Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Can't do it, I'll be on holidays. It'll have to be Dunshaughlin so.

:mad: I'm not planning on racing dunshaughlin as I am racing the HM in Enniscorthy the next day.

St Cocas 5k

Aviva Mile?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

:pac: need to get your people to talk to my people :cool:
    Yes, I'm doing the mile, maybe see you there

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hard luck. You sure it wasn't just nerves + starting too fast in an attempt to beat the oap Ray? :)

My stomach does be in ribbons for big races, jeez my stomach was in ribbons before the nat 10k and I was keeping the HR under 170 for that and still bricking it.

Hard luck. You sure it wasn't just nerves + starting too fast in an attempt to beat the oap Ray? :)

My stomach does be in ribbons for big races, jeez my stomach was in ribbons before the nat 10k and I was keeping the HR under 170 for that and still bricking it.

Nope it definitely wasn't nerves or going off too fast. Purely acidic feeling. The fact that my stomach is still in ribbons right now proves that. Feels like it is still trying to get rid of something :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    . I saw Claralara at 5k and tried to hide myself as I didn't want to giver ideas of pulling out

It has to be said WTF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

pconn062 wrote: »
    Got on good but a tough day, thought sub 39 might be there but had to settle for 39:17, but at least one of us beat Ray! :) If you decide to sign up for that, let me know, I'm doing the half and can pick up your number if you don't know anyone else doing it, just PM me.

Fellas, I'm planning to do this HM also. It's to be a litmus test for Cork 3:30 target. I wasn't aware we had to pick up race number in advance so if that's the case can ye keep me up to date with all collection plans?

Well done pconn, a great time there!!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    It has to be said WTF?
    She was very nervous before the race and I could see she was struggling at that point herself. She'll tell later in her report but she did see me but fair play, she was able to banish the mental demons and dig deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey! I'm with Marthastew on the 5k PB standing out. And your OJ experience reminds me of BeepBeep67's possible bad experience with OJ the morning of Rotterdam. Could be a lesson for most of us. Well done any way, meno. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

So Ray stubbed his toe breaking into Memo's place to spike the OJ is what i hear from this. :D

And what did we learn from this: Don't race against Ray.

chinguetti wrote: »
    And what did we learn from this: Don't race against Ray.

As you can see from the above conversations, I am being very careful to pick races that ray is not doing for the next while :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

Sorry to hear things didn't work out today. I'm sure it will give you extra motivation to kick Ray's ass in the next showdown :pac:

I noticed a couple of people walking off the course on my way around. Were you wearing a Donadea 50k top (at least thats what I think it was?) or a 2011 DCM shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

It was Donadea alright.

Anto should charge you double for next year's race!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

You'ld want to think about the trash talk too, you dig yourself an awful hole and the Gods conspire against you.

Barely beat Ray in the BHAA 4 miler there a couple of weeks ago so he was always on for a sub 40 from that day. I would be too if the injuries went away but i'll worry about that another day hopefully.

chinguetti wrote: »
    You'ld want to think about the trash talk too, you dig yourself an awful hole and the Gods conspire against you.

Barely beat Ray in the BHAA 4 miler there a couple of weeks ago so he was always on for a sub 40 from that day. I would be too if the injuries went away but i'll worry about that another day hopefully.

Hope your back for the realy in Cork. I am just disappointed because I had a really good time in me today if the gods hadn't conspired against me. I haven't been able to eat since the race yet and am going to the toilet every 15 minutes :mad:

Anyway @ Pconn, thanks for the offer but discussing with LB I will probably wait until the race series for my next 10k. I have plenty of other races lined up in the mean time so I need to get some training done too.

@ Beeduybe, yeah that was me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

It has to be said WTF?
    She was very nervous before the race and I could see she was struggling at that point herself. She'll tell later in her report but she did see me but fair play, she was able to banish the mental demons and dig deep.

Ok, it just seemed an odd thing to say. To be fair though she's a tough oul cookie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Ok, it just seemed an odd thing to say. To be fair though she's a tough oul cookie

CL is no baler ;):D

After Saturdays race I lay on the sofa feeling sorry for myself with a dodgy stomach and cramps, not feeling like eating. I was also getting a few dizzy spells so I was a bit worried about the following days pacing. Got a text from a mate who was going to watch el classico in the city so I decided to take an Irish solution to the matter, I headed into town for a 'few' pints of guinness and after a while managed to feel ok enough to order and hold down a nice pub grub meal.

Sunday
    Wexford HM
    Woke up at 7am to get a bit of breakfast before my lift (aimman) arrived. Was feeling a bit dodgy but I put it down to the pints rather than yesterday stomach (as planned :D) and thus convinced myself I was fine to pace todays race.
    We picked up Marhastew and made it down to Wexford. Registrtation was a bit makeshift under a smokers roof outside a pub. So we had little room to get our gear on, including our bright yellow 'Time keeper' bibs.

Anyhow, we went down to the start about 15 minutes before the off and chatted to loads of boardises. I was pacing 1:45 with Marthastew on her maiden pacing gig. Off we went and the first 3k were nice and flat so we built up a nice 20 second cushion and had a lovely group of 25-30 runners and plenty of chat. As expected there was a slight incline from 3-7km. I had told MS that we could give our cushion back here and a few seconds if necessary to keep the group together. As it happened we were bang on target as we entered the castle at the top of the hill and the hill hadn't really affected the group at all. Inside the castle we encountered a few problems, mainly a car blocking passage and then an incredibly tight one way system of loop backs and unfortunately we lost about 20 seconds in these few km so I told MS we needed to hurry a bit when we left the castle. Luckily there was a lovely long downhill stretch from KM 10-13 so by the bottom of the hill were were 20 seconds up and just had to hold 8 min/pace from here on in to hit the target exactly.

The chatter in the group had died at this stage but most of the runners were still with us which was great. I had a quick pitstop just after halfway which was more due to a dodgy stomach than a need to alleviate the bladder and on rejoining the group it was obvious that there were very few runners behind our band of merry men and women and instead there was a very noticeable bunch gathered around MS' red balloon and constant chatter :D. The last few miles went very smooth. We sent a big bunch on with about 2 mile to go but they stayed only a few metres ahead of us. We dragged a few stragglers who were dropping back on with us and were reunited with most of our group who went ahead with 1k to go but they all stayed with us to the finish line. I let MS run through the line as I hung back a bit to roar behind at a few lads that were were 30seconds up and they could still make it. Thankfully they got the message and sped up over the last 400m to get in under 1:45.

Lots of happy faces and handshakes at the end which makes it all worthwhile.

13.1 miles
    in 1:44:42 (8 min/mile 150 HR).

It was a pleasure to pace with Marthastew who did a great job. Her constant talk and encouragement really went down well with the pacees.

Weekly total 6/7 days running 41.7 miles

Monday

4.4 miles recovery @ 9:06 pace. My work routine is a little disrupted this week and I am in town for the mornings. I took a bag in with me and changed into my running gear and headed home at lunchtime. Firts time running with a bag which must have weighed 7 kilos. Same again tomorrow. Note to self: wear lighter clothes tomorrow :D

WTD 1/1 days running 4.4 miles

2011|No. of days Running|Miles|2012 |No. of days Running|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3|January|28/31|290.1
    February|24/28|236.9|February|27/29|283.2
    March|23/31|221.9|March|24/31|204.7
    April|22/30|176.4|April|16/23|141.6
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|95/114|919.6

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Bad luck on Saturday Meno but fair play for doing ur pacing duties to perfection in Wexford....Mmmmmm I hope RayCun or some of his entourage didnt tamper with ur grub :D.. Remember what allegedy happened to the All Black on the eve of the RWC final '85 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saturday
    KClub 10k

I pulled over to a ditch at the side of the road and proceeded to 'paint' a wall.

Jesus christ man, aside from my bother(who is the incredible barfing man)I dont know another person who pukes as much as you. All joking aside, have you asked your GP about this?
    As number swaps are forbidden I wont openly talk about the samsung race, but wink wink nudge nudge.........all im saying is, keep the door open.

tunguska wrote: »
    Jesus christ man, aside from my bother(who is the incredible barfing man)I dont know another person who pukes as much as you. All joking aside, have you asked your GP about this?
    As number swaps are forbidden I wont openly talk about the samsung race, but wink wink nudge nudge.........all im saying is, keep the door open.

Haha, Yeah I went through a phase of unexpected puking about a year ago. I went to the GP and he didn't have a clue :rolleyes: I started taking motillium before races and hadn't had a relapse since last summer. At the time I was feeling sick on all tempo runs/intervals.

Saturday was different though, on the other occassions I puked at the end of races after i was at full exertion and there was nothing wrong before the race (HR ws generally maxing out at those times too).
    On saturday I knew I was sick before the race and still don't feel well now. It didn't take too much to put me 'over the edge'. I didn't wear the HRM but I was nowhere near max HR at the time of the 'incident'.

Let me know if you hear of anything for sundays race ;) I'll be ready to run it should the opportunity arise.

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    5 mile jog back from town. 8:50/mile. I noticed the Hr is coming back to normal (131).

Wednesday
    Graded meets
    I decided to do these months ago but with the monsson conditions in Dublin I figured they might be called off. I texted ecoli who told me they were v.unlikely to be cancelled for any reason so I arrived out in the gales and rain to santry at 6.20pm. Conditions were not pleasant. The organisers were busy sweeping water from the track.
    I signed up for the 100m, 800m and Longjump in the lowest grade possible. I knew I was an imposter. these lads were all training specifically for track and I had never done any before. Took a 16 minute jog around the local area. Before togging out into my singlet and spikes and doing 6 100m strides on the indoor track. It was after 7 so I put on a tracksuit and headed out to watch the womens 100m.
    Then it was my turn. I hadn't clue what to do. I have never started from blocks before so I had to ask the lad beside me how to set them up :o

The race went off and I was very slow out of the blocks. I guess there isn't a lot of tecnique in100m so I just pelted it as fast as I could into the sweeping rain and wind. Immediately I was cut adrift but thankfully there was one lad behind. Anyways The winner came in with 12.32 on the clock and I figured I was a second behind. I was hoping to get in the 13s but the official time was confirmed later as 14.00:mad:. At lewast i didn't come last but I was beaten by a fellow with 1 arm :o

I Tried to keep warm by redonning the tracksuit and soing a few laps of the perimter as I had about a 30 min wait for my 800m heat. When it finally came around the weather was at its worst. The galeforce wind driving down the backstraight and Icy rain too. Everyone waited to the last second to remove their jackets before lining up. I noticed my heat was full of young wippets. all were about 16-18 including the young lads I see sprinting 400 reps down my club while I'm plodding multiple repititions with the oul lads.

My plan was to tryo to hang with the back of the group down the backstraight where the wind was at it's worst but I just couldn't hang on so had to face the elements with no shelter. I was adrift by about 15m after the first lap (71.2) and the lactic hit me bad and I had to trudge alone backdown the backstraight again unable to breath with the wind in my face. Felt like I was doing 9 min/mile here. Finally tuurned onto the home straight again and got some relief but I was a long way back of second last :o

Came home eventually in 2:39.2 The lap splits of 71.6, 87.6. Tell the story.

The long jump was cancelled due to the bad weather. Did a 2 mile cool down. Legs shaky but no injuries.

I was definitely out of my depth here but still enjoyed it. Will still proabably do the next one next moth (200m and 1500m)

My 800m time was a total disater and I should easily break 2:30 in better conditions, I'll hopefully do the BHAA one on trinity track.

Total miles for the night 5.5 (estimate)

WTD 3/3 days running 14.9 miles

April|22/30|176.4|April|18/25|152.1
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|97/116|930.1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Will still proabably do the next one next moth (200m and 1500m)

Don't tell me you Tallaght lads with your fancy track don't have a sprint group? You should go get some tips for your 200m before the next meet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

At least i didn't come last but I was beaten by a fellow with 1 arm :o

Probably a one arm bandit :D;)

RayCun wrote: »
    Don't tell me you Tallaght lads with your fancy track don't have a sprint group? You should go get some tips for your 200m before the next meet.

We do yeah, but I've never joined it for a session. Maybe will do alright. I had no clue about the blocks at all.

By the way ray, Our guy won the 100m A race. I didn't see any of your boys tonight :D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done meno for giving it a go and at least for the next one you'll have one more runner behind you :D

Woddle wrote: »
    Well done meno for giving it a go and at least for the next one you'll have one more runner behind you :D

Great, I'm glad to hear it :D

Will you try the 200 as well? I'm hoping they put the LJ p in the next one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great, I'm glad to hear it :D

Will you try the 200 as well? I'm hoping they put the LJ p in the next one too.

No chance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Tuesday
    5 mile jog back from town. 8:50/mile. I noticed the Hr is coming back to normal (131).

Wednesday
    Graded meets
    I decided to do these months ago but with the monsson conditions in Dublin I figured they might be called off. I texted ecoli who told me they were v.unlikely to be cancelled for any reason so I arrived out in the gales and rain to santry at 6.20pm. Conditions were not pleasant. The organisers were busy sweeping water from the track.
    I signed up for the 100m, 800m and Longjump in the lowest grade possible. I knew I was an imposter. these lads were all training specifically for track and I had never done any before. Took a 16 minute jog around the local area. Before togging out into my singlet and spikes and doing 6 100m strides on the indoor track. It was after 7 so I put on a tracksuit and headed out to watch the womens 100m.
    Then it was my turn. I hadn't clue what to do. I have never started from blocks before so I had to ask the lad beside me how to set them up :o

The race went off and I was very slow out of the blocks. I guess there isn't a lot of tecnique in100m so I just pelted it as fast as I could into the sweeping rain and wind. Immediately I was cut adrift but thankfully there was one lad behind. Anyways The winner came in with 12.32 on the clock and I figured I was a second behind. I was hoping to get in the 13s but the official time was confirmed later as 14.00:mad:. At lewast i didn't come last but I was beaten by a fellow with 1 arm :o

I Tried to keep warm by redonning the tracksuit and soing a few laps of the perimter as I had about a 30 min wait for my 800m heat. When it finally came around the weather was at its worst. The galeforce wind driving down the backstraight and Icy rain too. Everyone waited to the last second to remove their jackets before lining up. I noticed my heat was full of young wippets. all were about 16-18 including the young lads I see sprinting 400 reps down my club while I'm plodding multiple repititions with the oul lads.

My plan was to tryo to hang with the back of the group down the backstraight where the wind was at it's worst but I just couldn't hang on so had to face the elements with no shelter. I was adrift by about 15m after the first lap (71.2) and the lactic hit me bad and I had to trudge alone backdown the backstraight again unable to breath with the wind in my face. Felt like I was doing 9 min/mile here. Finally tuurned onto the home straight again and got some relief but I was a long way back of second last :o

Came home eventually in 2:39.2 The lap splits of 71.6, 87.6. Tell the story.

The long jump was cancelled due to the bad weather. Did a 2 mile cool down. Legs shaky but no injuries.

I was definitely out of my depth here but still enjoyed it. Will still proabably do the next one next moth (200m and 1500m)

My 800m time was a total disater and I should easily break 2:30 in better conditions, I'll hopefully do the BHAA one on trinity track.

Total miles for the night 5.5 (estimate)

WTD 3/3 days running 14.9 miles

April|22/30|176.4|April|18/25|152.1
    May|25/31|198.5|||
    June|24/30|180.6|||
    July|28/31|269.4|||
    August|23/31|244.6|||
    September|22/30|200|||
    October|26/31|187.5|||
    November|28/30|210.1|||
    December|24/31|194.3|||
    Total|297/365|2576.5|Total|97/116|930.1

Good on ya for giving it a go. I wouldn't lose heart. Definitely keep doing them and you'll get better. Bit of an eye opener with regards the the sub 60 400m though eh? ;) Bit of work to be done.

Did you have a tailwind or a headwind for the 100m?
    I guess there isn't a lot of tecnique in100m

This is very incorrect. The 100m is all about technique.

04072511 wrote: »
    Good on ya for giving it a go. I wouldn't lose heart. Definitely keep doing them and you'll get better. Bit of an eye opener with regards the the sub 60 400m though eh? ;) Bit of work to be done.
    Deffo, Based on my 71 second first lap in the 800m, I'd say I could squeeze out a 65 second one lapper at best. I somehow figuerd that sprints would be like road races, I'd pull out way faster times in a race than in training. I was wrong there. There's only so fast your legs will carry you (especially over 100m).
    Did you have a tailwind or a headwind for the 100m?

It was kind of a cross wind, very strong. Slightly helping, but with the rain etc the winning lads said they were down on expected times.
    This is very incorrect. The 100m is all about technique.

I'm sure it is, must get some tips from the sprint group.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Deffo, Based on my 71 second first lap in the 800m, I'd say I could squeeze out a 65 second one lapper at best. I somehow figuerd that sprints would be like road races, I'd pull out way faster times in a race than in training. I was wrong there. There's only so fast your legs will carry you (especially over 100m).

What sort of footwear were you wearing? Spikes I assume?

How is your running technique. Are you getting up onto your toes or are you heel striking.

Get a bit of sprint coaching and you'll improve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement