Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

keithgeo wrote: »
    the red one has the original donkey kong on it, I bought herself Animal crossing the city with Wii speak on it for Mothers day, I cant go into the sitting room now without her and her sister talking over the speak thing about what fish they just caught or outfit they bought.

Hack that bad boy & remove all traces of it. Install RE4 & listen to different kinds of squeaks :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Its on my list of things to do, although when she put in that animal crossing it updated the wii i think so not sure where i stand on that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Its on my list of things to do, although when she put in that animal crossing it updated the wii i think so not sure where i stand on that now.
    I think you can still hack it anyway. Even on the latest version of the software. I have a hacked white Wii with an internal hardrive on firmware 4.2 I think. And a black Wii with a WODE on 4.2 as well. 4.3 is the latest last time I checked and is still very hackable.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Dude, thats a lot of Wii!

Ill have to check out the firmware on mine.

Dude, thats a lot of Wii!

Ha, yeah. I have a Wii problem :D

The white one with the hard drive is the main one for Wii games, emulators, homebrew etc. The black one with the WODE is just for playing the Gamecube disc images and the new red one is just for having a red one :D

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    Ha, yeah. I have a Wii problem :D

The white one with the hard drive is the main one for Wii games, emulators, homebrew etc. The black one with the WODE is just for playing the Gamecube disc images and the new red one is just for having a red one :D

4.3 is exploitable, but you need a Lego game to do it (Lego Indy/Batman etc).

Steve, whats a WODE?? :o

EnterNow wrote: »

Steve, whats a WODE?? :o

WODE= Wii Optical Drive Emulator

Handy little thing.

http://www.wodejukebox.com/wodestandard.php

wode_black_1.png

You hack it with Super Smash Brothers Brawl as well so maybe more people have that game than the Lego games. Although those Lego games are actually a bit of a laugh.

WODE= Wii Optical Drive Emulator

Handy little thing.

http://www.wodejukebox.com/wodestandard.php

wode_black_1.png

Wow, very impressive little device! Might pick one of them up :)

Wow, very impressive little device! Might pick one of them up :)

Yeah, and they update the firmware all the time to fix and bugs and add loads of features, like streaming ISO's over the network and all sorts of funky stuff.

• Advertisement

Yeah, and they update the firmware all the time to fix and bugs and add loads of features, like streaming ISO's over the network and all sorts of funky stuff.

Ugh, sounds very very cool. I love the idea of GC game images being played through it, afaik that can't be done on a normally modified Wii without an extra adaptpr (could be a Gecko?)

Ugh, sounds very very cool. I love the idea of GC game images being played through it, afaik that can't be done on a normally modified Wii without an extra adaptpr (could be a Gecko?)

You can play gamecube games using the gamecube backup loader on a modded Wii. It's not great though to be honest. The Wode plays them perfectly as its a virtual drive so the Wii just thinks it's a Gamecube disc and does its thing.

This vid is a bit old as they have updated the menu and how it works since then to be a bit nicer. It shows the onscreen menu and how you can just pick a Wii or GC game and play.

Edit:
    You can play backup discs on the GC backup loader, not ISO's. So yeah not sure how you load ISO's on a soft modded Wii.

Yeah I knew you can play burned discs, but ISO's can't be played because when the Wii goes into GC mode, it switches off the usb ports (as the GC didn't have USB).

I think the Gecko might be able to do it though, I know there's a POC way of doing it anyway. The WODE way is much better though by emulating a drive.

Yeah I knew you can play burned discs, but ISO's can't be played because when the Wii goes into GC mode, it switches off the usb ports (as the GC didn't have USB).

I think the Gecko might be able to do it though, I know there's a POC way of doing it anyway. The WODE way is much better though by emulating a drive.

Yeah, I kind of missed that you said GC images instead of discs.

Installing the WODE is so handy as well. Anyone can do it even without any modding experience. Take off the cover, hook it up(without soldering) and put cover back on, connect the WODE base and off you go. No software hacking or anything. It's not a perfect device but its totally worth it for the GC playback alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

That WODE is a pretty nifty piece of equipment. I've pretty much ever GC game I have ever wanted so not much use to me but it might be any easier way to play the fan translation of Fatal Frame 4 which seems a pain to get running.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That WODE is a pretty nifty piece of equipment. I've pretty much ever GC game I have ever wanted so not much use to me but it might be any easier way to play the fan translation of Fatal Frame 4 which seems a pain to get running.

Plus if you ripped your games, it'll save wearing out the laser etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah, that Wii laser is shockingly bad. Well at least I've still got my Gamecube for the gamecube games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Yeah, that Wii laser is shockingly bad. Well at least I've still got my Gamecube for the gamecube games.

The laser in those is better than the Wii, but they still fail unfortunately :( Well all lasers fail, just the Wii fails QUICKLY in some cases.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

I was at a stag weekend on saturday and a mate gave me this (as he knows I collect any kind of retro gaming)
    th_442968aa.jpg
    Oh and not gaming related , but I got one of these for a tenner in easons
    last week ,
    800px-Big_trak_white_background.jpg
    Its pretty much the same as the original 80's one (bar being a bit lighter ) ,always wanted one as a kid but Santa never brought one :(

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Which Easons ???? I asked the misses for one for christmas, got me a Kinect and fighters uncaged instead........I WANT A BIGTRACK Wahhhhhhh Wahhhhhhh.:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Which Easons ???? I asked the misses for one for christmas, got me a Kinect and fighters uncaged instead........I WANT A BIGTRACK Wahhhhhhh Wahhhhhhh.:D

the one in blanch , it was on a table with a load of other stuff being sold off, and about four crossed out price stickers going from 40 quid down to 9.99 ;)
    not sure if theres others but you could ring them and check

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Finally found my damn screwdrivers that had been missing a few weeks. So what does that mean? It means time to give my Everdrive PCB a home!

Thought I'd take some pictures along the way.

I started with a crappy golf game. Can't remember what it was before I tore the label off. Nothing worth noting or caring about. PGA something or other. If anything, tearing the label off was kind of nice, as it showed me how damn stubborn those things are. :)

Start.jpg

So time to get that worthless piece of rubbish game out of there and something decent in. Hmm, it had a backup ability. That's actually kind of interesting...

Inprogress0.jpg

Anyway! game out, and we're left with this.

inprogress3.jpg

As you can see, the PCB fits perfectly...just the SD card and pause button stick out the top.

Inprogress1.jpg

DSC_0995.jpg

The cart shell hacking begins. I worked from the halves out. I wanted to cut holes, but it's very hard to judge where the pause button and sd card need to come through. So this is by far the easiest way.

DSC_0997.jpg

while I was screwing it back together, the halves weren't meeting easily. So in the end a little bit more came away then needed. Better to be safe than sorry. Would be nothing worse than snapping the SD card holder off while screwing it closed.

Anyway, here's the finished article with the label stuck on. I quite like the label, has a nice prototype look to it or something -

Everdrivefinished1.jpg

Also got an inlay with it too -

Everdrivefinished2.jpg

Everdrivefinished3.jpg

I'm pleased enough with the end result. Could neaten the holes up a bit more, but I think I'll leave it as is.

Edit, forgot the most important picture of all, Nomad running an uber rare game outside :D

DSC_1001.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bought a boxed copy of Micro Machines for the MD in the R to the AGE today.

NOSTALGIA. SERIOUS BUSINESS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    Finally found my damn screwdrivers that had been missing a few weeks. So what does that mean? It means time to give my Everdrive PCB a home!

Inprogress1.jpg

DSC_0995.jpg

Nicely done dude. What's the story with the SMS pause button above though - the first pic it looks like a black piece is missing from inside the little metal casing, but in the second pic its there? :confused: Did you have to put that in or are my eyes deceiving me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Nicely done dude. What's the story with the SMS pause button above though - the first pic it looks like a black piece is missing from inside the little metal casing, but in the second pic its there? :confused: Did you have to put that in or are my eyes deceiving me?

It's there, just the shot is at an odd angle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

You're right Andrew it's really freaky one minute it's there, next it's not odd!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

It's there, just the shot is at an odd angle :)

Just looked at it again, you're right it is there. It looks like the underneath of the metal part rather that the black piece. Just the angle as you say. Mystery solved. :)

Master of the Universe

Haha! That is weird. I didn't do anything with it at all, so it is indeed some kind of optical illusion.

So nice to finally have that in a case. Was a bit freaked out using just a PCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭ondafly

@o1s1n - how is your Nomad screen so clear ? mines nowhere near as good :(

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

ondafly wrote: »
    @o1s1n - how is your Nomad screen so clear ? mines nowhere near as good :(

Enternow modded it for me with a new LCD screen I bought from Dealextreme. It's a perfect replacement but looks a billion times better. No ghosting, no colour wash out and crystal clear picture.

He also did the battery pack mod on it too. So with the new lower power draining screen and the high capacity battery, the thing seems to run forever.

It's a shame the technology wasn't about in the 90s to make it like this in the first place.

Edit - forgot to mention, I also did a very minor mod to the Nomad cart slot while the dremmel was out. There are two little tabs on either side, something like what the PAL Megadrive has to stop you inserting Japanese games.

If you shave off a tiny fraction of these, Japanese games will then insert perfectly. I would have completely removed them but the cart slot door springs back up and seems to touch them..so I was unsure if they played some part in keeping it closed. But definitely worth doing if you have Japanese carts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement