even bigger. And I wear mine with 2 pairs of socks come winter and there's still room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yellow lab

UGGs: You either love ‘em or think they are the, er, ugliest footwear ever made. But there is pain involved in the production of every pair. UGGs are made from wool and leather—in other words, from the body parts of sheep.

Australia produces most of the world’s merino wool supply. Merino sheep are bred for their extra-wrinkly skin, which allows them to produce more wool all over their bodies. But those wrinkles also attract flies, who lay eggs in between the moist folds. The resulting maggots begin to eat the sheep alive.

As if that weren’t hideous enough, to “fix” this problem many farmers do something called “mulesing,” a cruel procedure in which chunks of skin and flesh are cut from the sheep’s backside so that the wound will scar over and eliminate the wrinkles. Mulesing is often done without painkillers, and it leaves raw wounds that often become infected and actually attract more flies.

While UGGs use wool lining, the outside uses the inside of a sheep’s coat: leather and suede, which are not fabric but skin. Caring consumers should take note that some faux UGGs have been found to contain the skin of raccoon dogs, most likely obtained from Chinese fur farms.

Caring consumers will stick to buying stylish, cruelty-free alternatives such as Stella McCartney boots or Juicy Boots. Please, join the many other people who refuse to buy anything made of wool, leather, or fur.

Merged into UGG megathread

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Just wondering, does anyone know if Schuh ever reduce their Uggs? Would love these, but sadly can't afford them at the moment :( WOnder if they might be reduced after Xmas?

http://ie.schuh.co.uk/womens-chestnut-ugg-australia-bailey-button/1403496250/

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

They do a 10% student discount which is applied to Uggs. Takes a good chunk off the price!

Merged into the UGG megathread

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Just wondering, does anyone know if Schuh ever reduce their Uggs? Would love these, but sadly can't afford them at the moment :( WOnder if they might be reduced after Xmas?

http://ie.schuh.co.uk/womens-chestnut-ugg-australia-bailey-button/1403496250/

Used to work in Schuh; Uggs would occasionally appear in the sale, but it tended to be the less-popular styles, or unusual colours. Some years the knitted ones would be in the sale, but with colours like cream etc. The classic tall & ankle Uggs, and the Bailey Buttons you linked, would very rarely go into the sale, apart from some special colours- one year we had these sparkly dark brown ones in the ankle style, they were in the sale as they didn't sell massively well. So depending on what you're after, you may get lucky. If you're not fussy about style/colours and just want anything Ugg-branded, you could be in luck too :)

Otherwise, as sunrise91 said, Schuh do a good student discount, and occasionally have other offers if you sign up for their newsletter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭miss-p

Schuh owns a website called branch309 that I think sometimes do sale uggs too. They have ex-display ones on sale atm, some of which just have pen marks or are scuffed if you wouldn't mind that.

Thanks everyone. I'll see if I can find someone with a student discount :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I just looked on the Schuh site linked. In their *SALE* section there are three different types of UGGS on sale: 18%-21% off :)

http://ie.schuh.co.uk/prdDisplay.aspx?g=1&t=s&sz=UK%206&szFlt=UK%206&sFrom=sale:womens:uk6

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I just looked on the Schuh site linked. In their *SALE* section there are three different types of UGGS on sale: 18%-21% off :)

http://ie.schuh.co.uk/prdDisplay.aspx?g=1&t=s&sz=UK%206&szFlt=UK%206&sFrom=sale:womens:uk6

Thanks Amazingfun. I saw the Bailey Bomber ones alright, but it's the original Baileys I'm after :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Hi there,

Where would I get, in Dublin, a pair of kids Ugg brand boots, approx size 12?

Cheers

Merged into UGG megathread

dudara

Jude13 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Cheers

Brown Thomas should have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Jude13 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Cheers

Schuh and Office do them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Psychochicken

Where can I buy ugg boots in Dublin ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭barleybooley

Office, Schuh, BT2 (used to be able to anyway), Fitzpatrick's to name a few.

Advertisement