Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Well you got a nice 3:10 pb out of this training phase, Some would say that the block of 30 mile week followed by a marathon pb might have taken it out of you but who knows. Best of luck with the Sub 3 will be intrested to see how the change in training works out. Is the sub 3 target Berlin this year or looking to the spring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

shels4ever wrote: »
    Best of luck with the Sub 3 will be intrested to see how the change in training works out. Is the sub 3 target Berlin this year or looking to the spring?

We'll be going for it in Berlin but if it takes until the spring to do it, then so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done on Conn Meno, that's a great pb from what sounds like a horror of a race. Fair play to you for sticking with it and not giving up. Onwards to sub 3!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Great performance dispite the cramps. I reckon if you sort out the cramps, you'll be well able to take a Yorkie chunk off that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

menoscemo wrote: »
    sounds great. Hopefully Larry's sessions will fit in with yours, I'm sure they can be tailored. What marathon are you'se looking at? Dublin again? Didn't know gerry was going long again.

We were looking at berlin but water in cups is too off putting, so its gonna be dublin unless we can rope somebody into coming over and acting as a mobile water station. Yeah was talkling to gerry the other day and he's going again. Will be starting the build up at the begining of may.

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    We were looking at berlin but water in cups is too off putting, so its gonna be dublin unless we can rope somebody into coming over and acting as a mobile water station. Yeah was talkling to gerry the other day and he's going again. Will be starting the build up at the begining of may.

Lovely stuff.
    Water in cups is a pain in the hole alright but I managed ok last year by bringing a few straws. Anyway If you haven't registered for Berlin yet it's not an option as it sold out last November...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done Niall. I wouldn't surmise that you're not cut out for the ultras, you're just the same as everyone else: you just need to get the right mix of variables lining up correctly on the day. Your ran a very strong race and the next time you run it, it'll be even stronger (though you should probably take a break and work on the speed-stuff for a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You like the straw method for the cups? Cups it will be for me this weekend....standard size straw? I can only imagine the race organizers don't run in marathons, otherwise bottled water it would be most likely!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Well done Niall. I wouldn't surmise that you're not cut out for the ultras, you're just the same as everyone else: you just need to get the right mix of variables lining up correctly on the day. Your ran a very strong race and the next time you run it, it'll be even stronger (though you should probably take a break and work on the speed-stuff for a while).

+1. I'd never say somebody just wasnt cut out for a certain distance. I think everybody could train themselves to become great at any race length. But having said that, I think you should focus on some short fast work for now. Im reading this book at the moment and the author advocates this same thing...........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brain-Training-Runners-Revolutionary-Endurance/dp/0451222326/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333476650&sr=1-1

Amazing book by the way, revolutionary stuff.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You like the straw method for the cups? Cups it will be for me this weekend....standard size straw? I can only imagine the race organizers don't run in marathons, otherwise bottled water it would be most likely!

Yes just normal 'party straws'. I packed a few in my pockets and ittis definitely easier to take on the water than the old 'cup up, half the water over your face' method!! Others prefer to stop for a second or two, drain a cup and keep running. With the straw you can sip without having to stop.

You may as well bring a few straws, nothing to lose there I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yes just normal 'party straws'. I packed a few in my pockets and ittis definitely easier to take on the water than the old 'cup up, half the water over your face' method!! Others prefer to stop for a second or two, drain a cup and keep running. With the straw you can sip without having to stop.

You may as well bring a few straws, nothing to lose there I think

Will do!! Might leave the ones with pink flamingos on them at home though! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

well done meno. sure did sound tough.

Nules10 wrote: »
    well done meno. sure did sound tough.

Thanks again for the cheers. I was just about able to smile at that stage, knowing there was only 100m to go :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Good run in Conn, a PB is a PB in anyone's book. I'd say you're well on form to nip under 3 in Berlin this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Fair play Meno. PB after PB this year.... long may it continue.... without the cramps though!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

Well done in Conn,a good result despite the cramping.

It's probably time to give the legs a rest now for a while!

With a disciplined regime for the next 5 months, Sub 3 in Berlin is well within your capability.

Good luck with it;

J

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Boy, that sounded like a tough run in Conn but Congrats on the PB and not giving up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done again dude :)

A savage run!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good stuff, savage running...

Sub 3 will be no bother to you with proper training and without you doing 35435345 pacing gigs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

According to this

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Eating_practices_of_the_best_endurance_athletes_in_the_world.htm

The Kenyans only avearge 75 miles per week and don't eat crisps, I'm just saying like :D;)

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    According to this

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/Eating_practices_of_the_best_endurance_athletes_in_the_world.htm

The Kenyans only avearge 75 miles per week and don't eat crisps, I'm just saying like :D;)

According to that the kenyans main food source is a corn based Carbohydrate source called Ugali. I guess that's their equivalent of Mega Meanies :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done Meno. That sounded painful.

I agree with some of the other comments. Don't worry about pacing others and put yourself first and you might be surprised what you achieve in Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Well done man... Tough day at the races but u pulled through... Get yourself ready for Berlin and give sub 3 a right lash........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

That stuff about you not being cut out for the ultra is just nonsense. I presume that was just the post-race fatigue talking. What you're not cut out to do is to run a very good PB 3 weeks before and then run an ultra on uncovered legs.

You'll be back, no doubt about it. :)

Congratulations on toughing it out, which shows that you ARE ultra material!

Good luck with the sub 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Terrific race report and a gutsy run. Was reading Marthastew's report and she pictured everybody smiling and hugging and celebrating at the finish line, she mentions you sitting alone, and mumbling about splits and such. I read that and i think that's the sort of commitment that will see you going sub 3 sooner rather than later. Looking forward to your next marathon training reports.

I was prescribed a whole week off after Conn which I found quite difficult. I think running gives me discipline and without it I go a bit waywards. So I proceeded to eat and drink everything in sight for a week. I even had a few cheeky smikes on a few nights out :o
    I was up home at the weekend, so when my sister suggested a run with her I jumped at the chance even though I had no running gear. So with tracksuit bottoms and t-shirt I did 2 miles at a very slow pace (no watch Probably 10-11 min/ mile)

Back on the horse today. I met up with brian for my scheduled 50 minutes.

Ended up doing 7 miles in 57 minutes (8:15 pace)

No niggles, legs and body a bit stiff and sluggish. That's normal I guess. Glad to be back. Good news is there'll be no rest days this week.

Weekly total 5 days running 59.6 miles

2011|No. of days Running|Miles|2012 |No. of days Running|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3|January|28/31|290.1
    February|24/28|236.9|February|27/29|283.2
    March|23/31|221.9|March|24/31|204.7
    April|22/30|176.4|April|3/9|48.3
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|81/97|826.3

Tuesday 10th
    The First of LB's sessions called for 6 x 800m in 3 minutes off 200m jogs and 4 x200m in 42 seconds off 200 jogs.
    I did these up at the club. After warming up with the group I had to do my own thing as the others were doing 600's. I am also used to having 1 minute rests between reps so was interested to see how the 200m jog recoveries went.
    The reps went: 2:59, 2:58, 3:01, 3:02, 3:03, 3:04 for the 800s and 41, 42, 42, 38 for the 200s. That tells the story I think. The reps were killers after the first 2. By the end of the 4th I had to stop for a 20 second breather before 200m jogs and the same on the 5th. Happy to get so close to prescribed pace as I knew I was fadin badly at the end. The 4 x 200s were fine though.

9.8 miles total with w/u and cooldown

The HR was maxing at the end of the 800s (184) so I couldn't have given it any more. On the 2 mile cooldown at 9min/mile HR was still very elevated. Probably not over my week off (or the ultra). Will take a few days to get back to normal. The 200m recoveries are a lot tougher than my normal minute standstill recoveries though.

Wednesday
    Plan said 50 mnutes easy. I met Aimman in Tymon and was determined to keep the pace very slow. did 5.4 miles @ 9:15 pace. HR was 137 still about 5-10bpm higher than normal but getting back to where it should be. I assess after tomorrows easy run if I'm fit for fridays session (6 x 1k off 200m jogs). If necessary I'll do them a bit slower than LB's prescribed pace of 3:48/km.

WTD 3/3 days running 22.2 miles

April|22/30|176.4|April|5/11|63.5
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|84/102|841.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

How has LB established the target paces on the 800s and 1000s for you this week. How is the body after the Ultra.

How has LB established the target paces on the 800s and 1000s for you this week. How is the body after the Ultra.

He is just basing them on recent races and the interval paces I was doing earlier in the year. On paper they should be no bother but I guess I am just not back at 100% yet.

The legs feel well rested but the body is always rusty after a week completely off running. I've been here before so from experience I expect to be back to pre-Conn HR/Pace levels by the end of next week or early next.

• Advertisement

Thursday 12th April
    Plan was an hour easy with 6 10-15 second Hill sprints.
    7.5 miles @ 8:32 (Hr144). still alittle weak and effort a little high for the pace. Found a lovely little hill in Tymon which was perfect for the hill sprints, about 60m long with 7 or 8 mts of rise. Enjoyed the sprints.

Friday
    6 x 1k in 3:50 off 200m jog recoveries. Was dreading this one after tueday. I decided to do the 1ks in Marlay instead of the track just to make things harder for myself :rolleyes:. Kept telling myself I would just do one or two and drop out if it got hard. LB had advised me to keep the pace as slow as needs be but not to stop after the reps and do the 200m jog recoveries continous. I mostly forgot about the watch and just concentrated on keeping the pace comfortably hard. Surprisingly the session went fine, pretty much the same pace as the 800s on tuesday but 6k of fast bits in total instead of 4.8k for less effort/pain.
    Rep times 3:45, 3:46, 3:48, 3:47, 3:48, 3:49
    For some reason I thought my target times were 3:48, not 3:50 and I also forgot to do my 6 x100m reps :rolleyes:
    I glanced at the garmin with about 200m to go each interval just to make sure I was on target. Dawdled the last one and ended up having to sprint the last 200m which was the only time the pace felt unsustainable. HR was maxing around 178 at the end of each rep as opposed to 184 on Tuesday- good sign of recovery I think.

8.5 miles total with w/u cool down

WTD 5/5 days running 38.2 miles

April|22/30|176.4|April|7/13|79.5
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||