Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

DustyBin wrote: »
    Just catching up there now Oryx, lots going on here, HIM done, IM on the horizon - nice one :)
    Great racing in Antwerp, that wind sounds like a real killer
    IM Austria 2012!! how cool is that??
    You've booked it now so you're doing it, full stop, you don't need anyone discouraging you at this stage, just go make it happen. And Izoard is right, you'll cruise it
    Delighted for you
    I really appreciate this. Makes me feel better about the decision to go ahead, which I know I will flap about at regular intervals between now and then. But Ive felt underprepared for pretty much every race Ive ever done and I still get through. I think its psychological. :)

I am looking forward to it tho, even the training. Cheers for the support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

The time commitment is amazing for training. Its something i don't think i'd have, Half Iron yes but the time needed for full is just too much with whats on my plate.

I take my hat of you for the level of commitment your going to have to show between now and next July.

The time commitment is amazing for training. Its something i don't think i'd have, Half Iron yes but the time needed for full is just too much with whats on my plate.

I take my hat of you for the level of commitment your going to have to show between now and next July.
    I already push 9-10 hours pw on a good week. I dont have much more than that, so will have to train very, very smart. I also see lots of very early mornings in my future. :)

Speaking of early mornings, in the pool for 7. Did 2k. For the first time in over a month training felt good. It made a pleasant change not to be struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

Hi Oryx, just catching up on your log, great race report from Antwerp. Congratulations! A great run considering what sounded like a nasty day on the bike.
    Fair play for taking on the full distance. It's something I've had in the back of my mind but can't see happening for another while (plus it's probably best that I get my first Olympic out of the way tomorrow, let alone a HIM :o).
    Good on you for showing the commitment to sign up, you'll have no problem with it when you get into the groove of that training.

• Advertisement

ronanmac wrote: »
    Hi Oryx, just catching up on your log, great race report from Antwerp. Congratulations! A great run considering what sounded like a nasty day on the bike.
    Fair play for taking on the full distance. It's something I've had in the back of my mind but can't see happening for another while (plus it's probably best that I get my first Olympic out of the way tomorrow, let alone a HIM :o).
    Good on you for showing the commitment to sign up, you'll have no problem with it when you get into the groove of that training.
    I did my first and only Oly in June :) Right now every day is a bad day on the bike but thats just because I haven't done enough miles. Thanks for the vote of confidence. My attitude to longer races is that of course I'll get around, its just a question of how long it takes and how much it hurts.

And by the way ronan, good luck with the Oly. Brian boru?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sweet no better woman Oryx to take on hunnymonster's mantle as the tough girl of these boards! I'm doing Austria also next year so feel free to fire any kind of numpty questions my way :D Great stuff at Antwerp and on the orange lung report. Another tradegy at one of these events though, jaysus I hope my OH doesn't catch wind of this, she'll have arm bands on my handlebars at Austria. Everytime I leave the house I get a chant of "have you got money, food, water, take it easy, be careful, no risks, use your brakes....!"

I'm not fit to walk in HMs shadow. :) She is a tough cookie, I'm half baked. ;) I will def be tapping you for information tho, you'll be sorry you said that.

Oryx wrote: »
    And by the way ronan, good luck with the Oly. Brian boru?

Yup, Brian Boru. Thought it was best to face up to a race with a swim longer than 750m, what with Galway 70.3 coming up fast!

• Advertisement

Yup, Brian Boru. Thought it was best to face up to a race with a swim longer than 750m, what with Galway 70.3 coming up fast!
    You wont notice the longer distances much, honest. Really good prep for Galway, its supposed to be a tough course alright. One of our club girls is doing it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Ooh yikes. For good or ill, Ive paid a deposit on IM Austria 2012.

I have 11 months to go from numpty to hard-as-nails. Christ.

Good woman Oryx.
    As the rest have said, with your work rate you will cruise it. Go girl.

Had another early start today. Half asleep as I got on the bike to do hill reps. Hadn't done this horrible hill in two months and my first time up it on the giant. Felt a little easier, but thats more likely to be the gearing rather than the legs! Up and down 7 times, once more than previous. Coulda done more but ran out of time. 1hr 40, 33k. Good session. I liked the interval type work, funnily enough.

More bike today. A little unmotivated at the start, but got into it. Ran into problems at 30k when I realised 'someone' had taken the gel blocks out of the tribag on the bike. I suspect the little people in my life.. :) So no fuel, just water. I hadn't eaten much heading out so by the time I got back I was dreaming of chocolate and feeling that rotten empty feeling and had to rule out the run I planned to do. Ho hum. Ate like it was going out of fashion once I got in and am starting to feel human again.

Ran into problems at 30k when I realised 'someone' had taken the gel blocks out of the tribag on the bike. I suspect the little people in my life.. :)

The double whammy of (1) having no energy on the bike and (2) coming home to children who are wired to the moon after consuming their equivalent of rocket fuel!

The double whammy of (1) having no energy on the bike and (2) coming home to children who are wired to the moon after consuming their equivalent of rocket fuel!
    'Did you eat my gel sweets?'
    'No, mammy'
    'Because if you did, they would make you feel very sick'
    'But I feel fine, mammy'
    'You just said you didn't eat them?'
    'eh...'

Got myself refitted on my bike today, lots of subtle adjustments and two alternate seats to try. In spite of still havin a sore ass from yesterday I can't wait to get out and see how it feels. :)

Halfway to my sea swim tonight I realised I forgot my hat and goggles. The fifteen minute drive back home to get them made me very late and did not help my humour (its been a day of hassles). Got in the water after the main group and got into it with a proper grr head on. :) Didn't go any faster but did a good swim, the usual 1500m which finally meant I reached a target in the sbr challenge! Ran straight after without seeing if anyone else was coming. I just wanted to run at my own pace, not anyone elses. Two loops of the village was a nice 10k. And I did chat to another runner for the last bit. Am not completely antisocial :)

One hour turbo set. It was crap. Horrible. Junk. And in the words of Forrest Gump, Thats all ah have to say about that. :)

Swam this morning. 1720, slow, 45 mins but it was one of those days when the water felt like treacle. But done.

• Advertisement

One hour turbo set. It was crap. Horrible. Junk. And in the words of Forrest Gump, Thats all ah have to say about that. :)

Looking at the various logs, I think it's safe to assume that yesterday was a triathlon of crap training.
    Swimming: ronanmac :(
    Cycling: Oryx :(
    Running: El Director :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Looking at the various logs, I think it's safe to assume that yesterday was a triathlon of crap training.
    Swimming: ronanmac :(
    Cycling: Oryx :(
    Running: El Director :(

No bad session for me yesterday............cause i did none:D

BUT 15 LSR tonight so i could be :( rather:( but the end.

Rested yesterday, I wasn't feeling full o beans and Im trying to be sensible so I dont burn out, again. Hill reps (bike) at oh my god o'clock this morning. Managed 8 this time, one more than last week. Did think I was going to puke though.

I know its pathetic but I just couldn't face a long bike today. The thought just made me want to go back to bed. So I went for a run to shake up the limbs, and the head. 10k hilly, then I took out the bike but it was uninspired. At 23k of junk mileage I dropped the bike back home and put the running shoes back on to try and redeem the session. Another 6k. So managed a decent brick if nothing else. I guess some days your the pigeon and some days youre the statue. This was definitely a statue day.

Rest day Monday (well not quite, spent the day in high heels at a wedding) but swam yesterday. Started off just awful, wanted to get out. My swim buddy kept encouraging (and waiting!) and once I got to the first turnaround I settled in.

Managed to accidentally do a more increased hip pivot somehow, and suddenly started to swim much faster, though it felt quite relaxed and no harder. I was thinking so this is how they do it! First time I felt like a swimmer and not like I was fighting with the water.

Nothing so far today. Too damn busy!

Missed out on my run yesterday, family life got in the way. Threw a few weights around late in the evening so as to not completely waste the day.

Out early on an arranged ride with another girl from the club. God but cycling with company makes it so much nicer. Nice pleasant ride, finishing with a few decent hills. Not very fast but its a start. 36k took about 85 mins. Wasn't watching the clock. Have new wheels on the bike, hard to say yet how different they are. Certainly today was easy, but more important, they look damn sexy on my bike. This tri lark is 70% show 30% go after all. :)

Missed out on my run yesterday, family life got in the way. Threw a few weights around late in the evening so as to not completely waste the day.

Out early on an arranged ride with another girl from the club. God but cycling with company makes it so much nicer. Nice pleasant ride, finishing with a few decent hills. Not very fast but its a start. 36k took about 85 mins. Wasn't watching the clock. Have new wheels on the bike, hard to say yet how different they are. Certainly today was easy, but more important, they look damn sexy on my bike. This tri lark is 70% show 30% go after all. :)

Managed to accidentally do a more increased hip pivot somehow, and suddenly started to swim much faster, though it felt quite relaxed and no harder. I was thinking so this is how they do it! First time I felt like a swimmer and not like I was fighting with the water.

Don't know what you've just figured out, or how, but get a video camera quick, record it, and sell it to the rest of us for megabucks! Sounds like you may have cracked the swimming lark!

Don't know what you've just figured out, or how, but get a video camera quick, record it, and sell it to the rest of us for megabucks! Sounds like you may have cracked the swimming lark!
    My stroke did fall apart again eventually, but while it worked it felt brill. The girl I had been barely keeping pace with was suddenly twenty foot behind me so I wasn't imagining it. I only hope I can find this elusive trick again next time I swim. :)

• Advertisement

Pool schwimming today. Did try to recreate that odd new trick, though it was harder to gauge pace in a 20m pool with no one to swim against and no accurate timer. All I can say is swimming that way felt easier, but I will have to get my stopwatch out. <br />
    <br />
    I printed out an IM training plan the other day, and it woke me up to the changes I will have to make to how I train once I get into it properly. Junk training will have to be replaced by structure and efficiency. I won't have time or mileage to waste. With that in mind I made sure today's swim was productive. Did 1600m divided into 100m drills. Easy/moderate/legs/arms/2, 3, 4 and 5 stroke breathing. Am pooped now so was def working hard. Bleedin got to now! :)

Advertisement