Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Woddle wrote: »
    Congrats menoscreamo absolutely super although it sounds like you were having a stroke rather than cramp from your description. Time to change the log title me thinks.
    LOL, thats what I thought when I read it:pac:
    Well done menopause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

chinguetti wrote: »
    M I'm thinking Saturday Night Fever with the medal and a white suit:D Sure tis Teno worries Claralara's friend was after you.
    the shirt and the medal were brilliant but it was the salsa dancing classes that went down a treat :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭aficionado

Well done Meno and to your buddy Frank,
    Good chatting to ya's on the train and the pub :)
    Seen you hit 92% HR on the report, Any idea where that would have been?

Congrats menoscreamo absolutely super although it sounds like you were having a stroke rather than cramp from your description. Time to change the log title me thinks.

I was having a cramp for sure, but I am note sure if Oisin was havind a stroke or a cramp later on. either way the stroke/cramp was close to the groin area.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DigiJem

Congrats meno, brilliant running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Well done Meno. That's a serious tale of triumph over adversity, not to mention determination to get the job done.

It's not my place to suggest you're a real runner now...but I don't think many would deny you the title.

Nice going!

aficionado wrote: »
    Well done Meno and to your buddy Frank,
    Good chatting to ya's on the train and the pub :)
    Seen you hit 92% HR on the report, Any idea where that would have been?

Yep, I am pretty sure I hit 92% in ryans :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yep, I am pretty sure I hit 92% in ryans :pac:

He thought someone was about to spill his pint, and in an epic dive to save said pint...

Well done Meno on a great race. It sounds amazing so may give it a go next year.

Here bud, you would cruise though it!!! see you at the irsish open super sattelite?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Well done Meno, delighted for ya. Great report too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Class stuff Meno, Well done. No easy feat.
    I reckon you're due a couple of days rest after that!
    Any singing done in the pub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

He was excited about receiving his medal!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

Well done! Fantastic time, especially considering the circumstances you had to contend with. Great to read an ultra race report!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Amazing stuff! Well done, great report too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I don't know what the 'special' is but I can't see myself not doing this race again next year. 5:30 here we come. I want to get into the elusive negative split club :pac:

Spoken like a true ultra runner. You have the bug now. Anyway,
    Great running! . Although Dingle is cancelled (major disappointed in that) you can smash the time in a very flat Longford 39.3M Ultra at the end of August.

I'm waiting for the Post Race Party report. I think I need a few blank moments filled in, haha. Mind you. I definitely remember all the bits worth remembering. ;)

Only nine people between us at the finish, I'll have to work on narrowing that gap now.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Here bud, you would cruise though it!!! see you at the irsish open super sattelite?

Yeah will probably head down and give the open sattelite a bash. I have already pencilled in Conn 2012 as it is early enough in the season and from all the reports i am reading it sounds like an amazing place to run.
    Aimman wrote: »
    Although Dingle is cancelled (major disappointed in that) you can smash the time in a very flat Longford 39.3M Ultra at the end of August.

That is a shame on Dingle as i was contemplating on giving it a go. Longford would probably be to soon after IM.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Well done Meno- great achievement to add to the others over the past few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Well done Meno- great achievement to add to the others over the past few months!

Maybe time to retire now, a man of his age you know ;)

Just a little short lap of Tymon to test the legs.
    2.7 miles @9:30 pace. I can still feel the knot in my left hamstring that took the worst of the cramp on Sunday. I'll have to go easy for a few days as the physio is on holidays for the next week. Hopefully plenty of rolling will loosen it out.

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|8/13|82.4
    Total|83/103|797.7

The Euphoria of Connemara has been absolutely devastated by the sad news of SarsfieldRock's accident on sunday night. He is the self same man who roped me into Conn with that crazy bet and is now fighting for his life in the ICU in Galway. For anyone hearing about this for the first time, you can leave a message of support over on his log that will get to him in hospital.

Eddie, after 47 marathons and multiple ultras, I'm sure you can pull through this one too.

Took on the 'long' loop of Tymon this evening and the legs felt much better:
    3.4 miles @ 8:37 pace. almost a minute per mile afster than yesterday with the same effort. Still a few twinges though and the legs are stiff in various places.

WTD 2 runs 6.1 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|9/14|85.8
    Total|84/104|801.1

Through the 800 barrier woohooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Just catching up, congrats on the ultra, you played a blinder. And well done on breaking 800 for the year, I'm jealous!;)

Everyhting felt a bit better agin today so I decided to stretch the legs a bit more today. I am planning on starting a 5k training plan next week so I figured If I couldn't sting a few sub 8 minute miles together today I wouldn't be ready for all the fast intervals and tempos next week...

so 5.3 miles @ 7.50 pace. Felt quite easy after the first mile. Still a few bits of tightness in various parts of either leg but I should be grand by Monday so it's all systems go.

WTD 3 runs 11.4 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|10/15|91.1
    Total|85/105|806.4

Throwing a bit of speed in yesterday seems to be just what the doctor ordered in terms of throwing off the cobwebs. Woke up this morning and the legs feel back to normal.
    Kept todays run at recovery pace but there was very little of the niggles and stiffness from earlier in the week. I threw about 5 strides into the last mile just for the craic.

6.3 miles@ 8:50 pace

WTD 4 runs 17.7 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|11/16|97.4
    Total|86/106|812.7

Today was to be a rest day as I had to nurse a hangover and play some golf this afternoon. However in my drunken stupor, I somehow managed to stub my little toe going to bed last night and it has swollen up quite a bit and from feeling it, appears to be broken :o

Obviously this had me worried as I am planning to begin a 5k programme tomorrow and wasn't sure If I could run on it so I went out for a sneaky 2 miler after golf to check it was ok. Luckily there doesn't seem to be any pain from running so it's all systems go :D

2 miles @ 7:55 pace

WTD 5 runs 19.7 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|12/17|99.4
    Total|87/107|814.7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Put some ice on your toe and also into some of your drinks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

A runner's answer to every ailment, I was feeling fluey so I decided to run in the heat to sweat it out, Meno breaks his toe and rather than use conventional medicine ie an X ray, he goes for a run.:rolleyes:

mrslow wrote: »
    A runner's answer to every ailment, I was feeling fluey so I decided to run in the heat to sweat it out, Meno breaks his toe and rather than use conventional medicine ie an X ray, he goes for a run.:rolleyes:

HaHa, I knew I would get this comment. I just didn't want to go out to UCD for intervals tomorrow only to find out I can't run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Catching up. Well done on last weekend's run out West, great running.

HH Advanced 5k programme.
    wk 1 day 1 Intervals:
    6x 400m @mile pace. What is mile pace? well a 19 min 5k equates to a 5:30 mile according to Mc Millan so pace for these should be 82 or 83 seconds. No Problem I thought. A few months on the track with Brianderunner to chase ago I Did 10 of these straight with an 83 average, so 6 would be no bother.

Tonight however I either have not recovered from Conn or Have lost all speed or a little of both but I could not hold the required pace after the first interval. The HR maxed out at pretty much it's limit for all reps so it seems that I was giving it full juice 9and it certainly felt that way- nearly puked a few times).

Anyway splits (max HR) were: 83 (178) 84 (181), 86 (180), 87 (180) 88 (180) 88 (180).

Hopefully I'll get a bit more speed in these as time goes on. Next weeks session is 10 x 200 at 800m pace :eek:.

I have another longer interval session to do on wednesday and a 'fast' 4 mile tempo later int he week so it's certainly going to be interesting after all that ultra training.

Total for the day:
    5.1 miles

WTD: 1 Run 5.1 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|13/18|104.5
    Total|88/108|819.8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

HH Advanced 5k programme.
    Tonight however I either have not recovered from Conn or Have lost all speed

I know which of the two it is :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement