Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just got a still sealed in box Game Boy pocket (clear version) for 20 euro from Amazon.

This version of the game boy included 2 AAA batteries in the box. I mention this as when I opened up the box(which was still sealed on both ends with Nintendo tape as it should be) I took out the game boy and it is fine and indeed never used. Unfortunately the batteries had leaked and started to eat away at the plastic wrap that was around them.

Everything was fine and the game boy and manuals were untouched.

Something to look out for when you like to get stuff still sealed in the box like I do, if it came with batteries that is.

Anyone else ever had this problem with anything old that included batteries in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭yrwhu8jxtni06a

Steve SI wrote: »
    Anyone else ever had this problem with anything old that included batteries in the box.

Yes from anything from asia,i assume the air pressure from flight or cheap batteries,also not good idea to mix old and new batteries,they can leak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Speaking of leaking batteries, the Ni/Cd battery on Andrews ram expansion board (A500) is now made of fur :( Horrible corrosive fur.

I've a replacement socket & coin battery en route to replace it with though.

As we're seeing more & more, you don't need to actually see visible problems on screen to conclude your console is in need or repair. If this was left much longer, it would have ruined the expansion board, without any warning :)

EnterNow wrote: »
    Speaking of leaking batteries, the Ni/Cd battery on Andrews ram expansion board (A500) is now made of fur :( Horrible corrosive fur.

Its an A500+ right?,batt in a metal casing yes?,most batts on mig where useless only to save time and date so work fine without them :) .

Its an A500+ right?,batt in a metal casing yes?,most batts on mig where useless only to save time and date so work fine without them :) .

I think its a 500+, its a small little expansion board with an off-on switch on it? But the battery isn't in a metal casing, its soldered directly to the board at each pole. Like a giant round capacitor for want of a better description. I wasn't sure what the hell it was for so for the sake of a few Euro I just said I'd get a replacement :)

• Advertisement

"A500 plus" be written on case badge,or could be a common A500 ram expansion with dreaded battery,depending on the A500 it be same as your A600 chipset wise despite the big case and numpad.

"A500 plus" be written on case badge,or could be a common A500 ram expansion with dreaded battery,depending on the A500 it be same as your A600 chipset wise.

Andrew will know for sure (its back in its box awaiting some French caps :D) but I think its a 500 with the expansion, as opposed to a Plus?

Horrible looking battery covered in corrosive fur...looks like its about to explode (though I know it wont :)). Is it just for the date/time etc? Ouch, would have been a costly leak just to tell the time!

Is it just for the date/time etc? Ouch, would have been a costly leak just to tell the time!
    Yes was novelty years ago to have time/date correct,not like now when used to timemark installations etc,not unique to amiga,usually anything 10+ year old with a battery is due for a change,you could come across old apple comps needing bats removed/renewed.

Yes was novelty years ago to have time/date correct,not like now when used to timemark installations etc,not unique to amiga,usually anything 10+ year old with a battery is due for a change,you could come across old apple comps needing bats removed/renewed.

Indeed :)

I must also run through all my carts now that they're out & see what needs batteries replaced. No rest for the wicked.

My macintosh classic needs a new battery as well. It uses the battery to keep the date and time and also the control panel settings like brightness etc, which is a pain.

I can live with the wrong time but having to adjust the brightness every boot is a pain in the bum.

• Advertisement

Steve SI wrote: »
    My macintosh classic needs a new battery as well. It uses the battery to keep the date and time and also the control panel settings like brightness etc, which is a pain.

I can live with the wrong time but having to adjust the brightness every boot is a pain in the bum.

Just checked lowenmac site about your model-
    http://lowendmac.com/compact/macintosh-classic.html

Uses an 3.6v battery,put it into ebay,get it cheap,don't need to buy the "apple" ones.

Just checked lowenmac site about your model-
    http://lowendmac.com/compact/macintosh-classic.html

Uses an 3.6v battery,put it into ebay,get it cheap,don't need to buy the "apple" ones.

Yeah I know the type it needs alright. I've just been putting it off. It would be hard to find the official apple one anyway :)

Those 3.6v batts are fairly common anyway as they are used in a few things. I just need to bite the bullet and get one.

Maybe I'm subconsciously waiting for the Mac classic to die as I can make a very large retro iPad dock out of it :D

macintosh_ipad_mod_2.jpg

Dunno about you but i found apple stuff better built than of the mig stuff of the same era.

Dunno about you but i found apple stuff better built than of the mig stuff of the same era.

Yeah, I think your probably right. The mac classic build quality is still rock solid after all these years. I picked this one up a couple months ago, it was built in Ireland in the early 90's. The only problem with it is the yellowing case and a few goes with some home made Retr0Bright mix is slowly bringing it back to its former glory without stripping the plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,475 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Found a Jaguar RGB cable on ebay.fr for €23 delivered. Happy enough with that given the price of the others. It says in the auction that it supports rgb (and there's a composite out half way up the cable) so fingers crossed it's the real deal. The Jag RF is really killing me!

/Edit - Enternow, if you're still looking for one, something that may help is the word 'peritel' is French for scart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Picked up a boxed copy of Pilotwings for the Snes for €7.50 today. Been playing it for the last while, tis great fun. :) Can any of the resident experts here tell me if Super Ghouls and Ghosts is any good? I've played the prequels as a youngster but I can't remember much. Am I right in saying that they're hard as nails?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Super Ghouls n'Ghosts is fantastic. It's a bit easier than Ghouls n'Ghosts but still and utter utter whore of a game to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Might pick it up next time I'm in the shop then. Awesome soundtrack from what clips I've just watched on youtube. I saw one highest-rated comment that said:
    This game teabags you til you cry, no joke
    :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty much sums it up. First level is evil hard. Even saying that the difficulty curve going from stage 1 to stage to is like running straight into a brick wall. I'ts doable and fair but takes a lot of skill and practice to beat. I should know, I've beaten it and have 1 credited the original ghouls n'ghosts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Andrew will know for sure (its back in its box awaiting some French caps :D) but I think its a 500 with the expansion, as opposed to a Plus?

Horrible looking battery covered in corrosive fur...looks like its about to explode (though I know it wont :)). Is it just for the date/time etc? Ouch, would have been a costly leak just to tell the time!

Just saw this now, yep it's an A500 with the 1/2meg expansion to bump it up to a whopping 1 meg. As far as I remember anyway. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Picked up Metroid - Nes Classic for the GBA Advance & Pokemon Gold for the Gameboy yesterday, both unboxed. Found them in that 3DGames shop on Grafton Street. It has a decent enough selection I think but some of the prices are a bit much (Street Fighter Alpha Anthology for PS2 €25?).

A while ago I posted that I have the original box for Pokemon Gold (everything including the small plastic bag it came in) but not the game as I foolishly lent it to my cousin years ago. Now I have the complete package!

Now it's off to find a cartridge for Pokemon Red...

Well there you go, the cheap €4 Italian scart adaptors turned out to be the legit, Madcatz ones :cool::cool::cool: Chuffed I am, as they don't make these anymore, at least I couldn't find them anywhere!

25ov47m.jpg

4sb3ph.jpg

rmmqnk.jpg

I'd have paid twice the price for these, they're high quality true RGB switches & get great reviews from those who use them for games. The fact that I got both for €20 is even sweeter!

Just done a quick test there, they work perfectly. Full RGB on all ports with no loss :cool:

They look cool dude. I have a Joytech AV Control Centre thing I bought years ago that does something similar, it also has other connections on top of RGB scart. Was going to mention it to you a while back but I don't think you can buy those ones anymore, probably overkill for your needs anyway.

Actually just looking at the second picture above - do you have to manually change which scart socket signal is fed to the tv? I see a 1,2,3,4 button there. Or if you only had one machine powered on would it take that signal by default?
    Yep I realise it's probably a lazy man's question and flicking a switch is easier than swapping cables in and out at the back of the tv. Just curious though.

Master of the Universe

I remember reading somewhere ages ago that the ones with the buttons have perfect RGB..whereas those automatic ones that detect signals don't.

I don't know how true that is (maybe you can get expensive automatic ones), but for me they were always bad. So the button switching ones seem to be the way to go.

On another topic completely, I was out in Bray yesterday having a drink with my folks. Just as they got home (and I was about to board a dart to go back into the city centre) I got a phone call from my mam.

'Sorry Oisin, there was a package here for you that I was meant to bring along but I forgot it'

I thought it would just be the Jag scart cable so it didn't really matter all that much.

'The package says "Stone age gamer"'

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY EVERDRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I was so close to having it. Have to wait a few more days now! Gives me time to prep an empty cart shell I guess.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere ages ago that the ones with the buttons have perfect RGB..whereas those automatic ones that detect signals don't.

I don't know how true that is (maybe you can get expensive automatic ones), but for me they were always bad. So the button switching ones seem to be the way to go.

On another topic completely, I was out in Bray yesterday having a drink with my folks. Just as they got home (and I was about to board a dart to go back into the city centre) I got a phone call from my mam.

'Sorry Oisin, there was a package here for you that I was meant to bring along but I forgot it'

I thought it would just be the Jag scart cable so it didn't really matter all that much.

'The package says "Stone age gamer"'

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY EVERDRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe I was so close to having it. Have to wait a few more days now! Gives me time to prep an empty cart shell I guess.

Ah the Joytech jobbie I have comes with a remote where you can change the channels, for lazy gits. :pac:
    Nice re: Everdrive! That was fairly fast delivery or have the weeks just flown by for me? Did it come with the SD card or have you got one at the ready?

/Edit Max size is 2GB and remember to format it to FAT16. :)

Yep o1s1'c correct. The auto-sensing ones apparently are prone to serious interference, signal noise & degradation. The manual ones offer a perfect signal, the downside being you have to manually switch the input slider.

Normally that'd bother me, but it'd be poor form to wreck all the effort that went into setting it up with bad quality, for the sake of leaning over :)

There's suction cups on them, & they sit perfectly..I'll post some pics soon.

Thats a kicker re the flash cart o1s1n :(

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Nice re: Everdrive! That was fairly fast delivery or have the weeks just flown by for me? Did it come with the SD card or have you got one at the ready?

/Edit Max size is 2GB and remember to format it to FAT16. :)

It was fast enough. Faster than I thought it would be. I had a feeling I'd be waiting months. They seem to restock quickly enough. The guy who assembles them makes his living from them, so it's in his interest to fulfil orders!

I bought the PCB only version along with an inlay. It also comes with a sticker for the cart. So with a bit of fiddling about it should look good.

But I'll have to get the 2GB SD set up myself. Cheers for mentioning about FAT16, I wouldn't have known!

Do you need to put any firmware on the SD card or is it just the games?

As all my games are boxed away, I'm thinking about maybe getting the Snes version too.
    Yep o1s1'c correct. The auto-sensing ones apparently are prone to serious interference, signal noise & degradation. The manual ones offer a perfect signal, the downside being you have to manually switch the input slider.

Normally that'd bother me, but it'd be poor form to wreck all the effort that went into setting it up with bad quality, for the sake of leaning over :)

There's suction cups on them, & they sit perfectly..I'll post some pics soon.

Thats a kicker re the flash cart o1s1n :(

The way I look at it is - old consoles can't be switched on remotely. So you're going to have to stand up anyway! If you have the switcher somewhere handy it's just a matter of pressing one extra button.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Do you need to put any firmware on the SD card or is it just the games?

Just put the game roms on the SD card (after it's been formatted!). I created a folder per letter of the alphabet and sorted the games that way.
    Check out this page for lots of info. I'm trying to remember did I bother formatting the SD card on the PC or just via the built in tool on the cart menu - you defo need to format via the tool anyway.
    You can download OS updates from the above site, pop them on the SD card then go to 'update os' on the EverDrive, browse and select the file. Just make sure the OS version is compatible with your firmware version and that it's actually worth updating to. Tis very simple. Updating firmware requires actual hardware so is a different issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement