Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Run went well. Coughing all the way :) but legs felt ok which is the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Oryx wrote: »
    Run went well. Coughing all the way :) but legs felt ok which is the main thing.

You are fine...:)

Best of luck and JFEI! (Enjoy being the important bit....)

Looking forward to the report....

JFEI.. I like that. :)

Into the pool for my last pre race splish splash. Even though its been a week thankfully I can still remember how to swim. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Glad you're feeling better Oryx.
    Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck Oryx, will be thinking of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

All the best for the HIM in Antwerp. You have done some great training sessions throughout the year and have put in some great milage.
    All the best for the race and I hope after the recent illness and the bike packing drama, that you arrive at the start line in full health and with a full bike! -LOL. Enjoy the day.

Macanri wrote: »
    All the best for the HIM in Antwerp. You have done some great training sessions throughout the year and have put in some great milage.
    All the best for the race and I hope after the recent illness and the bike packing drama, that you arrive at the start line in full health and with a full bike! -LOL. Enjoy the day.
    I'll be forever known as the bike packing drama queen. :D Yeah, hope it all gets there with me.

As bugs bunny says, That's all for now folks! See you on the other side. ;)

Well. Been there, done that. Wind (of the weather variety rather than the belly kind) killed my hopes of a good time. But completed it. Full report with all the excuses and sweaty detail will follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Well. Been there, done that. Wind (of the weather variety rather than the belly kind) killed my hopes of a good time. But completed it. Full report with all the excuses and sweaty detail will follow.

Well done !

My first proper big race. I landed in Belgium on the Friday, and spent the Saturday rebuilding the bike, registering and getting lost in the maze of a city. The logistics were difficult, but I think that added to the fun. There was a great buzz at registration and the goody bag included free bottles of bubbly, it felt like a party before we even began.

Race Day
    My wave start was at 11.40, so I began the trek to T1 with strands of other cyclists coming from all directions at 9am. Some walked to avoid punctures on the cobbled streets. I took my chances and rode. The journey included a trip through a tunnel under the river, which was surreal, hundreds of athletes all serious and quiet pedalling along in the confined space.

Transition was HUGE. Over 50 rows of 25 or 30 bikes. It stretched for half a mile, covered in mats all the way. I had never seen anything like it, and with Izoard's JFEI in mind, I soaked up the atmosphere and admired all the bike bling. There was great craic and a giddy mood in the wave start as we lined up to go into the water, I dont think Ive laughed that much before a race, ever. I recommend it.

Into the cool lake and the swim started almost immediately. I know Im not the worlds best swimmer, so I just found a comfy pace and stayed with it. The hardest thing, as always, was sighting, I did drift a little at one point and had to correct, but by halfway, I had got the knack of finding the next buoy and keeping my line. Had someone on my toes all the way so I knew I wasnt last. I did get caught and swum over by the lead guys in the next wave, which made things interesting. I really did enjoy the swim, and could have kept going much longer. I didn't blast it because this was going to be a long, unknown day, and I left the water at 45.46.

T1 had a long, long run in from the lake, and I made a snap decision to wear a jacket for the bike, as I was cold and the sky was heavy with rain. This turned out to be a huge mistake, one I wont repeat. 4.28

On to the bike. My favourite. Not. I had been told this course was as fast and easy as you can get, being almost completely flat. What I forgot to consider was the weather. Sunday had a wind so strong, it was blowing over the metal crowd barriers. So it turned out to be the toughest few hours Ive put in in a while. I didnt wear cycling shorts over my suit, so the saddle was a pain from quite early on, which didnt help.

On the way out we went through a tunnel with a very sharp fast descent. Halfway down the flashing lights and whistles alerted us that something was wrong. A bad crash of maybe 4 bikes brought the whole pack to a halt. I knew passing the scene it was bad, but only heard the next day the poor guy had died. It was a sobering thing that reminded us all to try and keep safe, in spite of wanting a good time. And a tragedy for the family of the chap who was killed. Such a terrible thing to happen on such an upbeat day.

But, as these things do, the race went on. The course snaked through a desolate industrial estate and included 3 loops of about 15k each. It was without doubt the most boring, anonymous and soul destroying route Ive ever ridden. No spectators would dare venture to this place. No scenery but factories and stacks of containers, no landmarks to help you gauge where you were, it all looked the same. And the wind. Oh god that wind. I felt like I was going backwards, and I think the whole rest of the field passed me at least twice. Though at least a few competitors tried to keep me going with words of encouragement. It never did rain, and I baked in my jacket as the sun came out. The last loop I seemed to be completely alone. Back towards the city, with a crotch so sore it felt like someone was holding a lit match to it. The sting in the tail of the cycling course was about a 4km stretch on cobbles. I promise you, if you are sore in your nether regions, the last thing you want to do is ride on cobbles with the full force of the wind in your face. I have never hated my saddle so much. I was among the slowest of the day, at an embarrassing 3.38.38 My bike definitely needs more bike. :)

T2, which was in a different place to T1, was also cobbled. Running on this in cleats reminded me of ice skating. I didn't know my station, but found it quickly enough, and it went smoothly, apart from having to retrieve the end cap of my handlebar which pinged over the barrier as I racked my bike. Cost me time I didnt have! 2.28

The run consisted of three winding loops through the city, along the prom first, then through the finish area and grandstand, then on through narrow lanes, cobbled streets, and even through a bustling market. And completely flat throughout. Once I got the first lap over and had my first wristband, I really started to enjoy it. I passed so many people because running, particularly when its flat, is my happy place. Water, sponges, isotar, oranges and cola every 2.5k kept us all going in the now brilliant sunshine. The time seemed to fly, and I got lots of whoops and yells of Come on Ireland! from the beer drinking spectators in the cafes along the route. Club colours really are great for that. Run time 1.53.45 My final entry into the finish chute in the grandstand area had me smiling from ear to ear. I may not be fast, but I fricking did it.

Finish time 6hr 25min 6sec.

After which I coughed up a lung while trying to eat an orange. Musta looked funny.

You guys were right. I loved it, though it was tough. Cant wait to do the next one. Once I rest, of course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Fair play on the swim and run splits if you can get the bike sorted you could easly be taking a half hour off there. Well done.
    Sobering thought on the poor chap that died whilst racing, never good to hear this sort of thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done Oryx, glad you enjoyed the day.

Sad news about that lad who died. No one expects that from their hobby.

Well done,

I'm going to spend the winter sorting out my swim and am thinking of doing this next yr.

Super stuff, Oryx. Very impressed with your ability to knock out a sub 2hr run after a tough bike - solid pacing and a good sign if you ever decide to push longer:)
    All the best with the Vitruvian!

During the race I thought, go longer? Never! But the idea is there and won't go away. I'm definitely going to see if I can solve my bike issues now because otherwise I'm at nothing with this. As with the swimming, proper coaching and advice is needed now to make gains. The weekend taught me that. If I go to the full distance I need to study training plans and see what kind of schedule I need. Half arsed won't get me by.

But for now, I have five weeks to hit the bike hard and see what difference it makes. Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it.

Well time to begin training again. Still feel a bit tired so I thought a gentle swim would ease me back into things. Found it hard going but maybe thats because my chest still isn't clear of the cold yet. Did 1120 all easy, tried to work on clean technique. I really hope I'm not developing bad habits now that I'm not being coached...

The swim the other day completely wiped me out so took some more recovery time. Tried a wee run this morning, just over 6k. I can feel that my legs are tired but it was a nice jog. Usual time for that route. I still have the tail end of the flu from last week, its all gone onto my chest which is not good. Probably explains the tiredness too. But I'll persevere. I have the option of a 70k group bike tomorrow but I think it might be best to give it a miss and do my own session. A shorter bike and a swim sounds better to my tired brain. My ass hasn't forgiven me the 90k yet either. Badly need to adjust my setup on that bike, is not ideal. I can't avoid group rideouts forever tho.. I can pop my cherry on a 50k charity ride on Monday instead.

Well what a shoite day. Couldn't face going out on the bike, so did an hours turbo instead. Boy did I realise I haven't been on it for a while. Sweat like a sweaty thing. Then got to the pool as it opened, which was lucky, it was rammoed and they had to make people wait to go in. No queue for me, got 1600m done. Now home for a coffee which I'm gasping for. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Just catching up on your race report, thanks for sharing and kudos to you.

Did get out and do that charity cycle today. Turned out to be a laugh. And I realise that I race slow because I train slow. Today I had to work hard. Yes. I know you told me so. Lesson being I need to get to the group sessions somehow. Still, a good 50k today is something.

• Advertisement

Sea swim. A lovely evening out but I was tired going into this. As usual these days. Almost quit and got out about 100m in. It was cold and I couldn't settle into a good rhythm. A few stops and starts before I settled into it properly, but I told myself I'd get out at the halfway point where you get back to the start. But by that stage I was swimming with the current and felt better. So I stuck it out and did the set. 1500m. Felt much perkier getting out of the water. Stuck to my plan tho and didn't run. This fatigue is not imagined and I've got to work with it and let my energy come back. Don't want to feck up the next HIM through overreaching.

Ooh yikes. For good or ill, Ive paid a deposit on IM Austria 2012.

I have 11 months to go from numpty to hard-as-nails. Christ.

I look forward to the training reports !

It will be 1/2 for me next yr...........swinford looks like the one.

I noticed you mentioned train fast-race fast comment re cycling. Thats something i agree with but i don't do it in group sessions.

I get a route of specific length and cycle it........from then on every time must be faster than the last, push, push, push even if its just a second faster.

If group session help you then go for it and go with others you know with go to your limit and beyond.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I look forward to the training reports !
    Me too :)

Best of luck with it!

Ooh yikes. For good or ill, Ive paid a deposit on IM Austria 2012.

I have 11 months to go from numpty to hard-as-nails. Christ.

Wow! That didn't, take long:)
    All the best with it...with 2 HIMs under your belt, you will cruise it....

Izoard wrote: »
    Wow! That didn't, take long:)
    All the best with it...with 2 HIMs under your belt, you will cruise it....
    I had to decide by tomorrow anyway to be sure of a slot with Nirvana. And was at a funeral of a 36 y o friend today, and I thought, you know what, life is too short. So I went for it. Its nice to hear people say I'll cruise it, I will get a lot of naysayers irl who won't understand why I want to put myself thru this. So thank you. I hope I can prove you right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Only just read the HIM report. Well done, sounds like it was a challenging enough bike with the wind, seeing the crash and the saddle sore woes.

With that time though I reckon you'll be looking for a sub 12 hour IM :D

I'll look for it anyway. :) I want and will need to be a hell of a lot stronger than this year. It will certainly make me focus properly on my training from here on in, which is good. A nice hard target to hit.

Ran this morning even tho I was having tummy issues and I really, really didn't feel like it. But I'm a wannabe IM now and got to learn to love feelin s.hit :) 11k, done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Just catching up there now Oryx, lots going on here, HIM done, IM on the horizon - nice one :)
    Great racing in Antwerp, that wind sounds like a real killer
    IM Austria 2012!! how cool is that??
    You've booked it now so you're doing it, full stop, you don't need anyone discouraging you at this stage, just go make it happen. And Izoard is right, you'll cruise it
    Delighted for you

Advertisement