Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

menoscemo wrote: »
    What are you shooting for yourself?
    No time in mind, just going to run it hard and see what happens. Its difficult to pace, a fast down hill start, slower middle and a fast finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I have had a stinking bout of the manflu for a few days now which has involved me taking yesterday off work. Despite the continuing temperature and chesty cough I took a lemsip headed out in the lashing rain to meet Brianderunner in phoenix park (We agreed to do the run last saturday while drunk you see :rolleyes:)
    Plan 18 miles w 14 @PMP
    I decided to take a 'we'll see how it goes' attitude.
    2 mile warm up @9:35 (135) I noticed I had a sore chest but we launched into the PMP miles anyway and never looked back. The miles went out as follows:
    8:02 (160), 7:55 (162), 7:51 (157), 7:55 (158), 7:57 (163), 7:57 (161), 7:57 (155), 7:54 (166), 7:55 (165), 7:57 (160), 7:45 (157), 7:55 (152), 8:00 (157), 7:50 (164)
    3 Miles warm Down @ 9:16 (157)

Summary: 18 Miles @ 8:15 pace (Av HR 156)

This actually felt really good. It was great to have company for the run. The HR varied a lot as several miles were uphill and into the wind and other miles were the opposite, but we tried to keep up pace on all miles and not run by effort. The legs do not feel bad at all now. Thanks to Brian for the company and for his eyes. Having gone without contacts, I would have definately got knocked down by several cyclists had it not been for him, as we spent the last 7 miles on the cycle lanes on chesterfield in the dark.

I also learned tonght that: Mini Milky bars do not go down well at PMP, but Cliff Bloks and Caffeinated sports beans certainly do!

Anyway, back to the lemsip, I hope I am not feeling awful agin tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

Well done - nice pacing. That's all the hardest long runs out of the way now, I presume.

plodder wrote: »
    Well done - nice pacing. That's all the hardest long runs out of the way now, I presume.

Yep, that one was the elephant in the room. I should have done it last weekend but couldn't due pacing duties and post race celebrations.
    Next week is a handy 20 miles (though I may throw in a few PMP at the end).

When's your next race? I'll probably do Rathfarnham 5k on sunday, we should be going at about the same speed now, judging by your recent times. Well done on the HM by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Cheers for the lift back into town, it was always going to happen after you agreed to drive me as far as heuston :P

• Advertisement

Yep, that one was the elephant in the room. I should have done it last weekend but couldn't due pacing duties and post race celebrations.
    Next week is a handy 20 miles (though I may throw in a few PMP at the end).

When's your next race? I'll probably do Rathfarnham 5k on sunday, we should be going at about the same speed now, judging by your recent times. Well done on the HM by the way!
    Thanks. I'm doing last week's running this week. So, I have that big PMP run this Sunday. I'm not looking forward to it. Not sure if I'll run any more races. If I do one, it'll be the BHAA XC on Oct 9.

plodder wrote: »
    Thanks. I'm doing last week's running this week. So, I have that big PMP run this Sunday. I'm not looking forward to it. Not sure if I'll run any more races. If I do one, it'll be the BHAA XC on Oct 9.

Nah, you'll be fine!
    Think of it this way- you ran 13.2 miles last saturday sub 7:20, so how hard can it be to run 14 @ sub 8:00 pace?
    The worst thing is the thought of doing it. I have to be honest, the hardest part tonight was the 2 mile cooldown, I just wanted to go home at that stage :p. It might be best to do a 4 mile warm up and end staright after the PMP.

I alsofound being able to practise race day nutrition invaluable tonight. What you can eat during a slow LSR is not the same as what goes down well at PMP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I also learned tonght that: Mini Milky bars do not go down well at PMP, but Cliff Bloks and Caffeinated sports beans certainly do!

Heard someone else say they found the sports beans great, where can u buy them in Dublin, wouldn't mind giving them a go on the last couple of LSR's.

Great running last night, I had a few sniffles, saw the rain and gave myself a pass, felt even worse at the thought of the more dedicated flying around the park like the clappers after reading your log!! Thanks for that:o

*Note to self- Stop making f***ing excuses

sideswipe wrote: »
    Heard someone else say they found the sports beans great, where can u buy them in Dublin, wouldn't mind giving them a go on the last couple of LSR's.

I picked them up at Irish Fit when i was buying my compression shorts.

Cold seems to have disappeared overnight. Seems like I ran it off in the rain. legs feel fine. I may attempt another run this evening.

What you can eat during a slow LSR is not the same as what goes down well at PMP.
    Very true. I plan to test this out on Sunday as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

sideswipe wrote: »
    Bike shops tend to have them - as far as I remember I got a packet in Cycleways before, and I think Hollingsworth in Templeogue has them too.

11 miles @ 8:47 pace
    Legs felt fine tonight but the body was in bits. Probably due to the double mcdonalds meal I had for lunch :p. I had a stitch for the first 2 miles straight despite going at 9+ mile pace. I managed to pick up a bit towards the end. Nose is still blocked up and a chesty cough, hope it clears up for sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

What are you doing training with a chest infection? Your a plonker! What are ye?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I was going to say the same gerard. I know he won't listen to me though. Even I wouldn't train with a chest infection especially with all the work he's put in this year.

gerard65 wrote: »
    What are you doing training with a chest infection? Your a plonker! What are ye?

A Plonker!!

No seriously, I definately don't have a chest infection, I'm not that stupid! Just a head cold that goes down as far as the throat. I know I said chesty cough but it is definately coming more from the throat ( I just call every cough a chesty cough). Feel much better these last few days anyway, just a bit of congestion left.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

A Plonker!!

No seriously, I definately don't have a chest infection, I'm not that stupid! Just a head cold that goes down as far as the throat. I know I said chesty cough but it is definately coming more from the throat ( I just call every cough a chesty cough). Feel much better these last few days anyway, just a bit of congestion left.....

I think Medbhs craziness in training during anything or as soon as possible is starting to rub off on all the ARTists.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Why do I always get dragged into these things? :pac: I'm very sensible! :mad:

Folks, be cool, be cool, I know what I am doing :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Folks, be cool, be cool, I know what I am doing :cool:

Hmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I with xebec. Would you ever go and get rid of the cold. You're going to make yourself worse if you don't. Remember what your main target is.

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    I with xebec. Would you ever go and get rid of the cold. You're going to make yourself worse if you don't. Remember what your main target is.

Jesus lads, I feel like I have 10 mammies on here nagging me:p

I can reassure you all my cold is all but gone and I'll be back to 100% in a few days. I have had colds before and realise when I am getting better ;)

chinguetti wrote: »

I'd be more worried about the groin, but he won't listen to the multitudes on that one either :rolleyes: Ah well, I'm sure you'll set a nice 5k PB on Sunday, just really hope it doesn't affect the big one!

xebec wrote: »
    I'd be more worried about the groin, but he won't listen to the multitudes on that one either :rolleyes: Ah well, I'm sure you'll set a nice 5k PB on Sunday, just really hope it doesn't affect the big one!

Groin is feeling 100% at the moment, I have had 4 visits to the physio over the past 3 weeks and been doing strenghtening excercises in the evenings for the past fortnight.
    I haven't preregistered so I'll go and do half a mile tomorrow at race pace to make sure all is OK. I'll also wear compression shorts on the day and do a good warm up with strides included.
    If I feel anything at all during the race, I assure you I will pull up and jog the rest of the course.
    My fast mile on tuesday and 14 @PMP yesterday suggests that everything should be ok.

Fair enough, sounds like a good plan...

Just a quick leg loosener/test run ahead of tomorrow.
    3 miles along the canal @7:30 pace average, including just over half a mile @ 6:17/mile pace.

Felt great tonight and the legs felt really fresh. I wore my Lunar Racers as I intend to give them their race debut tomorrow, but I didn't wear the compression shorts as I wanted to properly test the groin. I concentrated on relaxed shoulders and long loose stride on the fast bit, now just to repeat that x 6 tomorrow :o

Cold also clearing up, all the congestion has retreated to the nose area and I got a nasal spray this morning which seesm to have cleared the airwaves. Looking forward to tomorrow now, almost more nervous about this one than the Marathon. I love 5ks :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Cold also clearing up, all the congestion has retreated to the nose area and I got a nasal spray this morning which seesm to have cleared the airwaves. Looking forward to tomorrow now, almost more nervous about this one than the Marathon. I love 5ks :pac:
    Good luck tomorrow! Haven't decided whether or not I'm going to race tomorrow - will make a call on the morning depending on how the legs have recovered from yesterday's 18-miler.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

3 miles along the canal @7:30 pace average, including just over half a mile @ 6:17/mile pace.

Felt great tonight and the legs felt really fresh. I wore my Lunar Racers as I intend to give them their race debut tomorrow, but I didn't wear the compression shorts as I wanted to properly test the groin. I concentrated on relaxed shoulders and long loose stride on the fast bit, now just to repeat that x 6 tomorrow :o

Didn't realise you were doing this until I saw your post on the event thread- now I see this I hope you realise I was only kidding about pacing a 22min 5km ;)
    Good luck-
    I'm wondering about adopting a "Declan Moffit" approach

W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Didn't realise you were doing this until I saw your post on the event thread- now I see this I hope you realise I was only kidding about pacing a 22min 5km ;)
    Yeah of course ;)
    W.B. Yeats wrote: »
    Good luck-
    I'm wondering about adopting a "Declan Moffit" approach

Just googled Declan Moffit there! Cheers for that, very funny :D I certainly adopted the Declan Moffit approach last year, clearing the first km in about 3:50 even though I was only targetting sub 22 minutes (like yourself).
    Tis a bit hard not to use the Declan Moffit method with the big downhill start, but if you're running alongside Martin Fagan after 500m, you are probably going a little too fast :pac:

Thats a fast run to be doing the day before a big(ish) race, i hope you havent left sub 20 on the canal today. Anyway best of luck tomorrow, i'm predicting something in the 19:40's for you. I'll be out on the bike to crack the metaphorical whip along by bushy park.

• Advertisement

Congrats today. I should be charging you for this ;)

Rathfarnham5k.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement