Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Apart from the recently added soundtrack and titles you would class this footage as diddle-eye guff ?

You would have loved Pat shortt's "Inside the crystal ball" last night so.
    More licence money well spent.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, yes I would. "look at the Irish, lets laugh at how poor and primitive they are". Particularly as its trying to present film footage (so 1880s or later) as being from the famine (1840s)....

I never said everything RTE makes is high quality. I'd wager that that Pat Shortt show got enough audience share to cover its costs in ad revenue, though. Not a cent of licence money actually goes on shows like it, Fair City, Killanskully, etc - as they cover their costs. As does the entire operation of 2FM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

some1 has to pay Pat Kenny Gerry Ryan amoung others their Obscene Salaries
    So if you feel your getting value for the €160 then pay the Tv Licence with pleasure

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

SIX PACK wrote: »
    some1 has to pay Pat Kenny Gerry Ryan amoung others their Obscene Salaries
    So if you feel your getting value for the €160 then pay the Tv Licence with pleasure

Prior to the recession, Gerry Ryan took in more ad revenue off his radio show alone than his salary. Revenue has fallen but so has his salary, so I'd assume its the same now. He also does TV work, remember.

The licence fee pays for niche/minority programming, childrens programming, news, documentaries, higher-end dramas, Irish language content and the like. It doesn't pay for Pat Kenny, Gerry Ryan, Tubridy and the like. Of all the high-paid RTE 'names' Marian Finucane is the one who's least likely to cover her costs of any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MYOB wrote: »
    Yes, yes I would. "look at the Irish, lets laugh at how poor and primitive they are".

Where is the diddle-eye, toura-loura-lie, and comely maidens dancing at the crossroads you mentioned.
    I see no Darby O'Gill.
    Prior to the recession, Gerry Ryan took in more ad revenue off his radio show alone than his salary.

You make it sound like a bonus.
    Of course he should pull in enough to cover his salary, otherwise he would be propped up like the rest.
    Imagine saying the same about an advertising executive......"Prior to the recession, the advertising executive took in more ad revenue than his salary".
    It should be par for the course or you are out the gap.
    He also does TV work, remember.

Remember, will I ever forget?
    Secrets, shudder.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Where is the diddle-eye, toura-loura-lie, and comely maidens dancing at the crossroads you mentioned.
    I see no Darby O'Gill.

You don't need leprechauns to make it twee, patronising, and most of all - crap.
    mikom wrote: »
    You make it sound like a bonus.
    Of course he should pull in enough to cover his salary, otherwise he would be propped up like the rest.
    Imagine saying the same about an advertising executive......"Prior to the recession, the advertising executive took in more ad revenue than his salary".
    It should be par for the course or you are out the gap.

Again with the analogies that aren't analogous...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭amovingstatue

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It would because you're still picking up TV on it.

yeah :) i was thinking along the lines of a satellite tuner connected to a monitor myself via hdmi out to dvi in but reading the wording of the requirement, it refers to reception of broadcast television signals. It doesn't mention whether they're terrestrial Irish or foreign services, if they're broadcast tv signals then the equipment meets the requirement. A dvd player with hdmi out connected to a monitor should be fine though and fairly cheap these days come to think of it.

Dunnes had a Bush HDMI DVD player for something along the lines of 18 euro a while ago, its the monitor that'll be >100 still.

You can adapt HDMI to DVI to use an older monitor and put computer speakers on the audio line out on the DVD player too. Adapter is about a 5er, computer speakers and a phono->3.5 adapter is under 30 quid and you could get a old small DVI capable LCD monitor off adverts for free or ebay for a tenner these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭amovingstatue

Dunnes had a Bush HDMI DVD player for something along the lines of 18 euro a while ago, its the monitor that'll be >100 still.

You can adapt HDMI to DVI to use an older monitor and put computer speakers on the audio line out on the DVD player too. Adapter is about a 5er, computer speakers and a phono->3.5 adapter is under 30 quid and you could get a old small DVI capable LCD monitor off adverts for free or ebay for a tenner these days...

yep good point need sound, but as you say a pair of speakers does it. I do know people who have a tv only for dvd playback and don't have a pc so it is valid alright.

€18 for a dvd player. I remember paying £650 for a vhs player one time. Mind you that vhs player (top loader) still works, not sure how long the bush player would last :rolleyes: don't make 'em like they used to... those were the days etc etc :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Blackbetty68

yep good point need sound, but as you say a pair of speakers does it. I do know people who have a tv only for dvd playback and don't have a pc so it is valid alright.

€18 for a dvd player. I remember paying £650 for a vhs player one time. Mind you that vhs player (top loader) still works, not sure how long the bush player would last :rolleyes: don't make 'em like they used to... those were the days etc etc :p

whaaaaaaaa

• Advertisement
Advertisement