Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

chinguetti wrote: »
    (Leeds players are all hard working, solid folk who shall beat snood wearing Gunners;))

Where's the dislike button?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

xebec wrote: »
    Where's the dislike button?

Out there with the Gunners' chances of winning the Premiership :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Out there with the Gunners' chances of winning the Premiership :pac:

Obvious troll... Post reported :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Arsenal have a habit of not winning when they should, therefore one should back the underdog or a draw when they play the leeds/wigan/stoke sides of this world.

Tis just something i've noticed in the world of gambling xebec.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

chinguetti wrote: »
    Arsenal have a habit of not winning when they should, therefore one should back the underdog or a draw when they play the leeds/wigan/stoke sides of this world.

Tis just something i've noticed in the world of gambling xebec.

Given the way I'm told we played tonight we'll get hammered. Our defence is woeful. Cardiff were the last team to beat us way back on DCM day and they hammered us again tonight. Hope it is just that they're our bogey team more so than the players having their minds on the Arsenal game. We've been brutal over Christmas.

*hopes xebec doesn't see this post*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

6 x800m with 2ish minute rests at UCD track this eveneing with RK. Usual easy mile warm up then slipped into the new Brooks cross country spikes for the track stuff.

00610002_main_m.jpg

I have to say I found them great. I was a bit worried because they are very minimalist to say the least (no heel at all) and technically they are a XC spike but the girl selling me them says most people use them for both.

Anyway I did the intervals in the following: (Max HR in Brackets, av HR for the intervals was generally 160-165)
    3:08 (173), 3:01 (176), 3:01 (176), 3:03 (174), 3:06 (173), 3:00 (178)

Overall 5.5 Miles @ 7:48 pace (147)

I found this session much easier than the 10 x 400m I was doing before.

MTD: 5 runs, 46 miles

Are they the brooks mach? I was debating between them and the saucony kilkenny ones when It was getting mine, went with saucony in the end. How did you find the brooks? Both pairs have quite good reviews and are both very lightweight according the the reviews.

Are they the brooks mach? I was debating between them and the saucony kilkenny ones when It was getting mine, went with saucony in the end. How did you find the brooks? Both pairs have quite good reviews and are both very lightweight according the the reviews.

Yep, they're the brooks Mach 12. I was reading a few reviews after I got them and saw the spikeless version is highly rated as a minimalist shoe by those who like that kind of thing. They felt great and most of all they look cool :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    Yep, they're the brooks Mach 12. I was reading a few reviews after I got them and saw the spikeless version is highly rated as a minimalist shoe by those who like that kind of thing. They felt great and most of all they look cool :cool:

Now, they look the biz :cool:

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Now, they look the biz :cool:

Wonder what they would look like after a few XC races :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

6 x800m with 2ish minute rests at UCD track this eveneing with RK. Usual easy mile warm up then slipped into the new Brooks cross country spikes for the track stuff.

Anyway I did the intervals in the following: (Max HR in Brackets, av HR for the intervals was generally 160-165)
    3:08 (173), 3:01 (176), 3:01 (176), 3:03 (174), 3:06 (173), 3:00 (178)

Overall 5.5 Miles @ 7:48 pace (147)

I found this session much easier than the 10 x 400m I was doing before.

MTD: 5 runs, 46 miles

Good session there...no way I would have survived that without throwing up!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

claralara wrote: »

You would have been fine at my pace, I was more like 3:50 for each interval!

claralara wrote: »

You would have been fine. It is not as intense as the 400's, though I did have a little battle with my 'Central Governer' at the end of the 3rd rep. But once I twisted his arm into letting me do another 3 it was actually fine :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

You would have been fine at my pace, I was more like 3:50 for each interval!
    You would have been fine. It is not as intense as the 400's, though I did have a little battle with my 'Central Governer' at the end of the 3rd rep. But once I twisted his arm into letting me do another 3 it was actually fine :pac:

Maybe next week so. Interesting theory - I need to reset the rules and margins of my CG big time!

6.5 miles around Tymon with Aimman. Pace 9:11, Av hr 144 (I know this to be wrong due to the easy pace and continual spikes on the garmin read out to 170+ HR for no good reason, however I think I have pinpointed the cause of the dodgy readings to wearing of my adidas running jacket).

WTD 4 runs 29.5 miles
    MTD 6 runs 52.5 miles

9 Day running streak. Hope to smash my 11 day streak by sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

6.5 miles around Tymon with Aimman. Pace 9:11, Av hr 144 (I know this to be wrong due to the easy pace and continual spikes on the garmin read out to 170+ HR for no good reason, however I think I have pinpointed the cause of the dodgy readings to wearing of my adidas running jacket).

WTD 4 runs 29.5 miles
    MTD 6 runs 52.5 miles

9 Day running streak. Hope to smash my 11 day streak by sunday.

I have been having the same issues with my HRM seems to act up when i am wearing a few layers. Some good mileage going on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Just catching up on your log - jeez you're in flying form :)

Thanks Shaz and Jacky. I have to say I am still off work this week so that is helping no end in getting the miles in. 10 hours slep seems to be allowing me to recover :pac:

I had said I was hoping to get over 60 miles this week but all going to plan (*touches wood*) I should get closer to 70 :eek:

Be careful. You're in flying form but don't push it too much too fast, you know that. Last thing you want is to be hit with OTS.

Be careful. You're in flying form but don't push it too much too fast, you know that. Last thing you want is to be hit with OTS.

Definately not going too fast, most runs (like tonight) are recovery pace or slower. Feeling fresh in the mornings afternoons all this week due to loads of sleep/no alarm.

I have to make hay while the sun shines. Back to work next week so I'll probably be back to 5/6 days running a week. I might not do the full 18 on sunday either, I'll see how I feel after 10 but I suspect that the pace will be slow enough that I can carry on.

• Advertisement

I mean bringing the mileage up too fast. Make sure you're getting the extra bit of nutrients etc too. Going from 50 mile weeks to 70 mile weeks is a pretty massive step. You know all that like but I'd be concerned about overtraining.

I mean bringing the mileage up too fast. Make sure you're getting the extra bit of nutrients etc too. Going from 50 mile weeks to 70 mile weeks is a pretty massive step. You know all that like but I'd be concerned about overtraining.

Yep I know, I am conscious/a little paranoid about of any little niggle. But so far so good. Gonna tread carefully at the weekend. I did 56 last week BTW and will no doubt be back down to 50 or less next week (waterford half and all). I'd say I'll be normally doing 60 mpw in the build up to Conn but this last 10 days is a bit of an exception given that I have no work.

Beer and Chocolate Ice Cream count as nutrients right? :pac:;)

Just a short jaunt today to give the legs a bit more recover ahead of the weekends double Long Runs

4.9 miles @ 9:02 pace.

Was a little sweaty on this for some strange reason (was freezing outside). Hope I am not coming down with something...
    WTD 5 runs 34.4 miles
    MTD 7 runs 57.4 miles

18.1 miles At 8:42 Av. HR messed up, it says Av 156 but I'm guessing mid 140's, (if you look at the graph on the garmin readout, it looks like I'm having a cariac arrest :pac:)

Nice group run in the park. Myself Aimman and Jackyback. We did the first 8 in just over 9 min/mile then Aimman left us and Myslef and Jackyback did the last 10 together in waht looks like just under 8:30/mile. Legs feel surprisingly fine after this, they seem to be getting used to it. Another 18 planned for tomorrow but quite a bit slower.

WTD 6 runs 52.5 miles
    MTD 8 runs 75.5 miles

11 day running streak. Just broke my record!

Good run today Meno really enjoyed it and legs feel all good after so result. Enjoy your other long one tomorrow:p

Good run today Meno really enjoyed it and legs feel all good after so result. Enjoy your other long one tomorrow:p

Thanks man, enjoyed it too. Might have a few beers tonight and realx. tomorrow's run is not until 1pm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Beer and Chocolate Ice Cream count as nutrients right? :pac:;)

Jebas, I hope so or I'm fupped ;)

That's great running btw, was considering joining you but am aware of the mileage hike I've taken so happy to do the slower one with rk in Tymon so as not to push it too much yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Brilliant week so far Meno, Barca will be a doddle for you if you keep it up :) Fair play.

racheljev wrote: »
    Brilliant week so far Meno, Barca will be a doddle for you if you keep it up :) Fair play.

Thanks Rachel. Barca is not really a priority, I am just going to be running it as a training run and won't be trying for any PBs (especially as I have a 50k race a week before!!).

So if you're up for a few beers the night before the marathon Im your man :pac:

• Advertisement

Thanks man, enjoyed it too. Might have a few beers tonight and realx. tomorrow's run is not until 1pm!

Tut Tut;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement