Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

16.093 kmph to be exact. Waterford is a no go for me, too dodgy/expensive/awkward etc. My dads over the wknd after too. Dungarvan 10 or Raheny 5 deffo. Barcelona couldbemy next A/R/T drinking session imagine that. :eek:

90 seconds for 400m on a track is dead easy. 16.1kph on a treadmill seems too hard. I have a fear of running really hard on a treadmill it seems.

I am not even sure about waterford myself now. I am not going to be aggressive as I would have liked my training has been awful, very little quality and not enough miles. Half of me is hoping it gets cancelled. I'll go down if I get a free lift from Aimman though :pac:

Did nothing yesterday as I was away on a christmas work trip for the day to Brussels, though I guess you can count 40 minutes ice-skating as cross training.

Today I hit the gym again and did a kind of mini tempo. After a 10 min warm up at 11 kph, I upped the pace by 0.5 kph every 5 minutes and peaked at about 10 minutes at 13.5kph. I have to say this speed was a struggle I fell like my form goes to **** on a treadmill, I even somehow feel like I'm heel striking. I intended a bit of a cool down but was too bored at this stage and cut it short at 6 miles in just over 45 minutes.

Hoping the thaw kicks in tomorrow. I should get out for a run along the local roads as there's not much traffic on them at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

menoscemo wrote: »
    Half of me is hoping it gets cancelled. I'll go down if I get a free lift from Aimman though :pac:

You're more then welcome to come down with me, but according to other threads, its confirmed postponed till 18th December, but I'll be away that day, I wont be able to make it. hope there are refunds. :(

**Edit, actually, its now 15th January, should be able to make it, **

Aimman wrote: »
    You're more then welcome to come down with me, but according to other threads, its confirmed postponed till 18th December, but I'll be away that day, I wont be able to make it. hope there are refunds. :(

**Edit, actually, its now 15th January, should be able to make it, **

Yep, great date. I'll definately be up for it then. It will fit perfectly into training.

Tonight I got back onto tarmac for the first time in weeks. I just did a quick lap of the industrial estate to check out the roads. Still Icy in places but there are clear paths through the icy patches where the cars have been going through. Great to have the sensation of solid ground beneath me, the pace was well up as a result with very little effort. This kind of pace is so much easier on the road than the dreadmill.

3.5 miles @ 8 min/mile.

5.1 miles easy tonight over the roads of the industrial estate. Pace 8:36.
    Quite boring surroundings. Just the fear off seeing Joyriders speeding towards me and the constant looout for ice ahead to keep me interested. Looking forward to the group run tomorrow.

• Advertisement

14 miles in the park with Digijem, RK and Clara Lara. Pace 9:50. Park is still a bit icy in places but passable. We managed to avoid rough patches for 10 miles until I inadvertenly led the group though a 1 mile muddy cross country trail just to escape stepping in a big puddle. By the end of that our feet were so wet that we were more than happy to trudge through all other icy puddles.

First decent long run since DCM, nice to do it in a group again. Hopefully I can get about 10 i tomorrow with the hangover, have to start knocking out back to back long runs. Connemara is only 16 weeks away :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Cheers for the navigation-ing today! Really enjoyed it. Enjoy your pints :D

10 miles at just over 9 min/mile. I had hoped to go a bit quicker tonight but the canal path I had planned running on was still treacherous and I nearly went on my ear as soon as I went on it. I has to get straight off and do laps of the industrial estate which still had black Ice all over it. I ended up having to run straight up the centre line of the road in many spots. Pleasantly surprised to stick out the run and complete the 10 as planned with the hangover. i had many opportunities and excuses to turn around, but I was anoying listening to the radio. Just got home, stretched and did 3 x 36 pressups so I think I deserve my chinese now :pac:

Anyway 6 runs 46.1 miles for the week

Not bad I suppose. I hope the weather forecsts are wrong though and it doesn't freeze up again next week. It was bad enough as it was this evening.

The track session was back tonight, thank god I didn't have to do this on the treadmill again. I went way faster than I ever could on a treadmill anyway and it felt way more comfortably. Met up with RK and Clara Lara and then Mithril. We did a 1.5 mile warm up at 9:10 pace then 10x 400m: 86, 87, 85, 85, 84, 83, 84, 83, 83, 83. Avergaing about 5:40 pace for the laps overall and about 5:30 for the last 4 or 5. Quite happy with that, it seemed to take much less out of me than the last time and I held the pace much more consistently than the last time (went out chasing Brian then died :pac:). 1 mile warm down at just over 9 min/mile pace.

Wore the HRM for the first time in months mst of the reps maxed out at about 175 though I got up as high as 178 for the last one.

Overall 5 miles in 38:30 (7:44 av Pace)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Jaybus...With all the mileage it's just as well you cleared TK Maxx out of all those cheap LunarGlides ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Jaybus...With all the mileage it's just as well you cleared TK Maxx out of all those cheap LunarGlides ;)

No it's perfect training for Barca because by the time I get over the finish line, RK and meno will have a comfy section hogged in the pub and about 5 rounds waiting for me. So all I say is keep up the good work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Im the oppisite with intervals. Find the faster stuff easier. Have it upto 5x1k at 16.5kph at the moment, doubt id do that outdoors but havnt tried a track yet. Find thd the longer stuff on a treadmill an absolute nightmare, did 35km on 1 last year and fainted when i finished.

shazkea wrote: »
    No it's perfect training for Barca because by the time I get over the finish line, RK and meno will have a comfy section hogged in the pub and about 5 rounds waiting for me. So all I say is keep up the good work :D

Haha, no I'll just be taking Barcelona easy as a raining run for the Conn Ultra, my training is really focused on that and Barclona will just be the last really long training run before conn. I'll be offering to act as a 4 hour pacer on the day :pac:

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Im the oppisite with intervals. Find the faster stuff easier. Have it upto 5x1k at 16.5kph at the moment, doubt id do that outdoors but havnt tried a track yet. Find thd the longer stuff on a treadmill an absolute nightmare, did 35km on 1 last year and fainted when i finished.

Short or long, fast or slow, I hate the treadmill with a passion.

6.6 miles in 56 minutes. Av pace 8:26. The ice was finally clear on al the paths tonight so I decided to run at 'easy' pace rather then recovery for a change. At 1.5 miles I hit the canal path as I had decided to do do a few twmpo miles along there, but surprisingly it was still covered in sheets of ice and I had to spend my time dancing around the slippy patches while fearing falling into the canal. The planned tempo miles turned out to be my two slowest as a result so I abondoned the canal paths for the footpath again and headed back for home. All in All a pleasant run.

HRM seems to be back to some kind of working order. Barring the first 15 minutes of the run where it has me jumping between 180 and 130 BPM, I seem to average out at around 144 for the session. Happy with that as it would indicate something appproaching marathon fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

The planned tempo miles turned out to be my two slowest as a result so I abondoned the canal paths for the footpath again and headed back for home. All in All a pleasant run.

Tempo miles the night after track intervals? you must be mad. You'd want at least 3 days between hard efforts like that, as it says in P&D.

Tempo miles the night after track intervals? you must be mad. You'd want at least 3 days between hard efforts like that, as it says in P&D.

Haha, maybe, but I was feeling fresh tonight and was ony thinking of doing 2. I'll do a few tempo miles tomorrow instead. Probably 2 x 2 miles at 7 min pace- nothing too taxxing. I just feel like I am severely lacking any quality miles recently.

Brian, Meno...Thinking of investing in a 'book' for the new year....would you lads suggest P&D or JD ?

Brian, Meno...Thinking of investing in a 'book' for the new year....would you lads suggest P&D or JD ?

Don't know much about JD. I have read P&D and used their plan for DCM (It worked). It certainly helped me in getting an understanding of the whole science of and theory behind long distance running plans. I would highly recommend it. Downside is it is really geared to wards marathon running- no HM/10k plans etc.

I'm sure JD is very good aswell. I have heard his plans are very intense though they take in much more than just marathons...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I'd say books like Running is Easy and Lore of running are better.

Also if you have the time (i mean a lot of time) read this thread, its by far the best thread written on running, Tinman is Jack Daniels afaik. A few other big coaches are on it too.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=458338

• Advertisement

Don't know much about JD. I have read P&D and used their plan for DCM (It worked). It certainly helped me in getting an understanding of the whole science of and theory behind long distance running plans. I would highly recommend it. Downside is it is really geared to wards marathon running- no HM/10k plans etc.

I'm sure JD is very good aswell. I have heard his plans are very intense though they take in much more than just marathons...
    I'd say books like Running is Easy and Lore of running are better.

Also if you have the time (i mean a lot of time) read this thread, its by far the best thread written on running, Tinman is Jack Daniels afaik. A few other big coaches are on it too.

http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=458338

Will do further research, thanks lads!

6.5 miles tonight Pace 8:44, HR 144. I went to tymon this evening with the headtorch and expected to get a few tempo miles done. I was surprised to find there was still ice everywhere even in places where it looked like there was none. As of a result the first lap was ridiculously slow and I couldn't really find a good stretch to get any speedier work done. I just did a second lap a bit faster, avoiding where I now knew thre to be slippier bits and managed the last 3 miles a bit quicker but not quite tempo pace 7:58, 7:36, 7:37. Still The HR was in the low 150's for those faster miles which is a good enough sign.

I was the only runner in the park tonight which felt strange. I have to say I felt a bit mad and with my 3 layers, 2 pairs of Gloves, hat and headtorch I probably looked like a bit of a loony. The temperature is already down to 0 and I fear there is a chance of not being able to get my long runs done at the weekend if the weather forecasts are anything to go by. I guess that is why it was important to get a decent run in tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I was the only runner in the park tonight which felt strange. I have to say I felt a bit mad and with my 3 layers, 2 pairs of Gloves, hat and headtorch I probably looked like a bit of a loony.

I saw some runners yesterday evening out in shorts - they're the crazy-looking ones!

RayCun wrote: »
    I saw some runners yesterday evening out in shorts - they're the crazy-looking ones!

Those layers were all up top. I was wearing shorts :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

2 pairs of gloves, hat, three layers, headtorch, and shorts?
    Yes, you were right about the loony thing :D

4 miles recovery at 9 min/mile pace. Got out after work just after a thin new layer of snow had fallen. I have to say conditions were lovely tonight. Clean crisp air and no hint of sliping on the fresh snow (just wore normal trainers).

I had my YaxTrax finally delivered today aftr a 2 week wait. Might get to use them tonorrow if there are significant snow falls tonight.

Clean crisp air and no hint of sliping on the fresh snow (just wore normal trainers).

I had my YaxTrax finally delivered today aftr a 2 week wait. Might get to use them tonorrow if there are significant snow falls tonight.

Should be an interesting run in the morning alright...See you at 10

Should be an interesting run in the morning alright...See you at 10

When the snow is fresh, it is lovely to run in, even without any equipment, but i'd love to get a chance to christen my new toy. Either way I'd say it will be lovely tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

If the weather does misbehave tonight will I die in my regular old road runners?

Edit: oops didn't see your last post there. Dying is probably an exaggeration!

• Advertisement

16 miles @ 8:33 pace. Av HR 147.
    A 6am call from a colleague meant I had to work today and miss the group run this morning. I ended up getting to the phoenix park at 2.30pm and the sun was shining with little wind. Very pleasant even though the temperature was 0c. I headed out with just a hat and a thin pair of pennys gloves, a pair of tights and a tshirt over my under armour top. I planned to do a 12ish mile loop and stop at the car after 12 miles as the sun was going down for an extra jacket and gloves and a sip of water. Headed out on the run and was going way faster than the planned 9min/mile pace. By 12 miles it was getting cold but i wasn't thirsty so I headed on regardless. Ended up getting froze to death. By the time I got back to the car I wouldn't feel my hands or face and had real trouble finding my car key and/or open it. When I did the car thermometer revealed an outside temperature of -4c :eek:.

Still an enjoyable run. Didn't feel tired at any point, in fact my last mile was my fastest (8:10). The pace and HR were remarkably consistent throughout the run. I don't think I've ever had a garmin readout with a pace line so straight.

Hoping to get 12 more in tomorrow with Oisin and Ral3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement