Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promising Players who Disappeared

Options
  • 24-10-2009 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if people could give me insight into what happened to the following very promising players.

Diarmuid McCarthy - Remember that centre for Castletroy? Unbelievable talent yet didn't feature in the Munster or Ireland youth squads.

Ray Crotty - Someone told me he was slightly injury prone but surely thats not a reason to scrap what was considered an extraordinary talent?

Vasya Artemiev
    - Remember that Russian born winger for Blackrock? Scored tries for fun then simply was never heard from again?

Feel free to add more..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Richard Lane, winger for UCC, don't think he was ever offered Munster contract, still think he plays for Cork Con at Senior Level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Vasya Artemiev was touted as the next Hickie, amazingly quick and powerfull, but couldn't defend for sh*t, hands weren't great and generally a fairly average player with the exception of getting him in a bit of space out wide he'll score.

Not good enough for pro rugby.

Crotty I think got career ending injury.

Don't know the McCarthy fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭RockRory

Cormac Dowling ( Pres Bray ) 96 Leinster u18 and Ireland u18, never heards off after :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Vasya Artemiev was touted as the next Hickie, amazingly quick and powerfull, but couldn't defend for sh*t, hands weren't great and generally a fairly average player with the exception of getting him in a bit of space out wide he'll score.

Not good enough for pro rugby.

He's moved back to Russia and is playing there professionally. He has gotten a couple of caps for their international side as well. Was a very talented youngster, played for Ireland up to u20s but just didn't really build on his promise unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

RockRory wrote: »
    Cormac Dowling ( Pres Bray ) 96 Leinster u18 and Ireland u18, never heards off after :rolleyes:
    i played a match with him back in 1994...hilariously quick. might have been too small

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 hiney

crotty is still playing at under 21s level in Marys , He just hasn't improved from schools level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Hugh Carolan.

Schoolboy soccer international, schoolboy rugby international, and minor football All Ireland winner with Meath in early 90s. I remember a newspaper article interviewing him when he joined Blackrock RFC and seemed set for greatness. Last I ever heard of him. Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Diarmuid McCarthy - Remember that centre for Castletroy? Unbelievable talent yet didn't feature in the Munster or Ireland youth squads.

I asked about this lad on this forum a few months back and someone replied saying he was injured...and hadn't yet got back to full match fitness. He's in the Munster Academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

madds wrote: »
    I asked about this lad on this forum a few months back and someone replied saying he was injured...and hadn't yet got back to full match fitness. He's in the Munster Academy.

He's playing on the wing for Garryowen, still u-20 but seemingly he's not sure if he wants to play professionally.

Des Dillon is a great lost player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

[Jackass] wrote: »

Crotty I think got career ending injury.

Thats incorrect.

McCarthy took a few years out of the game as far as i know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

I was always wondering what happened to that massive prop Nermin Lovic from Belvo a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,579 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Players not making or fulfilling expected potential is just the nature of sport - I remember a good few years ago when Simon Geoghan started, a scrum half made his debut as captain of Ireland, after a year never heard off again - there are so many players that fail to make it , I think it takes more than talent, dedication is the big one - players also peak at different times, BOD was apparently nothing too special in school

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

thebaz wrote: »
    Players not making or fulfilling expected potential is just the nature of sport - I remember a good few years ago when Simon Geoghan started, a scrum half made his debut as captain of Ireland, after a year never heard off again - there are so many players that fail to make it , I think it takes more than talent, dedication is the big one - players also peak at different times, BOD was apparently nothing too special in school
    Ciaran Scally was the SH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Ciaran Scally was the SH
    ****ed his knee quite soon after that afaik..

Des Dillon kept playing after school, played some academy stuff, but never quite made it in senior ranks. Was rock club captain couple of years ago afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

david mccalister outhalf for leinster at youths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

damnyanks wrote: »

Didn't he go to Italy for a while then come back to one of the AIL clubs - Belvo or Bective??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Clare_Guy

thebaz wrote: »
    Geoghan, was that the blonde fella who was outstanding in the world cup that lomu dominated? If so, he was an unbelievable talent but I'm fairly certain that injury finished his career. Terrible pity coz I think (in my limited knowledge of rugby) that he could've been one of the great. Him and BOD on the same team would've made ireland a fearsome side...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Gary Brown never fulfilled his early potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

****ed his knee quite soon after that afaik..

Des Dillon kept playing after school, played some academy stuff, but never quite made it in senior ranks. Was rock club captain couple of years ago afaik

Did Des Dillon not play part of a season with Ospreys as well as play for Leinster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Dillon is currently Captain for Rock this yr too!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭thebossanova

Gary Brown never fulfilled his early potential.

He had an unbelievable 1st season! Brendan Burke as well never came through. Think Burke is in the English 1st Division, maybe Cornish Pirates?

He had an unbelievable 1st season! Brendan Burke as well never came through. Think Burke is in the English 1st Division, maybe Cornish Pirates?

I believe it's the Bedford Blues he plays for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I believe it's the Bedford Blues he plays for now.

How long was it that he was at Leinster? Was it 2003/4 or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Ceartgoleor

damnyanks wrote: »

He's been playing AIL for Terenure for years now, hes just not good enough for the step up, he didn't disappear

How long was it that he was at Leinster? Was it 2003/4 or something?

He was on the Leinster books for a few seasons as far as I know. Three I think.

EDIT: Just googled it, apparently he was at leinster from '03 to '06.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

He was on the Leinster books for a few seasons as far as I know. Three I think.

EDIT: Just googled it, apparently he was at leinster from '03 to '06.

I thought he was only there a season. Wow.

I thought he was only there a season. Wow.

Might have only played for the firsts for one season, either that or the internet is lying to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Might have only played for the firsts for one season, either that or the internet is lying to me.

Brendan Burke you're talking about? Definitely at Leinster for more than 1 season.

danthefan wrote: »
    Brendan Burke you're talking about? Definitely at Leinster for more than 1 season.

Yeah Brendan Burke. I thought so too. My googling was right so, he was at leinster from '03 to '06.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Burke was a great broken field runner if I recall correctly. Ross McCarron is another Leinster guy who gave up just as he was starting to get places.

Advertisement