Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeder's get 3 months

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ecom

Stark wrote: »
    And you should be driving at a speed that allows you to stop in time if you see another vehicle ahead of you before you crash into it. Sometimes that might be 30km/hr, sometimes that might be 200km/hr.

How should you be driving at 200km/hr at any time?
    The max allowed by law is 120km/hr

Surely this is black&white. If you are driving at 121km/hr you are breaking the law. Whether we agree with this or any other speed limit is irrelevant. Breaking the law is breaking the law (um, weird Beavis and Butthead moment there!) and a judge is right to impose a sentence that he is legally allowed to impose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

ecom wrote: »
    How should you be driving at 200km/hr at any time?
    The max allowed by law is 120km/hr

Surely this is black&white. If you are driving at 121km/hr you are breaking the law. Whether we agree with this or any other speed limit is irrelevant. Breaking the law is breaking the law (um, weird Beavis and Butthead moment there!) and a judge is right to impose a sentence that he is legally allowed to impose.
    You're misunderstanding "right" with "able".

A judge is able to impose a sentence that he is legally allowed to impose. It doesn't mean that's he right to

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Would you be happy with 3 months in prison for doing 121km/hr? (As opposed to the fine and penalty points by law). How does that benefit anyone?

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Stark wrote: »
    Would you be happy with 3 months in prison for doing 121km/hr? (As opposed to the fine and penalty points by law). How does that benefit anyone?

of course not but then again I would never do anything near 200km/h

As I said earlier I'm sure these guys wont serve much/any time in prison, and I hope they dont, but the message being sent out by the sentencing is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

now i must LOL at that :)
    So you don't have any response apart from that?
    Shows your level of intelligence alright. ;)

• Advertisement

SV wrote: »
    So you don't have any response apart from that?
    Shows your level of intelligence alright. ;)

rather than having a slaggin match on here, PM me if you would like a discussion on it

rather than having a slaggin match on here, PM me if you would like a discussion on it
    Well they're worlds apart.

Why not talk about it here?
    200km/h really isn't fast, at all.

Of course it's fast when you suddenly stop from that speed.

200km/h really isn't fast, at all.

opinion....or Fact?
    If Fact, back it up please....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Jailing people for speeding is not only pointless, it's stupid.

And, it's also indicative of the double-standards that apply in the 'justice' system on this issue.

For example, the Judge is factually incorrect to lay the blame on 'speed' - we all know this, and the RSA knows it -witness the thread on here where their new publication shows it's only a factor in 5% of accidents. What about the 95% ?

Secondly, we're saying that in one part of the country, under one judge, that on a 'good' road, and the 'potential' to kill (or be killed...), warrants 1000's of Euro's in fines, bans, and Jail - yet in Cork you can actually kill a motorist, and get away with a smaller fine, no ban, and no jail ? So actually causing death with your vehicle warrants less punishment than some unproven theory that speed might kill ? Or, is the judge in this case then just telling us to feck off to Cork if we want to go speeding ??

It is this sort of arrogance and inequality that brings the law into disrepute.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

ecom wrote:
    If you are driving at 121km/hr you are breaking the law.

If driving on a provisional unaccompanied or without an NCT you're breaking the law but the Gardai use common sense.

A judge should use the same common sense imo. Doing say 140kph on a single carriageway would be alot more dangerous as there is on coming traffic/pedestrians/cyclists as well as junctions etc.

If you happened to be hogging the overtaking lane of the motorway, doing 200kph, the minimum speed you'd be expecting would be 120kph. The roads are generally straight but even the corners are very long with good visibility offering ample time to slow down.

• Advertisement

opinion....or Fact?
    If Fact, back it up please....

:rolleyes: Opinion obviously, what is or isn't fast is all down to opinion.

Another opinion, 120km/h is very slow.

of course not but then again I would never do anything near 200km/h

How do you know how fast 200km/h is if you have never done it. You should get yourself a spin in a decent car and see what 200km/h feels like on a motorway. The car will be cruising and you will be surprised at how it really is not warp speed like some people think. Although the most thing you will notice is how painfully slow 120km/h is after you slow back down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

now i must LOL at that :)

I can only give you my dissappinted face if you think 200kmph is fast :(

200kmph = 125 mph

On a clear motorway, with no rain or stong winds, 120 mph is my cruising speed. I wouldnt bat an eyelid about it!

as I said before
    Anybody who thinks that someone doing 125 mph on a motorway should go to jail for three months, should go to a dragstrip, or a racetrack in a car capable of doing these speeds and see an feel for themselves just how wild and out of control this feels!:rolleyes:

ok ok if you regualrly drive some sh'tbox that feels like its about to fall to bits or explode once it gets to 90mph, you could be forgiven for your opinion, but some cars can cruise at 3,000 rpm in 6th of 7th gear at 125 mph!

:rolleyes: Opinion obviously, what is or isn't fast is all down to opinion.

Another opinion, 120km/h is very slow.

well then surely this is a pointless argument.
    200km/hr is breaking the law.
    Judge hands down a sentence for breaking the law.

In my opinion the sentence he handed down was fair and correct. More judges should be doing exactly the same.

The pro-drink-driving lobby (aka backbenchers) claim that speeding is the main cause of accidents/death on our roads.

The speeders appear to claim its not speeding.

Who is right?
    Who cares who is right, anything that in any way has the potential to save lives is welcomed!

On a clear motorway, with no rain or stong winds, 120 mph is my cruising speed. I wouldnt bat an eyelid about it!

Would you be bothered about breaking any other laws in this country?

In my opinion the sentence he handed down was fair and correct. More judges should be doing exactly the same.

The pro-drink-driving lobby (aka backbenchers) claim that speeding is the main cause of accidents/death on our roads.

Who is right?
    Who cares who is right, anything that in any way has the potential to save lives is welcomed!

You say you don't want them to go to jail but believe the sentence was fair and correct? That's a tad hypocritical tbh.

Yeah, they do believe it's the main cause of accidents alright..and they also believe that drink driving relaxes you and makes you a better driver.
    Sure aren't they a smart bunch!

Do you support the removal of all vehicles in Ireland minus emergency vehicles?
    This has HUGE potential to save lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Who is right?

Oh great, so we can put even more pressure on an overcrowded prison system based on "what he did might be bad". The guy probably had more chance of being stabbed to death in prison than being killed driving. It is speeding but there are punishments for speeding that don't involve additional burden on a crumbling criminal justice system.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Who is right?

If those speeders (esp the one who goat jail time for doing less than 120 at 1am) get jailed, their lives have been ruined, for what??? nothing actually happened other than a car excedding an arbitary limit which was implemented well before the modern cars of today were about, amd these cars can deal with much higher speeds as safely.

You say you don't want them to go to jail but believe the sentence was fair and correct? That's a tad hypocritical tbh.

as I said in an earlier post, I dont believe they will serve any time due to the overcrowding in prisons. I'd love to know if they actually did serve any time. It's my opinion that the Judge knows they WONT serve any time but was taking a stance against them
    Do you support the removal of all vehicles in Ireland minus emergency vehicles?
    This has HUGE potential to save lives.

There are speed limits and rules of the road in place for a reason.

Would you be bothered about breaking any other laws in this country?

I think I could break the assualt one at the mo, to give someone a cop on bitchslap! :D

• Advertisement

There are speed limits and rules of the road in place for a reason.

but they don't stop accidents happening.
    Excessive speed accounts for very little accidents, this is fact.

so once again you said that you welcome anything that has the potential to save lives, so do you welcome that suggestion?

If those speeders (esp the one who goat jail time for doing less than 120 at 1am) get jailed, their lives have been ruined, for what??? nothing actually happened other than a car excedding an arbitary limit which was implemented well before the modern cars of today were about, amd these cars can deal with much higher speeds as safely.

so what do you suggest we do. Let them off with it and wait until the time they are doing 200km/hr and end up killing someone.
    Then yes, their Lives really would be ruined, as well as the lives of the people they kill, their families etc etc etc.
    It's got to be nipped in the bud before it becomes an issue.

Prevention is better than cure...blah blah blah

I think I could break the assualt one at the mo, to give someone a cop on bitchslap! :D

hah, nopw you know that wouldnt be a good idea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

So many posters go on about 200kmh not being dangerous or too fast!

What if at 200kmh the following happened -

Tyre burst

Some eejit throws a stone off a motorway bridge

You hit debris left on the road

Animal runs across your path

Insect flies into your line of vision in the car

You sneeze

Each one of the above are very possible on even the best roads in the best conditions. The possible result of any of these is loss of control and possible crossing of motorway into oncoming traffic and killing an innocent person. - e.g. M50 2004

That's why there are speed limits.

but they don't stop accidents happening.
    Excessive speed accounts for very little accidents, this is fact.

please point me to a report on this fact. I'm genuinely interested in seeing it....

so what do you suggest we do. Let them off with it and wait until the time they are doing 200km/hr and end up killing someone.
    Then yes, their Lives really would be ruined, as well as the lives of the people they kill, their families etc etc etc.
    It's got to be nipped in the bud before it becomes an issue.

Prevention is better than cure...blah blah blah

I think a better suggestion is a hefty fine and enough points to bring you to 11.
    It is a deterrant knowing you could be banned if you speed again or break any ROTR within 3 years.
    So there you have it, problem fixed and their lives go on as normal.

please point me to a report on this fact. I'm genuinely interested in seeing it....
    http://www.rsa.ie/publication/publication/upload/Driver%20Fatigue%205%20FA.pdf
    page 3, straight from the RSA themselves, oh what a surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Who is right?
    Who cares who is right, anything that in any way has the potential to save lives is welcomed
    !

Don't take our word for it, and the backbenchers are wrong as well, btw, but here's the actual figures from the RSA: IOW, more accidents are caused by tiredness.............much Jail will you get for that, I wonder??

95147.jpg

Taken from HERE, btw........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

mcaul wrote: »
    So many posters go on about 200kmh not being dangerous or too fast!

What if at 200kmh the following happened -

Tyre burst

You sneeze

Each one of the above are very possible on even the best roads in the best conditions. The possible result of any of these is loss of control and possible crossing of motorway into oncoming traffic and killing an innocent person. - e.g. M50 2004

That's why there are speed limits.

For these four driving at 120km/h or 200km/h would make little difference.

Tyre burst

These two would not cause me any problem tbh no matter how fast I was driving. I have often sneezed when at around 100mph.

You sneeze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

Congratulations for you limited view ( I and me dont do much for all of us)
    the law is there for all of us. we brake it at our own consequences. I have and paid for it. I drive with consideration to others and due care. there are always going to be bad drivers, we have the choice not to be.
    the true problem is the belief that we could/can/should get away with it.
    realisticlly, the motorway speed light should be constant, even raised to 130kph. for all of it and not creating bottlenecks by reducing speed limits where it suits them. The Garda should not be monitoring the motorways but the dangerous roads. But if you get used to eating from the same trough, why bother changing...
    I really do enjoy driving in other crounties where we obey the laws as they are constant and thus fair for all. Franch speed cameras on the motorways are on turns/curves when it can be dangerous.
    I have driven my car beyond its handbook speed and and will never go near that again on a AutoBahn or anywhere else.{ 245kph-Lancia :) } maybe on a track day. and thats more fun than going fast on a motorway...

I wonder if the defence of contestant number 1(or should that be number2!) thought about " he did not mean to go **** fast"

if we all work off the same page/book/whatever thenit SHOULD be ok, but that is never going to happen. Genuinely, good luck with your own version.

ps. my personal hate- it is the overtaking lane, not the go fast lane.
    that is all. :)
    sorry for any spelling errors... :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement