Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Run for your life.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Tried to run this eve but my legs were not having it. Did a stop start four miles and it was not pretty. Start again tomorrow!

Swam this eve. 2100m. 55 min or so.

That swim yesterday wiped me out and I couldnt get up early to run as intended. Got out straight after work tho for a few miles. Legs are tired tho.

Biked today. 63k. Taking on board advice I got here I tried to work hard all the way. The last few miles felt like I had anyway. Spent most of the ride on the drops which I havent been using at all due to being a wobbly cyclist. Did feel much better. But the change of position did open up a whole new world of discomfort in the groin area :) Just when I thought I was getting used to it.. Maximum respect to guys who ride. You have so much more to deal with, it must be like tennis after a long cycle.. New balls please!:)

Went to circuits last night. Somehow it all felt a bit easy, apart from squats which my legs hate right now after the bike on Sunday.

In other news; as part of my quest to use money to replace actual ability, I took delivery of the slightly agricultural looking speedfil system for my bike. My poor Giant now looks like it could spray the weeds on your lawn but at least I can drink on the fly. I also collected my fancy-dancy new tri shoes. Triathlon is like a disease that makes you spend, spend, spend. Its worse than gambling. I might be fast, but I shall be broke.

I'm now looking at a set of sexy easton wheels. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Oryx wrote: »
    Taking on board advice I got here I tried to work hard all the way.

No singing?

Izoard wrote: »
    No singing?
    Well I tried a few numbers from the Sound of Music, but it didnt match my cadence, and Lady Gaga sings in the wrong key for me. But I did do a few Michael Jackson-like squeals when the seat got sore.

Well I tried a few numbers from the Sound of Music, but it didnt match my cadence, and Lady Gaga sings in the wrong key for me. But I did do a few Michael Jackson-like squeals when the seat got sore.

Speaking of squealing, I had a Lance moment (~0.50) on a spinning bike this morning...thank f*%k they don't have cross-bars...

Swam tonight. It was the warmest its been but pretty rough too. A heavy swell and waves and plenty of chop. Managed the full distance for the first time, 1500m. But it was damn hard work. Felt like every time I sighted I was getting slapped in the face by water. Ran afterward in the rain, 5k finishing with a good ol sprint, bit of a laugh with a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Swam tonight. It was the warmest its been but pretty rough too. A heavy swell and waves and plenty of chop. Managed the full distance for the first time, 1500m. But it was damn hard work. Felt like every time I sighted I was getting slapped in the face by water. Ran afterward in the rain, 5k finishing with a good ol sprint, bit of a laugh with a few others.

Training in ganrly conditions and having a laugh simulataneously.. thats what its all about :)

• Advertisement

Short run last night. 6k. Sprinted for about half of it. Am feeling so tired today, and in the back of my mind panic is building because I have four weeks left to Antwerp and I don't feel nearly ready!

Ran today, first time out with my newly replaced Garmin. And oh, how Ive slowed while Ive been unable to watch my pace. :) 6.5k in 33.51 Needs cranking up a gear.

Tomorrow is the half mara, which I know wont be spectacular. This week Ive stepped back a bit because that was coming up, but next week I really want to start working on the bike. Lets see what can be achieved in 2-3 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

So what time are you hoping for ?

I have to skip it and do next week in Clontraf !

So what time are you hoping for ?

I have to skip it and do next week in Clontraf !
    Last year was 1.46 and I reckon Im slower now than I was then. Just havent been doing enough running. I have to consider it a training run, and I should bike up and back but have nowhere to stow the bike while running.

Why are you not doing it?

Not finished work in Roscommon until 4am so wouldn't do myself justice at all, o'd be asleep in a ditch after 8 miles:D

God be with the days when a half marathon was something I planned and trained for. The strawberry half today was I think the first time I'd run 13 miles in a year. I hadn't been too enthused about it, it had to be done as part of the HIM training. Thankfully, it went ok.

Last year I went off a bit hard so I tried to pull back and not do that this time. Result was I didn't fall apart by 7k unlike the last time. Felt reasonably comfy for most of it. The 1.45 pacers caught me at about 8k, but I hung on their tail as long as I could. Did feel faster than 8mm pace.. Took a gel at 7 and 14k for a mostly psychological boost. :)

The pacers were long gone by around ten miles when lo and behold here comes slogger jogger from behind me. I knew the other guy was a bit fast. :) Still, got passed by him anyway. But it was the home straight so kept plodding at around 8 min miles. The last three miles were long and hot and horrible but I managed to get in at 1.45.44 so job done. Fifteen seconds faster than last year. Whoop di do... Someday I'll figure out this gaining speed thing! :)

Great time, at mo i can only dream of it.......but i have my cycling:D

Yeah you'll always beat me on the bike. :) And youre making gains so fast I better watch my back!

Yeah you'll always beat me on the bike. :) And youre making gains so fast I better watch my back!

Not until i shift more of this weight !

Out for a spin on the bike this morning, to try out my new bits of kit and to begin making up for no bike at all last week. 20 miles. Funny thing is, the drops now feel more natural to use than the hoods. That didn't take long.

The speedfil system is a great success. I can actually drink without stopping. Woo hoo. :) And the tri shoes are a good fit, tho the new cleats are waaay too tight. Takes me about 100m to yank myself out of em. Not really the safest..

Legs feel grand today. No aches and can only slightly feel yesterdays mileage. Which means either my recovery is good or I didn't run hard enough :)

• Advertisement

The 1.45 pacers caught me at about 8k, but I hung on their tail as long as I could.

Good sign for the HIM, that you were able to adjust and hold the pace..brewing nicely!

Cheers. I need all the positivity I can get.

Seeing as I have a working Garmin, these are my km splits for the race.. 4.44, 4.54, 4.51, 5.11, 4.57, 5.01, 5.04, 4.51, 5.09, 5.25, 4.49, 4.43, 5.19, 4.45, 4.59, 5.10, 5.01, 5.04, 5.25, 4.58, 4.52, 0.24

Easy to see where the hills are :)

Circuits tonight. Felt ok, even the squats... Was very hot tho, with this muggy weather.

Righty ho. Back to normal. Swim night.. 1500m in a flat calm bit chilly sea. My swim buddy was flying and I had to work hard to stay with her. Think I'm slowing cos I've missed a few pool sessions. Hmmm..

Ran after with a slow group which was a tiny bit too slow but sure, no harm considering the legs are recovering still.

Feel tired now. But feel good. :)

Ran this morning. Actually got up early. Must be reading Woddles log that did it. The guy never sleeps. 6.5k. 35mins Legs felt horrible. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Ran this morning. Actually got up early. Must be reading Woddles log that did it. The guy never sleeps. 6.5k. 35mins Legs felt horrible. :D

Untrue I get 7 hours without fail every night. The baby is going through a good spell :D
    Other than the legs feeling horrible, how did you find the morning run?
    I love not having to think about fitting a run in for the rest of the day.

Only a week and a bit now till Bunclody :) can't wait.

Woddle wrote: »
    Untrue I get 7 hours without fail every night. The baby is going through a good spell :D
    Other than the legs feeling horrible, how did you find the morning run?
    I love not having to think about fitting a run in for the rest of the day.

Only a week and a bit now till Bunclody :) can't wait.
    I've done early runs quite a bit, just not lately, cos Ive been having a lazy spell. :D

I like getting out early, the rest of the day feels like a day off!

I havent even been thinking of Bunclody, its just a tiny training day tbh, Im more focused (and terrified, lol) at the thought of Antwerp.

Biked today. A 20 miler. Kept cadence up so it felt hard but was no faster overall in spite of the increased effort. Things that make you go hmmm...

A weekend away disrupted my training (again). Still managed a 5k run and an 1100 swim brick on Saturday, but thats been it.

I may get my finger out this week!

• Advertisement

Sea swim. 1500m, felt ok just a niggle in the left arm. No idea what my pace was, forgot to clock the time going in. Ran after or should I say got dragged around the 5k route by one of the fast guys from the club. And he was just trotting! Good training for this pleb tho.

Advertisement