Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

aDeener wrote: »
    someone living in/from ireland who has NEVER watched rte, yeah fcuking right :rolleyes:

1) Parts of Ireland (even RoI) cant get a TV signal from RTE
    2) "Never" is irrelevent a TV licence only covers a one year period.
    3) Lots of people from Poland, Slovakia etc live in Ireland and dont watch RTE they may have dishes to get TV from their home countries.
    4) There really are people out there with no TV sets. They may or may not get to see a bit of RTE (willingly or otherwise) when visiting friends/the pub but one doesnt need a licence for that.
    5) There really are people from Ireland who DO have TV sets and can get but dont watch RTE. Most of RTE's television output is pure cack.
    Iolar wrote: »
    AFAIK Rte Player isnt in the License remit
    You might want to check up on recent broadcast legislation. I believe they may have changed this (not 100% sure)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    1) Parts of Ireland (even RoI) cant get a TV signal from RTE
    2) "Never" is irrelevent a TV licence only covers a one year period.
    3) Lots of people from Poland, Slovakia etc live in Ireland and dont watch RTE they may have dishes to get TV from their home countries.
    4) There really are people out there with no TV sets. They may or may not get to see a bit of RTE (willingly or otherwise) when visiting friends/the pubbut one doesnt need a licence for that.
    5) There really are people from Ireland who DO have TV sets and can get but dont watch RTE. Most of RTE's television output is pure cack.

You might want to check up on recent broadcast legislation. I believe they may have changed this (not 100% sure)

so in an entire year rte has never been watched by these people, again that is pure bull. stop trying to make up pathetic excuses for not paying. just man up and say your too mean to pay

aDeener wrote: »
    so in an entire year rte has never been watched by these people

In the cases of 1 and 4 well duh yeah

In the case of 3 and particularly 2 who are you to call them liars ? Did you watch any Televizija Polska in the last year. Dont say no or Ill call you a ****ing liar etc etc....... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,071 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its wholly irrelevant if you don't watch RTE.

The licence is not levied by RTE.
    It does not go to RTE in its entirity.
    That which does go to RTE also funds its radio stations
    And its transmisison network, from which its highly likely any radio you do listen to (even non-RTE) is transmitted.

If you own a television tuner, of any description (including a cable/sat box as someone claimed weren't covered earlier), you have to pay it. Its not a large amount of money - if you can afford a TV, you can afford. Just pay the damn thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    if you can afford a TV, you can afford. Just pay the damn thing.

Er. one can pick up a fairly decent TV in Lidl for a payment of around half the cost of a years TV licence.

And a TV set is a once off purchace. A licence is an annually recurring tax. Have you never heard of anyone losing their job/falling on hard times etc ?

And the thread seems to be more concerned with the alleged inequity/poor value/general principle of the TV licence tax rather than ability to pay. Indeed I dont believe a single poster (until now) has referred to ability to pay as being an issue (although it is for some people)
    its highly likely any radio you do listen to (even non-RTE) is transmitted
    Many radio stations dont use the RTE network (and those which do pay handsomly for the privelage) In any case the radio licence was abolished in the early seventies so radio is pretty irrelevent.

Er. one can pick up a fairly decent TV in Lidl for a payment of around half the cost of a years TV licence.

And a TV set is a once off purchace. A licence is an annually recurring tax. Have you never heard of anyone losing their job/falling on hard times etc ?

And the thread seems to be more concerned with the alleged inequity/poor value/general principle of the TV licence tax rather than ability to pay. Indeed I dont believe a single poster (until now) has referred to ability to pay as being an issue (although it is for some people)

Many radio stations dont use the RTE network. In any case the radio licence was abolished in the early seventies so radio is pretty irrelevent.

An €80 TV is not "fairly decent" no matter how you swing it. Most of the people on this thread gloating about not paying it have admitted to owning things costing far, far more than €80.

There are very few radio stations in Ireland who are completely independent of RTENL's network - which radio licence or not, is funded by RTE and access given at below commercially viable rates for competiton reasons. A few local stations (including all the Dublin ones) are about all who don't use RTENL. TodayFM relies on it entirely, I believe.

If you don't want to pay the TV licence, get rid of all TV tuners and stop moaning. Its only ever tight whingebags that complain about it. Nearly all of those that can't afford it get it free off the DSFA anyway.

If you don't want to pay the TV licence, get rid of all TV tuners and stop moaning.
    Why should people give up their British/Polish TV because they dont want to pay for channels they dont watch ? Why should Playstation/DVD users invalidate their display devices warranty and incur the expense of having an unused tuner removed ? And why should non tuner owners continue to face official harrasment from the licence inspectors ?
    Its only ever tight whingebags that complain about it.

Take it you would have no problem with an Irish version of the poll tax ?
    Nearly all of those that can't afford it get it free off the DSFA anyway.
    Along with their free cars and houses I suppose :rolleyes:

Why should people give up their British/Polish TV because they dont want to pay for channels they dont watch ? Why should Playstation/DVD users invalidate their display devices warranty and incur the expense of having an unused tuner removed ? And why should non tuner owners continue to face official harrasment from the licence inspectors ?

1: Because the licence is on having a TV, not watching RTE
    2: Because the licence is on having a TV, not watching RTE
    3: Because of the very high rate of evasion. The majority of "I don't have a TV" response are from people who certainly do. If people pay the licence when they're meant to, this will stop.
    Take it you would have no problem with an Irish version of the poll tax ?

Living is not optional. Television certianly is.
    Along with their free cars and houses I suppose :rolleyes:

Household Benefits Package. Very real, very specific.

1: Because the licence is on having a TV, not watching RTE
    2: Because the licence is on having a TV, not watching RTE

Repeatedly quoting the criteria for liability a licence fee tax does not in any way address the issues surrounding the inequity of this form of taxation (or the wastefulness and frivolity of the manner in which revenue from this taxation is spent.)
    Its only ever tight whingebags that complain about it.

Resorting to cheap insults and ridiculous stereotypes is a sure sign of the strength of ones argument ?

• Advertisement

Repeatedly quoting the criteria for liability a licence fee tax does not in any way address the issues surrounding the inequity of this form of taxation

How is there *any* inequity? You own a TV tuner, you're liable for the licence fee. It is a licence for owning a TV tuner. What you chose to do with your tuner(s) is up to you.
    Resorting to cheap insults and ridiculous stereotypes is a sure sign of the strength of ones argument ?

Something can't be a "ridiculous stereotype" when it is, in fact, true.

Living is not optional. Television certianly is.

OK then how would you be with a window tax (and dont give me "I only use Linux" excuse)
    Something can't be a "ridiculous stereotype" when it is, in fact, true.

(facepalm)

OK then how would you be with a window tax (and dont give me "I only use Linux" excuse)

Windows are essential in a building, look at the natural light requirements for office developments for instance, or the building regulations for homes.

A TV is not essential and no amount of horrifically stupid analogies will change that.

Windows are essential in a building

Havent heard of anyone ever dying from working in a windowless office ?

They're still a legal requirement.

Your arguments are getting even more nonsensical at this stage. Attempting to argue that a television tuner is equivalent to a WINDOW is about the most pathetic thing I've seen an anti-licence whinger do.

A TV is not essential .
    Show me where anyone in this thread has suggested otherwise
    They're still a legal requirement..
    Used to work in a windowless office. Can I sue ?
    Attempting to argue that a television tuner is equivalent to a WINDOW .....

In all probability the view from my window (dense freezing fog/pitch dark) is more interesting than whatevers on RTE right now.:P

Show me where anyone in this thread has suggested otherwise

You have repeatedly compared the TV to essential items - such as LIVING and a WINDOW.
    Used to work in a windowless office. Can I sue ?

Possibly. If you complained to your employers about ventilation or lighting and they did nothing to rectify it.

But this is just you attempting to carry along with a stupid analogy. The TV licence is nothing like a window tax, and you know that.

attempting to carry along with a stupid analogy.

Not half as stupid as implying that those complaing about ANY tax (regardless of how excessive or unfairly applied) levied on an item you arbitrairly deem to be "non essential" are "tight whingebags"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Nah, we got those letters about the licence. It expiered in august this year.

Had the inspector round once. he knew we didn't have a licence and said "We're not out to do people, but we'll be back in x time, so if you just have on then...."

We did, he did, happy days.

Not half as stupid as implying that those complaing about ANY tax (regardless of how excessive or unfairly applied) levied on an item you arbitrairly deem to be "non essential" are "tight whingebags"

You haven't provided an example of how a fee on owning a TV tuner is, or indeed can be, unfairly applied. You own a tuner, you become liable for the fee. End of.

I also didn't "arbitarily deem" a TV to be non-essential, it IS non-essential. Or are you going to claim that those on here who don't have one are somehow deprived for not having one?

And yes, someone who can afford and owns a TV tuner, can afford a computer and internet access and complains at paying a very small amount of money to avoid a court apperance *is* a tight whingebag. Those that can't afford it (and don't get one off the DSFA) aren't on boards moaning about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

what does the licence cover?

owning a tv set?
    the receiving of channels? (and if channels only the irish channels?)

because i have a tvset i use for sky and for my xbox not sure if i would need a tv licence?

owning a tv set?
    the receiving of channels? (and if channels only the irish channels?)

because i have a tvset i use for sky and for my xbox not sure if i would need a tv licence?

Owning a TV set. You need a licence, assuming you're in Ireland and nobody else in the house already has one.

You haven't provided an example of how a fee on owning a TV tuner is, or indeed can be, unfairly applied. You own a tuner, you become liable for the fee. End of.

On this and other threads Several posters have described how this tax is unfair (both inherently and in the manner in which its applied). I do not propose to repeat these points
    a very small amount of money to avoid a court apperance.
    Gawd forbid that anyone would ever resort to a little civil disobedience in order in protest against an unfair tax/law

owning a tv set?
    the receiving of channels? (and if channels only the irish channels
    The former i.e. possessing (not necessairly owning) a TV set.

Under the law in Ireland as it stands you are supposed to have one

On this and other threads Several posters have described how this tax is inherently unfair. I do not propose to repeat these points

Except nobody has, most certainly not you in your infracted rant you link to. You've "never heard" of people being hassled about licences for cars - clearly you've never heard of a 'Garda Checkpoint' before. Ditto gun licences are checked at hunts and the like. TVs are used in homes and businesses hence the only place to check is there.

You own a TV, you are liable for the licence. Black and white. Nothing fair or unfair about it. The "points" you link to are whimpers about "but I only use the TV for...". These are irrelevant, its a TV.

Gawd forbid that anyone would ever resort to a little civil disobedience in order in protest against an unfair tax/law

Its not unfair in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Except nobody has, most certainly not you in your infracted rant you link to. You've "never heard" of people being hassled about licences for cars - clearly you've never heard of a 'Garda Checkpoint' before. Ditto gun licences are checked at hunts and the like. TVs are used in homes and businesses hence the only place to check is there.

You own a TV, you are liable for the licence. Black and white. Nothing fair or unfair about it. The "points" you link to are whimpers about "but I only use the TV for...". These are irrelevant, its a TV.

Its not unfair in the slightest.

You can't win this argument!

Its like people from ROI moaning about being clamped for road tax out of date up North! Just get your fecking car taxed then and stop blaming the authorities!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Aside from the ROI and UK, what other countries require you to have TV licences?

Slugs wrote: »
    Aside from the ROI and UK, what other countries require you to have TV licences?

Virtually *all* of Europe. Ours is amongst the cheaper ones too.

In Greece they refuse to believe you could possibly not have a TV, anywhere; and chuck the licence on to your electricity standing charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Cheers for clearing that up. I personally don't see the point in the licence. I mean with other licences, like for example a driver's licence, it's to show that you're a competitent driver. What're you competitent with as regards a tv, changing the channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

In the cases of 1 and 4 well duh yeah

In the case of 3 and particularly 2 who are you to call them liars ? Did you watch any Televizija Polska in the last year. Dont say no or Ill call you a ****ing liar etc etc....... :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:
    Back to cavan with you... Polish TV channels aren't exactly broadcast widely here you know, cop on with your stupid analogies and pay your licence fee you tight arse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

When you've worked in a windowless office for 6 months, come back and tell us how depressed you felt...

Advertisement