Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promising Players who Disappeared

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 joesoap25

its a good read alright.

I was wondering if anyone could help me fill in the gaps here? It's the 2004 Under 21 Ireland sqaud that got to the 2004 World Cup Finals losing to New Zealand. All info appreciated.

1. John Wickham - Clontarf
    2. Denis Fogarty – Munster
    3. Declan Fitzpatrick – Ulster
    4. David Gannon – Exeter Chiefs
    5. Shane O'Connor – ?
    6. Brendan O'Connor - Cashel
    7. David O'Brien - ?
    8. Jamie Heaslip – Leinster
    9. Tomas O'Leary – Munster
    10. Gareth Steenson – Exeter Chiefs
    11. Paul McKenzie – Exeter Chiefs
    12. Glen Telford - Dungannon
    13. John Hearty - ?
    14. Richard Lane – Cork Con
    15. Andrew Finn - Garryowen
    16. Conor Geoghan - UCD
    17. Keith Doyle – Fianna Fail Councillor
    18. Neil McComb – ?
    19. Oisin Hennessy - Dungannon
    20. Robbie Shaw – Bristol & USA
    21. Michael Glancy - Newedge Club (Hong Kong)
    22. Breiffne O'Donnell - Clontarf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

joesoap25 wrote: »
    its a good read alright.

I was wondering if anyone could help me fill in the gaps here? It's the 2004 Under 21 Ireland sqaud that got to the 2004 World Cup Finals losing to New Zealand. All info appreciated.

5. Shane O'Connor – ?
    7. David O'Brien - ?
    13. John Hearty - ?
    16. Conor Geoghan - UCD
    18. Neil McComb – ?
    McComb is in the Ulster squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Madworld wrote: »
    I was always wondering what happened to that massive prop Nermin Lovic from Belvo a few years ago.

Playing 1st XV rugby with Old Belvedere atm don't think he's in the frame for representative rugby at the moment though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Shane O'Connor was at Harlequins, a harlequins fan forum mentions that he got a contract with a french club but no source or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Shane O'Connor was at Harlequins, a harlequins fan forum mentions that he got a contract with a french club but no source or anything

He's with Bordeaux-Begles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

AFAIK Oisin Hennessey has now finished playing rugby altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Niall O'Connor:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭remwhite

What happened that Foley fella who was on that good CBC Monkstown team a few years back. Went straight to an academy contract after school but never seen him since. Thought there was 2 or 3 highly rated lads on that team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

remwhite wrote: »
    What happened that Foley fella who was on that good CBC Monkstown team a few years back. Went straight to an academy contract after school but never seen him since. Thought there was 2 or 3 highly rated lads on that team.

i was reading an article somewhere recently where the journalist mentioned the great schools teams such as the Rock dream team and the CBC Monkstown dreamteam, as far as i can tell, that monkstown team has one lad on Leinster academy, another playing for UCD and another for Seapoint.
    if i recall they didnt even make the Leinster school's cup final.

2 great players for the irish schools team who travelled to oz and came home undefeated were cormac dowling and travers the centre from terenure, both disappeared after school, presume due to injury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

foley got dropped by the academy and played for blackrock for a season but wasnt guarenteed to get his game. he now plays for seapoint in ail division 3. solid player and big lad but nothing special.mic noone was their no.8 and he starts for blackrock in ail. he also played ireland u20s but didnt get into the leinster academy. grannell plays backrow for UCD this season hes still as class and massive as he always was and dominated pretty much all players he comes up against. should be in the leinster academy ahead of paul ryan or eoin sheriff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

bamboozle wrote: »

2 great players for the irish schools team who travelled to oz and came home undefeated were cormac dowling and travers the centre from terenure, both disappeared after school, presume due to injury
    i played a match with dowling a good while back (about 16 years ago): phenomenally quick and strong too... broke the opposition fullback's collar bone in that match (a schoolmate of mine strangely enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭McMalley

joesoap25 wrote: »
    its a good read alright.

5. Shane O'Connor – ?
    7. David O'Brien - ?
    13. John Hearty - ?
    16. Conor Geoghan - UCD
    18. Neil McComb – ?

Keith Doyle is most definately not a FF Councillor. He played 3 years in the academy, AIL for UCD, had to retire due to a back injury.

Dave O'Brien has 2 blues from Cambridge if I'm not mistaken.

John Hearty played a bit for Leinster then headed to Connacht for a few seasons. Also had to retire due to injury..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I remember watching Dairmuid McCarthy 2 or 3 years back and thinking we'd found the new BOD. It was sad to hear he didn't want to play professional rugby.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

profitius wrote: »
    I remember watching Dairmuid McCarthy 2 or 3 years back and thinking we'd found the new BOD. It was sad to hear he didn't want to play professional rugby.

Well the good news is he's back training with Garryowen again after nearly a year out and still looks as good as ever.

Maybe he might get back on track and join the fold later like with Dineen..

Well the good news is he's back training with Garryowen again after nearly a year out and still looks as good as ever.

Just can't see it happening. Guys like Scanlon, Dineen, Henry, Cusack, and Cotter were picked up at an older age for the Academy/Training contracts because they desperately wanted to turn pro. Afaik, Cusack gave up his job and was training full time for free just for a chance at a training contract (worth peanuts). Foley has talked about how hard Scanlon pushed himself when Munster A showed an interest because he felt he'd missed his chance when he was 18/19. These guys are guys who just want to make it and who forced Munster to look at them due to their efforts in the AIL.

McCarthy on the otherhand has no interest in going pro, the desire just isn't there. I don't blame him, it's a tough life and if it's not for him then I'm glad he had the intelligence to recognise that.

You must play with him/know him to know he's back in training so if I'm wrong about the guy feel free to call me out on it.

Just can't see it happening. Guys like Scanlon, Dineen, Henry, Cusack, and Cotter were picked up at an older age for the Academy/Training contracts because they desperately wanted to turn pro. Afaik, Cusack gave up his job and was training full time for free just for a chance at a training contract (worth peanuts). Foley has talked about how hard Scanlon pushed himself when Munster A showed an interest because he felt he'd missed his chance when he was 18/19. These guys are guys who just want to make it and who forced Munster to look at them due to their efforts in the AIL.

McCarthy on the otherhand has no interest in going pro, the desire just isn't there. I don't blame him, it's a tough life and if it's not for him then I'm glad he had the intelligence to recognise that.

You must play with him/know him to know he's back in training so if I'm wrong about the guy feel free to call me out on it.

Scanlon looks a good prospect from what I've seen of him.

Maybe (I'm hoping but doubt it) he has realised that a career as a professional sportsman is more rewarding than what he is currently doing. You never know.

Another talented team.

15. Fionn Carr Blackrock College RFC --- Connacht
    14. Peter Durcan Galwegians
    13. Tom Gleeson Cork Constitution
    12. Conan Doyle Garryowen
    11. Matthew Williams Bristol
    10. Kieran Hallett Bedford Blues
    9. Paul Marshall Ballynahinch --- Ulster
    1. Darragh Hurley UCC --- Munster
    2. Stuart Philpott Belfast Harlequins (captain)
    3. David Ryan Highfield --- Munster
    4. David McGowan Buccaneers
    5. Devin Toner Lansdowne --- Leinster & Ireland
    6. Ross Noonan UCC
    7. David Pollock Queens University --- Ulster but now retired through injury.
    8. Sean O'Brien UCD ---Leinster & Ireland

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin Shannon --- Connacht & Ireland
    17. Paul Doran Jones Dublin University --- Gloucester & England
    18. Dan Tuohy Hartpury College/Gloucester --- Ulster & Ireland
    19. Diarmuid Laffan Blackrock College RFC --- Think he gave up, i played a J2's match against him, obviously not playing seriously any more.
    20. Duncan Williams UCC --- Munster
    21. Darren Cave Belfast Harlequins --- Ulster & Ireland
    22. Ian Hanly UL Bohemians

Unreal amount of pros out of the 2007 Grand Slam team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Interesting that Dave Ryan, unless it's a different one, was at TH in that team.

Another talented team.

14. Peter Durcan Galwegians
    13. Tom Gleeson Cork Constitution
    4. David McGowan Buccaneers
    6. Ross Noonan UCC

Replacements:

19. Diarmuid Laffan Blackrock College RFC --- Think he gave up, i played a J2's match against him, obviously not playing seriously any more.

Ever notice that half the exile players first names are Kieran! :D

Another talented team.

14. Peter Durcan Galwegians Playing in France, Limoges?
    13. Tom Gleeson Cork Constitution Munster contract
    4. David McGowan Buccaneers France?
    6. Ross Noonan UCC Playing in Div 1, England - Birmingham?

Replacements:

Added in a few more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BillieBob

What ever happened to that prop Royce Burke-Flynn (from Micheals I think?)? He looked storming in the Senior Cup and at the time I thought he might come through (as Healy has done since) and help solve our problem at International level.

BillieBob wrote: »
    What ever happened to that prop Royce Burke-Flynn (from Micheals I think?)? He looked storming in the Senior Cup and at the time I thought he might come through (as Healy has done since) and help solve our problem at International level.

He's playing in France, afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

BillieBob wrote: »
    He's playing in France, afaik.

Yes he is playing for Montauban in France, was in Italy last season I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Has also played in South Africa.

Sangre wrote: »
    Has also played in South Africa.

He and Ruaidhari Murphy were sent to South Africa for a summer to train in a kind of academy place I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Dineen shouldn't be on your list. He was offered an academy spot when he finished with CBS but opted to start and finish his degree in UCC instead.

Dineen shouldn't be on your list. He was offered an academy spot when he finished with CBS but opted to start and finish his degree in UCC instead.

Interesting, maybe there's hope for McCarthy so.

Interesting, maybe there's hope for McCarthy so.

Hopefully. If he didn't like rugby he wouldn't be still playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Ward mentioned Cormac Dowling last week in the school's supplement.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/schools-rugby/three-more-that-got-away-2500031.html
    Cormac Dowling

(PBC Bray)

The Pres Bray man lit up the left wing on Gibney's dream team (see main). Could play across the backline and they say he had the potential to equal Brian O'Driscoll. Injury problems meant we never got a chance to properly find out.

Tom Murphy

(Cistercian Roscrea)

Played in the 1991 Schools back-row that included Anthony Foley and David Corkery and still managed to shine.

Malcolm Mahon

(CBC Monkstown)

A natural sprinter with size and skills to go with his pace, Mahon was devastatingly effective at full-back for CBC Monkstown and on the Ireland Schools team in 1983.

Supplements

• Advertisement

profitius wrote: »
    Hopefully. If he didn't like rugby he wouldn't be still playing.

Was he injured for the last year or just not bothered playing? He might like rugby but you need more than that to be a pro.

Advertisement