Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Saturday
    I was in Blackrock saturday morning so I arranged to meet up with Marhastew for this one. It was supposed to be a recovery run for me (9 min/mile) but Marthastew didn't seem to understand that :pac:
    Nice enjoyable run of the DLR 10k route (quite hilly I have to say)
    6.6 miles @ 8:35 pace (HR 139- returning to normal).

Sunday
    Had the worst Chinese ever last night of Chicken balls, which was still sitting in my stomach at 1pm when I parked up in Inchicore. I ran up to PP to catch Bekele at the bottom of the Kyber and the other elite men before joggin up to the finish line to catch the 35-40min finishers. Most of my Clubmates who I do intervals with came in in 38:xx which is food for thought as I would be one of the fastest of them. Caught ray and a few others before doing another loop of the park and then 6 x 20 seconds (100m) at Mile pace. These were supposed to be done on the track on friday with 300m jog recoveries so I just put in 20 second bursts every 2 minutes with 1min 40 jogs between. Seems to have worked out as the 20 seconds were all 100m and the recoveries close to 300.

9.4 miles in total (8:29 pace)

Legs generally stiff and sore today.

Weekly total 7/7 days running 54.2 miles

2011|No. of days Running|Miles|2012 |No. of days Running|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3|January|28/31|290.1
    February|24/28|236.9|February|27/29|283.2
    March|23/31|221.9|March|24/31|204.7
    April|22/30|176.4|April|9/15|95.5
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|88/106|873.5[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

menoscemo wrote: »
    Saturday

6.6 miles @ 8:35 pace (HR 139- returning to normal).

Sunday
    Had the worst Chinese ever last night of Chicken balls,

Oops, sorry on both counts... my fault for talking about Chinese takeaway while we were running too fast:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Chinese balls sitting in my stomach

Whatever you're into Dude,,, :D;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Whatever you're into Dude,,, :D;)

You're a great one for misquoting for effect. You should get a job with the Sun or the Daily Mail ;)

You're a great one for misquoting for effect. You should get a job with the Sun or the Daily Mail ;)

You used those exact words ;)

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »
    You used those exact words ;)

I sure did, just not in the order you quoted them in ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Shock, horror - Digger twists the written word. Let us learn from the wise one:D

I sure did, just not in the order you quoted them in ;):D

Very true but it could have been worse.... There's great material there :D

chinguetti wrote: »
    Shock, horror - Digger twists the written word. Let us learn from the wise one:D

I'm not the Messiah... I'm just a very naughty boy :D;)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

He doesn't even wait for the Chinese balls to leave his stomach before going to check out more elite men... ;)

• Advertisement

He doesn't even wait for the Chinese balls to leave his stomach before going to check out more elite men... ;)

Well, I heard despite the MSG, the skin on his face is glowing ;):D

Monday
    7 miles easy (8:25 pace, 140 hr) with 6 x 100m strides @5k pace.

Tuesday
    5.1 miles @ 7:58 pace (145 HR). Just a bit of pacing practise for wexford on sunday.

Wednesday
    Session: 2 (6 x 400m in 90 seconds w 100m jog recoveries in 35 seconds) with 400m jogs between sets. 90, 88, 89, 88, 89,90; 90, 88, 89, 91, 89, 88.

3 x 150 'going through gears' (50m @mile pace, 50@ 800m pace and 50 @400m pace)- 150s done in 24-25 seconds average.

Did this session on the track with Woddle and a few others. I though the 400s looked really easy on paper but the 100m jog recoveries (35-37 seconds) instead of the normal 1 min rests meant they got hardinsh towards the end of each set.

Really enjoyed the 150's- took the first 100m easy and basically sprinted the last 50 each time. Hitting around 3:30/mile pace for the last 50s.

Nice bit of practise for the graded meets. I also practised a long jump at the end and I think I still have it :pac:

8 miles total

WTD 3/3 days running 20.1 miles

April|22/30|176.4|April|12/18|115.6
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|91/109|893.6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Getting some nice sessions in, might rob a few of them for the summer ;), quick question, how are you working out your paces for the intervals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Really enjoyed the 150's- took the first 100m easy and basically sprinted the last 50 each time. Hitting around 3:30/mile pace for the last 50s.

First time I've ever heard somebody analyse a flying-50 sprint in minutes per mile pace! METRES PER SECOND!!

You'll have to drop the distance running mentality if you want that sub 60. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

04072511 wrote: »
    First time I've ever heard somebody analyse a flying-50 sprint in minutes per mile pace! METRES PER SECOND!!

distance boys do sub 60s in training, multiple sub 60's or should I say sub 4 minute mile pace ;)

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Getting some nice sessions in, might rob a few of them for the summer ;), quick question, how are you working out your paces for the intervals?

Hey Ronnie, Rob away.

I am being told what paces to run by Larry Brent. I'm just following his advice.

04072511 wrote: »

I'll only be getting one stab at it in the Graded meets in May.

I know i just have to keep it under 4 min/mile but i am not sure how to start my garmin as i jump out of the blocks :pac:;)

It's pretty hard to figure out the speeds of the splits because the garmin doesn't perform too well over short distances, I also wasn't sure of where the individual 50m lines were. I am just taking the max speed i reached towards the end of each of the 150s.

distance boys do sub 60s in training, multiple sub 60's or should I say sub 4 minute mile pace ;)

Ha, yeh, but I don't think many boards posters would fall under that particular "distance boys" category.

I'll only be getting one stab at it in the Graded meets in May.

I know i just have to keep it under 4 min/mile but i am not sure how to start my garmin as i jump out of the blocks :pac:;)

It's pretty hard to figure out the speeds of the splits because the garmin doesn't perform too well over short distances, I also wasn't sure of where the individual 50m lines were. I am just taking the max speed i reached towards the end of each of the 150s.

Do a few 400 TT's to see where you stand. The 400 is an easy race to mess up. If you go into the race without any experience of running the distance hard you'll be in for a shock.

That top speed would be 13.0 second 100m pace which is good speed. Whether you can manage that for a full 100m and off a standing start is a different question. Be interesting to see how you get on in these. If you do lots of hard 400m speed endurance work (not that pansy ass distance runners "speed" work ;)) over the next month or so then you could manage the sub 60 (without knowing your sprint background at all, barring a rough hand timed 27 for 200), but if you just rock up to the meet with just marathon training in your back pocket, then be prepared for a surprise.

Thursday
    Planned rest day

Friday
    3 miles easy (8:18) with 6 x 20 seconds @ race pace. Feeling good

Saturday
    KClub 10k

Race was at 11am so I got up at 7.30am for a light breakfast. Had a croissant and a glass of ornage juice. As soon as I drank the juice I felt like I had set off a chemical experiment in my stomach. Didn't know what was going on. Went back to bed for an hour but couldn't settle. I had about 3 visits to the toilet before heading out to Kildare. Took a motillium and hoped the stomach would settle.
    Met a few heads at registration and visited the toilet again :mad:. I tried a little warmup of 1.5 miles to see how things were, was seriously thinking of DNS. Warm up was ok but I wasn't sure how the stomach would react to high intensity. Lined up at the start anyway near the front.

Off we went like the clappers as usual. My strategy was very simple. I was going to follow a few people who I knew ran 38:xx in the GIR last week. I figured we might have gone off slow until I looked to the side after 500m to see CWGatling(he ran 35:30 today) so just settled in. Thru 1k in 3:38 but the pace settled and I was glued to the back of 2 Donadea runners who were going my pace. I followed them for the next 4k. The legs felt fine and the breathing was relaxed but we turned into the wind at around 3k and immediately I could feel the stomach doing somersaults. I was able to stick to the pace but by 4k I was physically having to hold my breath to keep me from puking and then as a result got a huge stitch. Go to the 5k mark in 19:10 (a 2 second PB) and that was it, my stomach could have no more, I pulled over to a ditch at the side of the road and proceeded to 'paint' a wall. Thankfully being a looped course we were only 2k from home so I turned back toe the 5k mark where digger was cheering and jogged back to the clubhouse. Ray spotted me and shouted out. I saw Claralara at 5k and tried to hide myself as I didn't want to giver ideas of pulling out.

Really disappointing as I felt like I was easily in 38:30 shape today, maybe faster if I could push myself but the stomach wouldn't let me go too fast without giving out. I guess I could have rejoined the race and still gone sub 40 but I reckon that would have been stupid. I had a backup plan of running the samsung race next week if things didn't go well today but I see it's sold out :mad: I'll have to look for another 10k soon.

Anyway 3.15 miles covered of the race.

Cool down 0.9 mile

5.5 miles total for the day

I'm pacing wexford half tomorrow I think I'll be fine as I don't think I'm sick. I guess it was just something I ate last night or else the juice was off.

WTD 5/6 days running 28.6 miles

April|22/30|176.4|April|14/21|124.1
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|93/112|902.1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

I've just read through your post and all that stands out is the fact that you managed to get a 5K PB right before you threw up:) You have every right to be disappointed but it was out of your control and it'll have to be put down as a bad day at the office:(

Hope you're feeling much better soon for your sake and mine.... I'm not sure how confident I'd be pacing my first race without your experienced company;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Just bring a sick bag with you O....just in case!!

Marthastew wrote: »
    I've just read through your post and all that stands out is the fact that you managed to get a 5K PB right before you threw up:) You have every right to be disappointed but it was out of your control and it'll have to be put down as a bad day at the office:(

Hope you're feeling much better soon for your sake and mine.... I'm not sure how confident I'd be pacing my first race without your experienced company;)

Yeah I am not too worried just annoyed. I was definitely unlucky today.

I've already been looking around and I see there is a 10k in Dundalk on thursday 9th May http://www.dundalkhalfmarathon.com/index.php

Does anyone know anything about this? The only pain seems to be having to pick up the race pack the sunday before. But I could use that as an excuse to go home for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Orange juice :rolleyes: It was FEAR

or maybe orange juice, I suppose. It's very acidic, can be hard on the digestion. Sportsworld 5 mile for another showdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Yeah I am not too worried just annoyed. I was definitely unlucky today.

I've already been looking around and I see there is a 10k in Dundalk on thursday 9th May http://www.dundalkhalfmarathon.com/index.php

Does anyone know anything about this? The only pain seems to be having to pick up the race pack the sunday before. But I could use that as an excuse to go home for the weekend.

Hi menoscemo, hard luck today but it's only a matter of time and the sub 39 is there. As regards to the Dundalk 10k, I've never done the 10k but there is a half marathon on the same day that I've done the last two years and uses the same course as the 10k. It's virtually a completely flat course, slight incline along the river at about the 8k mark but nothing too challenging, actually not too dissimilar to today's course (minus the double lap). Good race with good crowd support, there's also a 10k on in Drogheda the Sunday before, the Boyne 10k, just another option. Think there is a thread on both in the events section.

RayCun wrote: »
    Orange juice :rolleyes: It was FEAR

or maybe orange juice, I suppose. It's very acidic, can be hard on the digestion. Sportsworld 5 mile for another showdown?

Yeah the orange jouce set off something for sure but I think I may have had too many sweets last night :o I'll definitely be avoinding OJ before races in the future though.

Can't do Sportsworld I'm afraid. Pacing Kildare that day. I'll be doing the BHAA 5 miler in Dunbiyne for sure. Show down there?

pconn062 wrote: »
    Hi menoscemo, hard luck today but it's only a matter of time and the sub 39 is there. As regards to the Dundalk 10k, I've never done the 10k but there is a half marathon on the same day that I've done the last two years and uses the same course as the 10k. It's virtually a completely flat course, slight incline along the river at about the 8k mark but nothing too challenging, actually not too dissimilar to today's course (minus the double lap). Good race with good crowd support, there's also a 10k on in Drogheda the Sunday before, the Boyne 10k, just another option. Think there is a thread on both in the events section.

Yeah the boyne 10k would be ideal but I'm in Limerick that day.

Dundalk definitely looks a good option, the only issue is how to pick up my race pack. Hopefully someone here is doing it and can pick it up for me :D

How did you get on yourself today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Yeah the boyne 10k would be ideal but I'm in Limerick that day.

Dundalk definitely looks a good option, the only issue is how to pick up my race pack. Hopefully someone here is doing it and can pick it up for me :D

How did you get on yourself today?

Got on good but a tough day, thought sub 39 might be there but had to settle for 39:17, but at least one of us beat Ray! :) If you decide to sign up for that, let me know, I'm doing the half and can pick up your number if you don't know anyone else doing it, just PM me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Unlucky, only a matter of time as you're in great nick. I still should have layed you at 1/6 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'll be doing the BHAA 5 miler in Dunbiyne for sure. Show down there?

Can't do it, I'll be on holidays. It'll have to be Dunshaughlin so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement