Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Jaysus, you don't believe in taking breaks, do you?
    One week off after an ultra and then you pick the programme that has three hard runs a week, while also squeezing in pacing gigs and Sportsworld?
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    Jaysus, you don't believe in taking breaks, do you?
    One week off after an ultra and then you pick the programme that has three hard runs a week, while also squeezing in pacing gigs and Sportsworld?
    :eek:
    We'll see how it goes, but the mileage on the HH 5k programme is very light compared to what I'm used to, so it should be OK. This may also sound crazy, but I don't think I'll take too long to recover after Conn, It'll be long but slow. I recovered very quickly after the 50k race in February.

Today:

7.3 miles @ 8:44 pace Back into work this morning. On the face of it this looks encouraging as I didn't try hard but the pace is the fastest yet for this run. However I have to admit that there was a fierce wind which seemed to be at my back for a lot of the way in.

WTD 3 Runs 21.2 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    Total|75/90|716.1

This is my lightest running month of the year so far. The average length of run is pretty much on par with the others, just I had more rest days this month (8 in March compared to 7 in January and February combined). This mostly comes down to tapers (for Barca and conn) and recovery days after races (50k and Mallow). Overall a good month, including 2 races and 2 PB's, with the highlight being the Barcelona Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

menoscemo wrote: »
    This is my lightest running month of the year so far. The average length of run is pretty much on par with the others, just I had more rest days this month (8 in March compared to 7 in January and February combined). This mostly comes down to tapers (for Barca and conn) and recovery days after races (50k and Mallow). Overall a good month, including 2 races and 2 PB's, with the highlight being the Barcelona Marathon.

Hows the taper madness coming along? Are you feeling fresher with the extra rest days, even though you keeping up the milage and throwing in a marathon for the crack?

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Hows the taper madness coming along? Are you feeling fresher with the extra rest days, even though you keeping up the milage and throwing in a marathon for the crack?

Legs don't feel 100% fresh yet. I am thinking racing Mallow might not have been the best idea, but If I am feeling fresher this time next week It'll all have worked out perfectly. I am gonna see the physio on saturday, not that there's anything particularly wrong, just a few niggles and knots I am hoping he can iron out.

Not feeling too much taper madness (yet) to be honest. I know I am going to enjoy the race but I am also wishing it to be over so I can get onto other stuff (like getting faster over the short distances). I feel my progression over the short stuff has stalled a bit due to all the long slow miles.
    Ask me again this time next week and I am sure I'll be a bag of nerves though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

going to be great crack next week:D

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    going to be great crack next week:D

How are you getting on? Haven't heard any updates on your log for a while, everything ok or are you just resting up?

How are you getting on? Haven't heard any updates on your log for a while, everything ok or are you just resting up?
    3 hard days in work so no running. Did a lsr today, ill run the next 3days probably and tues weds thurs next week. Nice and slow:D

Went to see the Physio this morning for a general check up/Rub down. A few little niggles and tight spots which are hopefully now ironed out (though strangely my lower back has a pain in it which it didn't before :o).

Decided to go stretch the legs in Marlay Park Afterwards, doing a few easy laps mixed with a couple of faster miles.

5.9 miles
    @ 7:37 av pace Including 2 tempo miles (6:51, 6:35).

WTD 4 Runs 27.1 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|1/2|5.9
    Total|76/92|721

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Did the physio not guide you to avoid running for the rest of the day? The usual guidance would be not to run after a massage, as you'll undo some of the work that the physio has done for you. I'd usually try and get my run in before seeing the physio.

Did the physio not guide you to avoid running for the rest of the day? The usual guidance would be not to run after a massage, as you'll undo some of the work that the physio has done for you. I'd usually try and get my run in before seeing the physio.

Never heard that one. I told him I was going running after and he said nothing. BTW it was Ciaran Fitz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Never heard that one. I told him I was going running after and he said nothing. BTW it was Ciaran Fitz.
    Possibly an urban myth, but I've heard it a few times. CF has practically become the Boards team physio!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

CF has practically become the Boards team physio!
    Funny because it's true :pac:

Possibly an urban myth, but I've heard it a few times. CF has practically become the Boards team physio!

I've been going to him for a few years now. He says that business has picked up in the last few months alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Wouldn't be the norm to run after a Physio session. Usually run first then do the session. I see CF also. Has advised me to run easy the following day also.

Wouldn't be the norm to run after a Physio session. Usually run first then do the session. I see CF also. Has advised me to run easy the following day also.

I guess It is just because there was nothing actually wrong with me when I went to see him. Just a light going over to make sure I am 100% for next weekend but he did find a bit of tightness in the left calf I hadn't known was there.

Thanks for the advice lads. I'll bear it in mind for next time. I had planned on running before my session but I was too lazy.

I had planned on running before my session but I was too hungover.

Fixed. :pac:

Fixed. :pac:

:mad: That's actually not true for once. I only had one bottle of wine last night.

13.4 miles in the Park with Digger, MrSlow, Chinguetti, Claralara, Brownian and Xebec. Great Craic. The talk was just as smutty and lowbrow as in the Logs :pac:. Did 10 with most of the group @9:30 pace and the last 3 or so with Digger at 8:30 pace.

Weekly total 5 Runs 40.5 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|2/3|19.3
    Total|77/93|734.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Fair play meno, you jsut keep going from strenght to strenght. I see your talking about a 10k program after Conn and before Berlin, think this is a great idea, capture some of that speed back before launching a PB attempt in Berlin.
    Are you going to do the sportsworld 5?

Woddle wrote: »
    Fair play meno, you jsut keep going from strenght to strenght. I see your talking about a 10k program after Conn and before Berlin, think this is a great idea, capture some of that speed back before launching a PB attempt in Berlin.
    Are you going to do the sportsworld 5?

I am thinking of doing a mixture of the HH advanced 5k and 10k programmes, focussing more on the 5k stuff as the goal will be the Donore 5k race at the end of May. As you say, hopefully that will get my cruising speed up before the Berlin traiing begins.
    I'll probably run the Sportsworld 5 miler since the 5k program has a tune up race half way thru and sportsworld falls at just about the right time. It won't exactly be a goal race but I will obviously be hoping for a PB.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just as well I'm not able to run then. I wouldn't have been able to be around that smut. I'm a lady.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Just as well I'm not able to run then. I wouldn't have been able to be around that smut. I'm a lady.

I heard no smut:confused:...Then again, I was happy to stay toward the back with Lady Chatterly.....

Whats the planned milage for the week. Im planning maybe 3 10k and a few days rest before. Found out a girl i work with is doing the ultra. Kept it nice and quiet:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Whats the planned milage for the week. Im planning maybe 3 10k and a few days rest before. Found out a girl i work with is doing the ultra. Kept it nice and quiet:D

Interesting question. I have been roughly following P&D mileage for the last few weeks, doing something between what they suggest in the <55 Mpw Program and the <70 mpw. Next week The <55 programme gives 22 miles in the 6 days prior over 4 runs. The <70 progamme gives 28 miles over 5 runs.

I'll probably do 4-7-7-4-rest-4 (the two 7's being the run in/out of work).

Fair play that girl. What's her target? what does she look like? :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

He just wants to know if she's hawt. One track mind this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Interesting question. I have been roughly following P&D mileage for the last few weeks, doing something between what they suggest in the <55 Mpw Program and the <70 mpw. Next week The <55 programme gives 22 miles in the 6 days prior over 4 runs. The <70 progamme gives 28 miles over 5 runs.

I'll probably do 4-7-7-4-rest-4 (the two 7's being the run in/out of work).

How many training manuals have you digested now?
    Sometimes its like looking at a different number system there with the amount of numbers referenced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

What he really wants to know is whether she'l go weak at the knees when he walks in with his ultra medal around his neck... Hate to burst your bubble dude but she'll have her own!

claralara wrote: »
    What he really wants to know is whether she'l go weak at the knees when he walks in with his ultra medal around his neck... Hate to burst your bubble dude but she'll have her own!

Maybe that's what he wants, someone who can keep going for as long as he can...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

claralara wrote: »
    What he really wants to know is whether she'll go weak at the knees when he walks in with his ultra medal around his neck... Hate to burst your bubble dude but she'll have her own!

She will if she's running behind him and he's had the pre-race fry up :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement