Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Good luck Saturday - but take it easy on the injury. Your pacing 2.00 in the Dublin HM ? You might just meet my nephew (I don't know it he's running - he's being coy about his plans !) but 2.00 would be a PMP for him I think.

No worries PG, Injury should be fine. I'll wear the compression shorts and if it feels tight I'll slow down, it is not a target Race. TBH I don't expect to beat my 10k PB.
    Are you doing any tune up races?
    I have just signed up to the three tune up races prescribed by P&D
    10k Saturday, 5 k on the 26th September and a 5 miler on the 3rd October, hoping for PBs in the second two.

Yep I'm pacing 2 hrs at the half next weekend. If your Nephew is following, tell him to come up and say hello. I'll be dressed all in black (got lovely pacemakers gear sent out in the post today :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Question is are you going to barca

Question is are you going to barca

Fancy it?
    If DCM goes well, I'll definately go for it as training for the connemarra ultra. If it doesn't go well, I'll probably go for it as an attempt to run a good marathon.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I see Team Barcelona is increasing in size all the time!

menoscemo wrote: »
    Fancy it?
    If DCM goes well, I'll definately go for it as training for the connemarra ultra. If it doesn't go well, I'll probably go for it as an attempt to run a good marathon.

I'm giving it some very serious consideration

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Simon 5 mile is actually the week after I thought it was http://www.funrun.ie/

It's on a Saturday though which is good.

Simon 5 mile is actually the week after I thought it was http://www.funrun.ie/

It's on a Saturday though which is good.

Thanks for that, I acyually registered lasy night :p
    It actually fits perfectly into my training plan.

Hopefully I'll be good to do it too. Same route as the leg it for your liver run I did in March so would be nice to smash my time from that.

Time to start organizing the drinks in Ryans? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

I think these races are only an excuse for a piss up.:cool:

Hopefully I'll be good to do it too. Same route as the leg it for your liver run I did in March so would be nice to smash my time from that.

Yes. The race starts at 10.30 so we should be getting to Ryans for opening. Also With the race over, I will be officially be on taper- a good excuse for a piss up reason to celebrate.

• Advertisement

Sure it'll be the last chance to drink before the marathon. Has to be done.

Sure it'll be the last chance to drink before the marathon.

Not likely.
    Last year i lived like a hermit for a month before the race, giving up all booze and it didn't work. This year I'll be enjoying my weekends. That's why I genrally have all my runs finished up by saturday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Not likely.
    Last year i lived like a hermit for a month before the race, giving up all booze and it didn't work.

As I keep telling you, Beer = Carbs + Water + the stuff that tricks your brain into thinking you can run a sub 2 hour marathon after a few.

Then after the race, Beer = Fizzy taste to quench your thirst + the stuff that eases the pain in the muscles, makes your legs even wobblier and convinces you that you're a good dancer even after 26.2 miles.

Beer is good. Thats something you wont find in a P&D book ;)

Aimman wrote: »
    As I keep telling you, Beer = Carbs + Water + the stuff that tricks your brain into thinking you can run a sub 2 hour marathon after a few.

Then after the race, Beer = Fizzy taste to quench your thirst + the stuff that eases the pain in the muscles, makes your legs even wobblier and convinces you that you're a good dancer even after 26.2 miles.

Beer is good. Thats something you wont find in a P&D book ;)

Did you get a chance to try that Kopperberg Mixed berry yet? Bliss in a bottle (and 5.3% alcohol to boot) plus it is made from fruit and fruit= healthy carbs, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Did you get a chance to try that Kopperberg Mixed berry yet? Bliss in a bottle (and 5.3% alcohol to boot

Not yet, and you've just put the bloody longing on me now for a pint, lol.

I'm heading out for a big family dinner tomorrow night. I'll try a bottle of it then. The German Weissbiers are usually 5.3% too and for the Oktoberfest and Winterbrau seasons, they have a 5.6% version. Prost!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

If you dare carry out the actions threatened on jcsmum's log - I definitely won't be the one turning beetroot...:cool: You'll never find me. Mwah ha ha!

That's the first time I have had the misfortune of using those three letters. I am not overly disappointed though as I was really only running this race because the Programme said to, not a s a particular target race.
    I Got to Firhouse early and I was registered by 9:30 so i decided to do a lap of the course (it was a 2 lap course) nice and easy. I could see it was a really diffcult course with the uphill drag along the firhouse rd also into a stiff wind.

Anyway Warmup 4 miles 9:00 pace.

Onto the race itself: met a good few boardsies before the race. I wasn't really in PB mood so I decided to head out with Aimman (who was targetting 45 minutes) for the first few miles to see how it was going. We started out too fast, doing the first half mile under 6:30 pace. At about this point I could feel my groin pull again. I said to Aimman I wasn't going to finish, and I dropped out at the first opportunity- around 1.5 miles, and jogged back to the race HQ.

I don't think the injury is too serious- rather the same as I had 2 weeks ago. I felt it after my speed session in the midweek. It only seems to go when I dip under 7 minute mile pace. Anyway I'll go to the physio again next week and see what happens. Talking to a few lads after (thanks ecoli), they advised me to replace VO2 max sessions with tempo sessions- I think this may be a good Idea. I also was advised to get a pair of proper compression shorts for speed sessions (cheers Tunguska). It is looking like I may not be able to run the Rathfarnham 5k though, I will be really disappointed if that's the case. Sub 20 was a real target for me round there.

I will do my LSR tomorrow- as I say the injury only flairs when I go really fast. I will staill be able to get the long mileage in.

anyway 6 miles for the day. Unsure of overall pace.

Nice to meet a few new faces: plodder, ecoli, Liamo, Shels4ever, the Roadrunner etc. (sorry if I forgot anyone).

I have a funny story actually. After I pulled out I met a guy who had obviously done the same in the car park and got talking to him (he had pulled out due to shinsplints). I thought I recognised his face. We went down to see the leaders finish. Anyway after talking races, targets etc, he mentioned he did the Parkwest race in July. I asked him what time he got and he said 42:08- 1 second behind me!! Then it all clicked, I recognised him form the finish line photos of that race. He was the guy I was working hard to hold off in the last 200m of that race, the effort of which caused me to puke all over the place at the finish line. Funnily enough he said he had been too wrecked to see my 'incident'.

Anyway It all give me a bit of confidence as he is a 3:22 marathon runner targetting 3:15 in this years DCM, and I managed to beat him (albeit by 1 second and at the cost of my entire breakfast :p)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Sorry to hear about the DNF, but probably the most sensible decision to make at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

Pity about the race but as you said, it wasn't a target race. Hope the injury sorts it self out asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Forget about the DNF. Eyes on the big prize! Look after yourself tomorrow during the LSR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Sorry to hear about that meno, but in a way thankfully its a groin injury, they are well manageable. As stated compression shorts and hot baths.

I got a lot of them playing footy. Dont stretch a sore groin. The baths help get rid of the hard blood if there is a little tear in the sheet of muscle.

Hope tomorrow goes okay.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about that meno, but in a way thankfully its a groin injury, they are well manageable. As stated compression shorts and hot baths.

I got a lot of them playing footy. Dont stretch a sore groin. The baths help get rid of the hard blood if there is a little tear in the sheet of muscle.

Hope tomorrow goes okay.

Cheers Kennyb, surprised I didn't spot you today, I was at the finish line, cheering everyone in (then Again I wasn't expecting you). You ran bang on my PB from 2 months ago today, so If I had been in shape I should have been running alongside you.

I hear ya about the groin, it is definately a manageable injury- easy running and in fact anything up to HM pace is absolutely fine, it is just that extra zip that causes it to go. I can actually run on with it, and if it happens at DCM I certainly will- I just felt today it wasn't worth it, as Krusty says, eyes on the big prize.

I have a physio appointment already booked for monday and have sourced some compression shorts that I'll be picking up early next week.

Unlucky today mate. I'm liking your attitude though. Onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

If the speed sessions are causing injuries you should consider dropping them. I ran close to a marathon pb in April running slow miles exclusively. P&D might be telling you to run fast but P&D needs to be altered I'd need be. Any decent coach would reassess the program you are on. No use flogging a dead horse or knackered muscle !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Cheers Kennyb, surprised I didn't spot you today, I was at the finish line, cheering everyone in (then Again I wasn't expecting you). You ran bang on my PB from 2 months ago today, so If I had been in shape I should have been running alongside you.

I was in sneaky stealth mode. didnt even tell the gf i was doing the race till i got home from my ' long run'.

Yeah a couple of times i thought you were coming up behind and one time i was convinced you went by me but obviously not. Im sure i ll catch you again.

Well, I can't run fast but my long running seems to be improving.

19.2 miles @9:28 pace. HR 141

Met with Chinguetti, Brianderunner and Ronan, a boards lurker. Took the pace nice and slow for most of the run, Myself and Brian kicked of for the last mile and a bit which we ran below PMP (about 7:40 pace). I was only planning 17 initially but we wre all feeling good so we put an extra lap on the end. My HR was lower today than a few weeks ago when we did a 20. It also only just crept into the low 160's for the last fast bit which is pretty much where it would be normally so i am pretty pleased overall, especially since I had a few drinks last night.

I carried a few bars with me today and we looped past the cars a few times for extra water so I am putting the performance down to this. I am usually pretty hungry and dehydrated at the end of long runs and my legs definately feel better today than they normally would.

Weekly total:
    5 runs 49.4 miles

I was going to turn around and join you all but I thought you were going a bit fast for me, seemingly you were going slower though? :pac: What happened to the early run?

I was going to turn around and join you all but I thought you were going a bit fast for me, seemingly you were going slower though? :pac: What happened to the early run?

That was the early run, we started at 10am. We were just crossing about 17 miles when we passed you and going at about 9:30 pace. You also looked to be going faster than you actually were :pac:

If the speed sessions are causing injuries you should consider dropping them. I ran close to a marathon pb in April running slow miles exclusively. P&D might be telling you to run fast but P&D needs to be altered I'd need be. Any decent coach would reassess the program you are on. No use flogging a dead horse or knackered muscle !

Thanks RR. I Intend following that advice and replace speed sessions with tempos. I would still really like to race the Rathfarnham 5k though :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Sure didn't we stop at the cars for water and jellies twice, twas a comfortable run. Mind that groin now Meno.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement