Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

And as for the insurance question Jimmy, insurance companies will try their best to not pay out a claim so i dunnno, is freezing water an act of god?

Depends which God you believe in, certainly not the act of the Retro God :(

He could operate out of his bedroom, posting everything from an online website for all I care, but letting Rage die would be a sin!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

a terrible one indeed, sure the chaps got an account on boards, im sure he'll let us know if he's willing to do some internet sales with the a&r forum

a terrible one indeed, sure the chaps got an account on boards, im sure he'll let us know if he's willing to do some internet sales with the a&r forum

Well I suggested to him before about becoming an active Adverts merchant, meaning he could sell everything online & use postage. I think it's a no-brainer as he'd be open to the whole country rather than just Dublin...but he never replied :(

He could also have his own site designed, & do something similar. The demand is there, of that there can be no doubt, it's whether he was making decent profit that will deem if he sees it necessary to have a rebirth as such. Of course, this is all assuming the current shop is doomed, it may yet be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Can a mod move this to the RAGE thread? It's all off topic, including my posts, so best to clean it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

According to the Rage facebook page the shop is closed and the builders are in, so hopefully we'll see a new, improved, damp-proof Rage in the near future!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Can a mod move this to the RAGE thread? It's all off topic, including my posts, so best to clean it up.

Not that off topic, it concerns one of the best bricks and mortar places to buy retro games, so it can stay.

There are not so many posts and posters here that things will get confused.

So carry on folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Retr0 got me Pokémon Crystal for Christmas ~<3
    can't wait to start it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

And sera got me Grim Fandango! ~<3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Sera wrote: »
    Retr0 got me Pokémon Crystal for Christmas ~<3
    can't wait to start it
    Retr0gamer wrote: »

Disgusting!!;)

Retr0gamer wrote: »

What you and sera do with your Fandango is your own business, grim or otherwise...

Just, don't leave a mess

That is all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Total randomness, was up all night trying to get an MSX emu running on the n-gage, got the emu up but couldn't get any roms working.

So today I head in to a local Charity Shop, and find two MSX games! I'd never seen an MSX game before! Pitfall II and Decathalon for a euro.

What bothers me is what happened to the Machine itself?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Pah too much chat and not enough pics. :p
    Here's a few items I got recently, nothing special really. Giant pics ahead. :)

gameso.jpg

amigaaction.jpg

Took these pics of Gloom for o1s1n seeing as you mentioned this game to me a while back, must try and get hold if it. Lol at the second opinion!

gloom1.jpg
    gloom2.jpg

November 1983 issue of C&VG:

cvg1.jpg
    cvg3.jpg
    cvg4.jpg
    cvg6.jpg
    cvg5.jpg

Lot of pages of code in the mag:
    cvg7.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Picked up g police and colony wars on the PS today

That mag stash is awesome sauce! Amazeballs even!

I used to have a ton of C&VG mags from back in the day, 84/85, good times!
    They reinvented it in the later years of the 80's and it wasn't as good at all, and the 90's stuff was brutal.

Single format mags simply ruled in those days, Megatech was a favourite.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

sugarman wrote: »
    capel street by any chance?

Yes! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Single format mags simply ruled in those days, Megatech was a favourite.

I loved Commodore Format. Got virtually every issue from issue 5 that came with the Viz demo right up until the Mayhem In Monsterland era.

My other favourite I had almost every issue of was Super Play. That magazine got me in to manga and anime and only enhanced my love for all things Japanese.

Went through a mag drought for about 10 or 15 years (maybe more) buying nothing at all just reading online. Now I read Edge, Retro Gamer and the official XBOX 360 magazine occasionally. The majority of my reading though is still done online. €7 or so a pop is rather expensive for a monthly I feel.

Super Play was great, I think I have an issue somewhere, very funny indeed.
    I only read Edge, not enough time or money to be buying several mags a month, also I hang onto them, so I have a corner in the attic filled with about 15 years of Edge mags, thinking "I'll read them all someday again", good reference material, although it's always fun to read the previews of the new N64 console that was on the way, or the soon to be tapped potential of the N-gage!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,446 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd love to build up a back catalog of classic games mags but my magazine quota has already been filled by 2000AD. I decided a few years ago that it would be a good idea to try and fill in my collection of a comic that has been released weekly since 1977. Almost have a complete run from present back to 83. That's one for every week all the way back to the early 80's. It has become quite the fire hazzard!

I had a big box of ps1 era games mags in my parents but I'm not sure if they're still there. Fingers crossed they weren't thrown out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've a tonne of Official PS1 mags, CVG and GamesMaster mags as well as the Official Irish PS1 Mags from about 1997-2001 or so with all the demo discs. Can't wait to play through 'em! I remember getting more time out of the Metal Gear Solid demo than I did out of some full games :D

I've got about 10-15 old megadrive and multi format games mags from 92 and 93 that my cousin gave to me. Really awesome to look back and see previews for games like sonic 2 and stuff.

• Advertisement

2000AD!
    I used to love that comic!
    The I just got interested in the handful of stories they ran, so I have the ABC Warriors and Nemesis stuff in collected, large format form, the stuff Titan Books used to put out.
    Also had D.R. and Quinch somewhere, as well as Halo Jones.
    Also followed some of the Dredd tales, Mechanismo, Judge Child, the one where Dredd fought with the zombie Dredd, all good!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Super Play was great, I think I have an issue somewhere, very funny indeed.

Fantastic magazine. All of future publishings magazines were excellent back then. Sega Power and Gamesmaster back then were great as was PC Gamer and all shared staff. Mean Machines was good as well and for a while I bought Sega Zone which was great. All the magazines now are so poo-faced and serious that a lot of the time they are boring to read. There was a sense of fun to those old magazines that is lost in the new magazines. It seemed like everyone working on them was just having fun and milking the fact that they were getting paid to play videogames. N-gamer is the only new magazien that comes close and it's a shame it's Nintendo only because if it was multiformat I'd buy it religiously like I do Retrogamer, which in my mind is the best print magazine available at the moment. One of the HG101 contributors used to work for them and said that the magazine has only 3 people full time on it and a few freelancers all working for a little more than the minimum wage. You can tell that the guys are only doing it for the love of old gaming and it shows through with the quality of the finished article.

Master of the Universe

2000AD!
    I used to love that comic!

I thought you might have read it growing up when I saw that Joe Pineapples poster ;)

I've bought a good bit of original art over the years, don't know if I ever showed you? My prized posession is the black and white 7th picture down, a page by Johnny Hicklenton from Nemesis: The Two Torquemadas. A month after I bought it he died of MS. :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65425644&postcount=20

He made a documentary while he was dying called 'Here's Johnny!'. Was broadcast on Channel 4. Really is an amazing watch. Heartbreaking though.

The Two Torquemadas, that was a very weird series right there, art was incredible though.

I spent much of my teens drawing Nemesis, The Blitzspear, MekQuake, Torque-Armada, I did a lovely pencil version of the Danse Macabre scene from book 2.
    Good times!

Oops, just realised this is the get something new thread (thought it was general) - sorry about the Nintendo Power link, just the mag talk reminded me of it :o

EnterNow wrote: »
    Oops, just realised this is the get something new thread (thought it was general) - sorry about the Nintendo Power link, just the mag talk reminded me of it :o

Ah it's grand, sure I go around spouting off topic nonsense everywhere :)

Master of the Universe

To try to help things get back on topic, here's a list of stuff I currently have in transit across the globe -

Chrono Cross clock
    Candy Cab
    Two copies of Pier Solar
    4 SPDT switches
    20 2.k ohm resistors
    10 cr2032 battery holders
    A Sega Nomad Bag (!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

on the way also i have

Nes Zapper Gun finally!

Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja Boxed
    Boulder Dash Boxed
    SuperSpike V Ball Complete
    Low G Man complete
    Top Gun Complete
    Super Mario 3 Complete
    all on the NES

I also have this on the way for the Jukebox im putting into my arcade cab
    Rii-2-4GHz-Wireless-Mini-Keyboard-Touchpad-Mouse-Laser-Presenter-Combo.jpg

was sent on 6th of December but still hasnt arrived yet!

Plus i opened up the second Astro wars the other half got me for xmas and tried it out, put in the batterys and it plays the music really low for a bit then goes off, screen doesnt come on. the case on it was in better condition then the one that works so i took it apart and put the better case on the working one :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Here's a picture of some of the stuff I got from one of the lists I was sent before Christmas. Everything from the NTSC N64 was boxed (bar the controllers) and the SNES games were in really good condition, the boxes are almost like new, I had no pictures when I bought them but it's great when you get something in such good condition. I wonder if they were ever even used.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement