Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Well done Meno cracking run today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great running Meno. Nice to meet you today, although I recognised you from previous outings. Well Done again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I Got picked up early by Aimman and headed down with himself and RK. It was interesting travelling down as we listened to the marathon talk podcast with Tim noakes about the 'central governor'. Most of his interview was talking about running to a set goal and how your governor (brain) allows you to push your body only so far and no more. Little did I know I would be asking a lot from my central governor today. My initial plan was to run 1:32 but we were facing the first 7 miles into a gale force wind, so I had reduced my goal to sub 1:35. Still and all 1:32 was in the back of my head.

After changing and spending a nervous hour in Aimman's car I headed out for a 1 mile jog/ warm up before positioning myself at the start line just behind the 1:30 pacers. I was wearing just a singlet, short shorts and racing flats (lunar racers- first time running more than 10 miles in those). Most were wearing 2/3 layers but I realised that since I was going to get soaked anyway, I may as well be wearing as little as possible!

Mile 1: 6:53. We were running in the town and yet to face the wind. Nice and easy. I let the 1:30 pacers drift away but not too far. Very comfortable. I was surprised this mile was so quick… miles 2-4 7:02, 7:01, and 7:14. We turned into the tramore road and faced a gale force wind. I had been prepared before the race to drop to 7:20/mile on mile 2-7. I was surprised that this speed seemed so easy. I was sitting at the back of a group of about 15 runners so I was getting plenty of shelter.
    Mile 5: 7:02, strange mile. I hadn’t realised my group had split in two. There was a water stop at the beginning of the mile and I lost about 5 seconds, as I had to stop to get a bottle I sprinted back to the back of my group but spotted about 8 guys had pulled 20 yards away so I just kept going until I caught the back of them. I was never to see the people I left behind again. At this point I saw the 1:30 pacers no more than 20 seconds ahead and was quite surprised.

Mile 6-7 (7:15, 7:05). We turned off the main rd and onto a side rd where we were faced by driving rain (straight into the face) and nice hill to boot. I stuck to the pack as the group decimated. By mile 7 there were only 3 of us left. One was a fellow boardsie (Ronnie 085) I had a chat with him. I told myself ‘get through this and it is all downhill/downwind).

Mile 8 6:41 (my fastest mile), we turned downhill back to the main road at which point I dropped my group completely. Felt sorry for the poor guy who had been sheltering me for most of the previous hour I went from feeling dead to feeling fresh.

Miles 9-10 (6:58, 7:00), cruising. Very little position changing from here on. Most people seem to have burnt out on the first half. I went thru mile 10 in 70:10. I just have to hold 7 min/mile to break 1:32 and the wind is at my back. This should be easy…..

Miles 11 +12 (6:53, 7:05). The wind is pushing me on. There is not much left in the legs, would love a gel but I am not carrying anything….

Mile 13, out on my feet. I was not happy that they sent us up on footpaths as we headed back to the stadium. Jumping up and down on paths is not fun at this stage. I fell like my legs will give way. Still 7:02, happy with that. We hit the stadium and I ran for home along the track (6:40 pace for the last bit). I’d say I could have gone about one more lap but no more.

Summary 13.1 miles in 1:31:47 (PB by 5 minutes 30 seconds). Delighted with the result. More than I could have hoped for. The slow steady miles seem to be paying off. I will consider carrying a gel at my next HM.

Nice to meet, Jackyback, JCS Mum, Sosa, Village runner, Macanri, Brian, Clara Lara after the race. Good performances all round. We had a few pints in town afterwards. Myself, Aimman and RK even managed to keep the tradition of a pint in Ryans once we got back to Dublin.

Total for the day: 14.1 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭racheljev

Well done Meno, brilliant time, congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

well done today meno,nice to meet you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Great time Meno in weather like today's. Your days of wondering if i'll come pass you anymore i fear are over.

chinguetti wrote: »
    Great time Meno in weather like today's. Your days of wondering if i'll come pass you anymore i fear are over.

wouldn't say that boss. Your time today is just 1 second worse than my 10k PB, on a much tougher course and in much tougher conditions. Mcmillan has us on similar targets based on our times today... could be interesting in raheny. Don't downplay yourself....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Very good going. Nice to do a PB in those conditions. Later in the year you should comfortably - well, maybe not that comfortably - do sub 1.30. Just as a matter of interest, there's a pancake flat half at the end of September near where I live. It's called the Route du Vin (Remich) and it attracts top runners as well as a nice size amateur field. It's in Luxembourg btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Great time memo. Your 6mins ahead of me over this distance:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Fair play meno, great result!

• Advertisement

Group run in the Park this morning
    10.2 miles
    at 9:19 pace.

I Felt this run really helped recovery. The right leg was very stiff to start off but loosened up as theings went on.

Weekly total 6 runs 49 miles
    MTD 15 runs 142.1 miles

Much lesser week miles wise, but Made up for with quality. Should get back to 60 miles next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Training going well, although you said Barca wasn't an A race, do you have a goal time in mind?

Out of curiosity, what are the longest back to back runs that you are going to do distance wise? Got in a habit of doing two long runs a week now and the body is handling it grand. My main LSR the weekend, and another one during the week but this one is split in 2 - run to and from work, changing the route to change the distance. So far its gotten no further that 15 - 7 to and 8 home. Get home faster than if i had to wait for buses!

Training going well, although you said Barca wasn't an A race, do you have a goal time in mind?

Barca isn't even a B race at this stage especially as I'll be doing a 50k race the week before. I'll really just do it for the Crack at planned ultra pace. I have said to RK that I'll pace her to 4hrs if she wants, otherwise I'll probably just aim for about 3:50 as that's what I plan to get through 26.2 in Connemara.

I hope to use the ultra fitness to have a crak at a marathon on April/may/june. (I am thinking edinburgh or maybe Kildare) and then have a crack at lowering that time off the back of a proper Marathon programme later in the year (Berlin or maybe Dublin).

As for long runs, the plan is to do back to back 20's at least once and throw in a couple of 30 mile runs (the 50k being one of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Cool.

Yeah makes great sense to make use of that fitness to get a new PB in an autumn marathon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Well done on the PB yesterday; that's some good running. Shame I missed ye in the pub after.

shazkea wrote: »
    Well done on the PB yesterday; that's some good running. Shame I missed ye in the pub after.

Thanks Shaz. Great run yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Great report, I think you were holding back in the race though, to make the rest of us feel better;)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Well done yesterday M...ur training is deffo reaping benifits....As a matter of interest where are u running the 50k race??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done M thats a way to get a pb eh ;) Excellent running out of your sir!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

chinguetti wrote: »
    menoscemo wrote: »
    . Mcmillan has us on similar targets based on our times today...

I'm not surprised as you two were born on the same day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

He's older than me:D and quicker:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Again, what a great run. Super time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Dont wanna burst your bubble but its time to put this result behind you. It was a great result and good springboard but its time to push on. I thinj you could go under 3.30 in barca without killing yourself and be grand for conn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Great result and PB ... and in poor conditions. You seem to be in flying form.

I took yeterday off as my lower right leg had been pretty sore even walking since saturday. It seems to be the peronues muscles on the outer part of my lower left legs (more specifically up near the knee but the pain goes right into the foot). I spent sunday and yesterday evening stretching and foam rolling the affected area and it seemed to be much better today.

I am pretty sure it is all caused by wearing the racing flats for the half on saturday, but thankfully it doesn't seem to be too serious an injury. If it persists tomorrow I'll probably go see the physio but it seems to be getting better...

Tonight: 9.2 miles easy in Tymon park. Pace 8:28. My easy pace seems to be getting much faster. Leg felt stiff for the first mile but soon loosened up.

WTD: 1 Run 9.2 miles
    MTD:16 runs 151.3 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

menoscemo wrote: »
    Tonight: 9.2 miles easy in Tymon park. Pace 8:28.

On a list of 'you know you're a runner if....'

They list '9 miles' and 'easy' in the same sentence.

5.4 miles at 9:05 pace. Leg much better today.

WTD: 2 Run 14.6 miles
    MTD:17 runs 156.7 miles

6.1 miles @ 8:42 pace. 157m climbing.
    I did this run at lunchtime, not having ate much and I was feeling pretty drained for the first two miles which were mainly downhill. I was dreading the uphills but once I hit them I suddenly felt strong. Enjoyable session.

WTD: 3 Run 20.7 miles
    MTD:18 runs 162.8 miles

9.2 miles @8:32 pace around tymon.
    Pretty much the same course and pace as wednesday evening. I noticed this evening that for the first time in weeks I had no niggles. My feet and legs were basically pain free :pac:
    Hoping to do about 20 tomorrow and 10 on sunday to make up 60 for the week.

WTD: 4 Run 29.9 miles
    MTD:19 runs 172 miles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Loverly stuff!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement