Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Real Runner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

7 miles General Aerobic run. Pace 8:20ish. 8 x 100m strides included. I felt very sluggish to start off but picked it up. No HRM. Garmin got a bit wonky in the first mile and had me running a 9 min+ mile when I felt i was going very fast (actually was travelling sub 8 min/mile).I see now it had lost signal for about .15 of a mile.
    This nearly caused an onset of taper madness as I couldn't believe how tough the pace felt for 9 m/m. Thankfully I calmed down when the second lap immediately started showing a sub 8 pace, so I slowed down from then on.

Tonight was the last 'tough' run in the programme before the marathon. A rather hard looking VO2 max run: 3 x 1 mile @ 5 k pace.

2 mile warm up @ 8:34 (140)

3 x 1 mile with half a mile recoveries went like this:
    1. 6:31 (167)
    2. 6:33 (171)
    3. 6:32 (170)
    Thet felt tough but not overly tough as the HR shows. Max HR for the excercise was 175.
    2 Mile cool down @ 8:37 (152)

Total: 8 miles @ 7:54 avg pace (154 av hr)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

menoscemo wrote: »
    Tonight was the last 'tough' run in the programme before the marathon. A rather hard looking VO2 max run: 3 x 1 mile @ 5 k pace.

Thet felt tough but not overly tough as the HR shows. Max HR for the excercise was 175.

Thats a solid run there and a tasty pace! Not long now til marathon day..

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

Menoscemo, are you and rest of group doing a run in the park on Sat \Sun morning?

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Thats a solid run there and a tasty pace! Not long now til marathon day..

Cheers, Pace is never the issue, will I have the endurance :confused:. Can't wait for the marathon though. I have the jitters. I see you have been following the P&D 55 mile programme too, how have you found it compared to other programmes? Are you confident of your sub 3?

• Advertisement

RAL3 wrote: »
    Menoscemo, are you and rest of group doing a run in the park on Sat \Sun morning?

I think chingetti i doing 12 on saturday morning (same place same time). i am gonna leave my lon run until monday though. Have a lot of plans for the weekend (unfortunately they involve poker and booze :o).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Meno, if you change your mind, turn up on Saturday at 9. If not, i'll meet you at the expo or the start line:D Enjoy the weekend.

RAL3, yep i'll be there for 9am on Saturday. 9.30/10 mins pace and i'm doing 12. Hope ya can make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭RAL3

chinguetti wrote: »
    Meno, if you change your mind, turn up on Saturday at 9. If not, i'll meet you at the expo or the start line:D Enjoy the weekend.

RAL3, yep i'll be there for 9am on Saturday. 9.30/10 mins pace and i'm doing 12. Hope ya can make it.

See you there Confetti

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Cheers, Pace is never the issue, will I have the endurance :confused:. Can't wait for the marathon though. I have the jitters. I see you have been following the P&D 55 mile programme too, how have you found it compared to other programmes? Are you confident of your sub 3?

Your in the same boat as me so!! I can keep a sub 3 pace ok til around mile 18, then Im in a world of pain! Hope it doesnt happen this year, only time will tell. So Im 50 50 for sub3. Yeah, am following the PD program loosely. Have been makin up my own program since joining a club a couple of months ago. So Id do club speed session tuesday, aerobic Thurday and Long run Sunday with a couple of recovery runs thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good finish - nice even splits. You're looking in great shape at this stage with a good training cycle and new PBs in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Hope the stomach holds up on race day or you'll be running STRAIGHT into a RUNNER RUNNER FLUSH if you know what i mean wink.gif

Anyone else reading this will be wondering wtf!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

That looks a lot like a P&D session to me............have you been using one of their plans? Sorry I havent caught up with your log before this menoscemo. Hows the groin holding up? Anyway If I dont see you before the big day best of luck.

tunguska wrote: »
    That looks a lot like a P&D session to me............have you been using one of their plans? Sorry I havent caught up with your log before this menoscemo. Hows the groin holding up? Anyway If I dont see you before the big day best of luck.

Cheers Tugnuska, yep i have been following P&D 55 MPW plan religiously (Don't think I have missed a session :o). Groin has been 100% for a few weeks now. i was probably being ultra cautios at the Firhouse race. Thanks for the tip about the compression shorts, i have found them really good. Best of luckn to yourself as well. I won't ask you what your targetting.

P.S. You should get your own log :pac:

Hope the stomach holds up on race day or you'll be running STRAIGHT into a RUNNER RUNNER FLUSH if you know what i mean wink.gif

Anyone else reading this will be wondering wtf!

I didn't get a chance to tell anyone my bad beat story as i just left in disgust last night. this is my best chance to get it off my chest. Sorry to the non poker playing boardises as this won't mean much.

I had been playing tight all day and on about 24k after 8 hours. Villain has been on my table all day so he should know me at this stage. I am in the SB (500/1k level) with 3 limpers. Villain had limped UTG (normally very agressive, hmmm) i complete with 7-8 off. BB checks. Flop comes 6-9-10, 2 diamonds, 1 Club. Bingo!! I lead for 3k. BB folds, UTG makes it 8k, fold, fold,. I Ship (obviously) he snap calls and turns over AK clubs (wtf?). He tells me he was trapping by limping in and couldn't fold now :rolleyes:. Turn, 3clubs, River 9 clubs.

Just so you know it was this guy:
    DSC_6218.jpg So deal him a bad beat for me:pac: He'll probably go on and win the bloddy thing (in fairness, he had been playing very well up to that point yesterday.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

P.S. You should get your own log :pac:

Once upon a time I did............

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

I didn't get a chance to tell anyone my bad beat story as i just left in disgust last night. this is my best chance to get it off my chest. Sorry to the non poker playing boardises as this won't mean much.

I had been playing tight all day and on about 24k after 8 hours. Villain has been on my table all day so he should know me at this stage. I am in the SB (500/1k level) with 3 limpers. Villain had limped UTG (normally very agressive, hmmm) i complete with 7-8 off. BB checks. Flop comes 6-9-10, 2 diamonds, 1 Club. Bingo!! I lead for 3k. BB folds, UTG makes it 8k, fold, fold,. I Ship (obviously) he snap calls and turns over AK clubs (wtf?). He tells me he was trapping by limping in and couldn't fold now :rolleyes:. Turn, 3clubs, River 9 clubs.
    The dirty git!! Though I haven't got the foggiest what you're talking about ... :D

Stick to the running maybe. Sounds like you're doing better at that !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

You're right Meno, i haven't a clue what all that was about.

I'll stick to the horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Villain had limped UTG (normally very agressive, hmmm) i complete with 7-8 off. BB checks. Flop comes 6-9-10, 2 diamonds, 1 Club. Bingo!! I lead for 3k. BB folds, UTG makes it 8k, fold, fold,. I Ship (obviously) he snap calls and turns over AK clubs (wtf?). He tells me he was trapping by limping in and couldn't fold now :rolleyes:. Turn, 3clubs, River 9 clubs.

Dont you mean he calls Snap and bangs his hand on the cards????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

You didn't do anything wrong but get unlucky.
    Always sucks when a flush comes along after you have made the straight on the flop.

Just so you know it was this guy:
    DSC_6218.jpg So deal him a bad beat for me:pac: He'll probably go on and win the bloddy thing (in fairness, he had been playing very well up to that point yesterday.)

You were 93% favourite after the flop to win the hand (just checked it now) Yeah i'll remember him for tomorrow, I'm betting he'll donk it off early on. Only 124 left out of 1300 starters.

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    The dirty git!! Though I haven't got the foggiest what you're talking about ... :D

Stick to the running maybe. Sounds like you're doing better at that !

Used to play a lot of poker but friday was my first game in about 6 months. It has really taken a back seat since the running started. Sadly I don't think I'll ever be able to run to the standards I used to play (can't see myself ever winning a race). But running is a much more healthy hobby.

Anyway. I was bad yesterday and drank too much and ate too much junk food. I am eating rings around myself this past week and am back up to my customary 75kgs (was down to 73 after coming back from the states a few months ago)
    The Punishment today was a 5 mile run to sweat the alcohol out. The run actually felt great for a hangover run.

5.1 miles @ 9:14 pace.

I decided to bring last weeks LSR forward to monday so as to do the last week of training by the book.
    This was one of those runs that you do 'because you have to'. It was dark, cold and extremely windy. the wind seemed to be constantly in my face. I did it all in Tymon park and ended up running up and down the only lighted part just to make up tha last few miles.

That said It all felt fairly comfortable for a relatively fast pace.

12 miles @8:23 pace. Av HR 146. The average heart rate should be about 156 for the first half of the marathon, so that gives me approximately 10bpm for an extra 30 sec/mile pace. Sounds about right.

Weekly total: 32.1 miles (4 runs)

6 miles recovery Pace: 9:20 ish, Av HR 132.

Nothing much to report. Chilly out there. Hat and gloves got their first turnout of the year. I met Aimman at the start of the run and he looked like he was dressed for summer (I think his arms and hands had turned Blue though). No wonder he can't stick to recovery pace :pac:

Plan: 7 miles with 2 @ PMP

Met up with Aimman for this tonight. He doesn't seem to mind running his PMP miles at 30 seconds faster than PMP :pac:

This run felt great, especially the PMP miles. They went: 7:53 (155), 7:52 (151) the first being uphill and the second down. I hope to keep the Hr in the mid 150's at least for the first half of the race so tonight was spot on.

Looking back on the run now, the HR is much lower than normal in the other miles. Maybe the taper is working!! I am all nervous and excited. The marathon is all I can think about in work and I am waking up 3+ times each night for the last week with various weird marathon related dreams.

Overall: 6.9 miles Pace: 8:36, Av HR 140.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

It was a good enjoyable run tonight. Pity about the dark evenings.

Dont worry about the weird dreams. Especially the one where you end up at the staring line completely naked except for your number tatooed on your chest.

You only need to worry when you realise you've done it for real.:eek: Thats one photo to avoid on MarathonFoto.com! :D

You're well on course for 3:30. Enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Aimman wrote: »
    Dont you mean he calls Snap and bangs his hand on the cards????:confused:

brilliant :D:D:D

I am all nervous and excited. The marathon is all I can think about in work and I am waking up 3+ times each night for the last week with various weird marathon related dreams.

At least you've got work to distract you, try sitting around all day thinking about it like me. I bet you're having the dream where you you're on for a brilliant time then suddenly you can't run and your legs feel like jelly. Every runner gets those at some stage. I once had a dream i was running the DCM with Alf from Home and Away and we took a wrong turn and ended up in Sandymount :o, he then fcked me out of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Alf of all people?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Best of luck on Monday! :)

• Advertisement

I once had a dream i was running the DCM with Alf from Home and Away and we took a wrong turn and ended up in Sandymount :o, he then fcked me out of it :D

That's class :D You should start a thread about dreams. unfortunately i can never remember mine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement