Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promising Players who Disappeared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Burke was a great broken field runner if I recall correctly. Ross McCarron is another Leinster guy who gave up just as he was starting to get places.

He wasn't really getting anywhere, he played a couple of games here and there. He was 24 when he retired and there was the like of Kearney, Fitzo and now McFadden coming through, Nacewa was joining the following season as well. He's still playing for Landsowne. Tbh, while he was a decent player he was never really going to make it. Too injury prone i might add.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

thebaz wrote: »
    Players not making or fulfilling expected potential is just the nature of sport - I remember a good few years ago when Simon Geoghan started, a scrum half made his debut as captain of Ireland, after a year never heard off again - there are so many players that fail to make it , I think it takes more than talent, dedication is the big one - players also peak at different times, BOD was apparently nothing too special in school

Rob Saunders was the scrum half
    Himself, Geoghean, David Curtis and Jim Staples were all London Irish players at the time. THink the year was either '90. He continued to play into the World Cup and famously missed touch from Lynagh's kickoff after Gordon Hamilton had scored a try converted by Ralph Keyes to put us 3 up with about 2 to go in the Quarter Final
    He had a great pass. Think Bradley regained his position, followed by Niall Hogan amongst others.
    I'm not sure if he fizzled out rather that the professional era took over and he probably had a career to mind at that stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

WeeBushy wrote: »
    He wasn't really getting anywhere, he played a couple of games here and there. He was 24 when he retired and there was the like of Kearney, Fitzo and now McFadden coming through, Nacewa was joining the following season as well. He's still playing for Landsowne. Tbh, while he was a decent player he was never really going to make it. Too injury prone i might add.

He has Ireland A caps, that's getting somewhere, imo.

Was injury prone alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Simon Geoghan had to quit because of arthritis in the feet. HE was very good, who can't remember that try against England, or the only person to tackle lomu!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

damnyanks wrote: »
    Simon Geoghan had to quit because of arthritis in the feet. HE was very good, who can't remember that try against England, or the only person to tackle lomu!

Took him down textbook, some player, at full flight he was some sight, McLaren used to love him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

My earliest rugby memories of Irish rugby are Geoghegan and asking my parents why no-one passed to him. I didn't quite understand why we were so shíte back then. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

My earliest rugby memories of Irish rugby are Geoghegan and asking my parents why no-one passed to him. I didn't quite understand why we were so shíte back then. :o

The pace he had on the wing was something else !! It was something else back then to avoid the wooden spoon for us i'm just glad it's not like that nowadays !!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Great article here about determination and hope and never giving up

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/1022/1224257225916.html

and on the other side Mike Price loves the fact he kept BOD on the bench ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭ALH-06

Des Dillon kept playing after school, played some academy stuff, but never quite made it in senior ranks. Was rock club captain couple of years ago afaik

He still is I think. He definitely played for Rock over the weekend against Cork Con.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Anyone know about Duncan Williams, was a great scrum half at schools level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

jayteecork wrote: »
    Anyone know about Duncan Williams, was a great scrum half at schools level.

Munster squad member but has been injured for most of the past few seasons. Played for the A team last week I think.

The U21 team that reached the WC final in 04 might make interesting reading:

15 - Andrew Finn (Dolphin) 14 - Richard Lane (UCC) 13 - John Hearty (Blackrock College) 12 - Glen Telford (Dungannon) 11 - Paul McKenzie (Loughborough University) 10 - Gareth Steenson (Queens University Belfast)

9 - Tomas O'Leary (Cork Constitution) 1 - John Wickham (Clontarf) 2 - Denis Fogarty (Cork Constitution) 3 - Declan Fitzpatrick (Belfast Harlequins) 4 - David Gannon (Blackrock College) CAPTAIN 5 - Shane O'Connor (Cork Constitution) 6 - Brendan O'Connor (Cork Constitution) 7 - David O'Brien (Old Belvedere) 8 - Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University)

Replacements: 16 - Conor Geoghegan (UCD), 17 - Keith Doyle (UCD), 18 - Neil McComb (Dundee HSFP), 19 - Oisin Hennessy (Dungannon), 20 - Robbie Shaw (Wasps), 21 - Michael Glancy (Loughborough University), 22 - Breiffne O'Donnell (UL Bohemians).

I thought Tommy Bowe was on this team too....if so there are 3 Lions on the team

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

RockRory wrote: »
    Cormac Dowling ( Pres Bray ) 96 Leinster u18 and Ireland u18, never heards off after :rolleyes:

Cormac Dowling, Ciaran Scally, a centre from terenure Eamonn Travers and Barry Gibney were four serious talents who had to retire from injury soon after finishing glittering schools careers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Souwester

Wasn't Barry Gibney Irish schoolboys captain in 1996? A flanker I think. I'd always presumed that lack of size prevented him from progressing into senior ranks - interesting to hear it was injury though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Ceartgoleor

MG wrote: »
    Munster squad member but has been injured for most of the past few seasons. Played for the A team last week I think.

The U21 team that reached the WC final in 04 might make interesting reading:

15 - Andrew Finn (Dolphin) 14 - Richard Lane (UCC) 13 - John Hearty (Blackrock College) 12 - Glen Telford (Dungannon) 11 - Paul McKenzie (Loughborough University) 10 - Gareth Steenson (Queens University Belfast)

9 - Tomas O'Leary (Cork Constitution) 1 - John Wickham (Clontarf) 2 - Denis Fogarty (Cork Constitution) 3 - Declan Fitzpatrick (Belfast Harlequins) 4 - David Gannon (Blackrock College) CAPTAIN 5 - Shane O'Connor (Cork Constitution) 6 - Brendan O'Connor (Cork Constitution) 7 - David O'Brien (Old Belvedere) 8 - Jamie Heaslip (Dublin University)

Replacements: 16 - Conor Geoghegan (UCD), 17 - Keith Doyle (UCD), 18 - Neil McComb (Dundee HSFP), 19 - Oisin Hennessy (Dungannon), 20 - Robbie Shaw (Wasps), 21 - Michael Glancy (Loughborough University), 22 - Breiffne O'Donnell (UL Bohemians).

I thought Tommy Bowe was on this team too....if so there are 3 Lions on the team
    David Gannon, who captained this team and played a couple of seasons with Connacht was on the Southland side that recently won the Ranfurly Shield in New Zealand

Souwester wrote: »
    Wasn't Barry Gibney Irish schoolboys captain in 1996? A flanker I think. I'd always presumed that lack of size prevented him from progressing into senior ranks - interesting to hear it was injury though.

It says alot about how good Gibney was that he made Blackrock's all time XV despite having to quit the game after school. Huge loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

He played at least one early/pre season game for the Leinster Senior team. I remember watching him play in LR...

It says alot about how good Gibney was that he made Blackrock's all time XV despite having to quit the game after school. Huge loss.

I think the all time side was picked on their performances while in the school, so Gibney was always going to be selected. Some great players (2 Lions) were selected in the International XV despite not making the School XV, which says it all about the greatness of the school's rugby team through the years

The two sides:

Blackrock College (SCT XV)
    Hugo MacNeill, Niall Brophy, Brian O'Driscoll, Brendan Mullin, Luke Fitzgerald, Mick Kelly, Ciaran Scally, Justin Lennon, Harry Harbison, Finbarr Griffin, Victor Costello, Neil Francis, Don Roe Kissane, Barry Gibney, Brian McLoughlin

Blackrock College (International XV)
    Hugo MacNeill, Jack Arigho, Brian O'Driscoll, Larry McMahon, Niall Brophy, Paul Murray, John Quirke, Paul Flavin, Shane Byrne, Job Langbroek, Leo Cullen, Neil Francis, Fergus Slattery, Noel Turley, Victor Costello

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Yeah Brendan Burke. I thought so too. My googling was right so, he was at leinster from '03 to '06.

Coming to this late but Burke was struggling with a groin injury in '06 and playing in fits and starts. With the other younger lads coming through his contract wasn't renewed so he went over to Cornish Pirates for a season and went to Bedford at the start of last season.

I think the all time side was picked on their performances while in the school, so Gibney was always going to be selected. Some great players (2 Lions) were selected in the International XV despite not making the School XV, which says it all about the greatness of the school's rugby team through the years

The two sides:

Blackrock College (SCT XV)
    Hugo MacNeill, Niall Brophy, Brian O'Driscoll, Brendan Mullin, Luke Fitzgerald, Mick Kelly, Ciaran Scally, Justin Lennon, Harry Harbison, Finbarr Griffin, Victor Costello, Neil Francis, Don Roe Kissane, Barry Gibney, Brian McLoughlin

Blackrock College (International XV)
    Hugo MacNeill, Jack Arigho, Brian O'Driscoll, Larry McMahon, Niall Brophy, Paul Murray, John Quirke, Paul Flavin, Shane Byrne, Job Langbroek, Leo Cullen, Neil Francis, Fergus Slattery, Noel Turley, Victor Costello

I was wondering about that, but O'Driscoll is on the Schools team despite not being an amazing player while in school. Anyhow, how many of that Schools team were never capped at senior level? Gibney definitely.

I was wondering about that, but O'Driscoll is on the Schools team despite not being an amazing player while in school. Anyhow, how many of that Schools team were never capped at senior level? Gibney definitely.

All of the backline were capped I believe except Mick Kelly, who I think went playing soccer, though he was supposed to have been amazing.

I honestly don't know as much about some of the forwards, particularly the front row, but obviously the big names in there were capped. Scally in particular could have had a huge career if not for injury.

Re O'Driscoll, you're probably right and its a slight nod to the great hes become to have him included in both, though he was no slouch either while in school and was the Irish Schools out half.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭streings

He has Ireland A caps, that's getting somewhere, imo.

He had one Ireland A cap, and only 6 Leinster caps by the time he retired. If he was getting somewhere he was taking his time about it.

streings wrote: »
    He had one Ireland A cap, and only 6 Leinster caps by the time he retired. If he was getting somewhere he was taking his time about it.
    He decided to opt out of the last year of his Leinster contract, and declined contracts with Ulster and Connacht to go back to college to finish his degree, but he definitely was a talent.

Brian O'Riordan was another one who I thought when he was younger who be amazing (remember seeing him score a hat trick of tries before for the Irish U21s against Italy) but didn't really work out for him at Leinster or Bristol, so he gave it up too and went into stockbroking I believe, so hes probably in a dole queue somewhere now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭crisco10

streings wrote: »

Ross is mates with a mate of mine. His career between 19 and 23 was ravaged by injury. The ultimate being missing 6 months because he turned his ankle in a hole in the ground! :eek:

I think he just was tired of it and felt his game wasn't there after injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Brian O'Riordan was another one who I thought when he was younger who be amazing (remember seeing him score a hat trick of tries before for the Irish U21s against Italy) but didn't really work out for him at Leinster or Bristol, so he gave it up too and went into stockbroking I believe, so hes probably in a dole queue somewhere now :D

The smile at the end disconcerts me.

Looking at this thread is a bit depressing. It would be interesting to see a lot of the guys who finished in the early/mid nineties playing once the professional era had really begun.

He decided to opt out of the last year of his Leinster contract, and declined contracts with Ulster and Connacht to go back to college to finish his degree, but he definitely was a talent.

O'Riordan plays for Landsdown and works for Paddy Power doing the rugby odds

All of the backline were capped I believe except Mick Kelly, who I think went playing soccer, though he was supposed to have been amazing.

I honestly don't know as much about some of the forwards, particularly the front row, but obviously the big names in there were capped. Scally in particular could have had a huge career if not for injury.

Re O'Driscoll, you're probably right and its a slight nod to the great hes become to have him included in both, though he was no slouch either while in school and was the Irish Schools out half.

O'Driscoll played centre for Irish Schools with Shane Moore, Andy Dunne was irish schools outhalf that season and the previous season.

There's another guy from whom great things were expected, shane moore - captained the U19 world cup winning team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I always fealt O'Riordans pass wasn't speedy for top level - think mcCarron plays with him at lansdowne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

What ever happened to that fella Ross O'Carroll Kelly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

MG wrote: »
    What ever happened to that fella Ross O'Carroll Kelly?

He opted out of playing after EOS overlooked him for O'Gara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

He opted out of playing after EOS overlooked him for O'Gara

Always felt he could have done a lot more!!

Advertisement