Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Cheers for the company today lads. Getting back into it was a bit harder then I thought, but I'll be sorted in a couple of weeks. Plenty of time before Connemara. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

17.6 miles at 9:35 pace. HR 135. Garmin connect seems to be down, will put up the link later.
    Felt sluggish from the off today. Legs were very heavy. There was a big group out this afternoon but most left at 10 miles. Claralara stayed with myself and RK for another 2 and a bit miles but me and RK did the last 5.5 alone. Got to be a struggle up the glenn rd but we picked it upagain in the home straight.

End of a monumental week. Back to work tomorrow so next week will be much lighter. I'll probably take a few rest days. The Waterford half will also cut the mileage down for next week so I should drop down to 50 or less again.

Anyway:

Weekly total: 7 runs, 70.1 Miles

MTD 9 runs 93.1 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

menoscemo wrote: »
    17.6 miles at 9:35 pace. HR 135. Garmin connect seems to be down, will put up the link later.
    Felt sluggish from the off today. Legs were very heavy. There was a big group out this afternoon but most left at 10 miles. Claralara stayed with myself and RK for another 2 and a bit miles but me and RK did the last 5.5 alone. Got to be a struggle up the glenn rd but we picked it upagain in the home straight.

End of a monumental week. Back to work tomorrow so next week will be much lighter. I'll probably take a few rest days. The Waterford half will also cut the mileage down for next week so I should drop down to 50 or less again.

Anyway:

Weekly total: 7 runs, 70.1 Miles

MTD 9 runs 93.1 miles

Hmmm, you seem to be serious about the sub 6 hour for the ultra in Connemara. If I wasn't so blase about money I might be worried about the bet now.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Hmmm, you seem to be serious about the sub 6 hour for the ultra in Connemara. If I wasn't so blase about money I might be worried about the bet now.:(

Oh he's serious alright! Stubborn mite!

6 miles at 9:20 pace. Only wore one layer tonight so was expecting the HRM to be working. However I appear to be in the VO2 max zone (170+) for the first 3 miles :rolleyes:. Last 3 miles at around 133bpm which is probably about right.

Feet a little sore tonight. Due a rest day soon I think.
    Bad news is that I am only looking 50-50 for waterford now (due to work). WI will have to make a last minute decision.

MTD 10 runs 99.1 miles
    WTD 1 Run 6 miles

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yesterday was the first time since Christmas that I started feeling jealous of all the miles you're doing. I'm finally better. :pac:

Yesterday was the first time since Christmas that I started feeling jealous of all the miles you're doing. I'm finally better. :pac:

That's good news.:pac:

The legs have been feeling like led after all the heavy mileage. That said, I had planned an interval session with Clara Lara and Aimman in UCD so I went along anyway in two minds about whether or not to do the planned 6 x 800m (unsure if the legs could take much punishment).
    I decided to do 1200m to their 800m with about 30 seconds rest instead of 2+ minutes (i.e. do another lap while their resting) but to do the intervals a much slower - at 7 min/mile or planned HMP instead of 800s @ 6 min/mile.

This was all going according to plan until mithril turned up. He was just doing a continual run and said he was going around 7 min/mile pace, so i just decided to go along with him and ditch the intervals. I was running off his Garmin which he said indicated about a 7 min/mile pace until he realised he had it switched off :pac: hence a few slower miles in the middle. I took a lap off about twice during the run but in the end ran 5 miles at in and around HMP:
    7:07 (161), 7:09 (163), 7:18 (161), 6:57 (160), 6:55 (166).

The HR data seems to still be quite inaccurate with lots of peaks and troughs. In my warm up mile (9:30 pace) it has me at a 170 av :pac:. I would like to run the HM off HR as I think I could hold about a 166 av for the race, but I have no faith in the readings at the moment, so I plan to just go out at 7 min/mile and see how long I can hold it. I have a feeling that all the miles in recent weeks might get to me though as the legs are very tired at the moment. In the interests of giving myself a decent shot I'll take tomorrow off running and end my running streak at 14 days. I'll do a few short easy runs on thusday and friday.

p.s I got the all clear in work to run the race on saturday.

Anyway tonights summary: 7.3 miles @ 7:46 av pace

MTD 11 runs 106.4 miles
    WTD 2 Run 13.3 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Dont mind that streak **** mate. Quality running over useless miles. Your not the only one feeling the strain with the milage but it will all be over soon:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Your not the only one feeling the strain with the milage but it will all be over soon:D

Yeah, in three months :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'm not surprised the legs feel heavy.....

Miss one day running and you get relegated to Page 4 :eek:

6.5 miles tonight very easy/ recovery round Tymon park. Pace 8:50. HR c.140ish (if you discount the silly readings for the first 20 minutes :rolleyes:).

Nothing much to report. not sure if the legs were happy with the day off or not. Another easy run tomorrow ahead of the HM on saturday.

MTD 12 runs 112.9 miles
    WTD 3 Run 19.8 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good hunting on Saturday, stay behind a tall guy when you're running into the wind. You still on for Sunday at 1 in the Park?

chinguetti wrote: »
    Good hunting on Saturday, stay behind a tall guy when you're running into the wind. You still on for Sunday at 1 in the Park?

I have been thinking of drafting for sure, then opening the sails on the way home!!. Will be a strange race I think. I can't imagine the pace being too good on the first half.

Yep I'll be up sunday for 10 miles anyway (maybe a few more).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Best of luck for the half big man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck with the half, meno. Is this an 'A' or a training run ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck tomorrow. I'll keep an eye out for you

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Good luck with the half, meno. Is this an 'A' or a training run ?

Can't say it's an 'A' run, given that I have had my highest ever mileage last week and no taper this week. Everything I have been doing since Christmas is really geared towards the Conn ultra (hence all the long slow miles) so that is really the only 'A' goal at the moment. That said I want to give it a good shot and expect a PB (mainly because my old one is soft :pac:) and with that in mind I haven't done anything taxing since tuesday evening. I am feeling a few niggles in various places (feet, knee, ankle, back) but nothing to worry about much :P.

Anyway Tonight: 4.9 miles Very easy along the canal pathway. Just a leg loosener for tomorrow.

MTD 13 runs 117.8 miles
    WTD 4 Runs 24.7 miles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Can't say it's an 'A' run, given that I have had my highest ever mileage last week and no taper this week. Everything I have been doing since Christmas is really geared towards the Conn ultra (hence all the long slow miles) so that is really the only 'A' goal at the moment. That said I want to give it a good shot and expect a PB (mainly because my old one is soft :pac:) and with that in mind I haven't done anything taxing since tuesday evening. I am feeling a few niggles in various places (feet, knee, ankle, back) but nothing to worry about much :P.

Anyway Tonight: 4.9 miles Very easy along the canal pathway. Just a leg loosener for tomorrow.

MTD 13 runs 117.8 miles
    WTD 4 Runs 24.7 miles

PB all day long for you based on the work you've put in....Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Good luck with the half Meno, hope it's a good one. I'll be doing the Aware 10k instead, just hoping to finish without making a show of myself:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

See you at the start line and hopefully the finish line in a decent time. Best of luck tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Good luck tomorrow menopause;)

Good luck today. Go for the PB and we expect a thrilling race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Well done on todays time - good run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Well done 1:31 and some change is a fantastic time especially given the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

18.1 miles At 8:42 Av. HR messed up, it says Av 156 but I'm guessing mid 140's, (if you look at the graph on the garmin readout, it looks like I'm having a cariac arrest :pac:)

Nice group run in the park. Myself Aimman and Jackyback. We did the first 8 in just over 9 min/mile then Aimman left us and Myslef and Jackyback did the last 10 together in waht looks like just under 8:30/mile. Legs feel surprisingly fine after this, they seem to be getting used to it. Another 18 planned for tomorrow but quite a bit slower.

WTD 6 runs 52.5 miles
    MTD 8 runs 75.5 miles

11 day running streak. Just broke my record!
    Hi There Meno,
    As you can see I'm new to Boards. Live outside Ireland so can't link up for runs or races. My profile is I've done a few half M's (fastest 1.28) and am going for first full in April in Rotterdam. Don't know what age you are - I'm 45 - but the one thing that stands out from the log that I'd personally change is the HRM thing. Unless you're genuinely worried about killing yourself, why bother?? To each his and her own of course, but I can't help thinking it stops people from running naturally. When you're feeling good, go for it. When you're feeling rough, take it easy. How did Waterford go?? Bit windy, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

mrslow wrote: »
    Well done 1:31 and some change is a fantastic time especially given the conditions.
    Good stuff in the conditions. Is that a PB?

You should be going for about 3.15 marathon, would that be right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Itziger wrote: »
    Good stuff in the conditions. Is that a PB?

You should be going for about 3.15 marathon, would that be right?

3.15 sounds right. Phenomanal running, well done mate.

Well done on the run. Brilliant run in what were very testing conditions.
    I hear you were promising all sorts times in Connemara in the pub afterwards. Any new bets made that you can remember?

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    Hi There Meno,
    As you can see I'm new to Boards. Live outside Ireland so can't link up for runs or races. My profile is I've done a few half M's (fastest 1.28) and am going for first full in April in Rotterdam. Don't know what age you are - I'm 45 - but the one thing that stands out from the log that I'd personally change is the HRM thing. Unless you're genuinely worried about killing yourself, why bother?? To each his and her own of course, but I can't help thinking it stops people from running naturally. When you're feeling good, go for it. When you're feeling rough, take it easy. How did Waterford go?? Bit windy, no?

Yep the HRM served it's purpose for a while. It allowed me to see when I was not putting in enough effort/putting in too much, It hasn't been working properly for about 6 months now so I don't see the data till after the run, at this stage I am well able to run by feel though so I don't miss it at all.
    Today I hadn't got the HRM switched to show up on the garmin so I was unaware the whole way round, anyway it fell down to hip level after 1 mile so I don't even know what HR I was running to....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement