Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeder's get 3 months

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

ecom wrote: »
    so what do you suggest we do. Let them off with it and wait until the time they are doing 200km/hr and end up killing someone.
    Then yes, their Lives really would be ruined, as well as the lives of the people they kill, their families etc etc etc.
    It's got to be nipped in the bud before it becomes an issue.

Prevention is better than cure...blah blah blah

You could prevent all road accidents by oulawing all cars but something in a part of you brain will tell you thats not right (this is your common sense)

So enbracing this newfound brain section, if you think about the speed limit, and also other factors such as the conditions of the road, the weather conditions, the cars ability, and many others, you should be able to see that going over a speed limit is not as dangerous as the black and white nature of the law (and RSA mantra) paints it out to be! As its not as dangerous as you previously thought before you used your common sense, that makes the punishment that these people recieved, (prison for dangerous driving) unacceptably harsh.

hah, nopw you know that wouldnt be a good idea :D

Only messing!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭ecom

So enbracing this newfound brain section, if you think about the speed limit, and also other factors such as the conditions of the road, the weather conditions, the cars ability, and many others, you should be able to see that going over a speed limit is not as dangerous as the black and white nature of the law (and RSA mantra) paints it out to be! As its not as dangerous as you previously thought before you used your common sense, that makes the punishment that these people recieved, (prison for dangerous driving) unacceptably

regardless of all of that, 200km/hr is above the legal speed limit and the judge was within his rights to apply a 3 month sentence.

As an earlier poster said, break the law at your own peril.

Failing that you could always spend years trying to get the law changed if you're not happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

regardless of all of that, 200km/hr is above the legal speed limit and the judge was within his rights to apply a 3 month sentence.

As an earlier poster said, break the law at your own peril.

Failing that you could always spend years trying to get the law changed if you're not happy with it

I like how you've basically ignored everything else.

SV wrote: »
    I like how you've basically ignored everything else.

nah i've just realised I actually need to get some work done :D

but in fairness you cant ignore the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Who is right?
    Who cares who is right, anything that in any way has the potential to save lives is welcomed!

Heart problems kill more people in this country then anything else. 40% of all deaths in fact. How about I come around to your house and take away all food except veg quoting "anything that in any way has the potential to save lives is welcomed". It sounds unreasonable, doesn't it?

Perhaps like ecom here, that Judge doesn't have any understanding of the situation. To compare speed travelled on the N7 motoway to some road somewhere in Donegal shows ineptness on the Judges part.

Speeding is dangerous when it's done in the wrong place and should be punished. But in general Motorway driving is save. When its open motorway and conditions are good, and I can clearly see further then I can stop, I'd regularly and safely open up my motorbike to speeds up and beyond what those guys got sent to jail for.

As an aside, it seems to me that the Gardai only get out of their car and check for speeding when the conditions are favourible for people to go faster then normal. Perhaps they don't like checking speeds when its damp out (they could get wet!) - where there really is a danger? Or maybe they are purposefully going to these places at times that allow people to safely traval faster then normal so the gardai can catch them at it and generate some revenue.

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Heart problems kill more people in this country then anything else. 40% of all deaths in fact. How about I come around to your house and take away all food except veg quoting "anything that in any way has the potential to save lives is welcomed". It sounds unreasonable, doesn't it?

because food isnt illegal
    RoadRunner wrote: »
    Perhaps like ecom here, that Judge doesn't have any understanding of the situation. To compare speed travelled on the N7 motoway to some road somewhere in Donegal shows ineptness on the Judges part.

Speeding is dangerous when it's done in the wrong place and should be punished.

why are people finding it so difficult to understand that breaking the speed limit is breaking the law? nothing you say is going to change that fact.

so you either need to live with the law and deal with the consequences, or lobby for change if you are not happy

I'm not comparing speed on any roads.
    I expressed my opinion that 200km/hr is very fast.
    I also pointed out that the Judge handed down a sentence that was within the law.

Not a thing we can do about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Well that's that then. Surely if something is the way it is, then we can have no discussion about whether it is the way it should be :rolleyes:

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

The introduction of the penalty point system and the resultant adherance to speed limits (for a few weeks anyway) made for a very significant reduction (61%, page 4 of pdf link) of facial reconstruction operations resulting from RTA's.

Evidence is here.

http://www.rte.ie/news/features/roadsafety/publications/MaxillofacialInjuries.pdf

Read it, and see if you can argue that there is no corelation between speed limits and accidents.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

because food isnt illegal

Neither is driving a car. :rolleyes:

Both have the potential to kill you is the poster's point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ...stephen...

Look its silly!. First thing he wAS not driving fast!! I drove across europe.... and for **** sake what is the problem with ireland... we drive to slow on decent roads and to fast on bad ones.(people have to move on from speed kills) its not speed its where and when. we drove at around 100 to 120 mph everywhere on the motorway in europe...... And wants you come back to ireland and see some muppet doing 60 mph in the fast lane its silly, but yes i have to take into account the car etc. we drove a 2008 mercedes e class. And at those speeds the car had no problem staying steady. its built for it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

ninty9er wrote: »
    Although in fairness 192 km/h in a 00 Astra...I'd have asked for a calibration on the hairdryer because I KNOW my car can't go that fast and in general these things have smaller engines than mine. It would certainly require a lot more concentration and physical stamina to drive an Astra at that speed than a Fiat Coupe.

Take it from someone who knows: Mk3/4 Astras are insane motorway munchers. They're more than happy to sit at the very top of their range for ages on end than the vast majority of cars. My ancient Mk3 could happily cruise around 160kph with a 36bhp 1.4 powerplant (on a quiet motorway, and no, I didn't make a habit of driving that fast!). That's the top speed for said powerplant. And it would feel utterly composed in a way my current Focus wouldn't at just 130kph :o I can easily see a Mk4 with a 1.6 engine cruising at 190kph. It'd probably be safer than a Micra at 60kph :P

And yeah, anything over 160kph even on a motorway is quickly heading into La-La-Land, but while they more than deserved punishment what they got was too much, too soon. Now they'll just add unneccesarily to the dole queues :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Christ, can't we just have one speeding-related thread that doesn't go full retard?

The stupidity of the drivers in this case is matched only by the stupidity of the judge with sentencing that is completely disproportionate to the offence.

Prison, ffs :eek: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ...stephen...

Okay, but does cars it is crazy...! they are built for notting. they are slow ****. uncomfortable. and if you crash well. your dead. the merc at those speeds its grand and dont talk to be aboout the range rover, at around 110mph you would not even no your over 50mph if your compare it to a corsa any ways

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Huh?

Although you're probably right about the older-model Corsas, not a big fan TBH. They seem to fold like tinfoil...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This thread is just silly at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭Damien360

This is way off topic. Can a mod put it out of it's misery please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Damien360 wrote: »
    This is way off topic. Can a mod put it out of it's misery please

This might help.....Anyone have any thoughts on that the driver worked in the private sector and the Gardi&Judge work in the public sector?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Come on Mods. This topic has 22 pages without much moding but it really has run its course. Which seems to be round and round and round and round with the same boring arguments.

Time to lock it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Locked due to public demand...

If anyone has a justifiable reason to re-open the thread, PM me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement