Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Bike today. Hill reps. Kept it short so I still have legs tomorrow for a long bike. 6 reps which felt fine. Am lacking some mojo this week too which is also a reason for a short session. Am even missing a tri today that everyone in the club is doing. Couldn't get my head around doing it which is not me. :(

Yet more bike today. Long ride. Tried to keep the cad up, was averaging about 80 but I can't get the stats out of my computer. Was out almost 4 hours but took pit stops to eat. Not gonna do like last time. I may not be getting faster but I felt much better on this ride than any of the other long ones I've done. Didn't want to fire the bike over the ditch at any stage, and the legs feel good now. 92k.

Having not run since last Sunday, I needed to get out for a jog today. Time being limited that meant I was out on the road well before 7. Crazy what this fitness lark has you doing. But I was so glad I got out. It was a glorious morning. So good I stopped to video the view :) Did a really enjoyable run of 11k. Took the usual time. One of these days will do strides and all that. But not today. Today was just about enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Oryx wrote: »
    I printed out an IM training plan the other day, and it woke me up to the changes I will have to make to how I train once I get into it properly. Junk training will have to be replaced by structure and efficiency. I won't have time or mileage to waste.

Hey Oryx, just some thoughts on the above....

When I signed up for the IM in 2010, I was very gung-ho about changing what I was doing and had a solid plan to work against.
    2 months in, I was hating it.

It is a cliche, because it is true - but it is more about the journey than the event.
    For me, the enjoyment is about swim/bike/run when I can, for as long as is enjoyable.
    As soon as I started to become a slave to the HRM and watch, I got turned off the whole thing.
    As a result, I scrapped the plan and just did what I enjoyed...same for Roth this year.

OK, it is not clever and I'm sure I could go faster, but for me, it would make running in January a chore rather than a release.

So, the point is, you can very comfortably do an IM in a reasonable time with what many might describe as a "junk-miles" program.

No doubt, the structured plan is the way to go, but if you find it is not working for you - don't worry - as long as you get to the start line on July 1st having enjoyed the trip, you'll nail it, no problem.

Thanks for that. I already know being a slave to times doesn't work for me. Its wrecked my head more than once this year. But at the same time in order to feel confident that I am prepared and ready, I need some kind of structure. Its going to be quite a learning curve both physically and mentally to find a balance that works.

• Advertisement

Right. I knew it was too good to be true. After two happy clapy 'I love training' days I came down to earth with a bump this evening. The swim started badly and just got worse. Couldn't breathe or relax for most of it and I swam like my arms and legs didn't belong to me. Was dead last. The cold killed me too. Apparently my face was blue as I left the water. The worst sea swim, ever. 1500m in god knows how long. About 40mins. Does not bode well for 1900m in ten days time. Had to run after just to get my body temp up again, I was incapable of speech I was shaking that badly. :) Run was hell too because the body and brain just didn't want to. 5k. i hate bad sessions. Especially when everyone else is flying. I wonder where I'm going wrong! But what does not kill you makes you stronger. I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Right. I knew it was too good to be true. After two happy clapy 'I love training' days I came down to earth with a bump this evening. The swim started badly and just got worse. Couldn't breathe or relax for most of it and I swam like my arms and legs didn't belong to me. Was dead last. The cold killed me too. Apparently my face was blue as I left the water. The worst sea swim, ever. 1500m in god knows how long. About 40mins. Does not bode well for 1900m in ten days time. Had to run after just to get my body temp up again, I was incapable of speech I was shaking that badly. :) Run was hell too because the body and brain just didn't want to. 5k. i hate bad sessions. Especially when everyone else is flying. I wonder where I'm going wrong! But what does not kill you makes you stronger. I hope.

I'm in Galway and the water is stunning, so clean and a good few out yesterday and today in wetsuits !

You've had bad days before and returned.

Ah I know. Its not a big deal. Just frustrating. Training wise it feels like I'm walking up the down escalator, doing lots of work and getting nowhere. But somewhere below this post will be a happy day to make up for today. :)

Rest day yesterday. Out for a short bike tonight. 32k. Hour and ten. I think. :)

The only training I could fit in today was a run. A swim woulda been better but what can you do? Not quite sure of the distance but just shy of 10k. Enjoyable. Probably because yet again am slow :)

• Advertisement

Short bike. Still haven't changed my saddle and it was bugging me again today. Just swapped it to one I got to try and will give it a shot next time. 32.5k today. 1hr 15. But hillier route.

I just got my final information pack for Vitruvian. I am in the last wave, where they stick all the wimmins. Why do organisers do that? Are they afraid us weak females might object to a whack in the head from a man? Or that we will sweat out oestrogen and affect the menfolk behind us? The gender split is a pet hate of mine. It also means that I will come in dead last, as they dismantle the finish line, probably. Another pet hate of mine. :)

Added to this is the bonus that as with all UK races, it begins in the middle of the night. I'm off into the lake at 7.10am. At least the 1500 people in front of me might have warmed it up a bit.

Another uninspiring days training. Sluggish 50 min run followed by 1000m swim. Didn't enjoy any of it. Am hoping this is just a pre race slump that will be cured by a few days rest. We shall see!

I just got my final information pack for Vitruvian. I am in the last wave, where they stick all the wimmins. Why do organisers do that? Are they afraid us weak females might object to a whack in the head from a man? Or that we will sweat out oestrogen and affect the menfolk behind us? The gender split is a pet hate of mine. It also means that I will come in dead last, as they dismantle the finish line, probably. Another pet hate of mine. :)

Added to this is the bonus that as with all UK races, it begins in the middle of the night. I'm off into the lake at 7.10am. At least the 1500 people in front of me might have warmed it up a bit.

Nice:)

The Germans had it better for Roth - the girls were off just after the pros, so the rest of us had the challenge of trying to catch as many ladies as we could - entertaining, but a vain effort for many of us!

All the best with the Vitruvian - BTW, how will you make up the missing 5km on the bike?:)

Well I was concerned about it being a short bike this time so I'm planning to go really slowly on the hills to make up for that. ;)

I spent an hour tonight swapping saddles and test riding my bike. Predictably I ended up putting back on the original one. Some of the others were a little better but not enough to warrant changing without a longer test ride. I was surprised to find that the ISM one I had been told would be great, was bloody awful. Oh, well. It will be another weekend of HTFU, arse. :)

I spent an hour tonight swapping saddles and test riding my bike. Predictably I ended up putting back on the original one. Some of the others were a little better but not enough to warrant changing without a longer test ride. I was surprised to find that the ISM one I had been told would be great, was bloody awful. Oh, well. It will be another weekend of HTFU, arse. :)

I'm leaving over my bike to be serviced today and have a strange feeling in my head that this the cleet on my left shoe thats causing my problems and not my saddle.

I think its turning my foot just a little to much and over longer peroids causing pain my groin when i get off the bike.........all will be known later this evening.

Have you to pack the bike for this one or is it a ferry job ?

Am taking it apart as we speak. Different box this time so we will see if its harder or easier!

Well the bike is packed with no tears or drama. It helps to have a box the bike fits in!

Did a relaxed, ie slow, run last night and a short 1k swim this morning. And thats it till 7am Saturday and the start line. Mentally I'm struggling to be positive so thats all I'll be trying to work on between now and then. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Best of luck on Saturday, Oryx. What kind of profile run and bike does Vitruvian have? (I presume it's a flat swim :))

• Advertisement

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/view/bike-ride-map/united-kingdom/oakham/89118 Thats pretty close to it. (x2, of course) I'll tell you next week how it rides. :)

The run is around a lake but Im not so concerned, will plod it out.

I Am A Vitruvian :) or so they told me at the race. Did it in 6.00.02. Not a sub six but I couldn't give a damn. Its as near as. :) Report as usual, will follow :) I'm getting in the bath!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Congratulations Oryx!

Was the Vitruvian easier after Antwerp? Less anxiety etc?

Right up to the start of the swim I couldn't get my head right, it was one of them days. Then started it and began to enjoy it. So it was easier than antwerp even tho in theory the course was harder. (tho a shorter bike). Brilliantly run, and lovely scenery, which helps.

I Am A Vitruvian :) or so they told me at the race. Did it in 6.00.02. Not a sub six but I couldn't give a damn. Its as near as. :) Report as usual, will follow :) I'm getting in the bath!

Nice one - this HIM lark seems to be getting easier for you - time to step it up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Congrats - I look forward to reading the report

Izoard wrote: »
    Nice one - this HIM lark seems to be getting easier for you - time to step it up:)
    I'm planning to. ;)

I'm planning to. ;)

Before you go for full IM............we want the report:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Before you go for full IM............we want the report:)

Ya bitte

• Advertisement

This tri is middle distance, 1900m swim, 85k bike, and 21k run. It's held in Rutland Water in Leicstershire, a quaint and pretty part of the world. I was not thinking 'quaint and pretty' as I made my way through the pitch dark parkland at 4.30am on Saturday morning. You could spot the previous entrants, they were the ones with the sense to wear head torches. But at least it wasn't cold and registration was filled with people with big smiles and cheery dispositions. Even when my bike stickers were missing, the marshal at transition went and got replacements for me. That sort of simple help really makes a race go from being good, to great.

All us ladies were parked at the back of transition (minor grrr) but it was good craic during set up, at least. A thorough and funny race briefing, then the first swimmers were in, bang on time, at 6.20 am. Watched all the other waves go in as I waited for my own, and I swear, if I could have thought of an excuse not to go in, I would've walked away. Jump in a lake at 7am? Flipping stupid malarkey!

Anyway, I did go in, and dipped my head under to acclimatise. More pitch blackness there. Lovely. Glanced at my watch a few minutes before the off, but didnt clock the actual start time. (Which became important, later!). The swim was two laps of a loop course, and this time I could sight well as the buoys were very visible, and I managed to stay with the main pack for the first lap. A short and stony (ouch) run out and back into the water for the second round. I began to lose the pack here, as the water was picking up some chop and I dropped back somehow. The swim felt good, in fact I was thinking at the end 'ah, no, I have to get on the bike next'. I thought I had done a good time, but this turned out not to be. 48.21. Lots of room to improve there.

T1 I nearly took the wrong bike. :) An identical one four spaces from mine. What are the chances? Wasted time pulling an armwarmer half on and then saying sod it and ripping it off (again, this becomes important later). 3.32

It was overcast and spitting rain as I started the bike in just the trisuit, and it was cold, but I thought of the words of ye boardsies, and told myself to work harder, generate some heat and HTFU!!!! I will state publicly for the first time: I Loved The Bike. Two laps of undulating roads, some rocking yeehaw downhills and plodding climbs. The only hard bit was called the Rutland ripple, and it was average, no Wicklow hills here! The bike was comfy, I stayed on the drops, it all fit together, I didnt feel the 'ring of fire' from my saddle. :p I even passed people. Seriously. That's NEVER happened before. Mentally that really helped, because I didnt feel like the total pleb at the back. Really good roads with actual scenery, like trees and stuff, made this a very different experience from the hell of Antwerp. 3.13.49 Still a tonne of work to do, but its finally coming.

T2 was just a matter of lash the bike kit off throw the shoes on and go. Finally I'm heading to 'my' bit of the race. 1.56

The run was on a path around the rutland lake, which had no proper hills but a few auld steep bits to make the quads ache. I found my chugging pace and just tried to keep going, but my calves were seized and my left foot totally numb. I told myself to forget about it, that it would ease. And it did. Only took 15k. :) Two out and back laps meant you met everyone else still on the course, which was really good. I mentally split it in four (out, back, out, back) and just ticked off each section as I got through it. Because I'm slow on the bike, I always arrive at the run almost last, and I just reel in whoever is in front of me, which is great for the head. I dont know how many I passed, but definitely gained a lot of places here. I was finding it hard though, and had to have a stern talking to myself so I didnt stop and walk. (Except through the feed stations, I cant drink and run!) At the last turn I took my second gel which -oops- was caffeinated, and made me sick. It was a battle to keep going, but I had been watching the time and thought I was on for a sub 6 if I could keep my pace. For the last 2.5k I did not think I could pick up my pace if I tried, I felt I was working as hard as I could. And I thought from my watch I was within my target. Run time 1.52.24. A minute faster than Antwerp.

I crossed the line as the annoucer was yelling my name and You Are A Vitruvian!! which, bless her, she told every competitor from the first, till the very last. A lovely touch. I still thought I had my sub 6, but without a finish clock I wasn't sure. With no exact start time, it had all been guessing. I went to the printout computer and queued. My number came up on the display as I got my printout, and the queue behind me started laughing and saying hard luck, when they saw 6.00.02. Two seconds. Two seconds!

If I hadnt fussed with the armwarmer. If I hadnt walked through the water stations. If I had known how close I was. If. If. If. Just goes to show, its true. Every second counts.

I think I have a name for my new IM log, right there.

Advertisement