Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

6.3 miles around Tymon @8:43 pace with Aimman. Av HR 143. While the HR is about 5 BPM more than normal it is about 10BPM lower than on a similar distanced (slightly slower and less hilly) run on saturday, so My recovery is obviously coming along nicely. I'll try to get back to using the HRM more again as it is a good guide for speed training and a good monitor of how much I have recovered from the Ultra. I don't expect to hit all my goal paces staright away but it is nice to know I am working hard/easy enough.

Tomorrow is 6 x half a mile at 5k Pace :eek:

WTD: 2 Run 11.4 miles

Month|No. of days Runnning|Miles
    January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|14/19|110.8
    Total|89/109|826.2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Mate i think your garmin is broke. It doesnt seem to be able to go over 6.3 miles:p

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Mate i think your garmin is broke. It doesnt seem to be able to go over 6.3 miles:p

Don't worry, it will on saturday ;)
    Anyways I'm a 5k runner now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

menoscemo wrote: »
    Don't worry, it will on saturday ;)
    Anyways I'm a 5k runner now
    ah yes but are you a real 5k runner ;)

For his second speed session of the week, HH calls for a 'Tempo' run, however his definaition of @tempo' is quite ambiguous and for me quite confusing. Tonight he calls for a 30 minute tempo run, but I am not sure if he wants me to run fast for 30 minutes or not (he talks about only reaching race pace for a few minutes in the middle).

Reading this thread by Shels during the week, I have decided to make the second speed session in this programe a variation of the Mcmillan 'Best 10k workouts'. Basically covering the race distance in each session at goal pace but increasing the length of the reps as the weeks go on.

Tonights plan was 6 x 0.5 mile at Goal pace with 2 minute recoveries. I am happy to put goal pace at 6:10/mile at the moment. The idea is to tweak the session each week so that I am running 3 x 1 mile at goal pace the week before the race.

Tonights session went much better than monday. The length of the 6 reps varied a bit (between 0.46 and 0.51/ mile) so I'll just put up pace(min/mile) and max HR:
    6:03 (178), 5:59 (180), 6:07 (182), 6:07 (182), 6:12 (183), 6:07 (184)

Wow I'm actually quite surprised at the max HR's looking at that, that's some of the highest I've recorded. They are much higher than on monday but it felt much easier today. The odd numbered reps were slightly uphill and the even numbered ones downhill. I did these reps on tarmac (in Tymon) in the racing flats. the idea is to replicate race conditions.

Total for the day: 5.1 miles

WTD: 3 Runs 16.5 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|15/20|115.9
    Total|90/110|831.3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

A tempo is a run with a slow warmup, a fast middle and and a slow warmdown. A 10k tempo might be three slow, five fast, two slow. A 30 min tempo might be 10 slow, 15 fast, five slow.

That's some serious mileage, for the middle of April. If I've half that done, I'd be surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

I would have thought after your success with P&D you'd be following their 5/10k plans?

brownian wrote: »
    A tempo is a run with a slow warmup, a fast middle and and a slow warmdown. A 10k tempo might be three slow, five fast, two slow. A 30 min tempo might be 10 slow, 15 fast, five slow.

That's some serious mileage, for the middle of April. If I've half that done, I'd be surprised!

Yeah, I know what HH Is saying but for me a tempo is X slow, y Fast, X Slow. HH seems to advocate so many differences from fast and slow that I would find it difficult. Besides in his 3rd speed session of the week he prescribes generally 4 or 5 miles 'fast'. He doesn't give a pace but tells you to run at a 'non conversational' pace, for me that is waht I would call a tempo session.

Anyways I think the session I did tonight will be more benificial to a race specific goal.
    mrslow wrote: »
    I would have thought after your success with P&D you'd be following their 5/10k plans?

I don't have their 5/10k plans at hand but I did read it on the train to mallow and I think It only prescribes 1 'hard' session per week? I think I have a good enough base at the moment ot do 2 or 3 hard session per week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hey meno
    Keep me in mind if it ever suits but every Thursday I'm going to be in Marlay doing 1k reps around the same loop we did last time. Started last week and will be there this evening but probably late notice for you.

Woddle wrote: »
    Hey meno
    Keep me in mind if it ever suits but every Thursday I'm going to be in Marlay doing 1k reps around the same loop we did last time. Started last week and will be there this evening but probably late notice for you.

I was actually going to get in touch with you. Planning on doing 5 x 1k reps @5k pace next thursday and was thinking of the marlay loop. What time would suit you best. Can you make 5:45pm?

• Advertisement

3.7 miles @9:10 round the leafy suburbs of Parkwest, Ballyfermot and Cherry Orchard :rolleyes:. Man It was hot out there!!
    Run felt fine, but the Garmin is still showing a highish HR. Either the HRM strp is fooked again or I am still not recovered. The marathon on Saturday with a tipp top would be tough in that heat.

WTD: 4 Runs 20.2 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|16/21|119.6
    Total|91/111|835

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I was actually going to get in touch with you. Planning on doing 5 x 1k reps @5k pace next thursday and was thinking of the marlay loop. What time would suit you best. Can you make 5:45pm?

Perfect.
    Regarding the high HR, in hot weather you can expect to see an increase of up to 7bpm according to Pfitzinger

Woddle wrote: »
    Perfect.
    Regarding the high HR, in hot weather you can expect to see an increase of up to 7bpm according to Pfitzinger

Nice one, 7 beats lower would make it exactly what it should be, also might explain yesterdays 184 readings. The only other time I ever hit 184 was when I puked all over the finish line babanas and drinks in the Parkwest 10k last July, I swear I didn't feel that bad yesterday :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Dont worry you will be grand on saturday. Is it hot out these days but put it out of your mind:D
    BTW what we doing on saturday 7.30 a mile?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Max temperatures for Saturday are forecast to be 13-16C. That's not too warm.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Dont worry you will be grand on saturday. Is it hot out these days but put it out of your mind:D
    BTW what we doing on saturday 7.30 a mile?

No way man, Sub 3 :cool:

Met up with Chinguetti, brian, RQ and Mr Slow. We did about 4 miles before Mr slows VO2 max session (5 x 1k). Myself and Brian did these with Mr Slow at about 6:50 av Pace. This is too slow for Mr Slow as he wasn't even breathing hard during the repeats.

The group got together for another 4 miles at the end so
    10.3 miles. Legs felt really slow and sluggish today and I wasn't feeling great. I know that was due to mostly Hangover and heat but I am starting to question my idea od doing 2 tough interval sessions a week, especially with all the marathon pacing I'll be doing at the weekends. I may have to reduce myself to just 1 interval and one tempo session per week.

WTD: 5 Runs 30.5 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|17/22|129.9
    Total|92/112|845.3

I have it in the breathing but do I have it in the legs?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I have it in the breathing but do I have it in the legs?:rolleyes:

If you have it in the breathing you have it in the legs.
    Over that kind of distance, your legs only go because you can't get enough power to them, because you can't get the air in.

RayCun wrote: »
    If you have it in the breathing you have it in the legs.
    Over that kind of distance, your legs only go because you can't get enough power to them, because you can't get the air in.

I should have put '...' instead of a '?' and referenced the Donore 5k;)

• Advertisement

Saturday: The Marathon was postponed since Eddies Funeral was on Saturday. Drove with RQ and RK to Tipp for the funeral and then onto Tyrone Via Dublin again in the Afternoon.

Sunday A large 3 course sunday dinner was followed by a 2hr Drive to Longford where myself and Oisin were staying with Aimman and his Partner. Another large 3 course was consumed as well as a few cans and off to bed around midnight for a few Hours sleep.

Monday Up at 5am and left the house at 6am for the 1.5 hour drive to Salthill. Pretty werecked and a dodgy stomach from yesterdays double dinners. A group of about 25 had gathered to run a Marathon in tribute to Eddie. Pat O'keefe provided us with Tipp Jerseys and I believe the story was covered on Morning Ireland. Here was us all before the gun:
    223170_10150281663304478_706009477_9483534_4634940_n.jpg

A lot of the crowd ditched the jersey after a lap or two but I wore mine the whole way as it wasn't overly warm. The plan was 9 minute miles in preparation for 4hr pacing in Limerick next weekend. The course was a 4 lap loop from Glaway to Salthill along the promenade on Mostly concrete paths (tough on the old joints). The first few laps were fine but the last 2 was a matter of dodging the public along the Busy public footpaths. Still for €20 the race was great and covered a complimentary buffet lunch, and free showers afterwards, it puts many a race to shame. For anyone interested in running casual marathons, check out the West of Ireland Marathon Seeries

The race itself was pretty uneventful, It was alll pretty comfotable and even paced. I went the first 9 miles with Oisin and Mithril but had a toilet break in a local cafe after a stomach cramp (I blame yesterdays dinners :p) and lost about a minute. I pegged it to catch up but despite 2 miles in the low 8's I wasn't getting any closer- the boys had obviously decided to speed up in my absence. At 11 miles I fell in with Hot to Trot and ran the next 15 with her. We were near the back at this stage but overtook about half the field in the next 15 by not slowing down. With a few miles to go we realised HTT's PB (3:57) was in range so put down the clappers to finish in 3:55:33.
    Well done HTT!

WTD: 1 Run 26.2 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|18/25|129.9
    Total|93/115|871.5[/QUOTE]

As I said on RQ's log, it was a lovely tribute to your friend, well done!

Tonights plan was to meet a group at UCD track for 400m repeats. I was never really going to do much speedwork myself but had been expecting 3 people targetting a sub 50 minute 10k, so I had planned to coach them round a few 400m reps at 7 min/mile.

Anyways none of the 3 turned up* due to varying excuses so it was just me and Brian, we decided that a nice little recovery run would be more in order given yesterdays marathon. So we did a few laps of the pitches, then a few laps of the track.

5.8 miles @ just under 9 min/mile. HR 135. After 2 weeks of being about 10bpm too high, the HR seems to have come back to normal. Maybe running marathons are the perfect recovery tool :confused:

*Claralara eventually turned up 45 minutes late in what must have been her 5th different vehicle of the week. One wonder how big the Lara Family fleet of cars is? :P

WTD: 2 Runs 32 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|19/26|135.7
    Total|94/116|877.3

5.8 miles @ just under 9 min/mile. HR 135. After 2 weeks of being about 10bpm too high, the HR seems to have come back to normal.

There's a temp drop out there too horse!

There's a temp drop out there too horse!

I guess that could be the reason but it was 21c in Barcelona and my Average HR out there for 26.2 @ 7:44 a mile is lower than some of my short recover runs recently (9 min+mile).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 clareman07

great turnout yesterday for Eddie, the jersey we signed is going to Eddies brother Thomas, we will give it to him at the Kildare marathon,
    Pat

clareman07 wrote: »
    great turnout yesterday for Eddie, the jersey we signed is going to Eddies brother Thomas, we will give it to him at the Kildare marathon,
    Pat

Thanks, can you send them on this video as well. there 's a nice tribute to Eddie at the end
    http://vimeo.com/22797764?ab

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

sorry I missed last night, got messed about in work :(

Will deffo make it next week

Wasn't intending to run tonight. I went into Base2Race after work to Buy a 'stick' and saw a guy trying on a pair of Saucony Kinvara's. Due to RQ's bad influence I had been thinking about trying a pair of these myself and you guessed it, half an hour later I left the shop with the new Kinvaras as well as the stick.

Had to try them tonight so went out for a little run:

3.2 miles @ 8.07 pace. Shoes feel nice and light, somewhere between lun ar glides and racers. I can see myself using them for faster tempos and intervals and leaving the racers for races only...

WTD: 3 Runs 35.2 miles

January|28/31|256.3
    February|24/28|236.9
    March|23/31|221.9
    April|20/27|138.9
    Total|95/117|880.5

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I get the blame for feckin' everything. :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement