Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pyongyang wrote: »
    I confess to knowing absolutely zip about Braid. Is it worthing getting while on discount?

YES!

And yes again!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Limbo is the companion piece. Braid is a far far superior game.

Meh, Limbo was more atmospheric and more fun. Braid might be clever with it's use of rewinding time but it stopped being fun for me very quickly. It's a good game though, especially for those arty farty types who want to promote games as art at every chance. ;)
    Limbo > Super Meat Boy > Braid.

Yes Pyongyang, it's still worth getting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Take away the graphic style and for me Limbo was very underwhelming and some of the trial and error stuff was just bad design. There was nothing really that clever about the puzzles. Braids puzzles on the other hand were inspired, and that ending...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Limbo > Super Meat Boy > Braid.

I got bored of the Super Meat Boy demo very quickly. The annoyance of having to be so precise with the controls got right on my jabs! If you rate Braid worse than that then I might not like it... :confused:

I'm still waiting for Radiant Silvergun on XBLA. I hear that's coming this month and the ESRB has gone through now apparently. Here's hoping (same with Raiden Fighters retail on 360).

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I got bored of the Super Meat Boy demo very quickly. The annoyance of having to be so precise with the controls got right on my jabs! If you rate Braid worse than that then I might not like it... :confused:

I've been playing Super Meat Boy on my pc with the keyboard arrow buttons and spacebar. It's insane...but a king of 'just one more go'.
    I'm still waiting for Radiant Silvergun on XBLA. I hear that's coming this month and the ESRB has gone through now apparently. Here's hoping (same with Raiden Fighters retail on 360).

I didn't know Raiden Fighters was getting an EU release?! Oh man, I've been waiting ages to play that.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    I didn't know Raiden Fighters was getting an EU release?! Oh man, I've been waiting ages to play that.

Yep it's on Amazon for about £14 I think. I've had it on my wishlist since Yuri Gagarin made his trip in to space it's been delayed that long.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Andrew76 wrote: »
    It's a good game though, especially for those arty farty types who want to promote games as art at every chance. ;)

No bad thing :P

They're both fine games, although I'd put Braid on top too. The puzzles are real head scratchers at times, and never has a game's ending felt so powerful - probably the best closing level of a game I've played. Limbo though has a tonne of atmosphere, and some great puzzles, but I did think it actually lost steam over its brief running time. In short, though, play both!

I'm actually close to the end of Super Meat Boy - well, 'light world' end. It's a tough bastard, but barring a few exceptions failings are generally down to you and not the designers, which is the way it should be.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Each to their own I guess, I liked the retro vibe of Super Meat Boy even if I wasn't brilliant at it. Is there a demo for Braid you could try out? It is a good game and very well received by the majority, I just found Limbo more fun, that's just me. Never got to the end of Braid unfortunately so missed out on the ending others have mentioned (I don't want to know what it was either incase I go back!).

Yep it's on Amazon for about £14 I think. I've had it on my wishlist since Yuri Gagarin made his trip in to space it's been delayed that long.

About time. I remember when I first got my 360 and downloading a video preview of the game, over 4 years ago. Had given up on it ever coming out.

I guess we can thank Deathsmiles for showing there's a market for these games. It's been topping the sales charts of some online retailers most weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They had a load of copies of Deathsmiles in HMV Grafton street for €30 yesterday. Was Really great seeing a shooter being pushed that much.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    They had a load of copies of Deathsmiles in HMV Grafton street for €30 yesterday. Was Really great seeing a shooter being pushed that much.

If you were in there around lunchtime, so was I! I was looking for an EX2 stick.

I love Deathsmiles. Such an amazing game, even better now with my stick! Shame HMV want €30 though. It's only £12 online. Nice to see the promotion of it though. Apparently the sales of Deathsmiles in the EU have been really good so hopefully Cave and Rising Star (and other houses) will sit up and take notice that a lot of people have a serious addiction to Japanese SHMUP's! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I love Deathsmiles. Such an amazing game, even better now with my stick! Shame HMV want €30 though. It's only £12 online. Nice to see the promotion of it though. Apparently the sales of Deathsmiles in the EU have been really good so hopefully Cave and Rising Star (and other houses) will sit up and take notice that a lot of people have a serious addiction to Japanese SHMUP's! :)

It's funny, I've been using my Hori stick for schmups for around two years, but Mega Black Label dual stick controls are so engrained in my mind now I just stick with the standard analogue stick a lot of the time in DS.

Sacrilege!

They better get off their ass and release Death Smiles 2 soon though :)

Hori sticks aren't the best though. Mod it with a seimetsu stick and you'll notice a difference, it's what the experts prefer for shmups.

It's funny, I've been using my Hori stick for schmups for around two years, but Mega Black Label dual stick controls are so engrained in my mind now I just stick with the standard analogue stick a lot of the time in DS.

Sacrilege!

They better get off their ass and release Death Smiles 2 soon though :)

I can't believe I haven't bought an arcade stick sooner. Glad I got the EX2 though. €29.99 was a bargain for it (£48 on Amazon). Once I start getting used to it I'll look to upgrade it to a seriously OTT pro one and pretend I'm brilliant at games! :D

Is DS II not region free? I spent hours trawling through Play Asia recently trying to find region free SHMUP's that are wallet friendly. Ended up getting Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 and that was it. The postage on Play Asia is horrendous if you order more than one item.

Hori sticks aren't the best though. Mod it with a seimetsu stick and you'll notice a difference, it's what the experts prefer for shmups.

I'd like to mod it myself with Sanwa kit but my soldering skills are utterly terrifying. Does anyone do stick mods in Dublin?

edit: The equivalent of my soldering skills:

Nope DSII isn't region free - I'm fairly sure they region lock whatever games they think there might be a market for abroad. Hence why Muchi Muchi Pork is region free :P

You'll enjoy Mushi 1.5, the best vertical Cave game I've played, even above DoDonPachi and co.

I'd like to mod it myself with Sanwa kit but my soldering skills are utterly terrifying. Does anyone do stick mods in Dublin?

Well I told everyone to stay away from the Hori sticks and get the street fighter sticks since they are so easy to mod, no soldering at all. If you want someone to mod your stick ask in the fighting games forum. K.O.kiki is the expert in all things joystick and he might still be doing joystick mods.

Well I told everyone to stay away from the Hori sticks and get the street fighter sticks since they are so easy to mod, no soldering at all. If you want someone to mod your stick ask in the fighting games forum. K.O.kiki is the expert in all things joystick and he might still be doing joystick mods.

Sounds like a plan! That said, would it be just as good getting used to my EX2 and then upgrading further down the line to a pro stick? When the figures start getting silly for them I'm at a loss to know what's good and what isn't.

Thanks for the tip though, I might just see if I can get some info on stick modders in Ireland who could help me out. :)

Well I worked it out at 60 euros for full button and joysticks to be bought and shipped to ireland. So with the cost of a fight stick you might be better off getting a cheap championship edition stick which has full Sanwa parts, although with SSF4 AE on the way these might go up in price.

It's a lot of money to pay so unless you are flush for cash then I'd say stick with the Hori.

Well I worked it out at 60 euros for full button and joysticks to be bought and shipped to ireland. So with the cost of a fight stick you might be better off getting a cheap championship edition stick which has full Sanwa parts, although with SSF4 AE on the way these might go up in price.

It's a lot of money to pay so unless you are flush for cash then I'd say stick with the Hori.

Thanks for the sensible advice. I'll probably stick with stock EX2 for now as I'm still learning to use it properly. Although if using stock Hori parts 'cripples' the experience extensively enough to warrant an upgraded EX2 or a new stick altogether then I'll go for it. Especially with bullet hell where precise control is essential.

• Advertisement

Don't worry, cripple it most certainly does not. For most casual to middling players it will do just fine. Nice to have a really good stick, but the Horizon is most certainly well above standard DPad quality.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nice to hear Raiden Fighters is on the way, I love the first two in the series, playing them to death with the Raiden Project on the PS.
    Love that great big Pink Homing Laser, it deserves to be capitalised it is so awesome!

Don't worry, cripple it most certainly does not. For most casual to middling players it will do just fine. Nice to have a really good stick, but the Horizon is most certainly well above standard DPad quality.

Unfortunately those Hori parts will wear out pretty quickly which is why it's best to have an easily upgradeable stick like the fight stick.

I had a look at the mod for the Hori EX2 and to be honest the soldering involved is very easy to do if you ever did want to have a go. There's good tutorials online.

I had a look at the mod for the Hori EX2 and to be honest the soldering involved is very easy to do if you ever did want to have a go. There's good tutorials online.

I've seen those too and I politely refer you to the YouTube video I posted demonstrating my soldering skills. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Going to collect CastleVania Aria of Sorrown and Dawn of Sorrow this evening from a nice chap off Adverts:D

pdbhp wrote: »
    Going to collect CastleVania Aria of Sorrown and Dawn of Sorrow this evening from a nice chap off Adverts:D

That guy never showed up when I went to buy them off him back in maybe November! The dastard!

That guy never showed up when I went to buy them off him back in maybe November! The dastard!

Didn't bother going now because he was trying to get me to meet him in some ridiculous place which was not the place we had agreed on

pdbhp wrote: »
    Didn't bother going now because he was trying to get me to meet him in some ridiculous place which was not the place we had agreed on

Yeah not only did he not show up, but never made much effort to arrange an alternate meeting (not that I was too eager then anyway!). Poor show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Just got the retro-tastic Pix'n Love Rush on PSN, its one of the minis title and is amazing, fine on the psp but in the PS3 the visuals are hd, and what visuals!
    It's pixel art is inspired, looking like the classic Gameboy one level, another like the Virtual Boy, superb

• Advertisement

Yeah not only did he not show up, but never made much effort to arrange an alternate meeting (not that I was too eager then anyway!). Poor show.

Damn, I'm trying to meet him this evening, I hope he's not a spoofer cos I really want those games to add to the pile

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement