Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Pay it for your own sake, I got caught and had to leave the country with the shame. Left a wife and three kids behind. Tried all the excuses, but none of them worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Pay it for your own sake, I got caught and had to leave the country with the shame. Left a wife and three kids behind. Tried all the excuses, but none of them worked.

Surely you could have sold your wife and 3 kids for €160 on ebay? :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Surely you could have sold your wife and 3 kids for €160 on ebay or something? :confused:

You obviously haven't met my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,280 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

You obviously haven't met my wife.

pic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

You can use a TV for more than watching broadcasts. I have no arial connected to my tv as I only use it for playing games consoles. If RTE got rid of advertisements, had some cop on with the wages they pay, and started making good shows, I'd happily hook up my TV, pay the fee, and watch. Until then, I'm not paying for a service I dont want, like, or use.

Play your games on a monitor then, or remove the tuner from the TV.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    pic?

No I already have one thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Play your games on a monitor then, or remove the tuner from the TV.

Or just not pay the TV licence... Seems easier. I'm not going to go to the hassle of voiding my TV's warranty, and then having to prove that I've done so, when I can just ignore the letters / callers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Get a big ass computer monitor, buy an external tuner, and hide the external tuner should the 'inspector' obtain a search warrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

JUST BEND OVER AND PAY!!!!!!

Their goin to screw you either way, might as well get it done without the court appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Dan Dare

Used mine as roach paper.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

So let me get this straight. I don't have to pay a TV licence if I don't have a TV??

IIRC the fact that I have a laptop which is capable of receiving TV signals (regardless of whether or not I have a tuner) is means to pay the license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Bought one because the inspector came around, but I got away with it for a long time. Moving house next month, not changing address and not buying one either. Fcuk them. I heard it was against EU law, so I don't think I will be paying the fine or going to jail either. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Question, do you have to pay it if you have a TV but don't actually have any channels? Like not even RTÉ or whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Laptop without tuner = no licence required (yet ?)
    Laptop with tuner = licence required
    TV set (unless tuner removed) regardless of what channels available =licence required
    Aerial but no TV = Licence inspectors say you need a licence (obviously never heard of aerials for FM radio) :rolleyes:
    you need a tv licence for having a piece of equiptment that can recieve television signals.

The "i dont watch irish tv" argument doesnt stand up.

Maybe not in a court of law but out here in the real world.......:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Tv licence used to be only fifteen pounds,it didn't get any better so why the hike.It was 50 pounds and then whopping 115 euro and then to 150 euro to 160 euro :rolleyes: I think you pay the extra for tg4 lmao

Yeah i didn't have one for like 3 years lmao i thought landlord paid it but 7 years now paying the damn thing.Only for kids i wouldn't have a tv at all :D

I know someone who got rid of all incoming cable and had tv for DVDs and still had to pay.So you are paying for a tv you paid taxes when you bought even without channels:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Just to warn ya, the lads in my old house didn't get a licence and one day the inspector actually showed up. He didn't fine them but they had to pay the licence fee. So it does happen, it's not empty threats.

I fooking HATE TV licences. How dare they charge us to watch TV? Especially sh1te like RTE. I'm living in London now and keep getting those threatening letters. I don't have a TV or a tuner thing on my laptop and I don't appreciate letters telling me I'm a criminal for not having a licence for my non-existant TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Just to warn ya, the lads in my old house didn't get a licence and one day the inspector actually showed up. He didn't fine them but they had to pay the licence fee. So it does happen, it's not empty threats.

The best reason for not getting a licence ever.
    Don't pay until you get caught.
    Kind of a pay-as-you-go system.

By the way, the inspector hasn't got the authority to fine them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

mikom wrote: »
    The best reason for not getting a licence ever.
    Don't pay until you get caught.
    Kind of a pay-as-you-go system.

By the way, the inspector hasn't got the authority to fine them.

Better yet, don't open the door to unexpected visitors and it's free :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OP, get a moat around your home and lets see the inspector getting in then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If an inspector did arrive would the situation not just play out like this:

Inspector: Can I see your TV license?
    Me: I don't have a TV (lying obviously)
    Inspector: Can I come in to check so?
    Me: No
    Inspector: Oh right...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    not really sure what forum to post this on, but ill try here...

Got a letter in the post this morning informing me that my house hasnt got a TV license on record and that an inspector will be in the area in the near future. it also goes on to say that its €160 or something for the license.

Now, i'm a pretty broke student, but some of my housemates are even more broke than me, so getting 40 euro from each of them isnt gonna be easy. i can barely get bills paid because they take soo long to come up with the cash.

My question is, should i get a license, or is the letter just some bluff and no inspector is really coming.

i wouldnt mind paying if it wasnt so expensive, and if i ever watched rte, but the channel is crap whenever i turn it on and it just seems a little rich to be paying for something i dont use..

Was the letter addressed to you? If the letter wasn't addressed to you then return it.

WeeBushy wrote: »
    If an inspector did arrive would the situation not just play out like this:

Inspector: Can I see your TV license?
    Me: I don't have a TV (lying obviously)
    Inspector: Can I come in to check so?
    Me: No
    Inspector: Oh right...

If only,they have on record you are receiving cable at your residence and then tell you,
    Inspector: sir we may return with a summons if you do not allow entry,and you receive fine and or imprisonment.

caseyann wrote: »
    If only,they have on record you are receiving cable at your residence and then tell you,
    Inspector: sir we may return with a summons if you do not allow entry,and you receive fine and or imprisonment.

Damn... Well in that case when their off getting their summons I'll get a license then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Damn... Well in that case when their off getting their summons I'll get a license then ;)

So no different to letting them in, them seeing the TV and telling you you have to go and get a license. ;)

How long are you out of tv licence.They gave me three months more to get mine when i rang and asked them,told them hadn't got the money.

How long are you out of tv licence.They gave me three months more to get mine when i rang and asked them,told them hadn't got the money.

Not sure tbh I moved into my apartment a couple of months ago. My bro was living there before but I doubt he had one. Could be a long time by now :o

Not sure tbh I moved into my apartment a couple of months ago. My bro was living there before but I doubt he had one. Could be a long time by now :o

Just start buying the stamps and if someone arrives show them the book ;) and they will give you more time to get it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

D'ont give your real name.

If it goes to court the summons will be in somebody elses name.

Just start buying the stamps and if someone arrives show them the book ;) and they will give you more time to get it :D

Do I have to keep a stamp collection as well? I'm sorry, I'm very confused...

• Advertisement

Do I have to keep a stamp collection as well? I'm sorry, I'm very confused...

Lmao :D No you buy stamps for tv licence in post office they give you a book and stick them in it.When you have them all you can buy your tv licence with them;)

Advertisement