Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeder's get 3 months

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

MYOB wrote: »
    I'm telling you its actually impossible, seeing as theres no road car capable of doing 350mph. The fool is the one who thinks its possible :rolleyes:
    It's called a hypothetical question. And no, you quite clearly said it wasn't dangerous. I bet you wish you hadn't answered that now!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,168 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you have a link for this?

I've got one for 196km/h.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/no-ban-for-196kmh-porsche-driver-67720.html

Not hard to extrapolate that for another 7km/h now is it. That was on a WS2 national road (the N13) and not a motorway at that. Decent lawyer, sane judge, car that can handle the speeds.

It's called a hypothetical question. And no, you quite clearly said it wasn't dangerous. I bet you wish you hadn't answered that now!

I said it wasn't possible. If someone managed to make a car that could do 350mph, and we had roads that could take that speed, it'd be safe. But they don't, and we don't (you effectively need rails or salt flats) so its not even possible.

You're clinging to straws now.

I said it wasn't possible. If someone managed to make a car that could do 350mph, and we had roads that could take that speed, it'd be safe. But they don't, and we don't (you effectively need rails or salt flats) so its not even possible.

You're clinging to straws now.
    I specifically asked (hypothetically) if it was dangerous driving for a car to drive 350mph under the same circumstances as outlined in the OP.

Your (hypothetical) answer being...
    If the car, and the road, was suitable, no.

Oh yeah, I'm clutching at straws alright.

Oh yeah, I'm clutching at straws alright.

There being neither no cars nor no roads meeting the requirements nor any suggestion there ever will be is why you're clutching at straws.

There are, however, many cars capable of doing 200km/h and stopping from 200km/h safely, and there are hundreds of kilometres of road in Ireland on which a vehicle can drive at 200km/h.

• Advertisement

There being neither no cars nor no roads meeting the requirements nor any suggestion there ever will be is why you're clutching at straws.

Well then you shouldn't have provided such a moronic answer to my hypothetical question.
    There are, however, many cars capable of doing 200km/h and stopping from 200km/h safely, and there are hundreds of kilometres of road in Ireland on which a vehicle can drive at 200km/h.

I'm sure there are. But it's against the law to do so and in this case it was considered dangerous enough to warrant a jail sentence.

Well then you shouldn't have provided such a moronic answer to my hypothetical question.

How was my answer any more "moronic" than your question? I said that if there were hypothetical cars capable of doing 350mph (and stopping from that speed) and hypothetical roads capable of taking it it'd be safe. No more "moronic" than you asking the question in the first place :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

But is the maximum safe speed that our motorways were designed for?

How was my answer any more "moronic" than your question? I said that if there were hypothetical cars capable of doing 350mph (and stopping from that speed) and hypothetical roads capable of taking it it'd be safe. No more "moronic" than you asking the question in the first place :rolleyes:
    I think I've explained myself quite clearly. You obviously have some issues you need to address, so I'll leave you to it.

Happy motoring.

TheNog wrote: »
    But is the maximum safe speed that our motorways were designed for?

The minimum safe speed a 120km/h limited motorway in Ireland is designed for here is 160km/h. Many sections are to a higher standard, particularly on the older wide median motorways which have better sightlines, larger junctions, and so on.

• Advertisement

The minimum safe speed a 120km/h limited motorway in Ireland is designed for here is 160km/h. Many sections are to a higher standard, particularly on the older wide median motorways which have better sightlines, larger junctions, and so on.

The minimum is 160kph? I dont think so. Dont you mean the maximum is 160kph?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Jesus, 200 km/h!!! that's 125 mph!!!

On empty motorway, 120 is my cruising speed! If the conditions are pefect, I'll max her out at 155 mph (250 kmph!)

Jail for 125 mph??:confused::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

It is taking the piss, taking the piss out of the speed limits and the people who were travelling within those limits.

It is at the discretion of the Garda. Road and weather conditions as well as traffic density would all have to be taken into account.

I clocked a 99 Astra doing 180kph on a motorway on the handheld as well as on the speedo in the car (little bit higher though for obvious reason).

The speed they were travelling at is the dangerous driving. It doesnt matter where the licences were issued from or how well trained they were, they still have to drive with the stupid Irish drivers we have.
    ..........what makes you any safer at 180kph than the driver of the astra?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Ye Gods.

After the ****storm in this thread I'm half tempted to make a car that'll do 300mph+, and drive it. And video myself driving it, then send it to RTE.

Just to watch the country convulse.

Then, tie up Garda resources with a trial thanks to my legal right of silence, and then, before this judge himself, calmly point out that it was done on an unlimited autobahn in Germany.

The minimum is 160kph? I dont think so. Dont you mean the maximum is 160kph?

Absolutely not. The design speed - which is the lowest safe speed at any given point of a road - is 160km/h for motorways with a 120km/h speed limit in Ireland.

The only areas on the Irish motorway network which do not have design speeds of 160km/h or higher do not have posted speed limits of 120km/h. This includes nearly all of the M50 (junctions too close, curves too tight, etc), the M1 past the airport (junctions too close) and the M8 Glanmire Bypass (curves too tight), etc.

the bolt wrote: »
    ..........what makes you any safer at 180kph than the driver of the astra?

Because of my driving experience (16yrs now) and the defensive driving course I take every 3 yrs along with driving a car that is checked 3 times a day for visible defects, safety checked and serviced every 10k.

Dartz wrote: »
    Ye Gods.

After the ****storm in this thread I'm half tempted to make a car that'll do 300mph+, and drive it. And video myself driving it, then send it to RTE.

Just to watch the country convulse.

Then, tie up Garda resources with a trial thanks to my legal right of silence, and then, before this judge himself, calmly point out that it was done on an unlimited autobahn in Germany.

Thats quite an immature post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

I've got one for 196km/h.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/no-ban-for-196kmh-porsche-driver-67720.html

Not hard to extrapolate that for another 7km/h now is it. That was on a WS2 national road (the N13) and not a motorway at that. Decent lawyer, sane judge, car that can handle the speeds.
    I think the judge was extremely lenient. But I know we will differ on this.

It's not a precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Dartz

Because of my driving experience (16yrs now) and the defensive driving course I take every 3 yrs along with driving a car that is checked 3 times a day for visible defects, safety checked and serviced every 10k.

I know it's immature.

I'm immature.

I wan't to troll the hell out of this country, and the anti-speed crowd. I want to drive a car at speed... not giving any indication where.... and see what happens when the news media gets a hold of it.

Cries for blood, safety and legislation.

And most of all, I want to see what happens when it's revealed publicly, that the whole video was shot where those sort of speeds are legal, just to make those people look stupid.

I love doing it.

There is a simple reason that people think that driving over the "speed limit" means your a danger etc..yawn..etc and that is they just jump on the bandwagon and do not actually think for themselves. 200km/h or as I prefer to say 125mph is not fast but because people were always told anything over 60mph is dangerous they just take it as fact and believe it. Where in reality they have no concept of what is and is not dangerous.

Comparing speed limits which were decided when cars could hardly reach the speeds and roads which were much much worse to modern cars on modern roads shows a lack of intelligence imo

There is a simple reason that people think that driving over the "speed limit" means your a danger etc..yawn..etc and that is they just jump on the bandwagen and do not actually think for themselves. 200km/h or as I prefer to say 125mph is not fast but because people were always told anything over 60mph is dangerous they just take it as fact and believe it. Where in reality they have no concept of what is and is not dangerous.

Comparing speed limits which were decided when cars could hardly reach the speeds and roads which were much much worse to modern cars on modern roads shows a lack of intelligence imo

No lack of intelligence here but is there is lack of respect that was displayed by those drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

fair enough,though i know people driving as long as that who i wouldnt sit in a car with.can you explain the visible defects you check for,what about the ones that arent visible?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

No lack of intelligence here but is there is lack of respect that was displayed by those drivers

Lack of stealth by those drivers IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I wonder if sentences like this won't act as a perverse incentive to try and make a break for it.. seriously.

Blue lights in the mirror, 200 on the speedo and the potential of a custodial sentence.... somebody gets desperate, and somebody might give it a go and just floor it.

Already going to prison, why not take the risk?

Logically, of course, all you'd earn would be an extended sentence and piss the chasing Garda off... but it'd be hard to think logically with your freedom on the line.

Well I've never run from the Gardai, so I'm not speaking from personal experience. But I'm pretty sure they don't catch everyone. Especially those on sports bikes. I mean blue lights in mirrors, Gardai are in crappy 2.0 litre Mondeo and perp is riding 600cc or 1000cc Japanese sports bike. What would it take to disappear on a motorway? 10 to 20 seconds at full throttle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

I know it's immature.

I'm immature.

I wan't to troll the hell out of this country, and the anti-speed crowd. I want to drive a car at speed... not giving any indication where.... and see what happens when the news media gets a hold of it.

Cries for blood, safety and legislation.

And most of all, I want to see what happens when it's revealed publicly, that the whole video was shot where those sort of speeds are legal, just to make those people look stupid.

I love doing it.

Ah, but where those speeds are legal, other road users are expecting you to be coming along at those speeds, the system is set up to deal with that, and drivers organise themselves in such a way to deal with it. I've driven on the Autobahns too. Completely different to Ireland in terms of road users discipline. So you're not comparing like with like. This is Ireland, not Germany, and our roads are not race tracks. So your antics as posted above would be completely pointless. It does work in Germany. We know that. Germany is not here. And you can drive what ever speed you like on a race track. We know that.

And not every here drives modern cars. There's a lot of old cars here with suspensions battered to a pulp by our crappy roads. Potholes are extremely difficult to find in Germany. 195 km/h in a 00 Astra.... scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Well I've never run from the Gardai, so I'm not speaking from personal experience. But I'm pretty sure they don't catch everyone. Especially those on sports bikes. I mean blue lights in mirrors, Gardai are in crappy 2.0 litre Mondeo and perp is riding 600cc or 1000cc Japanese sports bike. What would it take to disappear on a motorway? 10 to 20 seconds at full throttle?

Very easy to outrun them in a sports car (eg. M3) or a high performance bike.

Omcd wrote: »
    There's a lot of old cars here with suspensions battered to a pulp by our crappy roads. Potholes are extremely difficult to find in Germany. 195 km/h in a 00 Astra.... scary.

Find me a pothole on a motorway in Ireland.

The German autobahn network has many features which would be outright banned on motorways here - mostly short merges on junctions - on both the 130km/h and unlimited sections; as well as generally using jointed concrete surfaces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

TComparing speed limits which were decided when cars could hardly reach the speeds and roads which were much much worse to modern cars on modern roads shows a lack of intelligence imo
    One thing has not changed much - the quality of driving. Just because you're an excellent driver with a doctorate and Nobel prize for advanced driving doesn't mean that you're immune from the mistakes of others. Then, part of the damage/injury equation will be your speed, no matter how safe or legal you might think it is or even if you're morally and legally blameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

gman2k wrote: »
    The law here says differently, I'll trust them over your call.
    No it doesn't.
    Driving at 200kph at 7pm and 8pm is reckless. Any person with some sort of cop on would come to that conclusion.
    You might think that, but don't expect everyone else to. I'm perfectly capable of drawing my own conclusions!
    gman2k wrote: »
    Try arguing before any judge that you were driving safely at 200kph....
    I think any judge wishing to call 203km/h in a Fiat Coupe 20VT dangerous driving should be required to undergo that experience before deciding!

Very easy to outrun them in a sports car (eg. M3) or a high performance bike.

Good vids, the Porsche sounds brilliant!

Saw this one earlier as well, quite amusing :)

• Advertisement

ninty9er wrote: »
    I think any judge wishing to call 203km/h in a Fiat Coupe 20VT dangerous driving should be required to undergo that experience before deciding!

That would be logical, can't let logic get in the way of some good hysteria now can we?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement