Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hundred mile week dream.

Options
  • 28-07-2010 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Decided to start keeping the old log here.
    Don't really follow any training plans and don't really have any target races. Just hope to run a few Ultras and a few marathons a year.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    So far this week have done a run on Monday and Tuesday comin out at 10.65 and 7.75 on the Garmin. Just loops around Newbridge in Kildare.
    Will be trying to ramp up the mileage for the next few weeks as I am attempting the Dingle Ultra in Sep.
    Also trying for a sub 80 min at the Adidas 10 mile in Aug.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Decided to start keeping the old log here.
    Don't really follow any training plans and don't really have any target races. Just hope to run a few Ultras and a few marathons a year.
    Any suggestions are welcome.
    So far this week have done a run on Monday and Tuesday comin out at 10.65 and 7.75 on the Garmin. Just loops around Newbridge in Kildare.
    Will be trying to ramp up the mileage for the next few weeks as I am attempting the Dingle Ultra in Sep.
    Also trying for a sub 80 min at the Adidas 10 mile in Aug.

Best advice i can give is when ramping mileage every second day split the run into a double to ease the build up and hopefully avoid the body breaking down. so if you do say 12 miles one day the next should be 6 and 6 all except for your LSR s this is to try and keep the injury risk to a minimum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

12.25 miles for my longish mid week run. 01:56 and averaging 09:27 miles.

Wednesday

A few hills which will be needed having seen the Dingle profile.
    I hope to use this loop as the basis of the weekend long runs. Some back roads but traffic isn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Good luck eddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

So are you aiming to hit 100miles/week, is that the aim?

Not all the time. I wouldn't have the spart time. But in the run up now to Dingle I thought I would give it a shot on one of the weeks at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

How's the recovery from bogtrotters and Parkwest?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What would 100 miles in a week look like?
    15 + 15 + 10 + 10 + 30 + 20?

Best of luck with the log/Dingle. Looking forward to hearing how this one goes, as I'd like to stretch my ultra goal some time, and 50 miles seems like the next logical step after 39.3.

Parkwest was a good recovery run after Bogtrotters.
    Even though I didn't feel good for the first few kay I cam round and was better for the second half. Probably because I gave up on keeping up with Xebec and dropped off his pace slightly. Came in in 48:27 so that was good. Its a PB but I have never really raced the distance before.

For the 100 mile it looks like I will be trying to get there this week as I have been running well enough so far.

10.65 Monday, went out for a shorter run and did double what I intended.
    7.75 Tuesday, Went for run with the brother. A jog basically.
    12.25 Wed, Did one lap of my intended long run for next weekend.

Will do 8 tonight, 6 tomorrow and then 30 and 26 mile long runs at the weekend. That should give me the 100.
    The long runs at the weekend will be done at 10 min mile pace. This would be about 8 1/2 hours for Dingle but I would expect to drop a good bit of time on hills etc there.
    It is a lot easier to run these evenings than it was last Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Maybe Dingle should be your 100 mile week.* Based on your 9:27 min mile it would take you 16+ hours to complete 100 Miles and thats a lot of time on your feet.* That will increase your risk of injury and lengthen your recovery time.

Maybe Dingle should be your 100 mile week.* Based on your 9:27 min mile it would take you 16+ hours to complete 100 Miles and thats a lot of time on your feet.* That will increase your risk of injury and lengthen your recovery time.
    Do you not have a significant taper for an ultra? Wouldn't running 50 miles (broken up into a few training runs) before a 50 mile race not put you at a significant disadvantage?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How many miles a week do you do at the moment, on average?

Good luck with the log always nice to have someone crazier than me around. :P

I am missing your point I think. I won't be running 100 miles in one go. Otherwise I would be off to Connemara.

The two long runs this week will take 6 and 5 hours each at 10min miles. The Dingle week I will only be doing a few 5 mile runs and the weekend before Dingle will be 2 runs less than 10 miles each.
    Three weeks before Dingle I plan a 10k race on the Saturday and a 30 mile plus run on the Sunday. After that the longest run is 15 miles as I taper down.
    If I am to do a 100 mile training week now is the time to do it. If I don't feel good I will bring the mileage down but I am actually feeling quite good this week after the marathon and 10K last week.

How many miles a week do you do at the moment, on average?

Good luck with the log always nice to have someone crazier than me around. :P

I had been quite up and down with the races and I had a stress fracture in Jan but I had been doing 70 + in Jan before the injury.
    Since then I have lost a bit of weight and feel a lot better at the moment so I thought why not one 100 mile week of training?

Do you not have a significant taper for an ultra? Wouldn't running 50 miles (broken up into a few training runs) before a 50 mile race not put you at a significant disadvantage?

Yes it probably would put you at a disadvantage but if the goal is a 100 Mile week I think it would be more sensible to achieve it during the week of the 50 Mile race.
    My Ultra Taper would be more or less the same as you'd do for a Marathon.

I am missing your point I think. I won't be running 100 miles in one go. Otherwise I would be off to Connemara.

Sorry, I probably should have explained what I meant. Was referring to the weekly training time. 16+ hours is a lot of training hours and doesn't leave much time for rest and recovery.

8.25 miles in 1:15. About 9:09 pace so a bit quicker than I thought.
    No real feeling of stiffness or soreness.

Wednesday Run

Getting a bottle of chocolate milk into me directly afterwards and am not feeling the hunger pangs so much then.
    This weeks weekday runs all starting around 8 which is a bit of a drag as the day is then gone. Will be home by 6 next week which will make it a bit easier.

Friday 6 mile

A nice handy run at 9:12 pace. Same route through Roseberry but ran up the main street of Newbridge to finish. And get a bit of shopping done.

Up to 44.9 miles in just under 7 hours for the week so far.
    Long runs ahead for the next two days. The most difficult thing will be getting up to do them. As usual.

Saturday Run 30.1 Miles

Alarm in phone went off at 5:30 am. I had cleverly placed the phone at the other end of the bedroom beside the door so that I would have to get up to turn the alarm off.
    I had also, not so cleverly, plugged the phone into the charger; the other end of which was plugged in to the socket beside the bed. So I hauled the phone over to the bed and turned the alarm off.
    I eventually rose at 6:30 and got ready for the run. Can of red bull, banana, tea and I am ready for the off.
    The weather was ideal for a run with no sun and overcast conditions. I secreted a bottle of water inside my brothers house wall and was on my way. I had a long loop of just over 11 miles and had a bottle of water at a Mace shop after about 7 of those miles. I also had a packet of Lucozade orange glucose tablets and 5 Hi 5 Gels.
    The last 5 miles were the most difficult. I ran up to 26.22 miles apart from the water buying stops at shops and glugging outside the brothers house.
    For the last 3 miles I was just running around Newbridge to make up the 30 miles. I think if I had a definite path to follow it would have helped.

Still it went about as well as I expected. Hopefully I will be able to get up earlier in the morning and achieve the target distance for the week.

Good running, well done. Was funny about reeling in the phone to switch it off.

Sunay 25 miles run

Well I didn't get up early. Actually walked across room at 5:30, turned off alarm and went back to beD. At 6:30 looked at clock and tought, give it another 5 min. Next time I looked at clock it was 7:30.

Finally out running just after 8. No Red bull today but had 3 hi5 gels and the trusty lucozade orange tablets.
    Did my long 11.2 loop of Roseberry and Newbridge without any problems and then threw in a short loop of Roseberry to bring me up to the 15 mark.

Decided to run out and back to the Curragh to complete the run. Didn't feel great for miles 15-18 but felt absolutely awful for miles 19 and 20. Was out in the grass of the Curragh at this stage and the 2 miles I did there bought me back to life. It is a beautiful place to run on a day like today. Once you have master the technique of dodging the sheep ****e anyway.

Last 3 miles were grand apart from the last where a car pulling out of a drive nearly mowed me down. But managed to do the last mile as the quickest mile so happy enough with the run.
    Well that is 100 miles in one week. What can I target next?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

. What can I target next?

200 miles a week:D.........................well done

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good work Eddie. Wish I wasn't so lazy so I could give a 100 mile week a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

There are easier and more sensible ways to run 100 mile weeks without running a 30 miler and a 25 milers two days in a row, but since you are running a ultra I will leave you to your own devices. Good luck

There are easier and more sensible ways to run 100 mile weeks without running a 30 miler and a 25 milers two days in a row, but since you are running a ultra I will leave you to your own devices. Good luck

Ah sure I know that it wasn't the most sensible way to go about it but I was due a few long runs back to back.
    The drinks during the football yesterday did more damage than any of the runs.

ultraman1 wrote: »
    200 miles a week:D.........................well done
    Maybe not and thanks.
    I think I will target getting 20 miles a week running in the Vibrams. It means cycling out to the Curragh to get the runs done but thats okay too. Nice bit of cross training.

Well done on the 100Mile week, That should set you up nicely for Dingle alright!

Well done sarsfieldsrock. You're one tough cookie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Yeah well done eddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Fair play! Great to see you keeping a log here, gonna be interesting reading over the next few weeks...

• Advertisement

From one extreme to the other. Took yesterday off as a rest day and went for a run this evening. Only intending to do 5 or 6 but had to call into the brothers to help him put a flat packed computer desk together.
    Thought the desk would take half an hour tops.
    Two and a half hour later, 2 rows and 3 mugs of tae later the desk was complete ( with two bits left that didn't seem to fit anywhere) and I was being offered some wild berry pie with cream by his better half.

So todays total is 1 mile in 9:05.

Advertisement